Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships (932 Views)

Photos of Stephen Keshi Stadium Asaba: Africa Senior Athletics Championship / Blessing Oborududu Wins Gold At Comonwealth Games (Photos) / Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:31am On Oct 31, 2016
Oshonaike Wins African Table Tennis Title As
Quadri Loses Final

Nigeria’s Funke Oshonaike won the women’s
singles title but the country’s top ranked table
tennis star Aruna Quadri lost 4-3 to Egypt’s Omar
Assar in the men’s singles final of the
International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Africa
Senior Championships in Agadir, Morocco on
Sunday, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

In the women’s singles event, veteran Funke Oshonaike
defeated Dina Meshref 4-2 in the final to become
the new African champion.

Quadri, who along with Segun Toriola retained the
men’s doubles title for Nigeria at the (ITTF) Africa
Senior Championships on Saturday, rallied back
from three sets down to tie Assar 3-3 but lost 9-7
in the deciding game.

Quadri won a gold medal in the men’s doubles
event and two silver medals in the men’s team
and singles events.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/oshonaike-wins-african-table-tennis-title-quadri-loses-final/
Re: Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:37am On Oct 31, 2016

Toriola, Quadri retain men’s doubles title

Having watched Egypt claimed three titles ahead of them in the ITTF Africa Senior Championships, Nigeria showed their quality in the men’s doubles as the pair of Aruna Quadri and Segun Toriola retained the men’s doubles title.

Pairing for the first time in a major championship, the partnership of Quadri and Toriola conquered Egyptian teams to hold on to the title won in 2015 by Aruna Quadri and Kazeem Makanjuola.

The Nigerian duo defeated ageing Egyptians – El-Sayed Lashin and Ahmed Saleh 4-2 to give
Nigeria its first gold medal in the one-week
championship holding in Agadir, Morocco.

An elated Toriola said: “For us winning this title is very good because I had said earlier that it is a must for us to win the doubles title. But I must
also tell you that it was not an easy match
because the match was strange to us in all
departments. Also our opponents are very
experienced players and clever, so we are so
excited claiming the first gold medal for Nigeria in this competition.”

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/toriola-quadri-retain-mens-doubles-title/
Re: Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by Tolexander: 5:43am On Oct 31, 2016
Oshonaike is just so pretty, I love her!
keep it up sis!
Re: Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by Tolexander: 5:54am On Oct 31, 2016
Isn't high time we found a replacement for Toriola?
Seems age is not on his side again!

But wondering why our table tennis team has been dominated by yorubas. Is it that other tribes aren't interested in the game?
Re: Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:05am On Oct 31, 2016
In Ojo Onaolapo, I believe Nigeria has Toriola's long-term replacement. smiley

Aruna Quadri is also still young. My only ish with Aruna is that he almost always loses to Egypt's Omar Assar in singles finals. His head-to-head against Assar is not good. For every one win he gets against Assar at major tournaments, Assar gets like 5-6wins... Frustrating.

But in the international circles, Aruna always outshines Assar. Aruna was a Quarterfinalist in the singles event at Rio 2016 (THE FIRST AT THAT STAGE AND BEST EVER BY AN AFRICAN IN TABLE TENNIS HISTORY AT THE OLYMPICS).

He also did well at the last Table Tennis World cup where he finished in the Round of 16 better than all other African reps.

And yeah... Table tennis is taken very seriously in the west hence yoruba's domination of the game in Nigeria.

We can do more for the game as Egypt no dey smile.

Tolexander:
Isn't high time we found a replacement for Toriola?
Seems age is not on his side again!

But wondering why our table tennis team has been dominated by yorubas. Is it that other tribes aren't interested in the game?
Re: Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by Tolexander: 7:02am On Oct 31, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
In Ojo Onaolapo, I believe Nigeria has Toriola's long-term replacement. smiley

Aruna Quadri is also still young. My only ish with Aruna is that he almost always loses to Egypt's Omar Assar in singles finals. His head-to-head against Assar is not good. For every one win he gets against Assar at major tournaments, Assar gets like 5-6wins... Frustrating.

But in the international circles, Aruna always outshines Assar. Aruna was a Quarterfinalist in the singles event at Rio 2016 (THE FIRST AT THAT STAGE AND BEST EVER BY AN AFRICAN IN TABLE TENNIS HISTORY AT THE OLYMPICS).

He also did well at the last Table Tennis World cup where he finished in the Round of 16 better than all other African reps.

And yeah... Table tennis is taken very seriously in the west hence yoruba's domination of the game in Nigeria.

We can do more for the game as Egypt no dey smile.

I've not been hearing much from Ojo Onaolapo since he's been snapped up by the Portuguese tennis club, ADC Ponta. I haven't read of his development apart from the Italian league he won. Seems I will need to update myself on that, googling. looking at his start, he may surpass Toriola if he is hardworking.

I'm so much concerned about the replacement for Toriola cos of the men's doubles, who is going to be Aruna Quadri's partner in future, age is not on Toriola's side again.

Aruna seems to have head to head record against Omar Assar in the international circle cos both players are not really meeting. grin
Re: Oshonaike, Toriola And Quadri Win Gold At ITTF Africa Senior Championships by Tolexander: 10:44am On Oct 31, 2016
where is lalasticlala self?
Sport is not all about football alone!

(1) (Reply)

(photo) Ronaldo Congratulates Team After A 3-0 Win Over Atletico Madrid / Striker Michael Uchebo Speaks On Dying In Silence And Slavery In Portugal / Bet9ja green villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.