Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? (734 Views)

Goliath Must Die: Pastor Imoniero Poses With Catapult On Church Banner (Photo) / What Really Happen Between Malachi And Mathew??? / Did This Really Happen?!!!!!!!!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by ItuExchange(m): 12:39am On Oct 28, 2016
Some people wonder if the account about David and Goliath is true history or just myth. Did such a doubt cross your mind as you read the preceding article? If so, please consider the following three questions.

1 | Could a man really be some nine and a half feet (2.9 m) tall?

A scale model of the giant Goliath compared to an average soldier
The Bible says that Goliath’s “height was six cubits and a span.” (1 Samuel 17:4) The cubit in question was 17.5 inches (44.5 cm) long; the span, 8.75 inches (22.2 cm). That adds up to about nine feet six inches (2.9 m). Some insist that Goliath could not have been that tall, but consider: In modern times, the tallest man documented was over 8 feet 11 inches (2.7 m) tall. Is it really impossible that Goliath was six inches (15 cm) or so taller? He was of the tribe of the Rephaim, men who were known for their unusual size. An Egyptian document from the 13th century B.C.E. mentions that some fearsome warriors in the region of Canaan were over eight feet (2.4 m) in height. So Goliath’s height, while unusual, is hardly impossible.

2 | Was David a real person?

There was a time when scholars tried to relegate King David to the realm of myth, but that has become harder to do. Archaeologists have found an ancient inscription that mentions “the house of David.” Furthermore, Jesus Christ spoke of David as a real person. (Matthew 12:3; 22:43-45) Jesus’ identity as the Messiah is supported by two detailed genealogies showing that he descended from King David. (Matthew 1:6-16; Luke 3:23-31) Clearly, David was a real man.

3 | Did the events described in the account unfold in a real place?

The Bible says that the battle occurred in the Valley of Elah. But it gets still more specific, noting that the Philistines camped on a hillside somewhere between two towns, Socoh and Azekah. The Israelites were stationed across the valley on the opposite hillside. Were these real places?

Note what a recent visitor to the area says: “Our guide—who was not a religious man—took us to the Valley of Elah. We ascended a path that took us to the brow of a hill. As we looked over the valley, he had us read 1 Samuel 17:1-3. Then he pointed across the valley, saying: ‘There, to your left, lie the ruins of Socoh.’ Turning, he said, ‘Over there, to your right, are the ruins of Azekah. The Philistines camped between those towns, somewhere on the hillsides facing you. So we may be standing where the Israelites camped.’ I thought of Saul and David standing right where I was. Then we descended, and on the valley floor, we crossed a streambed, mostly dry, that was full of stones. I could not help but picture David stooping here to pick up five smooth stones, one of which killed Goliath.” That visitor, like many others, was deeply impressed with the authentic details in the Bible record.

There is no real basis for doubting the truthfulness of this historical account. It involves real people and real places. More important, it is part of God’s inspired Word, so it comes from the God of truth, the One who “cannot lie.”—Titus 1:2; 2 Timothy 3:16.

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no5-2016-september/david-versus-goliath-real/

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by Dammyomatic(m): 12:47am On Oct 28, 2016
What do you mean did it really happen? Is it not in the Bible? You calling the Bible a liar? Well, the Bible is filled with suprising acts and mind blowing adventures the imaginable happens in the Bible just to show the supremacy and the miracle working Father God which I thank for all his Goodness
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 6:42am On Oct 28, 2016
op...it didnt happen..its just a myth
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 28, 2016
raphieMontella:

were you an eye witness to this "myth"?
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by HouseOfBalloons(f): 7:16am On Oct 28, 2016
This is not proof. I can write a story of a fictional battle that took place in Surulere. Just because I got the geographical details right doesn't mean it actually happened
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 28, 2016
HouseOfBalloons:
This is not proof. I can write a story of a fictional battle that took place in Surulere. Just because I got the geographical details right doesn't mean it actually happened

Abeg write your own story and let it stand the test of time...in fact let it survive 10yrs then come back and talk.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 7:49am On Oct 28, 2016
4everGod:

were you an eye witness to this "myth"?
it was written to elevate king david...
Similar to olumba olumba style...david was a good king of the israel people....
Stories of births and mythical abilities of pharaoh's are also like that sire.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by Deicide: 7:53am On Oct 28, 2016
Dammyomatic:
What do you mean did it really happen? Is it not in the Bible? You calling the Bible a liar? Well, the Bible is filled with suprising acts and mind blowing adventures the imaginable happens in the Bible just to show the supremacy and the miracle working Father God which I thank for all his Goodness
Can u please show me where Sodom is Located right now I'll like to take my family on a Vacation there
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 28, 2016
raphieMontella:
it was written to elevate king david...
Similar to olumba olumba style...david was a good king of the israel people....
Stories of births and mythical abilities of pharaoh's are also like that sire.

Mr itching for a debate....your view would always hold no water with me and you know it.

If that is your assumption same way maybe 3000 yrs from today someone would be assuming same thing you are when told about how volcanic eruptions and tsumanis levelled cities and how the A bomb demolished nagasaki and hiroshima and they would say you were a super genious abi when you were no more than an Internet troll especially since you would not be there to defend yourself so yeah assume away if that helps your ego.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 8:19am On Oct 28, 2016
4everGod:

Mr itching for a debate....your view would always hold no water with me and you know it.
sir...

If that is your assumption same way maybe 3000 yrs from today someone would be assuming same thing you are when told about how volcanic eruptions and tsumanis levelled cities and how the A bomb demolished nagasaki and hiroshima and they would say you were a super genious abi when you were no more than an Internet troll especially since you would not be there to defend yourself so yeah assume away if that helps your ego.

it could have been written with him alive...
his death doesnt need to happen for such a story to be written...
and that something incredible was writtten..doesnt mean it happened...
I gave an explicit parallel...---Egyptian pharaohs.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 28, 2016
raphieMontella:

sir...

it could have been written with him alive...
his death doesnt need to happen for such a story to be written...
I gave an explicit parallel...---Egyptian pharaohs.

Egyptian pharaohs? Here we are talking about a king who was not Egyptian and who served God under a law that forbade sin and here you are making a comparison with a pagan Pharaoh who had no moral guidelines and was free to lie as if his life depended on it.

I hope you can see your intelligence struggling ti wake up this morning.

I h
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 8:32am On Oct 28, 2016
4everGod:

Egyptian pharaohs? Here we are talking about a king who was not Egyptian and who served God under a law that forbade sin and here you are making a comparison with a pagan Pharaoh who had no moral guidelines and was free to lie as if his life depended on it.

I hope you can see your intelligence struggling ti wake up this morning.

I h
the same david who killed a man so that he can harvest and covet a man's wife...
The same david who cut foreskins of philistines so that he can marry a girl..
The same david who took over his masters wife...
The same david who had wives
all these in the presence of the law and in the presence of your god..
The egyptians had their own moral code sire..called the [size=14pt]42 Principles Of Maa't[/size]
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by TomHagen: 8:35am On Oct 28, 2016
raphieMontella:
Every thing na myth to you sha.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 8:39am On Oct 28, 2016
TomHagen:
Every thing na myth to you sha.
i will believe it... When gigantic skeletons are discovered.. Even if its just one!
They were in abundance those days....(biblical narratives)
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by TomHagen: 8:43am On Oct 28, 2016
raphieMontella:

i will believe it...
When gigantic skeletons are discovered..
Even if its just one!

They were in abundance those days....(biblical narratives)
If one is discovered, how would you its Goliath's? It might just be the skeleton of one very tall dude that lived thousands of years ago. Myths do not carry such life.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 8:47am On Oct 28, 2016
TomHagen:
If one is discovered, how would you its Goliath's? It might just be the skeleton of one very tall dude that lived thousands of years ago. Myths do not carry such life.
it need not be goliath's own..
I know king david existed..
So if skeletons of gigantic humans(about ten feet or so) are discovered...then the probability is there for his story to be true..
My perspective.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by BizLifeE: 8:58am On Oct 28, 2016
I think those who react would do well to read what the OP has to say about it - for a good insight. I've read the original article.
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by TomHagen: 9:07am On Oct 28, 2016
raphieMontella:

it need not be goliath's own..
I know king david existed..
So if skeletons of gigantic humans(about ten feet or so) are discovered...then the probability is there for his story to be true..
My perspective.
The tallest man in modern times was 2.72m. How hard can it be to fathom that ancient giants were just 0.18m taller?
Re: David Versus Goliath—did It Really Happen? by raphieMontella: 9:19am On Oct 28, 2016
TomHagen:
The tallest man in modern times was 2.72m. How hard can it be to fathom that ancient giants were just 0.18m taller?
1)the corpses being dug up around there are much more shorter
2)goliath's skull is depicted as enormous or something..

(1) (Reply)

Africans And Miracles / Teleportation: The Key To Immortality. / Apostle Suleman Hails Pastor Adeboye’s Retirement As Redeemed Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.