Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? (4659 Views)

Should women be charged for molesting men? / Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms / Should Gay Marriages Be Allowed In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by deathadder(m): 6:22pm On Jan 02, 2007
Should women be allowed to vote?

I believe they should be but only once they have passed some sort of test to establish they have some intelligence.

They get a little confused with systems, politics etc and certain times of the month they may not be thinking straight.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Coco29(f): 6:25pm On Jan 02, 2007
o for crying out loud, i think i should go off line now angry angry sexes that is what you are angry
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Eurphoria(f): 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2007
@deathadder

lol lmao you are a clown i refuse to believe you are for real grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by iice(f): 5:32am On Jan 03, 2007
LSFH laughin ma friggin butt off grin grin nice one
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by deathadder(m): 11:17am On Jan 03, 2007
Why the hell is it sexest I didnt say they cant vote!!!

Most men follow politics closely and have a keen interest but most women dont! FACT!

For me it makes more sense that the women who would like to vote should show they actually know what policies they are voting for by means of a short test.

At least then we know that the women who have voted may have half a clue what they're actually voting for.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by naijacutee(f): 12:25pm On Jan 03, 2007
Please sir, don't make such a statement in public! On what grounds do you base your "facts" that most men follow politics closely and most women don't? I've seen women who, whilst taking care of 4 kids and a husband, are active political leaders and are doing the job just as good as (or even better than) any odd man. Next, you'll be telling me men are averagely more intelligent than women. If anything, it is at "certain times of the month" that we understand things more as then, we begin to see things we ordinarily wouldn't have seen before!

Besides, what is so difficult to understand about politics? Isn't it a thing of interest? The official voting age in Scotland is 16. And children younger than 16 can vote if they show considerabe interest in politics. I can guarantee you that some of these under 16-year-old females can make more rational decisions than several 50-year-old full fledged men!!!
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Coco29(f): 12:43pm On Jan 03, 2007
deathadder:

Why the hell is it sexest I didnt say they can't vote!!!

Most men follow politics closely and have a keen interest but most women don't! FACT!

For me it makes more sense that the women who would like to vote should show they actually know what policies they are voting for by means of a short test.

At least then we know that the women who have voted may have half a clue what they're actually voting for.

what the hell are you talking about take a good look at some OF the most influential men, who the hell brought them down ~**A WOMAN**~ WE ARE NOT LIKE YOU MEN WHO THINK WITH IGNORANCE. YOU WANT TO TELL ME THAT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL I AM VOTING FOR. TEST MY ASS angry angry angry
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by tenor(m): 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2007
For Gods sake, in this age and time, do people still think like this? Pls state your criteria for ascertaining intelligence. Please lets give up sexist remarks. Thanks. shocked
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by deathadder(m): 5:29pm On Jan 03, 2007
tenor:

For Gods sake, in this age and time, do people still think like this? Please state your criteria for ascertaining intelligence. Please lets give up sexist remarks. Thanks. shocked

you need to know yourself my friend! I would love this country to flourish bur we need to ensure the correct decisions are made! Next you'll be saying its OK for men to clean the house!
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Coco29(f): 7:13pm On Jan 03, 2007
deathadder:

you need to know yourself my friend! I would love this country to flourish bur we need to ensure the correct decisions are made! Next you'll be saying its OK for men to clean the house!

where do you live in the bush. shocked shocked angry
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by tardeh: 8:21pm On Jan 03, 2007
Who is the retarded 'mugu' dat said women shuldn't be allowed to vote?empty vessels make noise d most,u know.i'm sure you are one of those male chauvinist that fink a woman's education shuld end in the kitchen.u need to be more OPEN MINDED
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by naijacutee(f): 8:39pm On Jan 03, 2007
deathadder:

Next you'll be saying its OK for men to clean the house!
Please, tell us you are joking! You are very embarrassing!!! Do you realise that this is a public thread? You think it is not ok for men to clean the house? Sorry may I ask how old you are?
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by deathadder(m): 5:02pm On Jan 04, 2007
When I first married, I was surprised to hear my new bride opine that if she voted, her vote would cancel mine as we had differing ideas (hers a bit ill thought through and emotional), and therefore she shouldn't vote.

At the time, I didn't agree, and urged her to go ahead and vote.

But, does a wife's vote negate that of her husband's?

I wonder?

Also the negative comments from some of the women are proving that you are too controlled by emotions. This thread is to provoke thought and you respond with anger!
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Eurphoria(f): 11:05pm On Jan 04, 2007
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ok after reading that i definitely believe you are a CLOWN, NO OTHER EXPLANATION, advise don't even suggest otherwise plsss wink

PS
i have been entertained   grin
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by naijacutee(f): 3:04pm On Jan 05, 2007
deathadder:

When I first married, I was surprised to hear my new bride opine that if she voted, her vote would cancel mine as we had differing ideas (hers a bit ill thought through and emotional), and therefore she shouldn't vote.

At the time, I didn't agree, and urged her to go ahead and vote.

But, does a wife's vote negate that of her husband's?

I wonder?

Also the negative comments from some of the women are proving that you are too controlled by emotions. This thread is to provoke thought and you respond with anger!
Who is more sentimental? Someone who gives their honest opinion on a topic that interests them, or someone who suggets that the entire genderfolk should be screened before voting just because he thinks his new wife's reasons for voting are flawed?

You judge.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by tenor(m): 7:11pm On Jan 06, 2007
deathadder i can see that u care about this country. 46 yrs of decision making by men. Lets not argue on gender lines but if u asked me who's effort i could easily recognize in Obj's govt, i'll waste no time in pointing out NAFDAC's Dora Akunyili and Okonjo-Iweala. Unfortunately Okonjo Iweala was not allowed to finish her good work by a Govt filled with day dreaming sycophants who unfortunately happened to be "this type of humans who have something long or short dangling btw thier legs". Men, I guess. Deathadder forget it, and get real with urself.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by mamaput(f): 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2007
Most car accidents are made by men.
Men Drink and drive.
I think that a man must go for a test once a year to check his Alcohol and agression level.
I think men should only be allowed to drive as from the age of 30.
And till they are 40 only cars with low Horsepower
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Eurphoria(f): 1:27pm On Jan 07, 2007
omg i can't believe this -----so it has come to men versus women over a stupid thread----why bother? this is one of those threads that are so stupid/funny and there is no angle you look at it or decide to argue( for or against it), you yourself end up looking preetty silly------mud on your face spings to mind
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by omogenaija(f): 2:33am On Nov 05, 2007
@ topic
people like u make the human race look bad , where have u been sleeping ? women r allowed to vote in almost everywhere , and where r u located bTw ? maybe thats y ur yarning dust .

anyways wateva rules apply to men should apply to women and vice versa , thats only fair
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Nobody: 2:45am On Nov 05, 2007
deathadder:

Why the hell is it sexest I didnt say they can't vote!!!
Most men follow politics closely and have a keen interest but most women don't! FACT!

You're the sort that fears strong, independent women!  shocked How did you collate your stats for your sexist opinion? Don't women have brains too? Next, you'll be telling me Condoleezza Rice is an idiot!  angry

deathadder:

I clean my house, and why not? If my lady's not home, do you expect me to wait till she gets home before household chores are done?

What would you do? Actually, you don't have to tell me - you'll wait till your wife gets home, and in the meantime, live in a pigsty!  shocked

Shocking.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by britgirlee(f): 4:29am On Nov 05, 2007
begs belief shocked
i think you didnt think before you headed yr topic eithe that or yr living way into the dark ages

i rest my case on my thread are nigerian men intimidated by the stong independent black woman , apart from the selected few, you are a prime example of this and you stand up for nigerian men sit down and look around you, see look learn develop yr mind set

Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by wham(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2007
@Topic

Rest ur case, its not heading anywhere.

"Cut your losses"
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by slimes(m): 3:55pm On Sep 29, 2009
Who made you a judge?. The constitution of Nigeria makes it clear that there is a right for any citizen to vote and be voted for. I think the constitution is greater than any citizen.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Fiddypence: 9:05am On Feb 21, 2010
I think Deathadder is making some perfectly reasonable points, ladys can make crazy decisions when their time of the month comes. And whats wrong with this world today, cant men voice an opinion without being called a ''sexist''? sometimes girls you just have to be a realist without getting all personal, after all its us men that rule the world. Washing, Ironing, Cleaning the house and making dinners are jobs we can only trust Females with, it just seems they are the only jobs they can cope with, just lol.

But i totally agree with what this guy is saying, so my answer is no, women shouldn't be able to vote. Their too crazy and stupid.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Liberty815: 2:54pm On Apr 14, 2010
Deathadder makes a very good point, one that had political and societal acceptance not too long ago. The reasons woman obtained suffrage (if you don't know what suffrage means, you should not be able to vote) have very little to do with what was good for women, and mostly everything to do with pushing progressive ideology. Woman are more likely to vote for free college, healthcare, and the rest of the welfare state. That is because they are compassionate in nature, one of the good qualities of women.

The main reason I believe that women should not be able to vote is because they are emotional creatures. I am not knocking this at all, I just don't think its suitable for voting on political issues. If you've ever argued with a girlfriend, or if you're a woman who has argued with a boyfriend, you know logic is usually absent. It's about what the woman is feeling, and the best way to make her stop feeling like that so that both can be at peace. If danger is on the horizon, the BEST course of action for the male is to tell his female companion that "everything is fine". Otherwise, emotion, rather than reason will enter the situation. Many of the wisest, most selfless people that have guided me growing up have told me that women are more emotional rather than reasonable. This is not because they were trying to bring down women, but rather they were trying to teach me how to get along with them. There was no environment of anti-womanness in these conversations, they were telling me what they truly believed from 40+ years of experience.

Do not get me wrong, there are women who are intelligent enough to understand their emotional nature, and separate them from logical decisions. However, for every one of these women, there are twenty that will vote that way because one candidate is "better looking, younger, or more presentable", because "Lady Gaga" likes that candidates, or because "Kim Kardashian thinks so". The girly girls who are in sororities and were popular in high school do not spend that much time speaking about politics because it is simply not "cool to do so". However, every four years they are able to vote on serious issues. When you have 95% of celebrities walking around with an Obama tee-shirt, you can understand where most of those votes will go.

I also believe that there should be a property requirement to vote, as there used to be. If you are in debt, or own no property, why should you have a vote as someone with a real stake in the interest of this country? People who build lives, homes, businesses, land, etc. should have the right to vote. A woman is part of her househould, she should influence her husbands vote if she wishes, but that is all. If a woman is an only child who inherits property, or a widow for that matter, THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO VOTE. This is because the responsibilities of such a woman force her to become informed, involved, and not to make emotional decisions that could cause her to lose what she has.

I believe my post is worth just as much as the entirety of the posts that said things like "omg, are you still be sexist today" or "laughin ma friggen butt off". Just the use of such language proves that you have been corrupted by the decadence of this society. Rome collapsed because its people became dependent and weak. That is what's happening here, and the woman's vote encourages that. Now they want to send women into combat. Get the hell out of here.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by mythshurt: 2:51pm On Jun 06, 2010
So the point I am responding to is the myth that women are too emotional to think straight and therefore should not vote. Lets examine that.

This world as you say is ruled my men. That's nothing to brag about since about 50% go to bed hungry to some degree and 25% live in a war zone. These wars are almost exclusively started, perpetrated and fought by men. Women have little say in them. Men claim to be providers and protectors yet cannot accomplish the basic need of food for half of us nor safety for many many many, in war, or not. Danger comes from men, not women.

Providers and protectors men are NOT. The dangers women face are from men - not women. How can you protect and be the greatest threat at the same time. Protection by men is a myth you pride yourselves on and hope we will not challenge. Faint hope.

As for being more rational due to being less emotional - lets clarify.

Testosterone drives men's aggression which is EMOTION based action. The predominant emotion spoiling everyone's day is ANGER - the dominion of men.

Men's out of control anger is the reason people don't get to eat or live in safety - you are too busy fighting to solve problems peacefully and constructively and provide and protect out basic needs.

Men have failed to provide basic needs because they are too quick to react with anger, they are too emotional, cannot mature enough to dominate their base emotional nature, their base chemical nature driven by testosterone - which drives ANGER BASED AGGRESSION. If you don't like statistics to prove this point turn on the TV. Count how many stations are showing man behaving aggressively driven by the emotion of anger. Do it and get real.

Seriously, I have run a barnyard. The only way you get peace is to remove the testosterone. The anger\emotion driven turmoil is exactly the same as in the human population.

Women's brains allow them to TRANSLATE emotions into words, not fistfights. They are more able to talk about issues without emotion (anger) driving their actions as is the case with men. Mens brains do not translate emotion into words as effectively which causes them to ACT on EMOTION (anger) because they ACT OUT rather than THINK OUT - hence all the war and hunger in the world. You can't go to war AND plough fields. Men choose war way too often driven by EMOTION.

Women - I am not trying to convince men of this reality. You should know it however and speak up about it. It's a myth that you are too emotional to think just as it was a myth that black people were more immoral and stupid than whites and therefore could not be trusted to vote. Sexism is exactly the same as racism. Examine social myths intended to help you put yourself down. Don't expect men to challenge myths designed by men to put you down. Do it yourself. It's not difficult. It just requires a sense of right and wrong and basic willingness to challenge lies. Since you are raising most of the next generation please accept that responsibility and teach it to your children. Peace.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by mythshurt: 3:12pm On Jun 06, 2010
As for women not understanding politics - the fact is, politics is dominated by overly emotional (angry\aggressive men) who focus on COMPETITION driven by AGGRESSION not COLLABORATION driven by the drive to provide BASIC NEEDS.

The richest countries in the world have disgraceful stats on hunger and homelessness. This is because men cannot solve these basic needs. Women are more attentive to basic needs because they are more concerned with peoples needs than men are. Men's primary drive is to fight for dominance. Women's primary focus is to provide basic needs. This is driven not by compassion but by common sense. A peaceful, well fed population is more PRODUCTIVE and HAPPY. A fighting hungry population is a MISERABLE one.

Which do you want

If you don't believe me just listen to men in the house of commons - pick Canada or the UK. They YELL, throw insults, shout each other down and solve nothing, day in, day out. It's a DISGRACE. Read the papers. Snide, relentless personal attacks while forgetting the debate at hand completely. Pathetic.

If anyone should be banned from voting it is overly aggressive, troublemakers who cannot remain calm and focus on the problem needing a solution. Who is that then Yes, it's men. The evidence is that you are not very good at leading, providing and protecting. While you are off warring, we are at home providing. Tell me than - who has a track record of focusing on what is really important.

People who cannot stay on topic and be respectful of each persons turn to participate in a debate should be removed. That is about half the men in politics - maybe more. On any team, those who are not team players must be replaced for the team to be functional. Who do you think should replace them. More of the same. That's not rational. Aggressive men who cannot focus on issues because they cannot control their angry emotions should be replaced - by women. There is no-one else with a better track record of peaceful collaborative productivity. Every native culture in the world has women collaborating to provide basic needs while men go to war and bring home the odd chunk of meat.

Bottom line is, the only reason men dominate the world is because they aggressively beat down anyone who challenges them. They have muscles to enforce their dominance. Muscles do not THINK. Problems are solved by THINKING, not VIOLENCE.

Once you pass laws to prevent people from asserting dominance with violence, you get the peaceful problem solvers taking over. Thank god and not a moment too soon. Right before man (yes man not woman) obliterates us all with their foolish angry emotion driven behavior.
Re: Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 07, 2010
mythshurt:

As for women not understanding politics - the fact is, politics is dominated by overly emotional (angry\aggressive men) who focus on COMPETITION driven by AGGRESSION not COLLABORATION driven by the drive to provide BASIC NEEDS.

The richest countries in the world have disgraceful stats on hunger and homelessness. This is because men cannot solve these basic needs. Women are more attentive to basic needs because they are more concerned with peoples needs than men are. Men's primary drive is to fight for dominance. Women's primary focus is to provide basic needs. This is driven not by compassion but by common sense. A peaceful, well fed population is more PRODUCTIVE and HAPPY. A fighting hungry population is a MISERABLE one.

Which do you want

If you don't believe me just listen to men in the house of commons - pick Canada or the UK. They YELL, throw insults, shout each other down and solve nothing, day in, day out. It's a DISGRACE. Read the papers. Snide, relentless personal attacks while forgetting the debate at hand completely. Pathetic.

If anyone should be banned from voting it is overly aggressive, troublemakers who cannot remain calm and focus on the problem needing a solution. Who is that then Yes, it's men. The evidence is that you are not very good at leading, providing and protecting. While you are off warring, we are at home providing. Tell me than - who has a track record of focusing on what is really important.

People who cannot stay on topic and be respectful of each persons turn to participate in a debate should be removed. That is about half the men in politics - maybe more. On any team, those who are not team players must be replaced for the team to be functional. Who do you think should replace them. More of the same. That's not rational. Aggressive men who cannot focus on issues because they cannot control their angry emotions should be replaced - by women. There is no-one else with a better track record of peaceful collaborative productivity. Every native culture in the world has women collaborating to provide basic needs while men go to war and bring home the odd chunk of meat.

Bottom line is, the only reason men dominate the world is because they aggressively beat down anyone who challenges them. They have muscles to enforce their dominance. Muscles do not THINK. Problems are solved by THINKING, not VIOLENCE.

Once you pass laws to prevent people from asserting dominance with violence, you get the peaceful problem solvers taking over. Thank god and not a moment too soon. Right before man (yes man not woman) obliterates us all with their foolish angry emotion driven behavior.
Adenike Grange
iyabo obasanjo
Joy Emordi
Patricia Etteh
what makes them differnet from their male counterparts ?

(1) (Reply)

Photo- I Was Forced To Have Sex With My Pastor, Church Member Speak Out. / List Of Girls To Get Pregnant This 2016 (photo) / Leaked Office Sex Video Of Female Director Of Budget Goes Viral Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.