Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn (1808 Views)

Fayose On Splash FM Ibadan: "Buhari Wants To Give Tinubu Awolowo Treatment" / Presidency Reacts To Senate’s Rejection Of Buhari’s Plan To Borrow $30bn / Senate Rejects Buhari’s Request To Borrow $30bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by sorepco(m): 10:22pm On Oct 26, 2016
My only fear is that i dont want us to go back into debt traps of the 1980s-1990s...where about 30 to 40% of our budget was for debt serving!!!

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has requested lawmakers to approve a plan to obtain $30bn (£24bn) in foreign loans. 

If you can't get your head round $30bn, the BBC's Naziru Mikailu in Abuja gives it a little perspective: It is more than the federal government's entire budget from 2016.

That budget was seven trillion naira, which in December equated to $30bn. 

But as the currency has fallen sharply, $30bn is now worth nine trillion naira. 

The president said the money would be spent across all sectors with a special emphasis on infrastructure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-37390915
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by BaroonM(m): 10:51pm On Oct 26, 2016
God have mercy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 26, 2016
As long as you don't waste it.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 26, 2016
PUSH1:
As long as you don't waste it.

Useless afonja bowing to his Hausa-Fulani master. Had this been GEJ proposing this, you will see them raining insults yet they are comfortable with Buhari doing this with despite how he has destroyed our economy. I keep telling people,if God decides to visit this earth again out of anger, he will start with afonjas...these people are purely evil, heartless and wicked!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 12:15am On Oct 27, 2016
Nigeria cannot recover from the clueless of Buhari in the next 10years. Any new government coming in will have genuine reasons to complain and whine.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by eejo(m): 12:24am On Oct 27, 2016
PDP lawmakers stop that borrowing if you need Nigerians votes in 2019.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by oduastates: 12:28am On Oct 27, 2016
As long as the money is thrown at infrastructure. Most especially power. to have allowed the power situation to persist means that Nigeria is losing out on at least half of our Gdp. The damn country should one of the factory of the world like China. Instead, She is chronic basket case.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 3:33am On Oct 27, 2016
Clinton9000:

Useless afonja bowing to his Hausa-Fulani master. Had this been GEJ proposing this, you will see them raining insults yet they are comfortable with Buhari doing with despite destroying our economy. I keep telling people,if God decides to visit this earth again out of anger, he will start with afonjas...these people are purely evil, heartless and wicked!
Why won't they rain insult when oil is selling for $100pb+? When you subtract the $29pb it cost to produce a barrel of oil on the avarage that leaves us with $71pb+ in GEJ era as against $20pb in Buhari's time so far. I wonder what these vile wailers want from Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by mensdept: 5:20am On Oct 27, 2016
Why are you guys vexing? All the paparazzi in 2015 for Sai Baba and many of you all supported. This is what happens when you bring old coupist to lead you in a democracy, especially those that took over from a democracy in their evil youth.

Now you see why the frequent trips to the Western world and the wide acceptance for Buhari there because the game plan was to impoverish African children the more, while a few Alhaji's steal/allocate billions for their selves and families, which they would in turn give back to the West via medical tourism, vacations, cars, properties in London, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 6:55am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
Why won't they rain insult when oil is selling for $100pb+? When you subtract the $29pb it cost to produce a litre of oil on the avarage that leaves us with $71pb+ in GEJ era as against $20pb in Buhari's time so far. I wonder what these vile wailers want from Buhari.

You know, when you intelligent people always come up with this issue of crude was selling at $100 per barrel during GEJ and $30 now, I tend to wonder why your intelligent minds do not put into consideration the exchange rate of then and now too...

Please, intelligent man, can you reconcile the exchange rate of then and now, given the prices of crude, and come up with the difference?

Because as silly as I am, I know that $100 as at when Naira was between 180-250 to a dollar, and $30 as at now, when the Naira to a dollar is between 350-450, doesn't tend to show too much difference...and if we want to do the maths based on exchange rates of then and now, we will discover that the difference in selling crude oil at $100 then and now that it goes for $30 isn't more than $20, except of course, someone wants to make me believe that the present government is still selling crude oil at $30 per barrel based on 180-250 naira exchange rate to the dollar.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
[s]Why won't they rain insult when oil is selling for $100pb+? When you subtract the $29pb it cost to produce a litre of oil on the avarage that leaves us with $71pb+ in GEJ era as against $20pb in Buhari's time so far. I wonder what these vile wailers want from Buhari[/s].

Useless things. Oil has been above $50 for about a yr now and Even Buhari government has made it clear that oil price was not the cause of the bad economy since it has stabilized about almost a yr ago. Before oil they blamed dollar, now they are blaming oil price again. SMH
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by SillyMods: 7:13am On Oct 27, 2016
As long as the money is used judiciously to provide infrastructure.

GEJ wasted our golden years. cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 8:15am On Oct 27, 2016
Clinton9000:

Useless things. Oil has been above $50 for about a yr now and Even Buhari government has made it clear that oil price was not the cause of the bad economy since it has stabilized about almost a yr ago. Before oil they blamed dollar, now they are blaming oil price again. SMH
subtract cost of production mr man.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 8:16am On Oct 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

You know, when you intelligent people always come up with this issue of crude was selling at $100 per barrel during GEJ and $30 now, I tend to wonder why your intelligent minds do not put into consideration the exchange rate of then and now too...

Please, intelligent man, can you reconcile the exchange rate of then and now, given the prices of crude, and come up with the difference?

Because as silly as I am, I know that $100 as at when Naira was between 180-250 to a dollar, and $30 as at now, when the Naira to a dollar is between 350-450, doesn't tend to show too much difference...and if we want to do the maths based on exchange rates of then and now, we will discover that the difference in selling crude oil at $100 then and now that it goes for $30 isn't more than $20, except of course, someone wants to make me believe that the present government is still selling crude oil at $30 per barrel based on 180-250 naira exchange rate to the dollar.
do the maths now . . . Are you threatening me to do a maths of that? You talk as if all the obligation govt meets is in Naira forgetting to factor in the huge repayment of what's mainly Jonathan debt that's in dollars.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by mrvitalis(m): 8:19am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
subtract cost of production mr man.
And multiple by 0.55 cos we only get 55% pf the profit
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 8:26am On Oct 27, 2016
mrvitalis:

And multiple by 0.55 cos we only get 55% pf the profit
multiplying by 0.55 will still leave us with results that's in favour of GEJ era cos we are multiply both figures..
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by mrvitalis(m): 8:31am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
multiplying by 0.55 will still leave us with results that's in favour of GEJ era cos we are multiply both figures..
I know thats just so that tge fools understand
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 8:55am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
do the maths now . . . Are you threatening me to do a maths of that? You talk as if all the obligation govt meets is in Naira forgetting to factor in the huge repayment of what's mainly Jonathan debt that's in dollars.

That's the problem with intelligent people like you; you have always emphasized crude price, forgetting exchange rate, now I have reminded you of exchange rate and instead of reconciling that, you've jumped to Jonathan's debt. Wow! So, all the obligations the government of GEJ had to meet was in naira?

OK, let me do a simple maths for you, I'm going to do it in a way that silly and unintelligent people like myself can understand; now, if last year I was being paid $100 as salary, at an exchange rate of 180 naira to $1, which amounts to 18,000 Naira. This year you're employed in the same company and being paid $50 at an exchange rate of 350 Naira to $1, which makes your salary 17,500 Naira, (35000 divided by 2), now would you really complain that I was earning more than you, even though my salary was $100 and yours $50?
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 9:16am On Oct 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

That's the problem with intelligent people like you; you have always emphasized crude price, forgetting exchange rate, now I have reminded you of exchange rate and instead of reconciling that, you've jumped to Jonathan's debt. Wow! So, all the obligations the government of GEJ had to meet was in naira?

OK, let me do a simple maths for you, I'm going to do it in a way that silly and unintelligent people like myself can understand; now, if last year I was being paid $100 as salary, at an exchange rate of 180 naira to $1, which amounts to 18,000 Naira. This year you're employed in the same company and being paid $50 at an exchange rate of 350 Naira to $1, which makes your salary 17,500 Naira, (35000 divided by 2), now would you really complain that I was earning more than you, even though my salary was $100 and yours $50?
You are obssessed with polishing your reputation by dangling irrelevant facts.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 9:30am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:

Lol.. reputation? Brother, I do not have a reputation, talk less of polishing it; I just try as much as I can to think outside the box and see things the way they are and not the way they're presented to us.

No one knows me on nairaland, so, where's the reputation?
Sorry, if I got your nerves bro, I just wanted you to see the issue from my own perspective, having seen yours.

Have a nice day.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 9:41am On Oct 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Lol.. reputation? Brother, I do not have a reputation, talk less of polishing it; I just try as much as I can to think outside the box and see things the way they are and not the way they're presented to us.

No one knows me on nairaland, so, where's the reputation?
Sorry, if I got your nerves bro, I just wanted you to see the issue from my own perspective, having seen yours.

Have a nice day.
Your thinking is well below average so stop that thinking outside the box claim. Most of our obligation as a country is largely tied to dollar. We pay debt in dollar, buy materials, machinery, and raw material for 'industries' in dollar. The main thing we do in Naira is paying of Salaries.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 9:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
Your thinking is well below average so stop that thinking outside the box claim. Most of our obligation as a country is largely tied to dollar. We pay debt in dollar, buy materials, machinery, and raw material for 'industries' in dollar. The main thing we do in Naira is paying of Salaries.

Well, thanks for the compliment. I'd rather not argue with you; you're just too 'intelligent'.

But unfortunately, you haven't been able to answer a very basic question I asked, and you have kept beating about the bush...Oh I guess you have accepted that given the current exchange rate, the difference in earning through crude (price per barrel) when GEJ was in government and now isn't really that much, right? That reminds me, that's even all what this argument is about and as intelligent as you are, you haven't managed to prove me wrong, I mean counter my view with facts and figures without digressing and attacking my below average thinking.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Built2last: 9:52am On Oct 27, 2016
interesting times ahead
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 10:59am On Oct 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Well, thanks for the compliment. I'd rather not argue with you; you're just too 'intelligent'.

But unfortunately, you haven't been able to answer a very basic question I asked, and you have kept beating about the bush...Oh I guess you have accepted that given the current exchange rate, the difference in earning through crude (price per barrel) when GEJ was in government and now isn't really that much, right? That reminds me, that's even all what this argument is about and as intelligent as you are, you haven't managed to prove me wrong, I mean counter my view with facts and figures without digressing and attacking my below average thinking.

State you question here . . .
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 11:07am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
State you question here . . .

Lol scroll up....
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 11:20am On Oct 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Lol scroll up....
I an not scrolling up to scan your epistles. You paste your questions here.
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 11:26am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
I an not scrolling up to scan your epistles. You paste your questions here.

And I'm not obligated to paste it here... cool
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LordAdam: 11:37am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:

You said oil is trading at $20 pb and you're saying someone else's facts is irrelevant.

Yours is so untrue, it is so unbelievable. Oil has never sold for $20 pb since Buhari became President.

Current oil price is around the $50 pb price.

In fact, the current price is higher than the benchmark of the 2016 budget.

I have more hate for Buharists than the man himself.

Please tell us what Buhari has used the 11.3T naira he has already received since May 2015 for, then we can start discussing on how he intends to use the additional $30bn loan (minus the $45b earnings we'll make in the next two years).

You can't keep throwing money at a cash cow hoping for a turn around. We did the same for Nigeria Airways, Delta Steel, the Refineries, PHCN, what did we get out of it. The APC-led government is like every of those failed establishments. Nothing to show for the mammoth amount of money invested, but the idi.ots in charge are asking for more. Each time promising that the new minted cash would be better used than the previous, while showing zero signs that it would in fact be the case.

The best time to be a corrupt politician is now. The competition is lowest ever and the largesse is the highest ever. Yummy!

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 11:45am On Oct 27, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

And I'm not obligated to paste it here... cool
Fear!
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 11:46am On Oct 27, 2016
LordAdam:

You said oil is trading at $20 pb and you're saying someone else's facts is irrelevant.

Yours is so untrue, it is so unbelievable. Oil has never sold for $20 pb since Buhari became President.

Please tell us what Buhari has used the 11.3T naira he has already received since May 2015 for, then we can start discussing on how he intends to use the additional $30bn loan (minus the $45b earnings we'll make in the next two years).

You can't keep throwing money at a cash cow hoping for a turn around. We did the same for Nigeria Airways, Delta Steel, the Refineries, PHCN, what did we get out of it. The APC-led government is like every of those failed establishments. Nothing to show for the mammoth amount of money invested, but the idi.ots in charge are asking for more. Each time promising that the new minted cash would be better used than the previous, while showing zero signs that it would in fact be the case.

The best time to be a corrupt politician is now. The competition is lowest ever and the largesse is the highest ever. Yummy!

-Lord
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 11:54am On Oct 27, 2016
Sibrah:
Fear!

Bros, you too like trouble...leave me na.. grin.you say you no wan scroll up go read my epistles, I no complain...abi you dey enjoy our conversation grin?
Re: Nigeria's President Buhari Wants To Borrow $30bn by Sibrah: 2:47pm On Oct 27, 2016
LordAdam:

-Lord
please point out the bold.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Britain Demands N7bn Before Ibori's Deportation - Newtelegraphonline / Jonathan Alleged To Have Made $523m In Oil Deal Using Fronts / Melaye Releases To Proof That He Graduated From ABU Zaria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.