Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost (7222 Views)

I Will Never In My Life Buy A Tecno Phone Again / This Is Why I Will Not Use A Tecno Phone Again... / My Nokia 5 Unboxing:Would You Choose A Tecno Or Infinix Device Over This? (text) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 9:09am On Oct 27, 2016
with the release of phantom 6, tecno phone just keep being more and more expensive. well.....

Brand, Class and Reputation is Important
When setting up a company, you are meant to really draw out what your company stands for and what kinds of products you'd like to offer, you cannot build your brand based on one class or level then switch completely, this is because what ever standard you preset yourself is how you'll be continued to be seen as. it's a natural human thing. if you meet someone today who can't speak good english and grew up in the slums, if the same person learns and becomes better tomorrow, you won't still feel that that person is on the same level with you because of his reputation, you would still look at him as that boy that grew up in the slums. this is common with every human. how does this relate with tecno? well, when tecno was starting off, they offered really low end cheap inferior devices, so now they make high end devices, we all still look at tecno as "low end, cheap and inferior"

There is a Difference Between Premium and Expensive and overpriced
The definition of premium is something or someone of greater or superior quality
The definition of expensive is costly or having a very high price
overprice is charge too high a price for.

well the truth is all good phones are expensive this days. but some phones are premium priced while some are overpriced. alot goes into selling a product than what the product can offer itself, lets say its the same reason why you will go to look for a job with your 1st class OND and might lose it to a 2nd class B.sc holder from a school like university of lagos, and this is aside the fact that you may be better. so really so many factor affect how you are seen aside what you can do, same here for these companies. think about reputation(like you were asked if you were a prefect in high school), brand name(like you were asked who your father is), works(like you were asked what are your accomplishments), the you'll realise that based on these stuff mentioned above and many more, companies can never never be equal. some would still be rated higher than others and would earn more customers trust than others. in this case if a company that has my trust offers me a device, for another company to earn my trust, the company should not try to make a better device, instead the company should build a better brand.

Are They Ready To Take On The Game?
Really are they? if you say you're better, you'll have to prove it. back to the boy that grew up in the slums, if you did not see him for many years then you see him in a car wearing suit, it would actually take more than that, some more and more discussions to prove he has really developed. likewise the job seeker, if she comes back with a b.sc, she will have to go trough more interview and traning than the first b.sc holder just to prove seh earns it. and most times this is done by comparing their new standards with formerly set ones by people/companies who had these names and reputation first. and comparing tecno with existing companies, its really hard to say if they pass. because before any company can sell anything at premium price, the product itself has to worth it

How does tecno build better brand and reputation?
one of the best ways by having good names and reputations is by having no bad ones at all, like erasing your past or starting a new life giving yourself a new name, or like the bible would say, be born again. with humans this might be easy but with companies it's not. a few companies has done this, i.e having to start all over again and giving themselves a new name. but what most companies do is have a second life, like giving yourself a twin brother or giving birth, or creating a new career mode in that video game wink. for example, BMW and Rolls Royce, Volkswagen and Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche then OPPO and ONEPLUS, the last which is a phone company. if you notice, the owners are not premium brand per say, but the companies under it are! so even if they are made by the same people, the are sold a premium price under this smaller children companies. THIS IS WHAT I THINK TECNO SHOULD DO assuming their phantom line was an entire new phone brand/product on its own since phantom 5 tho, people would not find it hard buying one. even if they know it's related to tecno.

Then why do humans act in this manner?
i don't know....it is a natural something.... grin grin grin

Written by ME.
thanks.
BLOG COMING SOON! Watch Out angry angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by augster(m): 9:26am On Oct 27, 2016
Nice write-up
Tecno phones are now kinda overpriced IMO and most people can't spend #100K on a Tecno device.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by FellaL: 10:52am On Oct 27, 2016
PhonePlanet,

I almost thought you were stating facts.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by excanny: 11:13am On Oct 27, 2016
Many people who still think of Tecno in the old way are mostly people who have never had the chance to use the newest high end devices from Tecno like phantoms, camons and even the boom series(of which I think the Boom J8 is an incredible smartphone). cool

Things have changed and not the same again. I heard they plan to become a king in African mobiles. They seem to be displacing the likes of Samsung in top sales in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by beejay247: 11:46am On Oct 27, 2016
You are right.. I can't imagine myself using a Tecno phone.. Lol....

When I hear Tecno, I dey always remember those their substandard phones..

I think they should have a sub brand

They are actually improving anyways but I think the Phantom 6 and 6 plus are overpriced compared to others...

1 Like

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2016
excanny:
Many people who still think of Tecno in the old way are mostly people who have never had the chance to use the newest high end devices from Tecno like phantoms, camons and even the boom series(of which I think the Boom J8 is an incredible smartphone). cool

Things have changed and not the same again. I heard they plan to become a king in African mobiles. They seem to be displacing the likes of Samsung in top sales in Africa.

Read my second point again
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by henryobinna(m): 3:49pm On Oct 27, 2016
some are all over the internet asking for tecno to introduce heaven and earth to their phones but don't want to pay the price.

the fact they're a Chinese brand doesn't mean they can't manufacture expensive phones.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by benzics(m): 4:47pm On Oct 27, 2016
augster:
Nice write-up
Tecno phones are now kinda overpriced IMO and most people can't spend #100K on a Tecno device.
Overpriced? Wow!! If you know the cost of production of these devices you will just keep your opinion to your self...
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by benzics(m): 4:51pm On Oct 27, 2016
beejay247:

They are actually improving anyways but I think the Phantom 6 and 6 plus are overpriced compared to others...
Overpriced? Compared to which others please... that device I think should have sold for 120k and 160k respectively.. If you know it's production cost, you won't be saying this.. Imagine the Samsung s7 that has similar specs to the Phantom 6+ being sold for 200k+ and you don't think it's overpriced because it's "SAMSUNG" lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by benzics(m): 4:53pm On Oct 27, 2016
henryobinna:
some are all over the internet asking for tecno to introduce heaven and earth to their phones but don't want to pay the price.

the fact they're a Chinese brand doesn't mean they can't manufacture expensive phones.
Bro don't mind these haters, they want high specs but don't want to pay because it's Tecno... If Samsung were the makers of the Phantom 6+ and had made the price 200k+ these same group of people will be throwing praises

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2016
benzics:

Overpriced? Compared to which others please... that device I think should have sold for 120k and 160k respectively.. If you know it's production cost, you won't be saying this.. Imagine the Samsung s7 that has similar specs to the Phantom 6+ being sold for 200k+ and you don't think it's overpriced because it's "SAMSUNG" lol

We both know s7 has way higher specs than 6+ so please do not compare the two. Yet even if the price of s7 is overpriced(which I don't think it is) the lowest price the phone can every go for would still be at least 50k ahead of 6+ so be careful when you make comparism.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by Abdstrakt(m): 9:02pm On Oct 27, 2016
it should read "why it may be hard for ME to buy a Tecno phone at a high cost"

Value is relative and not absolute.
I know a couple phantom owners who feel they got value for their money.
So yes, it could be hard for you it ain't hard for others.

1 Like

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 27, 2016
All did epistle on top phone matter??
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by excanny: 9:35pm On Oct 27, 2016
PhonePlanet:

We both know s7 has way higher specs than 6+ so please do not compare the two. .

This is completely false.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by shiftback: 10:27pm On Oct 27, 2016
I think the high price isn't intentional.

I guess you don't need to be told that the dollar rate has a huge impact on the price of Tecno phones
Just like ALL commodities that aren't manufactured in Nigeria, they are most likely gonna see a price hike.

1 Like

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 10:34pm On Oct 27, 2016
excanny:

This is completely false.

Prove it!
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 10:36pm On Oct 27, 2016
Abdstrakt:
it should read "why it may be hard for ME to buy a Tecno phone at a high cost"

Value is relative and not absolute.
I know a couple phantom owners who feel they got value for their money.
So yes, it could be hard for you it ain't hard for others.

I never said "everyone" or "anyone". Its purely to those it concerns
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by ritababe(f): 10:51pm On Oct 27, 2016
beejay247:

you can't compare them to others because they are better, if you want to argue more mention a brand name let's compare.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 10:58pm On Oct 27, 2016
ritababe:

you can't compare them to others because they are better, if you want to argue more mention a brand name let's compare.

Apple
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by ritababe(f): 11:01pm On Oct 27, 2016
PhonePlanet:

Apple

and you said tecno are overpriced when apple price is ten times higher, you failed already.

2 Likes

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2016
ritababe:

and you said tecno are overpriced when apple price is ten times higher, you failed already.

I thought I already started the diff btw overpriced and premium priced. Read the article again.

Plus based on pure specs, the phantom6 is no match for the iPhone
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by excanny: 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2016
PhonePlanet:

Prove it!

Tecno Phantom 6 Plus
specs

6-inch FullHD Resolution
Android 6.0
Helio x20, Deca- Core CPU
4GB RAM & 64GB Storage
21MP Back +8MP Front
4050mAh Battery
Fingerprint Sensor & Iris Scanner

Samsung Galaxy S7 specs

5.1-inch 1440 x 2560p Resolution
Android 6.0 Marshmallow Os
Snapdragon 820/Exynos 8890 Chip
4GB RAM & 32/64/128GB Storage
12MP Back & 5MP Front
3000mAh Battery
Fingerprint/IP68

Show one spec where the S7 is more than Phantom 6+.

1 Like

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by ritababe(f): 11:09pm On Oct 27, 2016
PhonePlanet:

I thought I already started the diff btw overpriced and premium priced. Read the article again.

Plus based on pure specs, the phantom6 is no match for the iPhone

who is comparing before? but tecno phones are good and more cheaper than the overpriced and overrated Iphones.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 11:15pm On Oct 27, 2016
excanny:

Tecno Phantom 6 Plus
specs

Samsung Galaxy S7 specs

Show one spec where the S7 is more than Phantom 6+.

Screen resolution and processor not looking similar to me. Plus there is a whole lot of specs that a phone can have that you skipped.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by beejay247: 11:17pm On Oct 27, 2016
benzics:

Are you trying to compare phantom 6+ to Samsung s7? lol

Agreed they all overprice their product, but do you think people buying them are stupid?

I remembered how my faulty Sony Ericsson was replaced with a newer model and also my Sony Xperia, even though few people use their product over here compare to Tecno that Nigeria is one of their main market with that, they have crappy customer service center. All this are what makes and build a brand and make people pay more.

I still receive different update on my older xperia.

My first Chinese and mid range phone was Huawei Gr5 and it didn't disappoint me, I am even thinking of buying their high end phone since I'm still not convince with the new Xperia XZ . I actually bought it to have a taste of other brand pending the availability of Xperia XZ. The Gr5 was on lollipop when I bought it and now it's on marshmallow. They even have a toll free customer care center.These are part of what I'm talking about.

Forget all those gimmicks......Phantom 6 can't even beat the Gr5 sef not to talk of other model within same price range.... lol

Tecno entry strategy was affordability of their phones and nothing more, even when people knew they make substandard phones they still buy it...Right now they want to increase their profit by introducing better devices but at the same time want to maximize their profit...They have to put some things in place before jumping on the bandwagon of those that overprice their devices..
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by beejay247: 11:17pm On Oct 27, 2016
benzics:

Agreed they all overprice their product, but do you think people buying them are stupid?

I remembered how my faulty Sony Ericsson was replaced with a newer model and also my Sony Xperia, even though few people use their product over here compare to Tecno that Nigeria is one of their main market with that, they have crappy customer service center. All this are what makes and build a brand and make people pay more.

My first Chinese and mid range phone was Huawei Gr5 and it didn't disappoint me, I am even thinking of buying their high end phone since I'm still not convince with the new Xperia XZ . I actually bought it to have a taste of other brand pending the availability of Xperia XZ. The Gr5 was on lollipop when I bought it and now it's on marshmallow. They even have a toll free customer care center.These are part of what I'm talking aaout

Forget all those gimmicks......Phantom 6 can't even beat the Gr5 sef not to talk of other model within same price range.... lol

Tecno entry strategy was affordability of their phones and nothing more, even when people knew they make substandard phones they still buy it...Right now they want to increase their profit by introducing better devices but at the same time want to maximize their profit...They have to put some things in place before jumping on the bandwagon of those that overprice their devices..
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by PhonePlanet(m): 11:17pm On Oct 27, 2016
ritababe:

who is comparing before? but tecno phones are good and more cheaper than the overpriced and overrated Iphones.

Hmmmm.

I think what you mean is "tecno phones are good enough for its price to want something more and pay a whole lot extra cash"
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by excanny: 11:19pm On Oct 27, 2016
PhonePlanet:

Screen resolution and processor not looking similar to me. Plus there is a whole lot of specs that a phone can have that you skipped.

What other specs do you look out for in a smartphone? Mention them.
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by augster(m): 11:50pm On Oct 27, 2016
excanny:

What other specs do you look out for in a smartphone? Mention them.
Are you seriously gonna compare Helio X20 to the almighty Snapdragon 820? Samsung S7 has one of the best cameras you'd find in a phone, and you think the one on 6+ would beat it? The 6+ has FHD, S7 is QHD which makes it VR ready. With the S7, I'm covered if unintentionally drop my phone in water. Don't even go there trying to compare both phones together... 6+ is a good phone no doubt, but it's no match for the S7. Yes S7 is expensive but trust me, you get what you pay for.. From value to OTA updates. Oh and by the way, Shame on Tecno for not updating their flagship phones to MM

1 Like

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by benzics(m): 7:22am On Oct 28, 2016
PhonePlanet:

We both know s7 has way higher specs than 6+ so please do not compare the two. Yet even if the price of s7 is overpriced(which I don't think it is) the lowest price the phone can every go for would still be at least 50k ahead of 6+ so be careful when you make comparism.
LOL.. Funny you. . The s7 beats phantom 6+ in just resolution and chipset(and mind you the x20 chipset is in some ways better than the snapdragon 820).. Else.. They've got same gpu.. 6+ got better battery and storage (coz the 32gb s7 is still 200k+) what annoys me most with you guys is that you are not tech conscious.. You've even said it all in your post "you rate a phone by brand".. I need a technocrat to argue with, not a brand ambassador grin

1 Like

Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by benzics(m): 7:27am On Oct 28, 2016
beejay247:

My first Chinese and mid range phone was Huawei Gr5 and it didn't disappoint me, I am even thinking of buying their high end phone since I'm still not convince with the new Xperia XZ . I actually bought it to have a taste of other brand pending the availability of Xperia XZ. The Gr5 was on lollipop when I bought it and now it's on marshmallow. They even have a toll free customer care center.These are part of what I'm talking about.

Funny you.. all I see in your text is just total "ignorance".. How can the Phantom 6 not beat your gr5 when I should be comparing the gr5 with boom j8 not even phantom... If you knew anything about tech, this argument could have been fun.. but you are just one of them ignoramus that thinks the s7 is better because it is Samsung... Phones are rated by specs not brand.. Get that into your head dear wink
Re: Why It Maybe Hard To Buy A Tecno Phone At High Cost by excanny: 8:01am On Oct 28, 2016
augster:
Are you seriously gonna compare Helio X20 to the almighty Snapdragon 820? Samsung S7 has one of the best cameras you'd find in a phone, and you think the one on 6+ would beat it? The 6+ has FHD, S7 is QHD which makes it VR ready. With the S7, I'm covered if unintentionally drop my phone in water. Don't even go there trying to compare both phones together... 6+ is a good phone no doubt, but it's no match for the S7. Yes S7 is expensive but trust me, you get what you pay for.. From value to OTA updates. Oh and by the way, Shame on Tecno for not updating their flagship phones to MM

The snapdragon 820 is not Almighty. In fact, it is known to have serious overheating problem.

The Helio X20 is still on head to head with it.

As we speak, MediaTek has the best chipset in the world Helio X30(tho not on the phantom 6+) which trumps any known Snapdragon 820 in the world. If they can do such wonders on Helio X30, that shows Mediatek knows it's onions and most likely did a good job too on the Helio X20.

You must be joking. How can you compare a 21MP camera on phantom 6+ to a mere 12 MP on s7. Gerratta here dude. grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Airtel 50naira Just For 3gig / Tecno Phantom 9: This Is How the Camera Looks Like / Another Iphone 4s Explodes In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.