Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,030 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Why Are Africans Backward? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Africans Backward? (5389 Views)

Why These Attributes In Culture Drives Nigeria Backward / Northern Nigeria Backward And Similar To Afghanistan In Development / Are Africans The First People To Inhabit Britain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Africans Backward? by dyydxx: 4:57pm On Nov 02, 2016
Nihilist:

Slavery is not a new phenomenon and neither is colonisation. If you're a Christian then you probably already know that the entire new testament was written under Roman rule.

To put it in it's proper perspective, during the time the historical Jesus walked the earth some 2000 odd years ago, Judea and Palestine were being governed from the Italian peninsula, and they had no Internet, Post office or telephones.

The Roman control of judea was so absolute that Jesus's parents had to leave their country and run to Egypt to escape when Herod's men were looking for them.

I want you to take a minute to consider the sheer logistics involved in running that kind of government in those days.

The Romans went on to conquer much of Europe, and the Romance languages- French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese etc are evolved from Latin- the language of the Romans.

So much of the European you see today were conquered by the Romans. Their cultures were destroyed by the Romans. Their religions destroyed in favour of the Roman Catholic religion. Yet Europe is better than Africa.

The largest African empire on record was the Songhai empire in the middle ages which at its zenith covered an area of 1 million square feet.

The Romans had managed to rule over 4 million square feet 1000 years before

I don't think you understand just how far behind Europe we were when the slavers came to Africa. Technology wise, we were roughly 1000 years behind. Hydrogen as a molecule was identified by scientists in the 18th century...around the same time in Nigeria, nutters like Usman Dan Fodio were running around killing people in the name of Jihad.

The oldest writing script in West Africa dates back to the 15th century, when the Greeks were writing novels and poetry in 1500bc

The decade when Russia and US were competing to put people on the moon, Nigerians were just hustling independence and dancing around campfires in the bush.

We would never have caught up to Europe if they dint come to Africa, and there are a few reasons why. If you want to giscuss further, lets enter another thread...

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by dyydxx: 5:02pm On Nov 02, 2016
The power thread is up folks. Let's have a field day analyzing why blacks are the way blacks are. My very informed brothers have already put out some thought provoking essays on these matters and we welcome more contributions on this subject.

CC:
Nihilit
MagicMinister
Ramdeuter
Mixty
IpopAlomo
Powered.com
All other informed folks
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by holatin(m): 5:20pm On Nov 02, 2016
Shorthand pls ?
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by DrRiley(m): 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
We from za other thread are here
Magicminister, Nihilist et all Comman kwantiniu
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by ayosmiles(m): 5:29pm On Nov 02, 2016
Africa only has itself to blame for where she is today, but that doesnt mean colonisation, slavery etc didnt contribute to it.

I have done a huge research on this topic with several articles on the internet but i cant give u links yet.

I honestly do not beleive that we wouldnt have civilization without European influence. Hundreds of years before colonialism, we had black kingdoms like meroe and egypt.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by freeman95(m): 5:47pm On Nov 02, 2016
if we say 'backward' .. what do we mean by that?

how did u make the rating?

are we supposed to be like the 'whites?

what makes us think that we are backward?

are we blaming ourselves for not being civilised the 'foreign' way?

technology and science is not even an african thing....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Mixty: 5:48pm On Nov 02, 2016
ayosmiles:
Africa only has itself to blame for where she is today, but that doesnt mean colonisation, slavery etc didnt contribute to it.

I have done a huge research on this topic with several articles on the internet but i cant give u links yet.

I honestly do not beleive that we wouldnt have civilization without European influence. Hundreds of years before colonialism, we had black kingdoms like meroe and egypt.
Of course, we would have civilisation. But our so-called civilisation would be thousands of years behind western civilisation.
If not for colonisation, we wouldn't be where we are today. I will come later to state my reasons.
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Seajae: 5:52pm On Nov 02, 2016
Space Booked!!!
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 02, 2016
Stupidity and hypocrisy is rife on NL...That's enough evidence to point out why Africa is a backwoods.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by ccffwx: 6:07pm On Nov 02, 2016
The West is moving to a time when people will practise nudity and women will be leaders of nations. Check Africa's history before the advent of the white man. We had all of these. So is the West moving forward to what we had? Did we lose out when we began to believe the white man's lies and adopt his ways? Why do they not wear clothes again while we do? Why have they forsaken religion but we practise it? Why are they now empowering women but destroyed the power of matriarchies and African women (please check history, African women were very powerful before the white man came. They didn't really understand this because they practised patriarchy and thus they weakened the power of the African woman because that is how they treat their own women which made their own women fight back through feminism.) Africans were really deceived then but ironically, we see the white man stealing what we once had and even stylishly returning to them under new and special guises. Africa, be wise and arise. Develop a Weltanschaaung that comes from you and not an extension of anybody be it Caucasian, Oriental or what have you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 02, 2016
Funlordjnr:

[s]Our culture is our problem! It is backward, based on fantasy, lacks pragmatism, foresight, mistreat and attempts to silence women and the young and is based on primordial sentiments!
As Walter rodney put it, once the Europeans relegated their culture to the background of how their society functioned, they made great strides!
By the way that foolish prof lipton is here again please kindly get rid of that nitwit or else he would derail this thread also! He has nothing to offer anywhere....[/s]

Guy, respect yourself and stop this na.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by HeWhoMusntBeNamed(m): 8:11pm On Nov 02, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 02, 2016
ProfTea10:

Guy, respect yourself and stop this na.
Why don't you give him a reason to? It's a debate afterall and we are meant to use our viewpoints to counter others'. Striking out his response while giving no counter argument shows a strong lack of negotiation skills.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by iPopAlomo(m): 10:03pm On Nov 02, 2016
Cc: raumdeuter, poweredcom...
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by iPopAlomo(m): 10:17pm On Nov 02, 2016
ayosmiles:

Fact is we wouldn't... we weren't that organised...
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 02, 2016
charix:

Why don't you give him a reason to? It's a debate afterall and we are meant to use our viewpoints to counter others'. Striking out his response while giving no counter argument shows a strong lack of negotiation skills.
The person I quoted understands my post.
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
ProfTea10:

However we don't. It's the reason you were meant to state why so the discussion can flow smoothly.
Any moment now he would respond and ten times out of ten choose to derail the topic at hand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 02, 2016
ProfTea10:

Never mind. Going through your posts shows this is a troll account. The discussion can continue without you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 02, 2016
charix:

Never mind. Going through your posts shows this is a troll account. The discussion can continue without you.
Kindly retract that statement. I don't know you from anywhere and you are totally irrelevant to me. You quoted me first and then insulted me. Who is then the troll between you and me? Please stop quoting me.
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by iPopAlomo(m): 8:24am On Nov 03, 2016
moscobabs:
Just resumed my new office last week o.

My first time of working with White man sa (Lebanese) , The man is free and humble in fact everybody loves him, among other Lebanese my Boss is jovial, free and hardworking man.

He has worked in 5 African countries so he understands Africa and her culture very well.

The real story....

I resumed very early this morning and I decided to wait in front of office before I start today's activities when I saw my boss coming down from his Truck carrying his bag , as a young Yoruba man that comes from good background ..lol So I ran to him and say Good morning sir (bend my head) and I stretch my hand to collect his bag.

The man who has never disrespect me like that before shouted on me!!

Who owns the bag? he asked

repeat!!!! who owns the bag moscobabs?

Me: You sir!!!! I replied..

if it's me "why should u collect it from me?

Me: I just wanted to help u sir.

Y? ..... I couldn't respond .

I say why? ...meet me in office now!!!! he commanded .

We entered his office and he sat me down

moscobabs, You were employed as so so so in this company not to carry bag, the bag belongs to me and I must carry it, also you always bend whenever you greet me...please its not necessary, in fact its not official, I just opportune to be your boss, you are married as I , You are graduate although you are younger than me but you have to attach respect to yourself.

I was like " ki la gbe, ki la ju" but I replied him by saying ....

Sir, I am african we have cultures and Traditions and parts of these is what I did, We respect our elders and seniors that's why we bend or prostrate while greeting and we do help them carry their loads even if we carry ours too.

And he responded with smiles...No problem But when next you greet me in such an embarrassing way or try to collect my bag I won't think twice before I sack you!!!

I beg o Is anything wrong in what I did?

Is there any other reason for his reaction?

The man just dey look me somehow since morning

Culled from FrontPage...

Magicminister no go like this kind thing... and Lebanese aren't white... they are blacks too... another variant sha...
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by joseph1832ng: 8:36am On Nov 03, 2016
Wow!. Believe me when I tell you guys that Africa is backwards because of just one reason, which is of course, bad leaders.

This is the sole reason. I tell you this. The day Africa has good leaders that are accountable and truly have 'vision' that's the day Africa's progress will start and under half a decade, the changes will be there for all to see.

Having visionless bigots as leaders have been and will continue to be Africa's greatest anathema.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by joseph1832ng: 8:44am On Nov 03, 2016
Funlordjnr:

Our culture is our problem! It is backward, based on fantasy, lacks pragmatism, foresight, mistreat and attempts to silence women and the young and is based on primordial sentiments!

As Walter rodney put it, once the Europeans relegated their culture to the background of how their society functioned, they made great strides!

By the way that foolish prof lipton is here again please kindly get rid of that nitwit or else he would derail this thread also! He has nothing to offer anywhere....
Our culture is never the problem. Having the vision to do that which is necessary is.

Culture, religion and tribe play a big role in the everyday life of a typical African. Such things are usually agents of lobotomization.

A mind that is trapped by this agents of backwardness will never be free and see the light.

The Europeans didn't just relegate their culture to the background. They also relegated religion. They separated religion from state.

Why most African countries are backward is because they infuse religion with politics, and both can't go hand in hand.

Like I said above, a mind tamed by religion can and will never see the big picture. All Africa needs is a leader with vision who has shed the skin of religion and tribal bigotry.

Karl Marx wasn't lying when he said "religion is the opiate of the massess".

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 03, 2016
ccffwx:
The West is moving to a time when people will practise nudity and women will be leaders of nations. Check Africa's history before the advent of the white man. We had all of these. So is the West moving forward to what we had? Did we lose out when we began to believe the white man's lies and adopt his ways? Why do they not wear clothes again while we do? Why have they forsaken religion but we practise it? Why are they now empowering women but destroyed the power of matriarchies and African women (please check history, African women were very powerful before the white man came. They didn't really understand this because they practised patriarchy and thus they weakened the power of the African woman because that is how they treat their own women which made their own women fight back through feminism.) Africans were really deceived then but ironically, we see the white man stealing what we once had and even stylishly returning to them under new and special guises. Africa, be wise and arise. Develop a Weltanschaaung that comes from you and not an extension of anybody be it Caucasian, Oriental or what have you.
You are so wrong! Let me enlighten you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Nov 03, 2016
@ccffwx. I am an authority in this field to an extent.
Firstly, most African societies are patriarchal. Women were only to be seen and never be heard.(One of the reasons I can't blame Buhari for his other room comment) well that isa discussion for another day. African societies have always been patriarchal, the few instances women rose to power in African societies was with Queen Amina of Zara etc. African societies never empowered women from the start it was even the White men through the Missionaries that advocated for the education of women.
The White man through the help of Africans and superior weapon plundered African societies. Africans were never deceived in the real sense of the world. The Whites in most places met an already established trade system which facilitated their own motives.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 03, 2016
Now to the topic.
Slave trade itself was already in existence in Africa before the white man came. There was the Trans-Saharan slave trade and internal trade already in place in Africa before the white men came.
The White came to Africa to seek for cheap labor in replacement for the weak Native Americans who were dying in the New World. Thus this marked the beginning of the Trans-atlantic slave trade or Triangular trade. It was actually a Catholic priest priest named Bartholomew De Las Casas who suggested the use of Africans as slave.
During the slave trade, Africans themselves sold their fellow kinsmen into slavery. Some even exchanged other Africans for peices of items such as mirror, gins, etc. Europeans only used force at places where treaties couldn't be signed or negotiations were ineffective and in some rare circumstances some strong African kings resisted them like Jaja of Opobo
Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2016
To say the backwardness of Africa stems from the slave trade and the Europeans would be a biased conclusion.
Although Africa lost its population, resources, Local industries etc which became the background of European technological advancement, these effects were only short term. Since the period of the independence and the end of slave trade. Africans themselves have been the architect of their own misfortunes which would continue forever except we give up religion for logic and develop good governance.
I mean look at Singapore, Malaysia, India,Brazil these were countries who were moving at the pace with African countries at a particular time but now it is different. Black African countries are moving backwards at a fast pace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by ccffwx: 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2016
@Pushas Much of African pre-colonial societies had women in the mould of what Western women are clamouring for today. Many people do not know this because of the distortion of African history by the imperialists who wanted us to remain beneath. Many people think that African history began from slavery and after slavery because that is what the white man put in his school curriculum. Old African societies venerated the woman especially mothers. Women had economic and political freedom; this is no joke. Did you know that for many centuries Ethiopia was ruled by virgin queens one of whom is Queen Sheba of the Bible? Did you know that the Kikuyus women ruled their men before the advent of Mr White man? My dear friend, do you know that up till today there is a tribe in Northern Nigeria, the Wodabes, where women pick husbands and men use makeup and dance for women to marry them? Do you know of Ann Nzingha who led men armies to fight off white slave traders? There are lots of this but I don't want to argue. Just find out your history and not what they want us to know.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 03, 2016
ccffwx:
@Pushas Much of African pre-colonial societies had women in the mould of what Western women are clamouring for today. Many people do not know this because of the distortion of African history by the imperialists who wanted us to remain beneath. Many people think that African history began from slavery and after slavery because that is what the white man put in his school curriculum. Old African societies venerated the woman especially mothers. Women had economic and political freedom; this is no joke. Did you know that for many centuries Ethiopia was ruled by virgin queens one of whom is Queen Sheba of the Bible? Did you know that the Kikuyus women ruled their men before the advent of Mr White man? My dear friend, do you know that up till today there is a tribe in Northern Nigeria, the Wodabes, where women pick husbands and men use makeup and dance for women to marry them? Do you know of Ann Nzingha who led men armies to fight off white slave traders? There are lots of this but I don't want to argue. Just find out your history and not what they want us to know.
You are right but I said most of these instances of Women leading African societies were not so common and popular. I know this sir. African History is actually my field. African societies were more patriarchal than matriarchal.
The Greatest African societies were never ruled by women. The Songhai, Oyo Empire, Benin Kingdom, Sokoto Caliphate, Mali Empire etc. Majorly African societies were and is still patriarchal.
Don't let us derail this thread. Let us stick to the topic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Backward? by ccffwx: 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2016
No problem
Pushas:
You are right but I said most these instances of Women leading African societies were not so common and popular.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Images For Royal Marriage: King Jaja Of Opobo Marries At 74 (photos) / Settlement Of Marine Kingdom / When Jesus Spoke Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.