Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) (16393 Views)

Herdsmen Stab 49-Year-Old Farmer To Death In Ogun - Vanguard / Man Dies After Police Torture For Celebrating Birthday Without Permission / Farmer To Die By Hanging In Delta For Robbing Victims Of N170, Nokia Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by dre11(m): 8:22am On Nov 01, 2016
Samson Folarin

A 42-year-old farmer, Segun Elegbede, has died in the custody of policemen from the Magbon Police Division, Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Segun was tortured before being abducted by a team of policemen from the Anti-Robbery Squad of the state, who invaded Ajibawo village, in the Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area.

The policemen were alleged to have looted shops in the community after which they descended on the victim.

He was said to have been taken away to the division and prevented from seeing friends and family members.

Seven days after he was arrested, a member of his family was reportedly called on the telephone that he was dead and his corpse deposited in a morgue.

A hairdresser in Ajibawo, Modinat Akinola, said no one knew the reason for the attack which occurred on October 14, 2016, adding that her shop was among those looted by the policemen.

She said, “On that day, I saw about four policemen around 3pm; they came in a commercial bus. Suddenly they started shooting, and everybody fled.

“I tried to hide inside my shop with my two children. Other policemen later arrived in a patrol van. They broke into my shop and damaged my refrigerator and other electronics.

“They took away my phones, recharge cards, ATM cards, money, canned malt, tin milk and bottled drinks, among others. The value of everything is about N400,000. A man, who was sleeping in the house beside my shop, was attacked and taken away that day.”

Akinola said she later reported the incident at the Atan Ota Police Station.

The wife of the victim, Fatimoh Elegbede, said she was not around, adding that she was alerted to the attack around 5pm.

“When I got back to the community, everywhere was deserted. When I entered our house, I saw that it had been vandalised.

“When I got to Magbon Police Division, I was not allowed to see my husband; they kept asking me to exercise patience. After seven days, the police called my husband’s sister that she should come for his corpse,” she added.

The family lawyer, John Aina, described the incident as unfortunate, saying the police had refused to disclose where the corpse of the victim was deposited.

Aina, who had petitioned the Ogun State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ahmed Iliasu, said the police must investigate the death and bring the perpetrators to book.

He said, “The policemen, before leaving the village, arrested some "okada (motorcycle) riders and took away their motorcycles. They were released a few days later. But the deceased, who was arrested while sleeping, was kept from seeing his family until he was declared dead.

“Why did the officers invade the village that day? Why was the deceased arrested? Why did the policemen loot shops in the area? Why was Mr. Segun Elegbede not charged to court promptly if he committed any crime? Why wasn’t he released on bail or allowed to see his family members? Where are the corpse and the autopsy report? The police authorities must investigate these issues. We will be taking appropriate legal actions against the police on the matter.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said he was not aware of the incident, promising to get back to our correspondent.
He had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

http://punchng.com/police-loot-community-torture-farmer-death/

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by dukechilezie(m): 8:25am On Nov 01, 2016
What is the fate of an ordinary citizen in Nigeria when those ones who are paid to protect us have become nightmares to us. Most times the perpetrators will walk scot free without any sanctions.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by sekundosekundo: 8:34am On Nov 01, 2016
POLICE LOOT COMMUNITY, TORTURE FARMER TO DEATH.

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Young03(m): 9:00am On Nov 01, 2016
ah don't even know wat to type now

4 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by dikeigbo2(m): 9:00am On Nov 01, 2016
Police policing with impurities.... God unto your precious care we laid down our lives,save us please.

5 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Born14clara(m): 11:50am On Nov 01, 2016
Nigerian pol-ice are criminals. I was arrested for holding a mirror in the bank and I ended up paying 20k for my bail. God punish all pol-ice officers.

2 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by jamalnation(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2016
K
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by cepha4: 11:51am On Nov 01, 2016
G
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by MidasTouche01(m): 11:52am On Nov 01, 2016
I'm sure the sentence "Police is your friend" is meant as a joke, and many Nigerians know this....

Take a police as your friend at your own peril.. sad

2 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by TeleboiZ005(m): 11:52am On Nov 01, 2016
NCAN over to u guys

4 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by RockHard: 11:53am On Nov 01, 2016
Nigerian police can be deadlier than boko haram. Avoid police custody by all means lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by OHIsIManuEL(m): 11:53am On Nov 01, 2016
Nigeria, garbage in, garbage out, Wish we can all start all over again

1 Like

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by slimpoet11(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2016
Just dey look

1 Like

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by teepsee(f): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2016
the police is your friend

2 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Araoluwa005(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2016
I personally don't believe this story. I don't say we have good police oooo
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by passyhansome(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2016
Nigeria Police Force,
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by designking: 11:55am On Nov 01, 2016
The current Inspector General of Police of Nigeria is the weakest we ever had. No reform, no policy direction and no bite from him at all. The police is sinking into new lows everyday and regrettably he is aiding and abetting it.

All the current IGP cares about is chasing lost cars from the past IGP.
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Wynnah(m): 11:56am On Nov 01, 2016
This is really terrible.. No good report on the Nigerian Police ever...
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by oake(m): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2016
This is extra judicial killing and illegal operation. Which way Naija?

“They took away my phones, recharge cards, ATM cards, money, canned malt, tin milk and bottled drinks, among others. The value of everything is about N400,000. A man, who was sleeping in the house beside my shop, was attacked and taken away that day.”
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by AngelAhnie(f): 11:59am On Nov 01, 2016
Born14clara:
Nigerian pol-ice are criminals. I was arrested for holding a mirror in the bank and I ended up paying 20k for my bail. God punish all pol-ice officers.
What were you doing with a mirror in the bank?

1 Like

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by SamuelAnyawu(m): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
The Nigeria Police Force is Your Friend cool
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by AngelAhnie(f): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
Police is not your friend... It better to see them as your enemies. R.I.P to the dead
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Boodide: 12:03pm On Nov 01, 2016
MidasTouche01:
I'm sure the sentence "Police is your friend" is meant as a joke, and many Nigerians know this....

Take a police as your friend at your own peril.. sad

Very funny joke

1 Like

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Partaker(m): 12:04pm On Nov 01, 2016
Born14clara:
man what were you doing with mirror in the bank? you deserved to pay more than that

2 Likes

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by eezeribe(m): 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2016
Criminals
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by Mufasa27(m): 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2016
Born14clara:
Wetin you carry mirror come do for bank, na wa 4 u oo, Dem no suppose collect your bail sef..
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by kingthreat(m): 12:17pm On Nov 01, 2016
This is why I dont have compassion on some police men when they are at the mercy of armed robbers and militants
Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by royalfamily(m): 12:39pm On Nov 01, 2016
God help us oo.... I rebuke every friend like police in my life ijn ..

1 Like

Re: Police Torture Farmer To Death In Ogun (photo) by ogene007: 12:43pm On Nov 01, 2016
dukechilezie:
What is the fate of an ordinary citizen in Nigeria when those ones who are paid to protect us have become nightmares to us. Most times the perpetrators will walk scot free without any sanctions.
The police are simply following the example of Bubu in doing things extrajudicial. When the DSS are abusing the rights of the high and mighty without recourse to due process and Bubu's supporters are urging them on, why is it a surprise that other security agencies would not cherry pick from the large population of the vulnerable to abuse. The security agencies are raping and abusing women and girls across all the IDP camps.Nigeria has adopted the culture of anarchy and arbitrariness and it stems from the main 'Oga' at the top. So people, enjoy the new culture brought about by APC change.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bandits Kill Seven People In Katsina / Pastor Udoh Okon Arrested For Raping A 9-Year-Old Girl In Lagos (Photo) / Villagers Flee Aluu For Fear Of Arrests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.