Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,914 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? (608 Views)

Arrested Boko Haram Suspect Is Brother Of A Presidential Body Guard - ThisDay / Buhari Hosts Lawmakers To A Presidential Dinner / VP Osinbajo Relaxed In A Presidential Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by kennynelcon(m): 10:15am On Oct 22, 2016
I enjoy the USA Presidential and Vice presidential debates, and I make sure I listen to each of them without bias or been sentimental.
The presidential debate exposes, and helps voters know which candidate has the right acumen to rule, more knowledge of the government policies&histories and not just making empty boasts and promises. Also the debates are recorded. When a candidate wins and starts ruling, the senate will have a vote of confidence, here they tabulate all the winner said during the debate and use it to either pass a vote of confidence or move for impeachment(If he is not living up to expectations).
I believe if we put up this kind of system in place, it will help us know empty candidates and the right candidate.
We must also take away all forms of bigotry for this to work out.

What do You think.
LalasticLala, Mynd44 what's Your opinion
Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by gidgiddy: 10:21am On Oct 22, 2016
kennynelcon:
I enjoy the USA Presidential and Vice presidential debates, and I make sure I listen to each of them without bias or been sentimental.
The presidential debate exposes, and helps voters know which candidate has the right acumen to rule, more knowledge of the government policies&histories and not just making empty boasts and promises. Also the debates are recorded. When a candidate wins and starts ruling, the senate will have a vote of confidence, here they tabulate all the winner said during the debate and use it to either pass a vote of confidence or move for impeachment(If he is not living up to expectations).
I believe if we put up this kind of system in place, it will help us know empty candidates and the right candidate.

What do You think.

The president of Nigeria is not usually elected based on capacity or vision. Nigerians vote for presidents based purely on his ethnic group

1 Like

Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by eyeview: 10:22am On Oct 22, 2016
I was shouting it then: 'never vote a man who will stand on podiums before hired crowds and promise the impossibles like making the dollar equal to the naira,stabilizing the price of crude in the international market,feed all school children across the nation daily,pay N5k monthly to all unemployed youths etc but avoided every debate where he will be made to explain how he intends to achieve such bogus claims.

Nigerians had to learn it the hard way

2 Likes

Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by talktonase(m): 10:23am On Oct 22, 2016
The politics here is so crude that it is not by debate my brother...We will continue to have clueless rulers because how they get their is not by their intellectual capacity,merit is never an issue but bunch of opportunist ruling us since the civil war...

1 Like

Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by kingsman66(m): 10:29am On Oct 22, 2016
hahhhaahha bubu for debate make I hear.
Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by fitzmayowa: 12:24pm On Oct 22, 2016
Our politicians here are entirely different, as no amount of debate will work any magic on them, even if they skipped debates atleast in the process of campaigning they should be able to give nigerians a road map of how they intend to solve problems...

We see our politicians campaigning with things like stomach infrastructure, giving unemployed youth 5k monthly, equating the naira to dollar, stabilizing oil price and all sort of ridiculous campaign promises...

To cap it all our youth rather than question this kind of campaign promises, would stand under the sun and be hailing them with phrases like " Sai Baba", "Fayose my hero" and all other ridiculous catch phrases while they continue to suffer the effect of all the vague promises...SMH
Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by naijaking1: 12:44pm On Oct 22, 2016
I remember it was Buhari's American handlers who refused him to debate, knowing fully well, perhaps more than we did at that time that the guy was no good, incapable, and corrupt in his thinking. They effectively shielded him from Nigerians, instead they took him around, dressed him up in modern attires, and gave him prepared speeches, even he did not believe in. Another 'big thanks' to Obama!
Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by Franzz: 12:56pm On Oct 22, 2016
kennynelcon:

What do You think.
LalasticLala, Mynd44 what's Your opinion

In which USA is the president impeached for not meeting debate performance? And which stupid vote of confidence is the senate expected to do on a sitting United States president? Certainly not in The USA I live. Debate is good for Nigeria OK. The other thing you added are just untrue.
Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by vedaxcool(m): 1:09pm On Oct 22, 2016
Jonathan dodged the 2011 debate PMB repaid the favor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will The Current Government Be In Power If We Had A Presidential Debate? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 22, 2016
Election debates do not influence Nigerian voters. Can you name any politician that was elected based on his performance in an election debate? None, my brother. Isn't that why our politicians scarcely master the art of public speaking nor work on their English?

Our democracy is still quite inchoate. Maybe when we have more informed electorate, election debates may become one of the factors that influence a voter's choice.

(1) (Reply)

Senate Finally Amends Code Of Conduct Bill / Photos : Airforce Chief Meets With Sultan Of Sokoto,deploys More Platforms To NW / Fidel Castro From Taraba State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.