Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph (384 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Best In Nigeria - THE's University Rankings 2019 / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU / Teacher Assaults SS2 Student In Imo After Pestering Her For Sex (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph by onapajo: 7:45am On Oct 21, 2016
Philip Alabi, a graduate student at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, poses with a collection of donated textbooks. He plans to donate the textbooks to a university in his home country of Nigeria. He is seeking donations to fund the shipment.

EDWARDSVILLE — When Philip Alabi saw his chemistry professors giving away nearly new textbooks at the end of the spring semester, he could hardly believe his eyes.

“I kept passing by and saw they were just giving away these books,” said Alabi, a 30-year-old chemistry student pursuing his master’s degree at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. “I looked at the books and I saw they were still relevant. I was like, ‘Really?’”

Alabi began his studies at Tai Solarin University of Education in Ijebu-Ode, a city in southwest Nigeria. He said books like the ones the SIUE professors were giving away are a rarity at the Nigerian university, where he finished his bachelor’s degree in chemistry. Textbooks at SIUE, Alabi said, are more varied and in-depth in subject, and are also more current.

“I started thinking I should do my best to get them together and begin to ship them (to Nigeria), seeing as they’re giving the books away anyway,” Alabi said.

He started off by collecting about 50 books in June. Five months later, Alabi has collected more than 900 college text books on topics from chemistry to psychology. On his fundraiser website, Alabi says the books will be used to provide “access to relevant information and textbooks that are needed for advancing [Nigerians’] careers, education, and lives.” His challenge now is to ship the books, weighing thousands of pounds, more than 6,000 miles to Nigeria.

Alabi says he has managed to secure space in part of a shipping container going to Ghana. Now, he’s arranging transport for the final leg of the journey to Nigeria. He says he hopes to raise enough money to send them out by the end of the month. From the time the books leave Edwardsville, it will take five weeks to get to Ghana. They could reach Nigeria by the end of the year.

Read more: http://www.thenigerianacademia.com/2016/10/19/student-in-us-scavenges-for-books-to-donate-in-nigeria-the-telegraph/

1 Like

Re: Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph by Mujaheeeden: 7:54am On Oct 21, 2016
He should also scavenge for comics and cartoons for our amiable President

1 Like

Re: Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph by Young03(m): 8:07am On Oct 21, 2016
ok
Re: Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph by AnodaIT(m): 8:22am On Oct 21, 2016
How about those explosive Samsung Galaxy phones that were recalled , any way to send them along?
Re: Student In US Scavenges For Books To Donate In Nigeria – The Telegraph by chizzy8: 4:00pm On Oct 21, 2016
......Now, he’s arranging transport for the final leg of the journey to Nigeria. He says he hopes to raise enough money to send them out by the end of the month ..........

...hahahaaha
Naija !!!!

let him call the school, tell them abt the books and allow them make plans( logistics) to pick it up
leave all this looking for money to send books sorry !!!
na today !!!

(1) (Reply)

Senate Suspends Amendment Of JAMB Establishment Act / University College London Research Study / Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (study In Netherland)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.