Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,413 members, 7,954,650 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:56 AM

My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy (792 Views)

Cultural Hypocrisy: How Some People Commit The Worst Attrocities On Earth / The Bro Code All Men In Naija Must Obey / Our Accepting Things As They Are Mentality In Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by Sanchez01: 1:10pm On Oct 19, 2016
Well, I had a little experience recently in my home recently which taught me how hypocritical we can be as Nigerians. I, for one, have always been a fan of the slogan 'buy Naija to grow the Naira' even though the reform of the movement is quite new. Had to deliberately buy a classy Aba shoe (black, with rock solid soles kiss) to demonstrate my loyalty to the Naira cause. And am I proud of the pair? YES! On to the main story...

I recently broke my fridge door shelf bar refrigerator plastic tray rack(whatever that means, but that's what it's called all over cheesy) while trying to smuggle a ball of cabbage into the lowest compartment of the fridge. 'Not again, I muttered.' This is the second broken rack. I threw the first away just because I was angry and I couldn't find time to fix it. All it needed was a glue but I wasn't just elated enough to think about it. Not with this, 'dead body no dey die twice', grin I consoled myself in my typical Urhobo mentality. There's no way I'm losing this rack. I just have to fix it angry

On Saturday (just last week), I took a stroll, on a quest to get a strong SUPER GLUE that could help restore the beauty of my fridge. The most expensive glue should be the strongest (this is my mentality on products and brands overtime and I am not thinking of changing this anytime soon. Quite, fallacious, i know). After walking for over 10 minutes, I got to a store. I think it is safer to break the conversation into the dialogue format for easier read.

Me: Good afternoon, Madam. (I just needed to speak the pidgin English since I don't understand the Igbo Language)
The Woman: Good afternoon
Me: Abeg, I wan buy super glue. Na how much?
The Woman: Na two types dey, oga. I get the one of #30 and the one of #60. Na which one you want.
Me: Make I see the two, abeg. (She went into the shop, found both and handed them to me). Abeg, give me two of this one (pointing to the #60 glue).

She got me another and I paid. I wasn't too convinced about what I bought and I kept staring at the glues while I walked away. In no time, I discovered that the glues were Nigerian made! angry 'This must be fake', I thought to myself. Worst still, Chukwudi and sons LTD (sic) manufactured it shocked shocked shocked. Eh! 'For what?', I unconsciously asked myself. Without wasting time, I turned back towards the store I bought the glues from. Quite uneasy, I spoke up;

Me: Madam, this glue...angry (quite displeased)
The Woman: (Quite surprised) Wetin do am?
Me: (Ignoring her question) Abeg, give me another one if you get.
The Woman: (Still quite surprised) But this one too good na.

We argued back and forth a while while my eyes would run to the 'Chukwudi and sons LTD' at intervals. Finally, I gave up and left. She probably didn't understand why I returned, but to me, I wasn't going to walk for ten minutes only to pop water out of the tiny glue container. 'What if it bonds for a just a little time?', 'what if this, what if that...' kept racing through my mind. I clearly wasn't in the mood for some Nigerian version of what we are not prepared.

Long story short, the glue has held the rack back to the door of the fridge but I have been skeptical and worried for no just cause. Perhaps, it's because the product was made here in Nigeria.

I guess this is perhaps one of the reasons why we struggle with Nigerian-made products. We advocate for them online but would readily shy away from patronizing them all because we are unconsciously stereotyped into believing everything with 'made in Nigeria' inscription must be awful compared to its foreign counterparts. It's a wicked mentality and most of us are guilty of this. I just hope we learn to accept Nigerian-made products and trust them to function well. cry

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by johnwizey: 1:37pm On Oct 19, 2016
U for add the pix of the glue nw
Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by Sanchez01: 1:54pm On Oct 19, 2016
Would add the picture later today or tomorrow. I just don't want to advertise any brand while at it. I hope you understand.

1 Like

Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by mikolo80: 1:25am On Oct 20, 2016
Sanchez01:
Well, I had a little experience recently in my home recently which taught me how hypocritical we can be as Nigerians. I, for one, have always been a fan of the slogan 'buy Naija to grow the Naira' even though the reform of the movement is quite new. Had to deliberately buy a classy Aba shoe (black, with rock solid soles kiss) to demonstrate my loyalty to the Naira cause. And am I proud of the pair? YES! On to the main story...

I recently broke my fridge door shelf bar refrigerator plastic tray rack(whatever that means, but that's what it's called all over cheesy) while trying to smuggle a ball of cabbage into the lowest compartment of the fridge. 'Not again, I muttered.' This is the second broken rack. I threw the first away just because I was angry and I couldn't find time to fix it. All it needed was a glue but I wasn't just elated enough to think about it. Not with this, 'dead body no dey die twice', grin I consoled myself in my typical Urhobo mentality. There's no way I'm losing this rack. I just have to fix it angry

On Saturday (just last week), I took a stroll, on a quest to get a strong SUPER GLUE that could help restore the beauty of my fridge. The most expensive glue should be the strongest (this is my mentality on products and brands overtime and I am not thinking of changing this anytime soon. Quite, fallacious, i know). After walking for over 10 minutes, I got to a store. I think it is safer to break the conversation into the dialogue format for easier read.

Me: Good afternoon, Madam. (I just needed to speak the pidgin English since I don't understand the Igbo Language)
The Woman: Good afternoon
Me: Abeg, I wan buy super glue. Na how much?
The Woman: Na two types dey, oga. I get the one of #30 and the one of #60. Na which one you want.
Me: Make I see the two, abeg. (She went into the shop, found both and handed them to me). Abeg, give me two of this one (pointing to the #60 glue).

She got me another and I paid. I wasn't too convinced about what I bought and I kept staring at the glues while I walked away. In no time, I discovered that the glues were Nigerian made! angry 'This must be fake', I thought to myself. Worst still, Chukwudi and sons LTD (sic) manufactured it shocked shocked shocked. Eh! 'For what?', I unconsciously asked myself. Without wasting time, I turned back towards the store I bought the glues from. Quite uneasy, I spoke up;

Me: Madam, this glue...angry (quite displeased)
The Woman: (Quite surprised) Wetin do am?
Me: (Ignoring her question) Abeg, give me another one if you get.
The Woman: (Still quite surprised) But this one too good na.

We argued back and forth a while while my eyes would run to the 'Chukwudi and sons LTD' at intervals. Finally, I gave up and left. She probably didn't understand why I returned, but to me, I wasn't going to walk for ten minutes only to pop water out of the tiny glue container. 'What if it bonds for a just a little time?', 'what if this, what if that...' kept racing through my mind. I clearly wasn't in the mood for some Nigerian version of what we are not prepared.

Long story short, the glue has held the rack back to the door of the fridge but I have been skeptical and worried for no just cause. Perhaps, it's because the product was made here in Nigeria.

I guess this is perhaps one of the reasons why we struggle with Nigerian-made products. We advocate for them online but would readily shy away from patronizing them all because we are unconsciously stereotyped into believing everything with 'made in Nigeria' inscription must be awful compared to its foreign counterparts. It's a wicked mentality and most of us are guilty of this. I just hope we learn to accept Nigerian-made products and trust them to function well. cry
then the Nigerian makers should give guarantee on their products
That's how you program people to believe in you and also reduce the price cos made in Nigeria should be cheaper

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by Sanchez01: 5:54am On Oct 20, 2016
mikolo80:
That's how you program people to believe in you and also reduce the price cos made in Nigeria should be cheaper
This is indeed funny. I don't remember buying any super glue with a guarantee before. So why should Nigerian made glues put a guarantee on it? Is it really about the guarantee or our unconscious fear that we produce are fakes that wouldn't stand the test of time.

1 Like

Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by onyekaegbo: 6:14am On Oct 20, 2016
mikolo80:
My brother, you're quite right. If they can assure us then we just 'might' try...

Oga Sanchez, thank God you created this topic. The truth is, as a producing nation, I believe we're not there yet, not even ready sef. Something happened to my recently on two different occasions. Unfortunately, I'm going to mention names and be blunt. grin grin grin

I bought a carton of Dangote noodles about five months ago. Not like I liked it though, but I was hell bent on encouraging the Naira. I carried myself to the market to get a carton. Initially I found nothing suspicious until about twenty noodles had left the carton grin grin. And then my woes began... Every noodle I cooked afterwards was incomplete. Noodles, present, seasonings, absent. It happened to well over 10 noodles. I sent the company a mail stating my displeasure and giving details of what happened, for where? Maybe they'll respond tomorrow, don't know about today sha. I sent two different mails and none was acknowledged. Nigerian made oo angry

After that, I bought Tummy Tummy (Sea Food, 120g), hoping Dangote had been done away with for good. For where? This one was even worse. From the very first few sitting at the top of the carton to the middle, there were no seasonings in all, I swear down! I started thinking to myself, (so this Anambra noodles too wan do me shege) Instead of sending a mail. I sent a four paged message to the numbers on the wrapper of the Noodles. About several hours later, someone called, an elderly man called, apologized and said it must be a machine error, blah blah blah... I wasn't asked to pay for a machine error riddled noodles but a full carton, so why the excuse?
Trust me, that was never the end, I discovered that well over 15 noodles were without seasonings (in the entire carton).

The moral of my story: I'm not saying that foreign products don't have issues as this but it is not so great to this extent. Dangote and Tummy Tummy, I believe, are Nigerian made noodles owned by Nigerians. We're clearly not ready. I don't see myself sticking out my neck for their products.
Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by mikolo80: 10:37pm On Oct 21, 2016
onyekaegbo:

My brother, you're quite right. If they can assure us then we just 'might' try...

Oga Sanchez, thank God you created this topic. The truth is, as a producing nation, I believe we're not there yet, not even ready sef. Something happened to my recently on two different occasions. Unfortunately, I'm going to mention names and be blunt. grin grin grin

I bought a carton of Dangote noodles about five months ago. Not like I liked it though, but I was hell bent on encouraging the Naira. I carried myself to the market to get a carton. Initially I found nothing suspicious until about twenty noodles had left the carton grin grin. And then my woes began... Every noodle I cooked afterwards was incomplete. Noodles, present, seasonings, absent. It happened to well over 10 noodles. I sent the company a mail stating my displeasure and giving details of what happened, for where? Maybe they'll respond tomorrow, don't know about today sha. I sent two different mails and none was acknowledged. Nigerian made oo angry

After that, I bought Tummy Tummy (Sea Food, 120g), hoping Dangote had been done away with for good. For where? This one was even worse. From the very first few sitting at the top of the carton to the middle, there were no seasonings in all, I swear down! I started thinking to myself, (so this Anambra noodles too wan do me shege) Instead of sending a mail. I sent a four paged message to the numbers on the wrapper of the Noodles. About several hours later, someone called, an elderly man called, apologized and said it must be a machine error, blah blah blah... I wasn't asked to pay for a machine error riddled noodles but a full carton, so why the excuse?
Trust me, that was never the end, I discovered that well over 15 noodles were without seasonings (in the entire carton).

The moral of my story: I'm not saying that foreign products don't have issues as this but it is not so great to this extent. Dangote and Tummy Tummy, I believe, are Nigerian made noodles owned by Nigerians. We're clearly not ready. I don't see myself sticking out my neck for their products.
you see lack of quality control ba
And besides we still import the wheat flour used to make the pasta
We need to start farming and processing the wheat ourselves
But like you. Said
We need to get our sht together
Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by mikolo80: 10:39pm On Oct 21, 2016
Sanchez01:

This is indeed funny. I don't remember buying any super glue with a guarantee before. So why should Nigerian made glues put a guarantee on it? Is it really about the guarantee or our unconscious fear that we produce are fakes that wouldn't stand the test of time.
guarantee is a sweetener when you're coming from behind
Hyundai guarantee for 5 years where Honda and Toyota do for 3
If you produce fake you will soon be customerless.
Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by Sanchez01: 9:13am On Oct 22, 2016
onyekaegbo:

Hahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin

Funny experiences you painted up there. I once had a very similar experience, to be honest. I think what you should have pointed out is 'Poor resolution handling'. I don't just see how one would be given a guarantee on something as cheap as #50. It doesn't make sense, if you ask me. It's like buying a glue and saying you should be given a degree of guarantee that you'd be able to return it and get your money back if whatever you used it on fails to stay back.
Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by Sanchez01: 9:16am On Oct 22, 2016
mikolo80:
guarantee is a sweetener when you're coming from behind
Hyundai guarantee for 5 years where Honda and Toyota do for 3
If you produce fake you will soon be customerless.
I know, true. However, something as huge as a car, home appliances or something mechanical must come with a guarantee. I'm sure Innoson gives a degree of guarantee on their vehicles but our skepticisms of Nigerian made things won't really give us the assurance we seek.

It goes on to show that we clamour for our products to be used but would never trust them no matter what we're told, Just like in my case with the glue.

Lalasticlala, come help out here...
Re: My Made In Naija Experience: Our Skepticism, Our Hypocrisy by mikolo80: 10:26pm On Oct 22, 2016
Sanchez01:

I know, true. However, something as huge as a car, home appliances or something mechanical must come with a guarantee. I'm sure Innoson gives a degree of guarantee on their vehicles but our skepticisms of Nigerian made things won't really give us the assurance we seek.
I never see am before
Na so so
Non refundable I de see for receipts
And this just makes me wary

It goes on to show that we clamour for our products to be used but would never trust them no matter what we're told, Just like in my case with the glue.
but all it takes is consistency to build a brand name
Look at tecno
It can be done
But I haven't seen the heroes that will do it yet

And yes ppl will buy once it's cheaper
Key soap
Liquid soap etc

Lalasticlala, come help out here...

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Stance On Suicide. / Why Do African Men Love Big Women / The African Invention Of Astrology, Dome Earth And Return Of The Empire Of Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.