Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,672 members, 7,813,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). - Nairaland / General (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). (89603 Views)

COVID –19: Frank Commends Patriotic Nigerians, Corporate Bodies On Donations, Wa / Nigerian 'Rubber Kids' Can Twist Their Bodies Like Snake, Featured On BBC / Barbaric! ISIS Executes 145 Civilians, Hangs Bodies On Electric Poles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by IamGoke(m): 7:06am On May 12, 2018
This is amazing!!
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by TrumpDonald2: 7:09am On May 12, 2018
Explorers:

Lol..Nobody one die now bro. Funny part is, climbing the mountain can be very expensive.

It costs between $50,000 - $100,000 or even more sometimes. From training, to buying of climbing gears/equipments, portable air tank, masks, tents, hiring of a professional climber(s) as guides and so on.

Excluding Visa fee/air ticket to Nepal and hotel accommodations/feeding/medicals for about two weeks or more.

I also learnt tourists/climbers must pay Nepal government about $11,000 before climbing.
Are you kidding me?!
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by dunsin125: 7:12am On May 12, 2018
But wait, does that mean those in cold countries have tendency to live longer than those in the middle east or savanna
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Reference(m): 7:14am On May 12, 2018
When global watming eventually reaches there, that place will stink like hell.

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 7:19am On May 12, 2018
TrumpDonald2:

Are you kidding me?!

Aint kidding you bro, the climbing is not for the poor.

You can do the research on your and see Everest(2015).
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by aysuprano(m): 7:28am On May 12, 2018
YOU cant find a black man in this situation
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ademoladeji(m): 7:36am On May 12, 2018
Explorers:

Aint kidding you bro, the climbing is not for the poor.

You can do the research on your and see Everest(2015).

Can you please enlighten us on Africans who have made it to the crest of Everest
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Explorers(m): 7:41am On May 12, 2018
ademoladeji:

Can you please enlighten us on Africans who have made it to the crest of Everest

The last time i checked, i saw South Africans with their flag at the summit.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Nobody: 7:59am On May 12, 2018
wow, if not for the respect for the memories of the dead climbers, a best selling horror movie can be written and acted from these.

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Donbabaj: 7:59am On May 12, 2018
Explorer. I'm one of your fans. Great job. But like I said, I'm looking forward to your website for obtaining historic enlightment and research.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ademoladeji(m): 8:07am On May 12, 2018
Explorers:

The last time i checked, i saw South Africans with their flag at the summit.

I had to dig up articles on that and I was amazed by the achievement of the south Africans

.....In January 2008, Vilane became the first black African to walk completely unassisted to the South Pole -- "unassisted" meaning that Vilane, along with his summit partner Alex Harris, undertook the journey on foot, dragging all their food and equipment -- weighing 130 kilograms -- behind them.
The pair walked 1,113 kilometers in 65 days in one of the world's most dangerous terrains. Antarctica has the strongest winds on the planet, which can blow at speeds of over 300 kilometers per hour, while temperatures can go down to -40 C.
When they finally reached their destination, they were left with just two days of emergency supplies.
Vilane describes the arduous trek as "the toughest, most challenging thing that one can ever endure," but is quick to add that the experience never got the better of him.
"It never broke me down," Vilane says, "I don't think it made me meet my physical limits yet."
Born in South Africa's north-western province of Mpumalanga, Vilane spent most of his childhood in a remote village in Swaziland.
He says his tough childhood has made him passionate about helping children in need. In 2005, Vilane climbed Everest for a second time, raising $40,000 for two children's charities.
"I've always had the desire to help children. That comes from my childhood -- I was helped by people when I was young and I was using that as a charity climb, so that is what got me back again into climbing," he says.
You've got to dream and then set out to achieve your dreams.
--Sibusiso Vilane

http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/19/sibusiso.vilane.everest/index.html&hl=en-NG

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Nobody: 8:19am On May 12, 2018
toms55:
Explorers good job bro, buh I want to ask can't those bodies be removed using an high altitude powered helicopter or any aircraft from above and flown down?
Helicopters can fly higher than the summit of Everest but landing to take on a passenger or body is dangerous. In some cases a special technique is used.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Unlimited22: 8:30am On May 12, 2018
The only mountain I'm climbing is the hill in Abia State University. Which I have done twice.

2 Likes

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by fashrola(m): 8:33am On May 12, 2018
Explorers:
In the begining, many are called but few are chosen. Starting the expedition, traffic can be seen as climbers sets off.

One by one, they give up and turn back. Less than ten of these climbers will see the summit.

Lalasticlala

For real? lol so they just wasted thousand of dollars to turn back?

I trust no Nigerian will ever turn back on this expedition after spending close to $60,000

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Ishilove: 8:50am On May 12, 2018
joegigs:

Me too at my primary 5.the poem is "the ancient of Everest" Edmond Hillary and tenzing tried to reach the top but never came back again
It wasn't a poem. I read it in Macmillan (I think). Or mastering English.

Why don't they produce books like these anymore?

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Ishilove: 8:58am On May 12, 2018
ideology:
but u did not attend his wedding ... Lover u can lie for Africa
Lol. The venue was in another state. Trust me, had it been in Lagos, I would have stormed there with my convoy cheesy

"Ishilove storms popular Nairalander's wedding in style" tongue

1 Like

Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by bigtt76(f): 9:02am On May 12, 2018
The cost of recovering the bodies is on the surviving family members and is usually too high for them to foot so they decide to leave them there. Some actually recovered the bodies of their loved ones though.

An helicopter can be used since it can be suspended in the air but then most of these bodies are stuck in the snow, it would require more digging etc to free the bodies.

femojie:

Helicopters can fly higher than the summit of Everest but landing to take on a passenger or body is dangerous. In some cases a special technique is used.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ideology(m): 9:49am On May 12, 2018
Ishilove:

Lol. The venue was in another state. Trust me, had it been in Lagos, I would have stormed there with my convoy cheesy

"Ishilove storms popular Nairalander's wedding in style" tongue
na so ...
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by DonMekino(m): 9:59am On May 12, 2018
I once climbed UDI hills.....does it make me a climber?? grin
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by sigmundfreud(m): 10:22am On May 12, 2018
Very informative! Good one Explorer
I was draggged to the top of Olumo rock,...goodluck to you guys that likes heights. grin
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by LargeBreed(m): 10:40am On May 12, 2018
Whites must be crazy.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by lordfalcao(m): 10:42am On May 12, 2018
Explorers:
Saw this movie last night, so touching.

Based on a true life story.

About Robert Edwin "Rob" Hall(14 January 1961 – 11 May 1996) was a New Zealand mountaineer best known for being the head guide of a 1996 Mount Everest expedition in which he, a fellow guide, and two clients perished.

At the time of his death, Hall had just completed his 5th summit of Everest, more at that time than any other non-Sherpa mountaineer.

But during descent with his clients, there was a storm.

A best-selling account of the expedition has been dramatised in the 2015 film, Everest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4964177355

Lalasticlala please grace this thread with more views, everything written here is fact and real. Death toll has even increased.

Just saw the movie yesterday and is a hit.
can I get a download link to the movie? Preferably 480P version
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by lordfalcao(m): 10:42am On May 12, 2018
oyetpel:
Everest and Sherpa, very interesting movie about Mount Everest
bro do you mind sharing a link to this movie? Preferably 480P version??
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Nobody: 10:43am On May 12, 2018
So na 2018 this educative and entertaining thread dey make frontpage? Since 2016? Haba.

Mt. Everest na serious adventure. The stories are so creepy and pathetic.

The Whites are more adventurous than we are, and thats a major reason why they are more progeessive than we are.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by godofuck231: 10:45am On May 12, 2018
Stay your ass at home am tired of talkin! Trouble no de come meet who stay house.
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by samdelaw(m): 10:59am On May 12, 2018
Explorers:
Mountain Everest, the highest point on the planet at a height of 8,848 meters.

Mount Everest's summit is located within the 'death zone,' an area of the mountain which is above 8,000 meters.

In the 'death zone' prolonged life is essentially impossible as the lack of oxygen and pressure means the body will eventually shut down over time.

More than 4,000 people have successfully climbed Mount Everest since Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay became the first recorded climbers to reach the summit in 1953.

But there are many more thousands who tried and failed, with hundreds paying the ultimate price.

Today, it's estimated that there are more than 250 dead bodies resting on the mountain.

Over 250 bodies, left exposed out in the elements, some for decades and well preserved because of the freezing temperature.

Some bodies, like that of a young Indian climber named Tsewang Palijor, are so well-known that they are used as landmarks by other climbers on their way to the peak.

Palijor died during a blizzard in 1996, still wearing his full equipment, including a pair of neon green boots.

For years, climbers on Everest's north side knew they were getting close to the summit if they saw Palijor's body.

When snow cover is light, some climbers have even had to step over his extended legs on their way through.

Why so many bodies remain on the mountain years after the person's death is due to a few different factors.

One, some mountaineers and professional climbers who die on the mountain prefer to remain there, co-opting a tradition from seafarers more than a hundred years ago, according to the BBC.

But the major reason so many bodies are left in open view is due to the expense and danger involved with removing them.

Returning a body to a family can cost thousands of dollars and require help from six to eight people, all of whom may be putting their own lives in danger just to retrieve someone else.

And actually tryingto get a body back down the mountain can be incredibly difficult.

"Even picking up a candy wrapper high up on the mountain is a lot of effort, because it's totally frozen and you have to dig around it," said Ang Tshering Sherpa, president of the Nepal Mountaineering Association to the BBC.

"A dead body that normally weighs 80kg might weigh 150kg when frozen and dug out with the surrounding ice attached."

In 2007, Ian Woodall, a British climber, returned to Everest to bury the bodies of three climbers he passed on his way to the summit.

One of the climbers, a woman named Francys Arsentiev, was still alive when Woodall reached her during his initial ascent.

Her first words to him were"don't leave me behind."

The grim reality, though, is that Woodall could not have done anything for her without jeopardizing his own life or the lives of his team members.

He was forced to leave her to perish alone.

Climbing Mount Everest has become much safer over the past decade thanks to advances in technology and climbing gear.

Satellite phones allow a climber to stay in contact with base camp to get constant updates on weather systems in the area. A better understanding of exactly what kind and how much gear to take has also caused the death toll to drop dramatically.

http://www.starpulse.com/the-problem-with-the-200-dead-bodies-on-everest-1904549061.html

Nice one explorer but according to some research, mount chimborazo in ecuador is the highest point on earth due to the irregular round shape of the earth tho everest is the highest point from sea-level.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9428163 https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/climate-and-environment/ecuadors-mt-chimborazo-is-officially-highest-spot-on-earth/66219
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ruffDiamond: 11:03am On May 12, 2018
something wey Benin airway go climb within sec and down sef ..some even dey do meeting on top sef..

anyway explorer rocks..Edmund Hilary and Norgay Tenzing damn!hair raising experience indeed.. I once read a book on them
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by ruffDiamond: 11:40am On May 12, 2018
24SEVEN:
Mountaineers leaving their fellows who are sick and/or exhausted to die sgows that there is no brother in jungle.
exactly!!!!!!that thought crosses my mind as well..it proves Charles Darwin was right after all...survival of the fittest theory as currently happening in Nigeria now undecided
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Ishilove: 12:18pm On May 12, 2018
oyetpel:
There is a movie titled 'Everest ', it was released in 2015 and It is based on the real events of the 1996 Mount Everest disaster.
Downloading this next week
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by Demmzy15(m): 12:28pm On May 12, 2018
I'd like to climb this mountain, probably be the first Nigerian to reach the summit smiley
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by joegigs(m): 12:40pm On May 12, 2018
Ishilove:

It wasn't a poem. I read it in Macmillan (I think). Or mastering English.

Why don't they produce books like these anymore?
Its like mastering english.Back then our teacher made us carry the whole article off hand.I still could remember most of them
Re: Graveyard At 26000ft, Stories About The Frozen Bodies On Mount Everest(Photos). by justi4jesu(f): 12:43pm On May 12, 2018
braithwaite:

Good one explorers.. persn wey chop belle ful na him go find wetyn go burst the belle..

Mountain climbing among my to do list.. starting with olumo rock and ending with olumo rock.. mountain na mountain.. na size different
wink

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Nairaland Female Members' Pictures Say To Me. / Man Sitting On Nothing Seen In Ikeja (Shocking Photo) / The Snake I Killed In My Compound (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.