Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,681 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State (86008 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / Ehinoyi Of Ebira Palace: Okene King's Palace In Kogi State (Pictures) / The Igbo Speaking People Inter Relationship With Esans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by AjaanaOka(m): 3:53pm On Nov 04, 2016
oglalasioux:

In Ishielu LGA alone, you have Ezillo speaking a totally different dialect, Iyonu speaking another dialect. Nkalagu and Umuhali speak another version of the Nkanu dialect while Nkalaha and Obegu speak the Nsukka dialect. That's 4.

Then you have Izzi, Ezza, Ikwo and Ngbo/Izhia making 8 dialects. When you add Afikpo, Ivo and Ohaozara you have total of 11 dialects.

Note that I didn't add the non Igbo speaking parts of the State such as Effium, Ofurekpe, Ntezi, Okpoto and Amuda.

Enugu State has 5 dialects namely Nkanu, Awgu, Udi and Nsukka. Anambra has 3 dialects, Umunze, Onitsha and Aguleri (except the northern Igala speaking communities). Abia has 3, Isukwato, Ngwa and Arochukwu. Imo has 3, Mbaise, Owerri and Okigwe.

So no Igbo state has more dialects than Ebonyi state.

On your stance that Ngbo people are not related to the Idomas you may be right. I base my argument on the sound of their words and similarities in their names such as Agbo and Agala among others.

All the other states have a lot more dialects than you give them credit for.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2016
kogirodent:

Igbos are not far off from Igalas bro. Some of the folks i know as Igalas i will have to admit are not full or real Igalas. We dn't need to look at them twice to know dat dey hail from the Igbo border areas. De only issue is that there are of mixed ancestry so u can't say which tribe dey really are. E.g Ibaji and Odolu Igalas.

In physical looks, you can often see a difference between upland Igalas and southern Igalas. Upland Igalas tend to look different from many southern Igalas who look more like Igbos. Also, the way of life of southern Igalas seem to be similar to Igbo compared to upland Igalas.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by SignalTNA: 3:57pm On Nov 04, 2016
Orikinla:
Do Kogi Igbo girls behave like Igbo girls in the East?

Does your brain go on strike in the afternoon?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2016
Sirlovings:

Must you exhibit your hatred for Igbo people on every comment?

I understand that you are a young person but being young doesn't mean that you should be dumb.

provide the "every comment" you are ranting about?

If anything, I stay clear of tribal e-clashes and banters but Kogi is my state and it seems what the Afonjas are saying about you Igbos are true.

e-diot!

Creation of regions and later states divided many communities which resulted to many igbo communities falling into neighbouring states that are not predominantly Igbo.

After the civil war, it was another way for Nigeria government to ensure that Igbos remain in a United Nigeria.

and shut the F** up and do your research. you're so dumb.

how about you do your research and tell me exactly why there are Igbos communities in Kogi and why are they particularly close to the border of Kogi-Anambra??

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by OmoIgala: 3:59pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Ette as a community speak three different languages. While a large population of Ette people speak Idoma language, others speak Igbo and Igala. This had been the situation right from the old Eastern Region through the defunct East Central State, to old Anambra State; old Enugu State and now the present Enugu State. Christians, who are of the Catholic denomination had also been in the Immaculate Heart Parish, Aji, Enugu–Ezike in the Catholic Archdiocese of Nsukka until it became a full fledged parish – St. James the Apostle Parish, Ette, on September 28,1998.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/34-enugu-schools-shut-for-5-yrs-over-pro-kogi-agitations/

They read this as well.
In the past, our ancestors moved from one place to the other in search of greener pastures
as well as favourable place of settlement. As they move, inter-marry and intermingle with other
ethnic groups, so did their languages. This is precisely the case with Ette people with regard to
their historical background. Ette community is made up of nine clans namely: Ogodo, Emenebe,
Aishi, Ochigide, Onodaba, Achanya, Ebe and Adokpe
(Note than none of these clans are Igbo)

The nine clans constitute two EQUAL and
separate ethnic groups; one half speaks Idoma while the other half speaks Igala.

The percentage of this ethnic identity is confirmed by the result of our questionnaire in order to ascertain the
language that has the highest percentage with regard to ethnic identity and proficiency.
The Ette community speaks Idoma and Igala with an estimated population of about
39000 (1963 population census).
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/mjas/article/viewFile/118497/108028

That is the actual situation of Ette townships. The people are an Igala-Idoma blend exhibiting native bilingualism. And someonly acquired Igbo as an additional third language due to their status as an Enugu community.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 4:00pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

The images I uploaded on the first page says otherwise. From the list you can see various communities in Kogi state with Igbo names such as Umuoye, Umuochina etc. One of the prominent Igbo-speaking communities in Kogi is the Eke Avurugo community where Igbo is spoken as first language and Igala as second language.

In addition to many Igalas speaking Igbo as second language, would it not follow that these/some Igalas in southern Igala land are of Igbo origin and not due to linguistic proximity? The one or two Igala-speaking villages in Igboland are readily assumed to be Igala of origin, however the Igbo-speaking Igalas are not related to Igbo in anyway?? Ibaji Igala, as you probably know, is heavily influenced by the Igbo language. However, it would not be satisfactory enough to assume that the dialect was just influenced by Igbo language without acknowledging some possible Igbo migration in the area, just as some Igalas migrated southwards towards Igboland, in substantial numbers to influence the Ibaji dialect? Even the 'core' Igalas of Idah, Dekina, Ofu etc. often regard Ibaji Igalas as 'omo Igbo' and don't see them as 'core' Igalas.

I never disputed the fact that there are igala communities of Igbo origin in Kogi state, what i said is that the people of those communities now identify as igala ethnically.
Not just Ibaji or Olamaboro communities.
Onicha-Igo is a town in Ofu LGA and the name appears Igbo, there r towns in northern igala land that have igbo names and origins. So it's not just about the names.

But the case of igalas in the SE and SS is different because many of them still identify as Igala ethnically despite the strong igbo political and cultural influence on them.

It's normal, northern igalas have derogatory names for southern igalas and we also have for them too, even the northern igalas themselves have derogatory names for each other.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by giles14(m): 4:02pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Anambra Igbo is not central. I am just hearing this for the first time. I am from Anambra. We speak and maintain our various 'Anambra dialects' which are similar to each other. Onitsha Igbo is easily understandable by most in Anambra and Igboland but it is not central Igbo. Also, observing Onitsha and central Igbo, you would find out both are similar in sentence lexicon but many words in central Igbo come from southern Igboland - Umuahia etc.
well good for u .
try going to other parts of igboland wen u speak anambra dey undastnd but wen dey speak theirs u will b lost.

so now which is central

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2016
ianSweet:

I never disputed the fact that there are igala communities of Igbo origin in Kogi state, what i said is that the people of those communities now identify as igala ethnically.
Onicha-Igo is a town in Ofu LGA and the name appears Igbo, there r towns in northern igala land that have igbo names and origins. So it's not just about the names.

But the case of igalas in the SE and SS is different because many of them still identify as Igala ethnically despite the strong igbo political and cultural influence on them.

It's normal, northern igalas have derogatory names for southern igalas and we also have for them too, even the northern igalas themselves have derogatory names for each other.

I am aware of Onicha-Igo town. Please name a few towns in upland Igala that have Igbo names and origins. I would like to know.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by kindklemz(m): 4:05pm On Nov 04, 2016
Clinton9000:

That's why I have spent my time educating Afonjas of Igbo communities in SS and MB so that when another civil war starts, they don't foolishly run into Igbo communities seeking for help thinking we are online and everything is propaganda and joke. Honestly two sensible yorubas have contacted me privately and thanked because they never thought such large Igbo communities existed in those communities outside SE. But the Afonjas among them will keep living in self denial until war starts...foolishly run into Igbo areas thinking they are not Igbos, that day they will be used for ngwobi and isi ewu.

Civil war, you sounded enlighten until the weed started manifesting in your brain.
In this generation someone is busy clamouring for civil war.igbos I know are not known to scout for war but business.
You can edit and remove that phrase and you would make a great statement.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by OmoIgala: 4:06pm On Nov 04, 2016
ianSweet:

Please, I am just wondering if Akechi for Hausa and Iyaji for Yorubas can be regarded as derogatory?
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 4:08pm On Nov 04, 2016
giles14:
well good for u .
try going to other parts of igboland wen u speak anambra dey undastnd but wen dey speak theirs u will b lost.

so now which is central

To be honest, Onitsha Igbo should have been adopted as central Igbo dialect since it is not too hard for many other Igbos to speak. Notice that in most of our Igbo language movies, Onitsha or a mix of it is what is used to act our movies, except for dialect-specific ones showcasing the beauty of our unique Igbo dialects.

Come to think of it, while we have Ada Mbaise, Ada Mbano, Ada Nsukka, Ada Owerri, Ada Abakaliki etc. which are mostly SE Igbo dialects, Igbo language movie priducers should make movies too in Delta and Rivers Igbo dialects such as Ada Asaba, Ada Etche, Ada Agbor, Ada Ikwerre, Ada Ogwuashi-Ukwu etc.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Afonjas: 4:08pm On Nov 04, 2016
Joavid:

provide the "every comment" you are ranting about?

If anything, I stay clear of tribal e-clashes and banters but Kogi is my state and it seems what the Afonjas are saying about you Igbos are true.

e-diot!

and shut the F** up and do your research. you're so dumb.

how about you do your research and tell me exactly why there are Igbos communities in Kogi and why are they particularly close to the border of Kogi-Anambra??

stop mentioning my name

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 4:08pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Aren't the Idomas in the majority in Ette, followed by Igala? Then Igbo? It seems to me that the Igalas are trying to lay ownership to Ette town as they seem to be doing to other places of recent.

The idomas migrated there. Study idoma history, they left Kwararafa some few centuries ago and came to Igalas and settled close to us, the Tiv migrations further drove them even into most of our lands (according to historians).
So, any community u find where igalas and idomas live closely or together, u just know the idomas came there..

Ette does not share land boundary with any idoma community nor Benue state, but share with igala communities, thats how u know.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Afam4eva(m): 4:09pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Anambra Igbo is not central. I am just hearing this for the first time. I am from Anambra. We speak and maintain our various 'Anambra dialects' which are similar to each other. Onitsha Igbo is easily understandable by most in Anambra and Igboland but it is not central Igbo. Also, observing Onitsha and central Igbo, you would find out both are similar in sentence lexicon but many words in central Igbo come from southern Igboland - Umuahia etc.
I don't know why people tend to mistake the fact that Anambra dialects are probably the most understandable for most Igbos to mean that Anambra dialect is central. Though it may not be uunconnected with the fact that a lot of Igbos find it cool to speak with Onitsha or similar dialects.

No dialect in any part of Igboland can be said to be Igbo Izugbe (If i understand it to mean the same thing as "central Igbo"wink. Though Igbo Izugbo is most related to some dialects than others and one part of Igboland that seems closest to Izugbe is the Isu speaking people who are found mostly in Imo state and other states in Igboland.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by Emeka2007: 4:10pm On Nov 04, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Ohomorihi avohi

so true. I once read a write up of how german words where converted to English by replacing 'f' with 'ph', 'k' with 'c' as in close etc.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 4:11pm On Nov 04, 2016
OmoIgala:

Exactly.
Igga, Ojjor, Ogurugu, Adani are all Original Igala towns that have now been labelled "Igbo" because of silly colonial mistakes.

How do u know it is their native language? They must be fluently billingual. Billinguals at tribal boundary areas usually have the choice to claim whatever ethnicities they wish. I am yet to see any person from southern igala who claims igbo ethnicity even if his or her community is fluent in igbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by OmoIgala: 4:15pm On Nov 04, 2016
ianSweet:

How do u know it is their native language? They must be fluently billingual. Billinguals at tribal boundary areas usually have the choice to claim whatever ethnicities they wish. I am yet to see any person from southern igala who claims igbo ethnicity even if his or her community is fluent in igbo.

Yes, we are saying the same thing. All Southern Igala communities at border areas are Igala no doubt. It is some communities in Northern Igbo that are either not igbo, or not Fully Igbo.
Migration for farming, business etc is another issue entirely.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 4:18pm On Nov 04, 2016
ianSweet:

The idomas migrated there. Study idoma history, they left Kwararafa some few centuries ago and came to Igalas and settled close to us, the Tiv migrations further drove them even into most of our lands (according to historians).
So, any community u find where igalas and idomas live closely or together, u just know the idomas came there..

Ette does not share land boundary with any idoma community nor Benue state, but share with igala communities, thats how u know.

Anyway, lots of migrations occurred in the past. People often ventured out to settle in new areas. The Idomas may have migrated to Ette, so also did the Igalas too...it then becomes a question of who got there first. However, the Idomas have ownership rights to Ette just as the Igbos and Igalas in Ette. I learned that there are 5 communities within Ette. Do you know their names?

By the foregoing, the Igalas may not have much rights to drag the entire Ette into Kogi state being that they are not the majority in Ette. They should understand that Ette has become a trilingual area and thus no one tribe can claim ownership to Ette. The Idomas and Igbos in Ette prefer being in Enugu state, the Igalas are dragging to include it in Kogi out of political reasons, being that some pro-Igala Ette natives joined the army, police or other security agencies or the civil service, under the false claims that they were natives of Kogi State. Some of the people who falsely entered the federal and state civil services of the neighbouring states have now retired and have found out that they can not get political appointments from Kogi State, knowing that they are not from there. They now resorted to engineering problems, claiming that Ette is in Kogi State.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 4:18pm On Nov 04, 2016
Joavid:

good someone understands.

If people from all states bordering Kogi come and settle in Kogi, then Kogi will be the state with highest minority groups.

Not true. Can it ever beat a state like Taraba with about 70 distinct ethnic groups?
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by murphyibiam15(m): 4:18pm On Nov 04, 2016
Lovelynature:
Are you from Ohaozara? Southern part of Ebonyi speak and understand themselves, though with little differences. Same with the northern part; they understand themselves.

The northern and southern parts of the state don't even understand themselves.

I have been to both Ebonyi North and South.
That state is really a great one but bad government and lack of sound education keeps her behind.

Can you imagine that Edda is the first place where oil was first discovered in Nigeria

Am from Edda....as per bad governance Ebonyi is really catching up now..check all the indices from national debates,Igr,federal and state roads...Ebonyi is a new state and is rapidly developing
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 4:19pm On Nov 04, 2016
ianSweet:

Eke Avurugo community in Igalamela/Odolu LGA. They speak Igbo as first language, Igala as second language and claim to be Igbos.

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by murphyibiam15(m): 4:23pm On Nov 04, 2016
Clinton9000:

Yes I agree with you...Anambra Igbo is central. Abia, Imo, Enugu and Ebonyi, Delta and Rivers have many dialects. What's funny is all these many Igbo dialects speakers even those in Delta like Agbor, and Rivers Ikwerre understand Anambra central Igbo well well. That's why most Rivers marry from Anambra...Peter Odili, Ameachi, Hon. Nwuche, Amadi, I mean all of them that I know marry mostly from Anambra. I lived in PH for 5 yrs, 1 out of every 3 married Ikwerres I knew, married from Anambra or Enugu. We all know Anambra and Enugu are one people except the Nnsuka that have Igala mix up and dialect.

Please stop misquoting me and stop ches beating....I never said anambra Igbo is central in essence...I meant they had their own dialect but lost it to central igbo and many still dont care about their dialect in Anambra so far they can speak central igbo.....places like Aguleri, Orumba and awka still maintain their strong dialects and even ihiala.

As per marraige anybody can marry from anywhere he or she so wishes ...there is nothing specaial about it.

Finally Enugu state is Enugu state with Nsukka inclusive....stop attaching to Enugu BC of Enugu city while dissociating Nsukka.....take care

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Please stop misquoting me and stop ches beating....I never said anambra Igbo is central in essence...I meant they had their own dialect but lost it to central igbo and many still dont care about their dialect in Anambra so far they can speak central igbo.....places like Aguleri, Orumba and awka still maintain their strong dialects and even ihiala.

As per marraige anybody can marry from anywhere he or she so wishes ...there is nothing specaial about it.

Finally Enugu state is Enugu state with Nsukka inclusive....stop attaching to Enugu BC of Enugu city while dissociating Nsukka.....take care

bigfrancis21:

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by mabea: 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

How do the Effium, Ntezi, Okpoto etc. peoples communicate with other Igbos in Ebonyi state?
They speak Igbo as second language.

Honestly nairaland has opened my eyes to some things. I know some guys from Ntezi whom I was amazed that no one could understand any bit of what they speak though they bear igbo names like Ekene,Chika etc.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by bigfrancis21: 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2016
ianSweet:

Igga and Ogurugu are mostly Igbo speaking, as confirmed by many, and speak Igbo as first language. Igala is an addition, just as many Nigerians speak Pidgin English in addition to their native languages.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 4:27pm On Nov 04, 2016
Please who are the Southern Igalas? Because I am an igala from Ofu LGA.

ianSweet:

No pls, they speak Igala as a first language and igbo as a second language. Although it varies among some individuals. Some speak igbo more. Some answer igala names, some answer igbo names. I have been to these places. I am from southern igala.
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by RickyTan: 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2016
Afonja FYI

Pmb is from the north north.
Igboland is in Ss/se.
Ph is Igbo. Hence only Igbos, not afonja will be governor there. Asaba is Igbo, but warri and riverine people will get their turn. Still no afonja allowed.

If you afonja like you can move to the north north

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by ianSweet(f): 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2016
petsam11:
Oh Lord! Please, I beg of you anything that will bring all Igbo's from outside the south east (the south south and the North central/middle belt) together as one is what I pray for! #IgboNileBuOtu

Yoruba speakers are also in the middlebelt and south-south. I think people can unite irrespective of geo-political zonning if they really wish to.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by dragonking3: 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2016
So omenka is Igbo? grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by babyfaceafrica: 4:29pm On Nov 04, 2016
Emeka2007:

so true. I once read a write up of how german words where converted to English by replacing 'f' with 'ph', 'k' with 'c' as in close etc.
do u even understand what ii said?
Re: Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State by OmoIgala: 4:32pm On Nov 04, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Anyway, lots of migrations occurred in the past. People often ventured out to settle in new areas. The Idomas may have migrated to Ette, so also did the Igalas too...it then becomes a question of who got there first. However, the Idomas have ownership rights to Ette just as the Igbos and Igalas in Ette. I learned that there are 5 communities within Ette. Do you know their names?

By the foregoing, the Igalas may not have much rights to drag the entire Ette into Kogi state being that they are not the majority in Ette. They should understand that Ette has become a trilingual area and thus no one tribe can claim ownership to Ette. The Idomas and Igbos in Ette prefer being in Enugu state, the Igalas are dragging to include it in Kogi out of political reasons, being that some pro-Igala Ette natives joined the army, police or other security agencies or the civil service, under the false claims that they were natives of Kogi State. Some of the people who falsely entered the federal and state civil services of the neighbouring states have now retired and have found out that they can not get political appointments from Kogi State, knowing that they are not from there. They now resorted to engineering problems, claiming that Ette is in Kogi State.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but Igbos have no right to Ette community, since it isn't Igboland.
In the latest ethnographic survey of Ette Area, only 5.7% of interviewed residents said they spoke Igbo regularly or took ethic pride in being igbo.
Ette isn't an equally tri linguistic area like u are trying to pant it, Igbos are a minority there.
Ettte is better off in Kogi state. There are already areas in Kogi with the same Igala-Idoma mix, and nobody is complaining.

But in the present Ette in Enugu state structure, katakata everywhere, because it isn't natural.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories. / Okrika Iria Ceremony For Virgins Commences (Photos) / Geles: A Nigerian Woman's Must Have. The History Behind Geles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.