Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,530 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" (39882 Views)

Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos) / Rolls-Royce Of The Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (Photos) / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by vibzy: 5:51am On Oct 21, 2016
WenysAD:
Pls Edolites here help me understand y d oba is always having something to cover his mouth with as seen in almost all pics of him and dat of his wives? Pls wat does it signify?

to the best I can recall, its forbidden once crowned an oba to talk to walk or appear in public without the mouth covered... but as to the exact reason I don't know.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by hardbody: 5:52am On Oct 21, 2016
DEIFIED:
I am Proud to be a benin man,. The royal blood runs in me, lamogun mę tue.
Oba gha tor kpěre. Iseeeee.

Edo lites have suddenly turned all chiefs and no Indians.

Una vredooo

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by emi14: 6:14am On Oct 21, 2016
Colourful but fetish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by jolomiurenyi(m): 6:29am On Oct 21, 2016
THE OLU OF WARRI OGIAME IKENWOLI AT THE CORONATION OF THE OBA OF BENIN, A well respected MONARCH IN NIGERIA.

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by jolomiurenyi(m): 6:34am On Oct 21, 2016
jolomiurenyi:
THE OLU OF WARRI OGIAME IKENWOLI AT THE CORONATION OF THE OBA OF BENIN, A well respected MONARCH IN NIGERIA.

THE WARRI TRADITIONAL COUNCIL
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Etinosajay(m): 6:34am On Oct 21, 2016
eboigbe22:

His father Oba Erediawa was 38th Oba Originally making the Edaiken 39th, but on Coronation and after been guided by the gods he decreed that Orimiyan is the first Oba ahead of Eweka the great, thus now making him the 40th Oba on the throne.
Long live the king, so proud of my home town.

How's the different from what I wrote?

His father was the 39th oba of Benin and he is the 40th oba of Benin.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by adeyinkasegun(m): 7:09am On Oct 21, 2016
O0ni:

How picture from Obatala festival of over 5 years take concern Bini coronation?
. Hmmmmm! U ar ryt! U ar rily Son of d source & soil! Am proud of my Heritage! Ile-Ife.................
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by omodave(m): 7:14am On Oct 21, 2016
Am so happy this happened In my time
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by egopersonified(f): 7:19am On Oct 21, 2016
Can someone tell me who those two men holding the oba hands are? Are they Chief priests?
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by DEIFIED(m): 7:38am On Oct 21, 2016
hardbody:

Edo lites have suddenly turned all chiefs and no Indians.

Una vredooo
What is this one saying.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by legacyint: 7:47am On Oct 21, 2016
[quote author=DEIFIED post=50376072]I am Proud to be a benin man,. The royal blood runs in me, lamogun mę tue.
Oba gha tor kpěre. Iseeeee. [/
Son of the soil,ovie se se ese! Omo na bie se.blue blood runs in our vain.ovieoba me khin..EWEKA is my surname.ugha tor!!
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Onogiede(m): 7:53am On Oct 21, 2016
hardbody:

Mouth odour things.....

Just saying.....

I still fear Edo Jazz oooo

Make una no vezzzz
talk less becos you know nothing edo tradition,.join the winning group, oba gha torkpere iseeeeee,..that bridge our great Oba cross to palace, the street is called iseekere street close to Oba market
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by ochubaebube(m): 8:00am On Oct 21, 2016
admax:
Recession don't affect traditional ceremony like this, lovely minus those herbalistic things.

those herbalistic things are the things that make the ceremony significant. stop being too western. this is ur origin!!!!!
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by DEIFIED(m): 8:01am On Oct 21, 2016
[quote author=legacyint post=50381406][/quote] Uruesė otėnmwen.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Opharhe: 8:08am On Oct 21, 2016
slimfresh:
Am I the only one seeing the Bollywood actress MONALISA CHINDA in this picture?.....the first lady from the left.
This picture isn't from Benin. These are Owo(Yoruba) women dancing.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Opharhe: 8:10am On Oct 21, 2016
OoniOfIfe:
more
These people are Obatala initiates na.... Not Benin abeg.
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Godsate: 8:20am On Oct 21, 2016
slimfresh:
Am I the only one seeing the Bollywood actress MONALISA CHINDA in this picture?.....the first lady from the left.

Aboki weed in action
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 21, 2016
adeyinkasegun:
. Hmmmmm! U ar ryt! U ar rily Son of d source & soil! Am proud of my Heritage! Ile-Ife.................

You're from Ife?
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by BALLOSKI: 7:12pm On Oct 21, 2016
AreaFada2:

Funny guy. You too fear. grin cheesy

What you may not know is that, Etsako, Yoruba, Igbo, Urhobo, Izon and others have held & hold important positions in Benin.
Including two Ado-Akure & one prince of Brass as Chief Iyase (non-hereditary traditional prime minister & second in command to Oba) in the last 300 years.
The current Iyase of Benin is of Urhobo heritage. Benin Kingdom as a former empire is not actually a tribal thing. It is more of shared culture, headed by the Oba. Many non-Benin people erroneously see themselves as strangers whereas historically, they cannot be considered strangers.

It would be very funny for an Etsako person to call himself a stranger in Benin. Because Oba Ozolua, in appreciation of Etsako people's immense contribution to defend the empire again Idah people, he prolaimed every freeborn Etsako person as a prince & princess of the empire. That proclamation was never repealed. In theory, there's hardly any position in military command or any vacant non-hereditary chieftaincy to which the Oba could not appoint them. He could even specially create new ones for them. They became the Royal Guild of Dental Surgeons (or Osakon) from which Etsako name came. Urhobo/Isoko have a special place too. Ignorance of history is our major problem.

Myths needs to be busted especially in the 21st century that logic prevails.

The holding of hands is an ancient demonstration of support.
Basically saying, the work of obaship is not something to be left to the oba alone. The people are with him.

An ancient Oba once invited all Benin people to symbolically share his obaship.

The Benin morning greeting "Obowie, Obavan, Obota" for good morning/afternoon/evening" came from there. To remind all citizens at any time of the day that they have a stake in his throne.

People often wonder why Benin people have such fierce loyalty towards the King. But it is actually easy to see why. Very many people emigrated from Benin to escape taxes, harsh rules imposed, war conscription, crisis, building an empire, defending it/winning & dying in wars & losing the empire in 1897. Those Benin people that did not emigrate were made of sterner stuff with much loyalty against all odds. They passed that loyalty to their descendants. And many Obas have symbolically shown appreciation to the people for it.

Take for example: the name Edo came from the name of a loyal servant. The servant notified Prince Ogun (later became Ewuare I The Great) of a betrayal that was almost certain to end his life. The servant was killed by Prince Ogun's enemies for doing so. As King, Ewuare Changed name of Benin to Edo to honour the servant.
spot-on!

A very educative post!
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by slimfresh(m): 7:56pm On Oct 21, 2016
fireforfire:

Wetin u drink? Abeg go wash ur face make u see clearly.
.......auto correct ish *NOLLYWOOD*
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by slimfresh(m): 7:57pm On Oct 21, 2016
reeblaze:

Guy.....i didn't know that monalisa chinda is in bollywood......
.....auto correct ish *NOLLYWOOD*
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by slimfresh(m): 7:58pm On Oct 21, 2016
Godsate:

Aboki weed in action
.....auto correct ish *NOLLYWOOD*
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by reeblaze(m): 7:50pm On Nov 01, 2016
Eddy2cute:
Benin culture can't be a bit too traditional, it is completely and entirely traditional.
I'm from Benin, Edo State buh all dose herbalistic stuff freaks me out
Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by oruma19: 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
AreaFada2:

Nope.

That is a later version. I guess many more versions yet will surface depending on the political desire of people.

He was Prince Iginuwa, son of Oba Olua (ruled 1473-1480 AD) and grandson of Oba Ewuare I The Great. He was not popular with Benin chiefs. Considered rather discourteous/rude. Knowing he would never be allowed to be King, Oba Olua decided to create a place/position for him, far away from the chiefs who disliked him. He was sent to be Ogiame (Lord of the Seas) with full royal courtiers as a prince of blood. It still happens today, junior sons or brothers of the Oba are made dukes of towns outside Benin. We do not have him as committing such heinous sacrilege & running away. We should know in Benin.

That he met Aboriginal people there is possible of course. But remember that most Urhobo people had just emigrated around 100 years or less earlier from Benin area then. Helping a prince from their place of origin would not be implausible.
Itsekiri are largely a mix of Ijebu, Eastern Yoruba people & mostly Benin Royalty/aristocracy.
u tried with ur analysis, but sorry to say that u can't be more accurate than the itshekiri historians themselves who wrote this story in a book titled "who owns warri". Google and read that book. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" by AreaFada2: 2:50am On Jan 12, 2017
oruma19:
u tried with ur analysis, but sorry to say that u can't be more accurate than the itshekiri historians themselves who wrote this story in a book titled "who owns warri". Google and read that book. Thanks
Well, maybe.

But the title of the book alone shows that it is clearly a political book.

We all know the ownership politics concerning Itsekhiri, Urhobo & Izon.

However, what I wrote is the oldest version of things coming from Prince Iginuwa's place of origin.

None of us was there when it happened.

Anyway any tribe can write their history as they like.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife, Ogundamisi, Participating In The Oshoosi Festival (photos) / Beautiful Efik Brides In Their Costume / Ijebuland's Ojude Oba Festival 2015 (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.