Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,370 members, 7,833,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos (1874 Views)

Pictures Of University Of Ilorin, The Better By Far / Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) / Female Student Of University Of Ghana Jumps To Her Death (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Blunttalker: 11:21am On Oct 20, 2016
The incident strikes me, with the clarity of a yesterday happening, to this day. On a cold, drizzling morning, in the year 2013, someone was trying to leap to his death from a three storey floor. He danced, did a short run and stuck out his tongue. I would have guessed he was just a Creative Arts Student, readying for an event. Then he declared, “I am not afraid of the name of Jesus!” A good number of students began to collect, wondering what he was up to. He said, “I am going to jump.”
“Jump, jump,” his spectators jeered at him, calling his bluff. Then he lifted his bulk over the railing and shook the King Jaja Hall of Residence to its foundation. There was a full- throated roar. Then came the Hall Executives, hurrying to the rescue. I remember tweeting, “Thankful for the morning showers, another student trying to attempt a leap of fate.” The gossip mill began to grind- The boy was insane. What was the cause?
I reckon if the boy had made good his suicide bid, people would have been confronted with the sorry tale of what a good student he was. A student on a good standing. Incidents of many a student going crackers on the eve of examination abound in the University of Lagos. Many would attribute this to over-tasking the brain, reading non- stop day and night, until one can read no more, and the brain becomes toast.
But it is not in every situation that “over-reading” should be fingered as the remote cause of a student’s sudden mental imbalance. There is an incipient drug culture in the University of Lagos, and many a student is tailoring his lifestyle to this phenomenon. Either the school management is not aware, or has decided to look away. A veritable place you find adherents congregated is the notorious LONDON BRIDGE in King Jaja Hall. London Bridge is a thoroughfare linking A-wing to B-Wing. Marijuana smokers meet there on a cold, windy evening. It even has a collage of graffiti stating thus, “in weed we trust, in London Bridge…, Illumnichronic…., Money, Pussy and Weed.”
I have seen students swig beer as they read. Shekpe, Bullet, Alomo. There is the legend of an engineering student who made a first-class. It was said that his consumption of Marijuana accounted for his exploit. He weed whenever he had books to read.
“When you smoke the joint,” said an acquaintance, “It opens the brain to assimilate anything.” He went further to state that, “Marijuana smokers are naturally intelligent. It is good for the body.”
That this school of thought have a good number of students (which makes it a school) cannot be gainsaid. Inasmuch as the exploit of the Marijuana scholar amounts to hearsay, it is to be noted that many a student on the streets of the University of Lagos is not well. What would you say of a stranger who walks up to you, dishes you a slap, laughs and takes to his heels? Can you call a person, “normal” who sings by 3 AM every morning, “There is a fire stirring in my balls” Or “Nobody can do me like you”?
Once upon a time, Barbecue Nights were held by every Faculty in the institution, until the present Vice Chancellor deemed it expedient to do away with it. In those evening functions, weed was like a commodity which demand equalled that of garri. Freshmen had their induction into the sizzling night of the institution for which it is famous. The coaxing of a student by his pals to take weed, spirit or whisky is conventionally geared towards determining how high he can get, and recording his moments of vulnerability. I give an example: A friend who attended one of such, had to be wheeled back. He was deposited in the toilet, and as he vomited and defecated on his body, his buddies took snapshots. I have seen people challenge each other to a drinking match: The last man standing. You are cool if you weed, even if you only do it in a party where it is in supply. But it is gospel that the potency of Marijuana makes for religious users.
However, the University of Lagos, is to be credited for organising symposia against the dangers of drug abuse: OUR DRUG STORY: LIFE AS WE DON’T SEE IT. I trust that the school would address this menace within the shortest possible time.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Blunttalker: 12:22pm On Oct 20, 2016
Pls read up and comment. Asante Sana. Ejo. Biko
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 20, 2016
.......but seriously; Weed should be legalized.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by wizard007(m): 1:58pm On Oct 20, 2016
Its a tertiary institution, and you are deem fit an adult to attend, the awareness of the dangers of these vices are everywhere to see, so I really don't see anyone to blame than him and his folks, help me greet 2pac and my grandad on the other side. Rip Stoner

1 Like

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by phrezzz: 3:10pm On Oct 20, 2016
you are just a brilliant writer. wished i had such flare in writing but sadly, Computers and Codes have taken a big part of me.

3 Likes

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by JbravoAdodger(m): 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2016
cocaine is one hell of a drug- ric james
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Rapsowdee01(m): 8:32pm On Oct 20, 2016
Better be careful with what you write online against the government, school senate or the president....

PMB is arresting,

UNILAG is rusticating,

JTF is killing.

2 Likes

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by kristen12(f): 10:07pm On Oct 20, 2016
You focused on Jaja only. Your title is misleading, please change it.
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by babyfaceafrica: 6:23am On Oct 21, 2016
How does this matter?...university if for adults and mature minds,if you like take weed and cocaine,if you like go to church 24/7 ,as long as you pass your exams )ou are good....no one cares

1 Like

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by barnacle: 9:31am On Oct 21, 2016
lovely

1 Like

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by wunderkiind(m): 2:55pm On Oct 21, 2016
Blunttalker:
Pls read up and comment. Asante Sana. Ejo. Biko

Interesting! I thought I read your moniker as 'blunt taker' for a moment though.. hehe

You are such a good writer I must say. Twas indeed a lovely read, albeit eye opening. Kudos man.

1 Like

Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Jamaticulus(m): 6:54pm On Oct 21, 2016
It is what it is....
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Blunttalker: 12:27am On Oct 23, 2016
[quote author=wunderkiind post=50392127]

Interesting! I thought I read your moniker as 'blunt taker' for a moment though.. hehe

You are such a good writer I must say. Twas indeed a lovely read, albeit eye opening. Kudos man. [
/quote]
Thanks
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Blunttalker: 12:28am On Oct 23, 2016
kristen12:
You focused on Jaja only. Your title is misleading, please change it.
Wanted it to arrest attention. Don't take offence
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by Blunttalker: 12:31am On Oct 23, 2016
Rapsowdee01:
Better be careful with what you write online against the government, school senate or the president....

PMB is arresting,

UNILAG is rusticating,

JTF is killing.
Much appreciated bro. They can't get me unless they wish to revoke my certificate
Re: The Narcotic Side Of University Of Lagos by kristen12(f): 8:03am On Oct 23, 2016
Blunttalker:
Wanted it to arrest attention. Don't take offence
No offence at all

(1) (Reply)

Illuminati Brotherhood / Why Do People Smoke Weed? / 10 Things Nd 2 Students Of Fed Poly Nekede Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.