Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Why Do You Believe What You Believe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Believe What You Believe? (1728 Views)

You Can Not Believe What I Saw At The Church Today / Survey: Do You Believe In Evolution Or Creationism? Why? / Do You Believe What Will Be Will Be, Do You Believe In Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 01, 2016
let me repeat the very, very SIMPLE question again.

WHY DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU BELIEVE?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Seun(m): 10:09pm On Mar 12, 2017
@wordworld: why don't you get your thread started by telling us what you believe and why you believe it? As for me, I am not a believer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Alphasoar(m): 10:25pm On Mar 12, 2017
Seun:
@wordworld: why don't you get your thread started by telling us what you believe and why you believe it? As for me, I am not a believer.
I don't believe that, even if you are not a christian or muslim, my friend there is something you believe in!
Like peak milk, "Its in You".

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 10:45pm On Mar 12, 2017
Alphasoar:

I don't believe that, even if you are not a christian or muslim, my friend there is something you believe in!
I strongly disagree.

As it concerns religion, a person may not believe in anything.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Alphasoar(m): 10:51pm On Mar 12, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I strongly disagree.
Mr I say impossible. You are deceiving your humble self. Like peak milk, "Its in You".
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 12, 2017
Seun:

EVERYBODY IS A BELIEVER. AN ABSOLUTE TRUISM AT ITS CORE THAT NEEDS NO ARGUEMENT AT ALL.

For someone to say "i am not a believer" is a FALLACY.

Check out this statement: "I don't BELIEVE in the existence of God". Makes nothing but a BELIEVER in the NON-EXISTENCE of God.

It remains an ABSOLUTE TRUISM that everybody is a BELIEVER.

As regards my thread, which you have urged me to kick start myself. I must tell you, that is being very, very thoughtful of you.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I strongly disagree.

A person who may not believe in anything is a BELIEVER in NOTHING. An empty set. I hope you get me. ITS AN ABSOLUTE TRUISM. Everybody is a believer.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 10:58pm On Mar 12, 2017
Alphasoar:

Mr I say impossible. You are deceiving your humble self.
owh...

undecided
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:00pm On Mar 12, 2017
WORDWORLD:

A person who may not believe in anything is a BELIEVER in NOTHING. An empty set. I hope you get me. ITS AN ABSOLUTE TRUISM. Everybody is a believer.
Except when it concerns religious beliefs.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 12, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Except when it concerns religious beliefs.

Even when it comes to religious beliefs.

A Muslim calls himself a BELIEVER.
A Jew does the same. So does a Christian and it goes on and on. So does an Atheist too. I hope you get me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:15pm On Mar 12, 2017
WORDWORLD:

Even when it comes to religious beliefs.

A Muslim calls himself a BELIEVER.
A Jew does the same. So does a Christian and it goes on and on. So does an Atheist too. I hope you get me.

Are you an atheist?

You don't get it if you're not.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:20pm On Mar 12, 2017
WORDWORLD:

So, a believer in nothing is a believer in something?

Funny guys.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 12:28am On Mar 13, 2017
I believe in hard work~ why do I believe? Simple hardwork pays.

I believe in mistakes and failure~ unfortunately, that's how I learn.

I believe in death ~ this one's a no brainer, we've all seen people die so yeah I do believe in it.

Heck I believe in probability~ you know that punnett square/truth table in math and biology (here's what it looks like) I believe in it. Yep, I believe everything has a number of possible outcomes. Mistakes, failure and hardwork helps to narrow my outcomes.

-------
Now you see why I believe in the first three things I mentioned.

Edit: I forgot to add this, I absolutely believe in coincidence. My life, maybe a little of yours revolves around coincidence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by biomustry: 12:32am On Mar 13, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
So, a believer in nothing is a believer in something?

Funny guys.

She believes there is a God
You believe there is no God
It is what it is ...ain't nothing gonna be nothing, no?

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Rosskii: 4:08am On Mar 13, 2017
WHY DO YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU BELIEVE?

BECAUSE THAT WAS WHAT WAS DRUMMED INTO YOUR HEAD AS A CHILD BY AN ABUSIVE WORLD AND ABUSIVE PARENTS.

LESS THAN 5% OF US RE-EXAMINE OR CHANGE THOSE BELIEFS IN OUR ADULT LIVES.

THE ONLY REASON YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN TODAY IS BECAUSE THAT WAS WHAT WAS FORCED DOWN YOUR THROAT AS A CHILD.

ORDINARILY, THE ENTIRE JESUS STORY WOULD COME ACROSS TO YOU AS A LUDICROUS FAIRYTALE.

YOU ONLY THINK IT IS 'TRUE' BECAUSE YOU WERE FORCED TO ACCEPT IS AS A CHILD - WHEN YOU WERE LEAST ABLE TO QUESTION OR RESEARCH ITS AUTHENTICITY.

SAME THINGS APPLIES TO OTHER RELIGIONS.

TRUE MATURITY AND FREEDOM IS DROPPING IT ALL AND THEN RESEARCHING THE TRUTH FOR YOURSELF. WHEREVER THAT LEADS YOU, IS WHERE YOU WERE MEANT TO BE.

YOU'RE NOT HERE TO BE ENSLAVED TO ANOTHER'S BELIEFS, OR TO ANOTHER PERSON'S ''TRUTH''.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Leiman100(m): 6:35am On Mar 13, 2017
Seun:
most of NL members and are either pagans, atheists, agnostics or infidels and when it suite their purpose they crawl back to their Christian shell.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:25am On Mar 13, 2017
Leiman100:
most of NL members and are either pagans, atheists, agnostics or infidels and when it suite their purpose they crawl back to their Christian shell.
You'll be shocked to find out that your Sunday School Teacher is just one of such persons.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 13, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Are you an atheist?

You don't get it if you're not.

Should anyone then BLAME a Christian when he or she says. "Are you a Christian? You dont get it if you're not." To be more emphatic "because you dont have the HOLY SPIRIT".

One thing i have so much learnt about people generally is that we are mostly inclined to DOUBLE STANDARD except a few which is the major reason the world is so MESSED UP.

So one needs to be an atheist before one can understand? Should the yard stick apply to other beliefs? One needs to cross the line before one's cognition can grasp?

What are we mystifying?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Niflheim(m): 10:59am On Mar 13, 2017
@Wordworld,

I believe that it is very wrong for christians to be eating grass like goats!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:00am On Mar 13, 2017
WORDWORLD:

Should anyone then BLAME a Christian when he or she says. "Are you a Christian? You dont get it if you're not." To be more emphatic "because you dont have the HOLY SPIRIT".

One thing i have so much learnt about people generally is that we are mostly inclined to DOUBLE STANDARD except a few which is the major reason the world is so MESSED UP.

So one needs to be an atheist before one can understand. Should the yard stick apply to other beliefs. One needs to cross the line before once cognition can grasp?

What are we mystifying?
For the records, i've been on both sides.

I tried to make u understand but it seems you are so sure. Hence my question.

I asked so I could clarify further, with less argument.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 13, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
For the records, i've been on both sides.

I tried to make u understand but it seems you are so sure. Hence my question.

I asked so I could clarify further, with less argument.

So what does it mean an Atheist?
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2017
Niflheim:
@Wordworld,

I believe that it is very wrong for christians to be eating grass like goats!!!

I hope you have a source to this allegation.And if TRUE, i also believe that NOT ALL Christians eat grass.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:11pm On Mar 13, 2017
WORDWORLD:

So what does it mean an Atheist?
Someone who doesn't subscribe to any of the religious God-claims.

In other words, it is the lack of believe in the existence of God.

It is the opposite of belief in the existence of God.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Someone who doesn't subscribe to any of the religious God-claims.

In other words, it is the lack of believe in the existence of God.

It is the opposite of belief in the existence of God.

In one of Sam Harris' books titled: LETTER TO A CHRISTIAN NATION. He wrote:

"Infact 'ATHEISM' is a term that should not even exist".

Do you know Sam's reasons?

He continues in the same book:

"No one ever needs to identify himself as a 'NON-ASTROLOGER' or 'NON-ALCHEMIST'. We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers"

What Sam is saying is that the word 'ATHEISM' or 'ATHEIST' doesn't add up when you define it as you yourself just did. The word is not EVEN suppose to exist.

My good brother. Do you know that this same word ATHEIST which you have choosen to define in your own words is the same word that was used in calling Christians by ancient Romans for not worshiping their pagan deities?

The word ATHEISM and ATHEIST are words formed from Greek roots and with Greek derivatives. In Greek the say ATHEOS and ATHEOTE, to these the English words 'UNGODLY' and 'UNGODLINESS' correspond rather closely.

Reference: Atheism in Pagan Antiquity by Drachmam A.B .

"UNGODLINESS" and "UNGODLY". Hmm!!!

But today people who were once 'CHRISTIANS' but have migrated are so proud to call themselves the same name 'ATHEIST' which was once branded CHRISTIANS by Romans for not subscribing to their Gods. And not because CHRISTIANS lack believe in God.

The word Atheist as being used today is a corruption of its original past. Your defination is an indoctrination as being what today's world have choosen to program the minds of certain people that, that is the defination.

Do you know that if you were born in the ancient past Roman your defination will differ?

ISN'T THIS PROGRAMMING!? INDOCTRINATION? DO YOU HAVE A WORD IN YOUR NATIVE MOTHER TONGUE THAT EQUATES TO THE WORD 'ATHEIST' AS DEFINED BY YOU?

Please kindly tell us in your mother tongue.

My main reason for opening this thread is that we are mostly very DOGMATIC. Not many of us are conscious about our being systematically programmed to following ideals which we care not to discover by ourselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:10pm On Mar 13, 2017
WORDWORLD:

In one of Sam Harris' books titled: LETTER TO A CHRISTIAN NATION. He wrote:

"Infact 'ATHEISM' is a term that should not even exist".

Do you know Sam's reasons?

He continues in the same book:

"No one ever needs to identify himself as a 'NON-ASTROLOGER' or 'NON-ALCHEMIST'. We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers"

What Sam is saying is that the word 'ATHEISM' or 'ATHEIST' doesn't add up when you define it as you yourself just did. The word is not even suppose to EVEN exist.

My good brother. Do you know that this same word ATHEIST which you have choosen to define in your own words is the same word that was used in calling Christians by ancient Romans for not worshiping their pagan deities?

The word ATHEISM and ATHEIST are words formed from Greek roots and with Greek derivatives. In Greek the say ATHEOS and ATHEOTE, to these the English words 'UNGODLY' and 'UNGODLINESS' correspond rather closely.

Reference: Atheism in Pagan Antiquity by Drachmam A.B .

"UNGODLINESS" and "UNGODLY". Hmm!!!

But today people who were once 'CHRISTIANS' but have migrated are so proud to call themselves the same name 'ATHEIST' which was once branded CHRISTIANS by Romans for not subscribing to their Gods. And not because CHRISTIANS lack believe in God.

The word Atheist as being used today is a corruption of its original past. Your defination is an indoctrination as being what today's world have choosen to program the minds of certain people that, that is the defination.

Do you know that if you were born in the ancient past Roman your defination will differ.

ISN'T THIS PROGRAMMING!? INDOCTRINATION? DO YOU HAVE A WORD IN YOUR NATIVE MOTHER TONGUE THAT EQUATES TO THE WORD 'ATHEIST' AS DEFINED BY YOU?

Please kindly tell us in your mother tongue.

My main reasoning for opening this thread is that we are mostly very DOGMATIC. Not many of us are conscious about our being systematically programmed to following ideals which we care not to discover by ourselves.

well, I'm not one of such persons you stated in your last paragraph.

Unlike what you assume, I didn't choose agnostic-atheism.

On the contrary, majority of those who subscribe to a religious belief haven't re-examined their position. Most were indoctrinated from childhood.

Many choose their religious beliefs whether or not it present verifiable evidences to suggest it's validity.
But atheist are not guilty of following ideals blindly.

As a matter of fact, I'm open to any idea of God if its existence can be proven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Mar 13, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
well, I'm not one of such persons you stated in your last paragraph.

Unlike what you assume, I didn't choose agnostic-atheism.

On the contrary, majority of those who subscribe to a religious belief haven't re-examined their position. Most were indoctrinated from childhood.

Many choose their religious beliefs whether or not it present verifiable evidences to suggest it's validity.
But atheist are not guilty of following ideals blindly.

As a matter of fact, I'm open to any idea of God if its existence can be proven.

You have spoken very well. Am not trying to patronize you by this remarks. And I must say i am grateful for your being very polite and calm.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Seun(m): 7:39am On Mar 14, 2017
What does word world believe? Let's discuss that.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by lfleak: 12:24pm On Mar 15, 2017
Seun:
What does word world believe? Let's discuss that.
You have chosen to be blind to wisdom...get a Quran with english translation, open any page you wish randomly, read any part(translation) all parts of the Quran is filled with Wisdom and Perfection! You will be amazed... According to Allah SWT said: "Know me before you worship me"...

Back to the topic: I believe in Almighty Allah because he is my creator and the creator of all things with PERFECTION!..Like I said, Go through the Quran with translation and be honest with yourself...

Islam has been portrayed by the media and most people is no surprise to me; because its already known: Prophet Muhammed told his sahaabas in one of his Hadith that "Islam started with a very little population and Islam will end with same little population; Blessing unto those who will remain in Islam then"
Also the tafseer of Suratul Asr says same thing...

Goodluck!
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by Leiman100(m): 1:27am On Mar 19, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
You'll be shocked to find out that your Sunday School Teacher is just one of such persons.
an not a Christian therefore dont attend Sunday school
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by orisa37: 7:51am On Mar 19, 2017
He has revealed Himself to me.
Re: Why Do You Believe What You Believe? by firstking01(m): 10:28am On Mar 19, 2017
Seun:
But you "believe" the ALMIGHTY GOD that created you don't " exist" huhsad.

(1) (Reply)

Rccg Sunday School Manual(20/11/2016) / Pope Francis Declares Evolution And Big Bang Theory Are Real / Tithe: Does God Accept A Tithe Paid From A Gambling Profit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.