Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,771 members, 7,817,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph (4006 Views)

Link To Download Bollywood Films(indian Movies) / Nollywood In The Future / How Aesthetic Is Nollywood In the Use of Proverbs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by AloyEmeka6: 6:58pm On Oct 22, 2009
In Garden City , Bollywood meets Nollywood
By Chuks Nwanne

FOR the first time, Bollywood, rated the largest movie producer in the world will meet Nollywood, the second largest producer of movies in terms of titles at the Ion International Film Festival (IONIFF) billed for Port Harcourt in December. Already, Parminder Vir OBE has been appointed programme consultant for the session aimed at connecting the two movie industries.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/22/1.html

An award-winning film and television producer of drama, documentary, current affairs and entertainment with over 20 years experience, Parminder has worked with BBC, ITV, Channel Four and Carlton Television. Her credits include Babymother, reggae musical, with acclaimed documentaries such as Algeria Women at War, The Sex Warriors and the Samurai. She is also the Managing Director of PVL Media Consultants, which specializes in accessing multi cultural markets and raising private equity finance for film and media businesses as well as a non-executive director of Goldcrest Films, advising on investment of an EIS Film fund.

A former manager in charge of Ingenious World Cinema, an equity fund set up by Ingenious Media Investment, investing in feature films from the emerging markets, Parminder is pleasantly surprised at the positive reception Bollywood movies had enjoyed in Nigeria for over 50 years.

"Nigerians have been watching Bollywood movies, embracing the songs, fashion and stories of the film culture. I am always amazed at the ease with which Nigerians will recall the names of the Bollywood stars, the dialogue and even sing the songs, given that this is not their language or culture. Over the years, I have become a great admirer of the Nollywood film industry, which is very similar to the Bollywood film industry with their "can do" attitude. In the absence of government support, both have created an industry which contributes substantially to the wealth of the nation."

As part of the programme for the IONIFF, leading Bollywood producers will be invited to share their experience of the industry, its cultural and economic value, and explore collaboration opportunities for Nollywood producers to work with the Indian film industry. There will also be a panel discussion on new models of financing media in terms of developing creative and financial partnerships and accessing new market.

The synergy between both movie industries will also be buttressed by celebrating the stars of the world's largest film industries by inviting a major Bollywood celebrity to attend the festival as guest of honour.

Meanwhile, in a bid to empower the emerging talent during the festival, the organisers of the event has announced the opening of entries for the workshop series which will be held alongside the international film fiesta in Port Harcourt.

According to the Creative Director, Omcomm, Caterina Bortolussi, the workshop series registration officially commenced on October 1 and would run till October 30, to allow interested individuals submit entries for the workshop on Omcomm website. The 3-day workshop, which will be handled by international recognised instructors in the world of cinema is open to filmmakers, students and creative minds from all over Nigeria. It will focus on screen-writing, digital cinematography + lighting, sound composition, budgeting + networking + financing.

Attendees will learn amongst others how to develop story from an idea and shape into screenplay, the basic techniques of digital cinematography and lighting, the role of art director, the function of music in film in creating an atmosphere; examining the step-by-step on how to create a budget, and how to develop a strategy to obtain finances for their films.

In the spirit of promoting intellectual development and participation of young talents, the organisers waive the course fee, while interested participants are expected to pay a token of N2, 500 as registration fee for the workshop that is expected to parade Julie Dash, John Demps, Kennard Ramsey and Brenda Doby-Flewellyn as facilitators.

Julie Dash is an accomplished African American and the first woman to have a full-length general theatrical release in the United States. Her work, Daughters, was listed in O Magazine among its fifty greatest Chick Flicks, while she was honoured earlier this year at the twenty-fifth Annual Newark, with her film Daughter of the Dust, rated as one of the most important cinematic achievements in Black Cinema in the 20th Century.

Doby-Flewellyn is principal and cofounder of Film Bankers international. She's one of the premier finance professionals in the entertainment industry. She has financed more than 100 feature films and television series with budgets raging from USD 500.000,00 to USD 50.000.000,00

John Demps, who is expected to handle cinematography and lighting workshop, has a long list of television movies, documentary films, studio and independent feature to his credit. Kennard Ramsey, facilitator of the Sound Composition workshop, is an established Hollywood film composer. His work has been released in the Sundance, Toronto and Berlin Film Festival.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by omar22(m): 9:26pm On Oct 22, 2009
Bollywood that hardly allows dark skinned Indians in their movies would think about Nigerians, oh well lets wait and see
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by semid4lyfe(m): 11:33am On Oct 23, 2009
@ Omar22

My thoughts exactly.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
omar22:

Bollywood that hardly allows dark skinned Indians in their movies would think about Nigerians, oh well lets wait and see
you have a good point there.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by THEAMAKA(f): 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2009
DAMN!! i knew omar22 was still creeping around until he saw the perfect thread to POUNCE on.
but what he said is true.

ive noticed that also, when the majority of thier population looks like black people.
racist and biased bollywood. thats why i dont watch their shitty movies.
well ive seen probably 3 of them and they bored me to death.
i guess bollywood isnt my cup of tea.

let them get out of nollywood, abeg!!!
and i hope nollywood wont just welcome them with open arms just because they are foreigners or because they are somewhat "above"
make them go and sit down.

orrrrrr maybe nollywood is still trying to become MORE popular so they are using bollywood.
my advice, use those suckas them dump those suckas. tongue
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by ichommy(m): 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2009
Lol grin
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by ababda: 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2009
as a person from upper egypt in the edfu area or aswan governate, i agree with everything that everyone said here. it seems that bollywood along with the movie industry in egypt is color prejudice. and yes most of the people that live in upper egypt or southern egypt look no different from ethiopians, northern sudanese and somalis. we represent nearly 20 percent of the population, but hardly in our country media as if we are invisible, but we are quite visible in everyday life. yes, i do identify with the darkskinned people in india as far as not being represented.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by ababda: 2:32pm On Oct 23, 2009
in egypt it is the same shit. light vs dark. or muslim vs christian.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by DrLorenz1(m): 3:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
I quite agree with what everyone has said. But the truth is Nollywood is nowhere near where Bollywood has reached. They're far better than Nollywood. But like Omar22 said, let's wait and see. . .
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by AloyEmeka6: 3:55pm On Oct 23, 2009
omar22:

Bollywood that hardly allows dark skinned Indians in their movies would think about Nigerians,  oh well lets wait and see

Do you read something before commenting?. Nollywood is not looking for job in the workshop, rather they both seek to work together for the good of their business. That is called synergy. Technical issues, fan base etc. Nollywood may be whack but they have massive fan base in Africa and Bollywood controls India/Pakistan/Bangladesh etc

They should be carefully anyway because the Indians could be looking to reclaim the African market they lost to Nollywood.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by trunature: 6:18pm On Oct 23, 2009
Let's wait n see[flash=200,200][/flash]
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by mrperfect(m): 6:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
I think the meeting will bring about good development in the industry.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by becomrich15: 7:37pm On Oct 23, 2009
when did they start shoot film in port harcourt. hope she sell.

I do not know if port harcourt have sure a market. most film in nigeria comes from lagos. they are normally produce in lagos and distributed around nigeria. at least 80% of the film, i assume.

I wish her all the lucky.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by MrCrackles(m): 7:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
I laugh with a pacemaker. . . . . grin
Nollyjargons and nollytrash > > > > > > > Sack of rotten onions!
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by cvibe: 8:47pm On Oct 23, 2009
;d
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by PurestBoy(m): 10:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

I laugh with a pacemaker. . . . . grin
Nollyjargons and nollytrash > > > > > > > Sack of rotten onions!

lol, bunch of craps
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by smilyhand(m): 10:49pm On Oct 23, 2009
This is good. India is a great country with lovely people. Wish i could work in Bollywood
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by africhika(f): 11:33pm On Oct 23, 2009
poster, u deserve an award for the most interesting threads
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by THEAMAKA(f): 11:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
ababda:

as a person from upper egypt in the edfu area or aswan governate, i agree with everything that everyone said here. it seems that bollywood along with the movie industry in egypt is color prejudice. and yes most of the people that live in upper egypt or southern egypt look no different from ethiopians, northern sudanese and somalis. we represent nearly 20 percent of the population, but hardly in our country media as if we are invisible, but we are quite visible in everyday life. yes, i do identify with the darkskinned people in india as far as not being represented.
very true.
not too long ago i asked if Egypt had any people that looked black. i know it sounds ignorant but my whole life on TV and everywhere else you only see egyptians that look middle eastern. i hardly ever see the ones that look black.
so it was an honest question.
and i realized egypt is just like India, skin racist!! OR skin biased or whatever you want to call it.

even the Miss Egypt every year could pass for a white or a latina.
i was thinking something is not right there. why is every year the representative is white-looking?
these countries, na wa ooooo.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by DeepSoul(f): 1:50am On Oct 24, 2009
The earlier we learn to look beyond all this negativity, the better for us as a country.

I totally agree that the quality of Nollywood movies is questionable. But there is a but!

Beyond all the negativity, have we stopped to ponder on how many Nigerians Nollywood has employed??

Nollywood is doing what the Nigerian govt has failed to do.

Have we stopped to wonder what the millions of people employed by Nollywood would have been doing in its absence?

Think of all the producers, on-set crew, distributors, actors, etc. Most of them wld have been unemployed.

Nollywood has successfully reduced the unemployment rate in Nigeria.

This, we should be thankful for! Rather than whine and whine like a bunch of old men and women!
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by ababda: 2:28am On Oct 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704bgzMUu7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7PPzQzPsPw&feature=relatedhttp://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dpyramids%2Bof%2Bnuri%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=500&h=333&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F3119%2F3494533466_57788287ec.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fwaltercallens%2F3494533466%2F&size=111k&name=sudan+the+black+, &p=pyramids+of+nuri&oid=68faff53ea1edc20&fr2=tab-web&fusr=retlaw+snell, &no=14&tt=121&sigr=11m8fgdcv&sigi=11gbaitfa&sigb=131v2ejpq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ7li-7Zwo
to amaka:it seems you have a interesting in nile valley culture, i found a few videos on you tube of upper egyptians, however the same ethnities that live in upper egypt, also live in sudan as well and even extends to eritea, for example, nubians, ababda, and other bejas. however, the lastly is a northern sudanese artist by the name of muhammed wardi, that is love throughout parts of upper egypt and the horn of africa even as far a yemen. personally, i think this is what pharaonic court music use to sound like. also since people rave about the egyptian pyramids, i think it is high time that some of the northern sudanese pyramids be on the spotlight : wink
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by ababda: 2:43am On Oct 24, 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/waltercallens/3494533466/
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cVQn7t5rUAY/SfL8zcITL5I/AAAAAAAADgc/_AE2pfC34xI/IGB_9804.JPG
to amaka: here is a few monuments in the sudanese nile valley. i have to show them off, afterall i am part sudanese, but live in egypt for some time.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by lovemoi2(f): 10:37am On Oct 24, 2009
omar22:

Bollywood that hardly allows dark skinned Indians in their movies would think about Nigerians,  oh well lets wait and see

you said it all, notting more to add

by the way all the indians i met wished they are white, go figure

then again in Asia and the middle east dark skin people are not regarded, they are treated with disdain, especcially in Asia

i wount even say what some asians say about blacks, its too much to take
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by lovemoi2(f): 10:42am On Oct 24, 2009
smilyhand:

This is good.  India is a great country with lovely people.  Wish i could work in Bollywood

there is notting so great about the country India angry, it is filled with poverty
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by THEAMAKA(f): 3:31pm On Oct 24, 2009
i dont think places like India or Asia had these "skin problems" until they became more advanced and they had "white-looking" people constantly being thrown in their face as the symbol of beauty.
thats when the self hate starts.

i dont understand.
why does it seem that everywhere white people touch, they infect those places with their foolish mentality?
gosh!

south america, the carribean, africa, asia (mostly south-east), india.
its just sad!!

lovemoi2:

you said it all, notting more to add

by the way all the indians i met wished they are white, go figure

then again in Asia and the middle east dark skin people are not regarded, they are treated with disdain, especcially in Asia

i wount even say what some asians say about blacks, its too much to take
they are the worst for this!
i hate how people equate being white to being better or being at a higher level.
when will people drop this foolish mentality?
MOST OF THE THINGS WHITES HAVE THEY STOLE FROM OTHER PLACES!!
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by lovemoi2(f): 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2009
THE AMAKA:

i dont think places like India or Asia had these "skin problems" until they became more advanced and they had "white-looking" people constantly being thrown in their face as the symbol of beauty.
thats when the self hate starts.

i dont understand.
why does it seem that everywhere white people touch, they infect those places with their foolish mentality?
gosh!

south america, the carribean, africa, asia (mostly south-east), india.
its just sad!!

they are the worst for this!
i hate how people equate being white to being better or being at a higher level.
when will people drop this foolish mentality?
MOST OF THE THINGS WHITES HAVE THEY STOLE FROM OTHER PLACES!!

the worst part of it is that  the white people sadly won, cos in Africa, Asia and the Middle east,  the mentality is that the whiter the better, i mean even Africans are SO color struck( lightskin darkskin crap),

when i travelled to some Asian countries , i was so angry at how they all wished they were white, the darker ones always felt ugly and inferior, and

i saw the same bullshit when i went to the Middle east, i met this beautiful dark skin Arab girl and she was so unhappy cos she said it was hard for her to get a man from her country cos of her skin color, IMAGINE angry
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by sweetpie23: 4:34pm On Oct 24, 2009
so what undecided does that call for a topic both suck anyway tongue
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by kuramo: 5:10pm On Oct 24, 2009
I suspect now that Nollywood has decided to team up with Bollywood you'll start seeing more light skin actors and actresses to the exclusion of dark skin Nigerian actors appearing in Nollywood crap films.
It's only a  matter of time.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by Rebarobyn: 5:30pm On Oct 24, 2009
we're the same people who complain that nollywood has become boring and now they have made a move to spice up things and we are still complaining and being suspicious of everything, haba where is the optimism in this country sef? I think its a honest move by nollywood and I hope they use it wisely in expanding their opportunities and get us at the centre-stage of world entertainment.
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by vislabraye(m): 6:03pm On Oct 24, 2009
Their coming might be good business wise, But some how i am careful about doing business with these sets of people called Indians. I really don't see whats so special about Indians movies ( ofcourse i havent 4gotten that they have very beautiful women grin, that might be an appetizer) apart from slumdog millionaire which was ok. I also know people from the North love Indian movies so much. cool.
If Nollywood should go into contract with these folks, they should really know what in for them
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by Owen2(m): 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2009
Does anyone know when the submission for short films would end?
Re: Bollywood Meets Nollywood In Ph by THEAMAKA(f): 11:04pm On Oct 24, 2009
kuramo:

I suspect now that Nollywood has decided to team up with Bollywood you'll start seeing more light skin actors and actresses to the exclusion of dark skin Nigerian actors appearing in Nollywood crap films.
It's only a matter of time.
i agree.
Ghanaians have already followed the footsteps of Bollywood.
they mostly use the same annoying light skin/biracial actors/actresses in MOST of their movies.
its not like the average ghanaians or most ghanaians look like that anyway.
they use Migid Michel, his wife, Nadia Buari, Van Vicker, this other lady with the last name "Brown", the girl who played Princess Tyra, and there are some others i cant think of.
the only dark skinned people that are really famous and get a lot of move time are Jackie Appiah and this other guy.

the rest are just one or two movie people and you dont see them again.
their industry is what i call biased.
it is only a matter before we might start seeing people like genevieve, stephanie, ini edo, dakore ect being flushed out of nollywood and more caroline ekanmes and lillian bechs and monalisa chindas in movies.
YUCK!!

lovemoi2:

the worst part of it is that the white people sadly won, cos in Africa, Asia and the Middle east, the mentality is that the whiter the better, i mean even Africans are SO color struck( lightskin darkskin crap),

when i travelled to some Asian countries , i was so angry at how they all wished they were white, the darker ones always felt ugly and inferior, and

i saw the same bullshit when i went to the Middle east, i met this beautiful dark skin Arab girl and she was so unhappy cos she said it was hard for her to get a man from her country cos of her skin color, IMAGINE angry

that is horrible!!!
i cant even believe it. what a world. CANT THESE PEOPLE WAKE UP AND SEE WHAT EUROPEANS HAVE DONE TO THEIR MINDS?
just the other day i saw this pretty filipino girl and i really thought she was pretty.
i didnt even notice her darker color or anything like that. that didnt even cross my mind.
and i said "oh i think she is pretty" and some of my other asian friends were like "hell no she's too dark." i was like "huh" cause i never thought of it that way. and they were like she is okay but she is too dark.
another time i saw this cute latino guy and i told my mexican friend i thought he was kinda cute. she was like "that dark kid over there? naw he's not cute at all."
i was like HUH

i feel for this world!!!!!!!!!! WHY?
this was probably never even thought of until whites started parading around their "standard" of beauty showing the world blond hair, pale skin, and blue eyes as the symbol of beauty. many places now wishing they could look like that to be called beautiful.
even in asian countries you have people getting their eye lids done or dying their hair certain colors trying to look white.
can you believe (i think its japan) that you have to have a western look or a "not so asian look" to be on TV? how bleeped up is that?

TSK TSK TSK i don tire oooo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Omotola Returns To Cinema With Private Storm / 12 Myths That Movies Made Us To Believe....see Pics / Link To Download Justice League And Other Intriguing Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.