Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo (10945 Views)

7 Most Recycled Car Parts / These Amazing Art Pieces Were Created From Salvaged Vintage Car Parts / US Presidential Armored Beasts: Side-by-side Comparison Between The New Vs Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by nanizle(m): 7:39am On Oct 31, 2016
Ideally you should always go for new parts. The problem is that there are a lot of sub-standard "new parts" so people tend to recommend tokunbo/"follow come".

It's best to get a trusted supplier of OEM new parts or you buy directly from trusted sites.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by searchng4love: 7:41am On Oct 31, 2016
you are correkt.... don't explain enuff pitter-patter said already

harffie:
Tokunbo is better than the new.....the new parts are mass production....how should I explain sef...
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by jossytech(m): 7:49am On Oct 31, 2016
@ last poster, @ 480/$ bank charges abi as well as shipping fees with 100$ spending limit a month, go for toks or get china and get urself killed
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by ayoshyne(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2016
I support tokunbo parts. I remember how I change my headlight/brakelight bulb every week cos I was buying the supposed new ones. The moment I changed to tokunbo, the lights still function well and it's been months now.
However, if one could get original parts directly from the manufacturer, that's better cos the supposed new parts gotten from these road side guys could be cloned.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by ilenaira: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2016
@OP, I think the many replies should have answered your question. Ordinarily, new (OEM or reliable equivalent) would be the choice for many but when you have a market dominated by fakes, tokunbo becomes a safer choice.

It's a shame really but thats what we've allowed for ourselves.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by bettercreature(m): 8:10am On Oct 31, 2016
nanizle:
Ideally you should always go for new parts. The problem is that there are a lot of sub-standard "new parts" so people tend to recommend tokunbo/"follow come".

It's best to get a trusted supplier of OEM new parts or you buy directly from trusted sites.
Its very difficult to get original brand new auto parts in Nigeria so it's always the best to go for tokunbo
Back then in 2010 i spent 96.000 naira on brand new lights at the end they turned out to be PLASTIC,they changed colour within 4weeks
My friend also bought PLASTIC in 2015 so i think tokunbo is the best as you are sure of getting ORIGINAL
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Jobabori(m): 8:14am On Oct 31, 2016
erico2k2:

Xtreemly wrong idealogy . Pit your money where your mouth is and toy will get original parts. You can order your parts on Amazon . Or Ebay brand new .
Are you conscious of exchange rate and time factor when you have just a car?
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Originalsly: 8:39am On Oct 31, 2016
If buying aftermarket.... research the brand... that's more important than "follow come grade 1". Too many after market products look like the OEM... would fit... everything match up... but would not last...or worse.... would not work and have mechanics believing there is something else faulty. Some after market brands are much better than the OEM.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by KayodeAjani: 8:51am On Oct 31, 2016
When my Nissan Serena car breaks down and saps as much fuel as full tank between a drive way of 1hour plus.

I knew there is a serious problem i headed straight to my Mechanic when he dictected it was a faulty Airflow meter

Now getting the one that will work for it bcame issue search all the market in Lagos it will not just work

I had almost wanted to pack d car at home and forget about the bus but luckily i got it fixed at Jankara ijaiye market Lagos after lots of trouble shooting The mass Airflow meter we had on ground was over 50 when we started by 12:30 we got the one that eventually worked at 7pm

It was a lesson i can never forget

So my advice when buying a car buy a car that the parts are readily available and cheap.Good luck.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Emassive(m): 9:18am On Oct 31, 2016
This is another reason why China has to be burned down. All new parts are China made due to the cost of production for these manufacturers plus they replicate the product to flood the market after making for the manufacturer thereby creating a lower cost value. Meanwhile, the tokunbo is most time cut off or removed from another Write off Vehicle which is most times costlier than others. Try buying a Brand new Bumper then spray it and see what happens after a few weeks but see how many years it takes for a paint to ware off a tokunbo part.. That's if it does clean off.

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Crixie(m): 9:55am On Oct 31, 2016
People are usually fast to judge new parts and brand it fake or inferior.
In as much as there are wicked auto parts sellers who sell fake parts and call it original,buyers/ consumers share a portion of the blame too.The demand for "cheap" parts in Nigeria is sooo incredible.There are Few stores that sell OEM auto parts here in Nigeria,quality after market parts are also readily available but many people always patronize the sellers of these sub standard.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Crixie(m): 10:06am On Oct 31, 2016
I have written this with many many years of experience, People claim to want original auto parts,yet visit auto parts market with very funny budgets. When I hear people say stuffs like "Bye TOYOTA, the parts are very cheap", I laugh out loud.Original Parts can only be affordable, not cheap by most people's standard.
If your budget for original oil filter is #300-#500,you are part of the problem

1 Like

Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by nanizle(m): 11:00am On Oct 31, 2016
bettercreature:
Its very difficult to get original brand new auto parts in Nigeria so it's always the best to go for tokunbo
Back then in 2010 i spent 96.000 naira on brand new lights at the end they turned out to be PLASTIC,they changed colour within 4weeks
My friend also bought PLASTIC in 2015 so i think tokunbo is the best as you are sure of getting ORIGINAL

I believe the unavailability of original parts here in Nigeria comes down to price. They are not so affordable for many Nigerians so dealers will rather bring in lower quality parts which are cheaper. So yeah... tokunbo appears to be a better option in some cases.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Gsentme(m): 11:07am On Oct 31, 2016
For ur tokunbo parts pls call 07068824977 or 08064223831
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by erico2k2(m): 1:52pm On Oct 31, 2016
Jobabori:

Are you conscious of exchange rate and time factor when you have just a car?
Well yes my friend . Original parts are no cheap only fake parts are .the set of spark plugs for my car cost me £30(16350).that's 6 of them.my rear brake pads cost me £40 (21800)that's just 2 of them.
So as U see compare that to the fake N3500 pads someone attempted to sell to me in PH mind you this pads have been on the jeep 2 years plus now
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by erico2k2(m): 1:54pm On Oct 31, 2016
Crixie:
I have written this with many many years of experience, People claim to want original auto parts,yet visit auto parts market with very funny budgets. When I hear people say stuffs like "Bye TOYOTA, the parts are very cheap", I laugh out loud.Original Parts can only be affordable, not cheap by most people's standard.
If your budget for original oil filter is #300-#500,you are part of the problem
Yep that's true,filters are from £15 up that's like N8k
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by erico2k2(m): 1:57pm On Oct 31, 2016
KayodeAjani:
When my Nissan Serena car breaks down and saps as much fuel as full tank between a drive way of 1hour plus.

I knew there is a serious problem i headed straight to my Mechanic when he dictected it was a faulty Airflow meter

Now getting the one that will work for it bcame issue search all the market in Lagos it will not just work

I had almost wanted to pack d car at home and forget about the bus but luckily i got it fixed at Jankara ijaiye market Lagos after lots of trouble shooting The mass Airflow meter we had on ground was over 50 when we started by 12:30 we got the one that eventually worked at 7pm

It was a lesson i can never forget

So my advice when buying a car buy a car that the parts are readily available and cheap.Good luck.
All parts are available . Your pocket dictates . If you went to Ebay you will find 100 s of what you where looking for.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Crixie(m): 4:14pm On Oct 31, 2016
You can refer to my signature, I have a thread where I will continuously post pictures of OEM and high quality auto parts for some Japanese,American & Korean cars! You can use the pictures there as a guide while buying auto parts to avoid being sold bad and/ or fake parts
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by Nobody: 12:53am On Nov 02, 2016
Beautiful thread. I agree that new parts are better than the tokumbo only if we can source it directly from the manufacturers but in a situation where we can't, it's better we go for 1st grade tokumbo parts. This parts referred to as 1st grade tokumbo are mostly accidented cars that was dismantled and turned into parts. So it's as good as getting it from the manufacturers them selves.

This is why when you find this 1st grade tokumbo parts, they are usually quite expensive.

I came accross this man in ladipo who deal with Honda tokumbo parts, everything i and my colleagues have got from him have just been perfect and when I asked him how he manages to do that here is the response I got

I ensure everything that comes into my shop is 1st grade and nothing less. In this way i certisfy my customers.

His contact just in case u may need his service
08038497636/08056362976
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by nylawal(m): 8:33pm On Mar 07, 2017
I was looking for a place to buy 5w30 lubricants and I stumbled on a thread on nairaland that referred me to autoselect (Google the name). I discovered the sell quality after sales parts from world renowned manufacturers. From them I also got to know some big distributors from whom I get oem parts in Abuja.

As for tokunbo, I know guys in the UK who butcher cars for parts because it can ship 3 to 4 butchered cars in a container rather than 2 whole cars. I think they say the profit is higher. The cars are not always accident ed or worn out, sometimes just got a good bargain or they pay less duties on parts.

I guess for something like car headlight bulbs I will always go for tokunbo. I have used one for almost 2 years now.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by shotuns: 1:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
Check you car manual for the correct description of the parts if you have one, I recently bought 8 spark plugs from Rockauto @ $11.2 ($1.4 dollars each ) also EBAY and AMAZON, you can get some OEM auto part directly from the factory with warranty at cheaper rates too.
Re: Car Parts: Brand New Vs Tokunbo by justi4jesu(f): 6:09pm On Mar 11, 2017
shotuns:
Check you car manual for the correct description of the parts if you have one, I recently bought 8 spark plugs from Rockauto @ $11.2 ($1.4 dollars each ) also EBAY and AMAZON, you can get some OEM auto part directly from the factory with warranty at cheaper rates too.

We also help purchase and ship items from US Stores down to Lagos. You can click on the link on my signature for more info.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Terrible Experience With Luvinhubby / Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines / How Can One Use The Tiptronic Gear Transmission??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.