Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,462 members, 7,846,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:44 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (203) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (984428 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Shawshank: 12:38pm On Apr 14, 2017
drafrican:

Got here and noticed no one was really ans my Virginia questions and I was wondering ,till yday o.then someone pMed me it's now 4500 .
For vaginal (hospital bill )and 850 for dr WF for vaginal.
So pple don port just that my own second option is Michigan all inclusive for 9500(dr bill hospital baby drugs and all )
Pls what's the process to get a birth certificate In Virginia ,cos d last place I used hospital does it for you and u get it in ur mail
@Drafrican, please still call me. Mailed you my number.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by YizzleBizzle17: 1:12pm On Apr 14, 2017
[quote author=Marylandmama post=55520143]In the spirit of giving back…. I have been a silent reader on this thread, had my first baby in Maryland in 2015 and just got into Maryland for 2nd missionary journey this afternoon.

Can I send you a PM pls?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Marylandmama: 1:23pm On Apr 14, 2017
[quote author=YizzleBizzle17 post=55562747][/quote]

Got your PM, tried replying you but it bounced back.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Marylandmama: 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2017
Update
Went for my first appointment yesterday and it went well.

I was able to open an account with bank of America. Had an account with them in 2015 but had to close it cos of charges. I just told the lady that I ll like to open an account again and she made a copy of my international passport and I also showed her my gtb mastercard. She just pulled out my info from the previous account and updated my address to the new one. Got my temporary card before I left the bank. This happened in bank of America branch in Columbia mall Maryland
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by YizzleBizzle17: 1:55pm On Apr 14, 2017
Marylandmama:

Got your PM, tried replying you but it bounced back.

Can I get a mail add?
Wifey is due with our 1st in August. Has her B2 visa. We're using MD cos we've family.
I need your guidance in terms of getting an OBGYN who'll give correspondence cos of PoE. In terms of hospital. I understand it's important to have an OBGYN who has admission privileges in the hospital you wanna use. Grateful for any assistance.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by iamnikky69: 3:53pm On Apr 14, 2017
Thanks a lot for ur answer. One more thing...Pls does this correspondence include any other thing apart from the price quotations from the doctor? Cos that's all he sent to me.

iphiechuks:
You only show the correspondences to the VO at the embassy. U dont need to involve them in your email exchange.

Someone can as well help you with accommodation, though I will be heading to Dallas but have a family there to stay with.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by iamnikky69: 3:54pm On Apr 14, 2017
Ok, thanks a lot

Vlesparza:

All supporting documentation has to be provided by the applicant in person on the day of the interview. They do not accept emails from third parties on behalf of anybody.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Ashynabs: 7:29pm On Apr 14, 2017
Hi I asked a question o. The best POE and no one answered my questions am Houston bound
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by drafrican: 7:47pm On Apr 14, 2017
I have only used dulles and bwi and they are very good poe, a mama scaled the famous chicago but avoid houston sha, atlanta too seems ok
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Dwebb55: 8:20pm On Apr 14, 2017
YizzleBizzle17:

Can I get a mail add?
Wifey is due with our 1st in August. Has her B2 visa. We're using MD cos we've family.
I need your guidance in terms of getting an OBGYN who'll give correspondence cos of PoE. In terms of hospital. I understand it's important to have an OBGYN who has admission privileges in the hospital you wanna use. Grateful for any assistance.

There are several hospital's in MD, it depends on where you'll be staying there. However, MD is expensive to birth and you have to weigh your options well. Read from thread 3 and you'll be fine
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by baeboss: 8:48pm On Apr 14, 2017
Ashynabs:
Hi I asked a question o. The best POE and no one answered my questions am Houston bound

You can try Dallas. Then get a local flight to Houston.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MsDenise: 12:19am On Apr 15, 2017
Hi everyone, jet lag is doing a number on me so I'll drop my POE experience as best as I can.

Flew Emirates at 32 weeks plus with LO. I filled and stamped the MEDIF form via my doctor and sent it to the airline. I got a call from Emirates a day to travel asking that I send my doctors Fit to Certificate since I accidentally missed a section in the form where I was meant to state the nature of my 'incapacitation' ( if that makes any sense). Was only asked for Fit to fly at the airport and I gave out 2 copies - once in Lagos and other in Dubai.

*plowing through*

8 hour flight Lag - Dubai
15 hour plus flight DXB - IAH (almighty HOUSTON grin)
Not for the faint hearted. The only seats where we could spread out and sleep were at the back of the plane so it was a tough choice between sleep and early disembarkment from the plane. I chose the latter to my ultimate chagrin - 15 hours sitting at an awkward angle is not a good idea. My LO had 2 seats to sleep on so I guess I have a lot to learn from her.

I digress..

Landed about 3:40pm local time and I sprinted out the plane with my backpack n LO like a rabbit - enjoying watching the other passengers fade into the distance covered by my dust - only to meet a hall full of other passengers from 2 previously arrived flights. angry
They caught up with me in no time and my sprint only hurt my poor back.
When it was finally my turn:

CBP lady: Passport
Me: Hello (smiling n hands passports and landing card)
CBP Lady: (stamps n hands daughters pp back) when was your last visit and what was the purpose?
Me: June last year for vacation
CBP Lady: how long are you staying this time?
Didn't ask the purpose of visit
Me: 3 months
CBP Lady: Ok. Pls put your fingers on the machine bla bla bla

Was about to stamp my passport when I thought to myself - is it that she can't see my belly?

CBP Lady: Oh, you are pregnant? Good thing you told me. (Didn't realize I had spoken aloud) You will need to go for secondary inspection.

I didn't mean to hide it in the first place - after all I had prepared like a Jambite of old when I decided to use Houston as POE but to get sent to secondary inspection after a 15 hour flight was not my idea of fun. Anyway I go to the designated inspection room and patiently wait to be called. My LO had fallen asleep and was busy trying to get super comfy on her vita foam bed - aka mummy and I was thanking my stars that even though I was exhausted, I had the good sense to use a light weight backpack as carry on instead of a suitcase.

The room had the odd mix of people but there were 4 black people - 3 of them Nigerians from their accents and one Franco phone lady. As I was taking a seat, an inspection officer was telling one Naija guy 'I hope you know you are going back home. Your story is not plausible'
The guy hung his head and nodded. Never found out what his issue was. Just when I thought that was all, the same officer called a Naija girl and told her that her return ticket was sorted and she would be leaving on the next flight back to Naija.

At this point, I was like 'Is it one of those negative days?

The Francophone lady was pregnant and insisting that she planned to stay for 1 month only for holiday - showing her leave letter as proof. After enough bickering, the officer stamped her in for a month - only for her to say 'I don't think I'd be in a position to travel back home in a month as my pregnancy would have progressed significantly!'

The CBP officer just lost it! After telling her off and asking if she thought he was stupid, he dismissed her with 'Bye Felicia!' I no fit! I just burst Laff!!!! Some people have guts sha.

When it was my turn,
CBP 2: (seeing my belly/my sleeping child) how are you?
Me: Tired as hell
CBP 2: ok. Let's get to it. Did you have your LO here?
Me: Yes. This would be my third LO here. I have my receipts for all 3 and yes I notified the embassy about changing my intent of travel. (Hands over 3 bound folders containing all bills, receipts, doctor and hospital correspondence and consulate emails.)

Note - I didn't know about zero balance letters until this forum so I arranged my documents to show bill and receipt for each service received plus table of contents. It looked like a University project.

CBP 2: Wow! Someone came prepared!
Me: Someone is really tired.
CBP 2: Ok, I won't keep you. What do u and your husband do for work?
Me: (told him)
CBP 2: Alright, do the same for this baby as you did with the first 2. Welcome to the USA.
Me: (peace sign)

Collected my luggage, Found my cab and sped home.
Phew!
Note to self - Houston POE is only as formidable as your preparation. Confidence and preparedness is key. Plus meeting a CBP officer with a bit of compassion. All in all - follow the rules and don't try to play smart.

Lemme rest. My eyes are really heavy.
I hope this helps someone planning to travel through Houston.

Sorry for the long post.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by dami20: 2:52am On Apr 15, 2017
4lakemi:
Hello Everyone, please does anyone have experience with Newark New Jersey POE for pregnant women. Thanks

I can in through Newark New Jersey and my POE experience was not stressful at all

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by TWoods(m): 3:37am On Apr 15, 2017
Ashynabs:

All POEs are ok. Pick anyone, as long as you're honest, you're good.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by markmard: 6:52am On Apr 15, 2017
TWoods:

All POEs are ok. Pick anyone, as long as you're honest, you're good.

TWoods ,i disagree with you on this!! ,Houston airport is the most unfriendly airport in usa especially towards Nigerians ,i will never never travel via Houston airport my candid opinion,why send most Nigerians and every pregnant woman to secondary inspection !!! ...IAH Poe with long queue,bogus questions and unnecessary delays (((((

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by TWoods(m): 8:18am On Apr 15, 2017
markmard:

TWoods ,i disagree with you on this!! ,Houston airport is the most unfriendly airport in usa especially towards Nigerians ,i will never never travel via Houston airport my candid opinion,why send most Nigerians and every pregnant woman to secondary inspection !!! ...IAH Poe with long queue,bogus questions and unnecessary delays (((((

I'm Nigerian... i just flew to and from the Houston airport barely 2 days ago and there is nothing wrong with it. It is true that they send "most Nigerians and every pregnant woman" to secondary inspection, but that is because most of us are frauds who have an unhealthy disdain for rules and the truth. We give every serious immigration official who sees our passport reason to suspect us - using fraudulent passports, carrying drugs, lying to visa officers to obtain immigration benefits etc. If we change our ways, others will start to respect us.

Think about it for a second, Houston has the highest concentration of Nigerians in the United States. It is also the number destination for pregnant Nigerian women. CBP officers know that you are coming PRIMARILY to grant your kids US citizenship - some of them resent this, for good reason. Also they have to be mindful of the fact that many plan to resort to government benefits. It is common sense to expect a CBP officer in Houston to be far more suspicious of a pregnant Nigerian than one in Idaho.

14 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by uzyfine: 10:09am On Apr 15, 2017
iphiechuks:
You only show the correspondences to the VO at the embassy. U dont need to involve them in your email exchange.

Someone can as well help you with accommodation, though I will be heading to Dallas but have a family there to stay with.
pls which hospital will u use in Dallas and what are the quotes am considering Baylor Scott and white Carrollton but yet to contact them

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by freshdad: 10:25am On Apr 15, 2017
i agree with you on this, knowing not all these CBP officer like the idea of people birthing in the US and the Nigerian fact which has become a thing we a recognised for, it is only normal for them to be wary. IMO
TWoods:

I'm Nigerian... i just flew to and from the Houston airport barely 2 days ago and there is nothing wrong with it. It is true that they send "most Nigerians and every pregnant woman" to secondary inspection,

Think about it for a second, Houston has the highest concentration of Nigerians in the United States. It is also the number destination for pregnant Nigerian women. CBP officers know that you are coming PRIMARILY to grant your kids US citizenship - some of them resent this, for good reason. Also they have to be mindful of the fact that many plan to resort to government benefits. It is common sense to expect a CBP officer in Houston to be far more suspicious of a pregnant Nigerian than one in Idaho.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Kween2014: 10:36am On Apr 15, 2017
Congratu;ations MsDenise...you are such an amazing writer aswear! All the best with the rest of the journey

[quote author=MsDenise post=55578269]Hi everyone, jet lag is doing a number on me so I'll drop my POE experience as best as I can.

Flew Emirates at 32 weeks plus with LO. I filled and stamped the MEDIF form via my doctor and sent it to the airline. I got a call from Emirates a day to travel asking that I send my doctors Fit to Certificate since I accidentally missed a section in the form where I was meant to state the nature of my 'incapacitation' ( if that makes any sense). Was only asked for Fit to fly at the airport and I gave out 2 copies - once in Lagos and other in Dubai.

*plowing through*

8 hour flight Lag - Dubai
15 hour plus flight DXB - IAH (almighty HOUSTON grin)
Not for the faint hearted. The only seats where we could spread out and sleep were at the back of the plane so it was a tough choice between sleep and early disembarkment from the plane. I chose the latter to my ultimate chagrin - 15 hours sitting at an awkward angle is not a good idea. My LO had 2 seats to sleep on so I guess I have a lot to learn from her.

I digress..

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by anonymousmum: 11:36am On Apr 15, 2017
MsDenise:
Hi everyone, jet lag is doing a number on me so I'll drop my POE experience as best as I can.

Flew Emirates at 32 weeks plus with LO. I filled and stamped the MEDIF form via my doctor and sent it to the airline. I got a call from Emirates a
Lemme rest. My eyes are really heavy.
I hope this helps someone planning to travel through Houston.

Sorry for the long post.

Hilarious post grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by boluwagin: 1:17pm On Apr 15, 2017
temmyo:

Can't pm o. My nairaland email isn't working. I just want to know if the money includes hearing test, and if it was for the entire stay of baby in the hospital.

Also I don't think it would hurt to drop the name of her pediatrics group at least.

Thanks.

@temmyo, No! Hearing test wasn't included, she said she doesn't do hearing test and Yes it was for the entire stay of baby in the hospital and 1 clinic visit after hospital discharge when LO is 4-7 day old.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by elizabetha(f): 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2017
Hello Mums,
Anyone interested in sharing a room in Chase hotels, Elpaso for a month (19th April to 18th May 2017)? Cost for a month (that person's share of the total room cost) is circa $700. Please Holla.

NB: you enjoy complimentary breakfast and dinner, free shuttle for 3 miles radius etc.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Ayokunle07(m): 7:59am On Apr 16, 2017
Hi Reniduke

Have you found a doctor? Someone posted that she used one Dr Elizabeth Collins. You can take it up from there. I'm also still searching for a doctor whose office isn't too far from my host's. Let me know when you get one.

reniduke:

Anyone able to help me here?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by staceyo(f): 11:56am On Apr 16, 2017
Hello house
Please l need a doctor's contact and their charge at Inova fair oaks Virginia.
I am due to leave for US next week.
Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Cuteaidomo: 5:54pm On Apr 16, 2017
Good day all....please I have 2 questions and I will be needing clarification.
1. Pls can my LO who is an American citizen access free healthcare in the states? If yes, how do we go about it pls? She's meant to undergo a medical procedure which is not an emergency and since I will be traveling with her in August to have baby no 2,I'm considering doing it over there. Pls I hope there are no negative effects to this. Anyone with such experience can pls throw more light.

2.Has anyone put his/her LOs in a crèche or playgroup while on this birthing journey? From what age can they be in such schools and is it free for American citizens?

3. Any elpaso mums traveling btw late July and August should pls holla @ me,we could hook up for accommodation and other logistics.

Thanks all.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by staceyo(f): 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2017
Please can l have the doctor's and d paediatrician's contact.
Hw much did u pay for doctor's fee.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Shawbabe: 6:49pm On Apr 16, 2017
Cuteaidomo:
1. Pls can my LO who is an American citizen access free healthcare in the states? If yes, how do we go about it pls? She's meant to undergo a medical procedure which is not an emergency and since I will be traveling with her in August to have baby no 2,I'm considering doing it over there. Pls I hope there are no negative effects to this. Anyone with such experience can pls throw more light.

2.Has anyone put his/her LOs in a crèche or playgroup while on this birthing journey? From what age can they be in such schools and is it free for American citizens?

3. Any elpaso mums traveling btw late July and August should pls holla @ me,we could hook up for accommodation and other logistics.

Thanks all.

Talk about being ready to start milking the benefits lol cheesy

Well to answer both your questions, as far as I know, the answer to your questions are NO! You are liable for anything your child uses here in the US. Medicals and daycare. US aint Canada that free health starts from birth. So my advice is to factor in the expense for your toddler too on this trip. Becoz they'll come for you if you have the government pay for her treatment. Well either the government or TWoods comes for you grin

Seriously though, you can't use free healthcare for her. There's no free healthcare in the U.S. Someone is paying somewhere, you (insurance, works, etc) or the government.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by TWoods(m): 6:56pm On Apr 16, 2017
Cuteaidomo:

Thanks all.

This is why CBP officers pull you over at POEs. There is no free healthcare in the US. It comes out of our paychecks every month. You are responsible financially for your child's healthcare. If the consular officers find out, you will find it difficult to get a US visa again.

No free creche. You have to pay for it... daycares can be quite expensive so plan ahead. On the other hand, you can find private baby sitters... consider planning towards at least $20/day for teenage babysitters. If your child is younger than 5 then the public school option may not be open to you. I've heard that Houston schools are not the best though... at least most of my friends there are opting for fee-paying private schools instead of the free public schools.

Bottomline, its troubling that you're already hunting for "freebies" just because you found a VO gullible enough to grant you a visa to birth your child here. You do not contribute anything to the society, why should you expect freebies for your child? Who do you think pays for those freebies?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Travelling To Canada Part 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.