Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,336 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

AAU University Students Stage Demostration Over School Fees Hike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / AAU University Students Stage Demostration Over School Fees Hike (370 Views)

Video Of Success, The Warri Schoolgirl Sent Away From School Over School Fees / Charles Okpaleke To Sponsor Warri Girl Chased From School Over School Fees / Students Stage #EndAsuuStrike #BlackFridayWalk Today In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

AAU University Students Stage Demostration Over School Fees Hike by Bensmart04(m): 11:29am On Oct 29, 2016
Source: http://www.studentsng.org/2016/10/aau-university-students-stage.html

Students of AAU stage protest over alleged 400% hike in school fees on Friday, October 28.
The students of the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State, have protested the alleged hike in school fees by the varsity's management in a demonstration staged on Friday, October 28.

Punch reports that the protesters carried placards with inscriptions accusing the authorities of the institution of increasing the school fees by 400%.
They alleged that the fees were increased from the initial N47,000 to N160,000 for some faculties and N200,000 and more for others.

The students lamented that the current situation of things in the country would not allow for the payment of the stated amount.
They urged the state government and the school's management to revert to the old fees, emphasising that it would keep the students from turning to crime or prostitution in a bid to meet up with the payments as their parents would be unable to.

Speaking with Punch, one of the students, Ehanire Aisosa, lamented the increment, noting that it was in contradiction with the ideals of the founding fathers of the institution, which was ‘Education for all’.
“Before the current administration, the fee was N47,000. But the fee has been increased by 400 percent; we are now paying N160,000 for the Faculty of Social Science, Management N200,000 and above N200,000 for the College of Medicine.
“We do not want this increase. Education is for everybody and not only the rich. They are trying to deprive the poor of education,” he said.

Another student identified as Eghosa said, “I told my mother about the situation yesterday (Thursday) and she advised me to withdraw and apply for admission to a different university.
“I am tired of the situation and my parents are not financially buoyant. Where do they expect us to see the money? So, they have to reduce it.”

However, the Public Relations Officer of the university, Edward Aihevba, dismissed the claims, saying that they were false.
He said that although the increase was initiated for freshers by the old administration, it did not affect students on other levels, Punch reports.

Speaking with Southern City News in a telephone chat, he said:
“What they are saying is completely untrue. There has been no increase in school fees. Even the VC, during the inaugural lecture yesterday (Thursday), made a categorical statement that there was no increase in fees."

He added, “Last year when the management of the former Vice-Chancellor was on, 100 Level students were told that the fees had been increased.
“All students that were in session were to continue to pay the old fees. But those who were coming in had the chance to either accept or reject.”
The students are yet to refute Aihevba's claims on the situation of fees in the institution.

Source: http://www.studentsng.org/2016/10/aau-university-students-stage.html

(1) (Reply)

My Blood Www.gingsart..com / UNN JUPEB Supplementary Admission 2016/2017 Announced / ASUU Declares One Week Warning Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.