Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,808 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

Public Discourse: Can Nigeria Survive Without The Senate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Public Discourse: Can Nigeria Survive Without The Senate? (406 Views)

Can Nigeria Survive Without The Yoruba's?? / For How Long Can Nigeria Wait For A President Who Is Incapacitated?- Ayo Fayose / Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Public Discourse: Can Nigeria Survive Without The Senate? by olapluto(m): 9:41am On Oct 26, 2016
Minimum 1 billion USD yearly allocation. Monthly take home pay of each senator is not less than 30 million naira. They take money for illegal constituency budgets but never execute it.
In my opinion, If we must keep the senate, then we must scrap the house of rep. It makes absolutely no sense to me why we pay so much to just 470 men. Out of 170 million, 470 men are always taking 25% of our yearly budget, and we expect to move forward?
I think the House of Rep is more representative of the people. The senate is just a dumping ground for ex governors who are so lazy and need a constant source of public money.
Since 1999, I cannot pinpoint 10 laws passed by the senate. That is 17 wasteful years!

I hope this discourse will be apolitical because this problem cuts deep into the flesh of every Nigerian. Imagine if you're to choose between free health and paying a senator. The choice is simple.

Discuss...
Re: Public Discourse: Can Nigeria Survive Without The Senate? by fitzmayowa: 9:46am On Oct 26, 2016
Nigeria can survive without the legislative arm as we've survived before democracy returned in 1999, in other words that will involve the military handling the affairs of the country...

Having said that democracy can't survive without the legislative arm, apart from representing the people and making laws for the betterment of the people they are also charged with the responsibility of putting the executive in check, so we don't end up having dictatorship...

However the major issue here is how we can cut down the cost of governance by making service to the people less attractive in terms of financial gains...

This all boils down to the review of the nigerian constitution, because most of the huge amount budgeted to fund the lavish lifestyle of legislatures is backed by the constitution...

(1) (Reply)

4 Prominent Nigerians Currently In EFCC Net And Their Offences- NEWSHELM.COM / How Top Ranking Military Officers Leaked Information To Boko Haram / Who Will Benefit From Buhari And Niger Delta Leaders Negociation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.