Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,793 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms (5020 Views)

Poll: Should License Be Allowed?

Yes: 48% (28 votes)
No: 51% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Under What Circumstance Can One Be Issued A Firearms Licence. / Should Nigerians (Especially those abroad) Be Proud of Nigeria? / Should Women Be Allowed To Vote? They May Not Understand Politics Correctly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by BlueMagic2(m): 11:39pm On Jul 01, 2010
With the indiscriminate corruption, robbery, looting, thievery, vandalism, abuse of human rights & all. I am of the opinion that Nigerians should be allowed to own guns & firearms for both their personal safety & protection of their fundamental human rights. It is a well known fact that Nigeria has an insensitive Government & corrupt Leaders, this is why nothing seems to be working in the country & 1 major reason why The country with all its potentials has not been able to maximize these potentials to be amongst the great nations of the world. A country whose Government can't provide electricity, good roads, water, shelter talkless of security for its citizens. I know many people might be of the view that Nigeria is not ripe enough for this way of life, but i say this thought is wrong. If the militants had not taken up arms to get their message across to the govt, the Nigerian Government would never have taken them seriously. Not saying i am in support of the militants but this scenario can only occur when u have an insensitive Government. A country where the so called police meant to maintain law & order, secure lives & property are equally lawless & as bad as the thieves & robbers they are meant to fight. Where the Police can commit so many atrocities like extra judicial killing of the citizens they are meant to protect & go Scot free cos why they are the law & they carry GUNS. Where any slowpoke can rob you of your belongings & life cos he/she has a GUN & there isn't adequate security in place to protect you. I SAY A BIG YES TO OWNING A GUN(s). Then maybe our government can listen to us & not take us for granted. And we can equally be able to protect our lives & properties without dependin on the so called FCUKin Nigerian Police Force. & also protect our fundamental human rights & our way of life.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Acidosis(m): 3:42am On Jul 02, 2010
I think its better for me to maintain this level of imperturbability than giving in to your opinion.
"The best way to protect the masses is to seize the illegal fire arms & guns"
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 02, 2010
@poster
IMHO, i think people should be able to protect their homes, family and properties the best they can and since most cops are corrupt, you may end up loosing it all because of someone's greed.

if i was living in 9ja i would DEFINITELY get myself a gun (legal or not) because thats the only way i would be 100% sure to protect whats mine. the arm robbers would have to kill me in a blaze of bullet before they takes what i have worked for all my damn life. . . . . . . and if i happen to kill them all then i would just tell the cops that i got the fire power from one of them robbers. et voila!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by sayso: 11:25am On Jul 02, 2010
you know the early days of Harlem in US,that is what this country will go through should that happen.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by davidif: 11:28am On Jul 02, 2010
Blue Magic:

With the indiscriminate corruption, robbery, looting, thievery, vandalism, abuse of human rights & all. I am of the opinion that Nigerians should be allowed to own guns & firearms for both their personal safety & protection of their fundamental human rights. It is a well known fact that Nigeria has an insensitive Government & corrupt Leaders, this is why nothing seems to be working in the country & 1 major reason why The country with all its potentials has not been able to maximize these potentials to be amongst the great nations of the world. A country whose Government can't provide electricity, good roads, water, shelter talkless of security for its citizens. I know many people might be of the view that Nigeria is not ripe enough for this way of life, but i say this thought is wrong. If the militants had not taken up arms to get their message across to the govt, the Nigerian Government would never have taken them seriously. Not saying i am in support of the militants but this scenario can only occur when u have an insensitive Government. A country where the so called police meant to maintain law & order, secure lives & property are equally lawless & as bad as the thieves & robbers they are meant to fight. Where the Police can commit so many atrocities like extra judicial killing of the citizens they are meant to protect & go Scot free cos why they are the law & they carry GUNS. Where any slowpoke can rob you of your belongings & life cos he/she has a GUN & there isn't adequate security in place to protect you. I SAY A BIG YES TO OWNING A GUN(s). Then maybe our government can listen to us & not take us for granted. And we can equally be able to protect our lives & properties without dependin on the so called FCUKin Nigerian Police Force. & also protect our fundamental human rights & our way of life.

[size=18pt]HA HA HA HA, LOOK AT THIS FUNNY TEXAN, YOU THINK SAY NAIJA NA USA. What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. If you let Nigerians own guns, the country would descend into chaos.[/size]
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by favouredjb(f): 11:43am On Jul 02, 2010
i dont think its a good idea,people will take it for granted,and start shooting indiscriminately

many areas will turn into compton
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by cold(m): 11:45am On Jul 02, 2010
davidif:

[size=18pt]HA HA HA HA, LOOK AT THIS FUNNY TEXAN, YOU THINK SAY NAIJA NA USA. What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. If you let Nigerians own guns, the country would descend into chaos.[/size]
Descend into chaos in what sense,can it get any worse?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Imagineers: 11:59am On Jul 02, 2010
You can always get a gun licensed in Nigeria legally if you are up to age of forty or you are legally employed or in business. But you are limited to Double Barrel or .22 bird rifles!!! If you are continuously harassed contact your DPO for advice. The license is renewed annually. Hand guns are illegal in Nigeria except you are a serving law enforcement officer.

If you consider the level of ammunition in the hands of criminals in the country. The irony of it is that the ignorant innocent man is at their mercy.

Most people who are aware of their rights and are ready to defend it are always protected
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by whiteroses(f): 12:23pm On Jul 02, 2010
bad idea! this reminds me of wetin happen growing up, our gateman was on hols so we go thru all his stuff including his gun, one day most of our cousins and some parents came visiting, gisting in the palour while a yoruba film was playing, i just heared everybody hands up! i thought it was from the tv only to se my little sister pointing a long wooden air riffle at us  shocked and she was laughing, someone started commanding to drop the gun she says no, it was funny to her, i was scared cos someone could get injured thank God for ibro the houseboy that sneaked round the couch and hunted her down from behind, lol all our relatives still talk about it till date  grin shes always been silly
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by mrofficial(m): 12:29pm On Jul 02, 2010
No sir. Oshodi with the lights on at night will not be easy.  That one alone is enough, now think about other crimes. All these shall be happening due to suffering and security failure. grin grin grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by homerac7: 12:30pm On Jul 02, 2010
what a question! dey neva needed one to own a gun/firearm or bomb or whateva b4 now, so who needs it? thousands of guns displayed durin elction periods and communual crises were never licensed, so are more ind creeks of d niger delta. how about ur uncle's dane gun in d village? moreover, if u were to license firearms, wld the hausa/fulani man with his matchette and sword (though meny of them have advanced to guns) still b guilty of illegal arm bearing when known fully well d intent if its possession? how about bow and arrows?

d problem is not about licensing or not, but d actual control of it. our security agencies cant control what we have now, how much more when ownership bcoms open? THERE WILL B ANARCHY !!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by emmydee(m): 12:43pm On Jul 02, 2010
Yes, Nigerians should be allowed officially, to carry arms!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Ranoscky(m): 12:44pm On Jul 02, 2010
who dey bring of dis kind topic as a suggestion for Naija? undecided. . .u well at all? undecided. . .we still dey suffer from thieves and kidnappers say their crime too much, u wan com bring dis idea join? undecided. . .NA LIE O! ko se se! unless dem go license'am only for the use to kill police peeps if them offend us b'cos, doz peeps na bunch of offenders. dem too dey provoke person so i think the idea go good for them. but if na to legalise gun for naija just for the sake of protection, make u no say na BIG problem be tha O! b'cos e get peeps wey u go just tell "U DEY MAD?" b4 u know it, ma guy u'r a gonner. some peeps go just come out from dia house one morning, just shoot anybody wey dem see; if u ask dem why? dem go tell u say since wey dem by d gun, dem never test'am to know if e dey work or not. my own be say, we no need'am for Naija b'cos, if dem allow'am, na'em be say Naija don turn to Iraq and Iran b dat!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by CarlosVent(m): 12:49pm On Jul 02, 2010
DEY SHULD NOT OTHERWISE
HA GA EGBU MMADU
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Dozita(m): 1:27pm On Jul 02, 2010
look at it dis way.we live in a country where the police and even vigilante groups proudly display the corpses of 'armed robbers' shot dead.even police recruits on patrol are armed with mean-looking rifles instead of service pistols.mobs lynch suspected criminals on a regular basis.if everyone owned guns oga john would simply accuse his percieved foe,mallam hassan of a crime & shout ole and the angry guntotting mob would do the rest.we need to see guns less often not more.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by asunaobi(m): 1:35pm On Jul 02, 2010
I think that will be a good idea if Nigeria will be able to produce enough coffins to bury people.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Acidosis(m): 1:39pm On Jul 02, 2010
emmydee:

Yes, Nigerians should be allowed officially, to carry arms!
Then don't break your girlfriend's heart, she might BLOW YOUR HEAD!
Always be ready to meet your ancestors, each time you argue with a conductor/agbero.
Your kid might jokingly penetrate a bullet into your fore brain.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Laughter1(m): 1:41pm On Jul 02, 2010
@ Poster, No disrepect to you but thats not a practical way of solving problems. It will only worsen the situation. I don't think you know the consequences. Hundreds of people will die on a daily basis. Nigeria will just be like the popular [size=16pt]"Call of Duty" game[/size].  
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by deluxecad(m): 2:00pm On Jul 02, 2010
YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!

SINCE OUR SECURITY OUTFITS CANNOT EFFICIENTLY POLICE THE NATION AND PUT CRIME IN CHECK. I NEED AN UZI AND 50RPM REVOLVER TO WARD OFF ANY MISCREANT.

YES, YES, YES!!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Viciyke(m): 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2010
I disagree wit d notion dat Nigerians should own gun(s). Nigeria doesn't possess a data based 2 register all guns. If Nigerians are allowed to own gun, killings will increase since d police cannot trace d particular gun dat did d shoting to the owner (Because we don't av forensic scientist in Nigeria).

As Nigerian's, we all know how we abuse tins. Given dat guns ar allowed to all citizens i believe the rate of crime will increase.

Instead of allowing guns, the government should take more stringent measures to check the flow of illegal weapons to criminal because personally i don't bliv we ar mature enough to own guns.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by safariman(m): 2:31pm On Jul 02, 2010
Good idea to allow gun ownership in Nigeria, Rubbers will think twice before coming to your house
In the US, the city of Washington DC has one of the strictest gun ban laws and yet has one of the highest murder rate, Virginia has one of the most liberal gun laws, but has one of the lowest murder rates
Countries like England has strict gun laws= high gun crime rate
Switzerland has liberal gun laws = low gun crime rate

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by gmailer2: 2:51pm On Jul 02, 2010
It will be drastic, all the fustration around, with guns in our pockets, it will be dreadful
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by kabukabu(m): 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2010
Am I missing something here sad sad.Criminals everywhere not only nigeria ALWAYS have access to guns,no amount of regulation can stop that even in the US,they are armed, you can't regulate it.Give law abiding citizens the right to bear arms,simple,yes there would be cases of neighbours quarrels turning into shoot outs but same happens everywhere even in the states,but the needs here outweighs the risk by far.

You can't regulate gun crimes, thats why you prosecute ppl,guns don't kill, people do.thats why we have courts and prisons.I would rather be judegd by 12 than carried by 6.

Reduce the gun ownership range to at least 25 or 30yrs old,40 is ridiculous.many 30 yr olds are homeowners.Restrict use to homes and business,do not allow conceal carry as some states do in the US.

I know too many people who have lost their lives to robbers bullets,without a chance to have a say when their moment should come, its a disgrace.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by dolu2007(m): 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2010
That would be Suicidal
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by donleke(m): 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2010
I would say a big YES to this , it may sound sucidal but I am absolutely sure it ensure security of lives and properties . An armed robber planning to rob will think twice before doing it . The robber will know there is a very good chance EVERYBODY is armed , so he/she will need to imagine the consequence very well grin Furthermore , I am sure the police will now learn to treat citizens with due respect , especially at their ever increasing check points , they know you have a gun , just like they do , so the respect comes and they learn to do their job and let you go ; Imagine our Higher institutions where some sick power drunk students intimidate their mates because they have acquired guns ilegally , Wow , it will simply erase the era of cult intimidation of students . It may initially cause some little grin skirmishes here and there ( which is like a norm now in some parts of the country ) , untll everybody learns that " guns dont kill people , people kill people " , Im out.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by topup: 6:00pm On Jul 02, 2010
I definitely disagree, look at a country like America, they have a great legal system, and criminals are usually ALWAYS cost, but the expenses are overwhelming, imagine a police officer preparing for death at everytime he stops a drunken driver on the street.

If you watch cop shows, compare British to American, the American is MUCH more violent, and that doesn't mean that they have less crime.

It gains nothing worth the things that are lost - I believe.

donleke:

I would say a big YES to this , it may sound sucidal but I am absolutely sure it ensure security of lives and properties . An armed robber planning to rob will think twice before doing it . Most armed robbers are already suicidal, desperate or drugged up. Try and reason with ap erson who feels indestructable and on drugs.The robber will know there is a very good chance EVERYBODY is armed , so he/she will need to imagine the consequence very well Go in shooting everyone, like they do already??grin Furthermore , I am sure the police will now learn to treat citizens with due respect , especially at their ever increasing check points , they know you have a gun Shouldn't a better police force be the aim, and not to reduce the interest and no. of applicants for that job role, do we want to intimidate those who are to keep us safe, to the point,, just like they do , so the respect comes and they learn to do their job and let you go ; Imagine our Higher institutions where some sick power drunk students intimidate their mates because they have acquired guns ilegally , Wow , it will simply erase the era of cult intimidation of students It definitely won't. Guns are legal in America, and there are sorority/society cults there too.. It may initially cause some little grin skirmishes here and there These are valuable human lives!!( which is like a norm now in some parts of the country ) , untll everybody learns that " guns dont kill people , people kill people " , Im out.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by tellwisdom: 6:06pm On Jul 02, 2010
Yes so i cld have access to the lives of the senators and ministers ( All crooks)
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by mike4livechosen: 6:56pm On Jul 02, 2010
No, i do not support that because there will be lots of killing
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by Sissy3(f): 7:05pm On Jul 02, 2010
NO

NO

NO
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by kabukabu(m): 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2010
mike4livechosen:

No, i do not support that because there will be lots of killing

there is already "lots of killing" cheesy cheesy,obviosly has not been living in nigeria.

dolu2007:

That would be Suicidal

It already is grandpa grin grin Better to have honest citizens the ability to decide if they want to die like dogs in the hands of violent criminals or fight back
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by kabukabu(m): 7:15pm On Jul 02, 2010
Blue Magic:

I agree 100% with you,it seems as if its mostly us living outside of naija understand how gun owmnership is a detterent to crime
Re: Should Nigerians Be Allowed To Have A License To Own Guns/firearms by seedord247(m): 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2010
I would really appreciate if Nigerian Government can do this for the masses, I mean there would be no more police harassing me everyday on the road.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prof. Kaita, Anti-polio vaccine professor alleges harassment / What Color Is This Dress? / Pdf Or Adobe Reader On ASHA 205

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.