Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? (8934 Views)

Difference Between Double Cell Radiator And Single Cell Radiator / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by thaqib(m): 1:54pm On Nov 03, 2016
I recently changed my radiator to double cell after the single cell got bad. It's a camry 2000 . Have since noticed I pay more visits to the petrol station. D mechanic, I think also connected D ignition to D fan directly, so my fan comes on immediately I ignite now. Now which is causing increased fuel consumption, the double cell or D new connection. Abeg, fuel na, 145 naira o...

2 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by nextprince: 2:30pm On Nov 03, 2016
thaqib:
I recently changed my radiator to double cell after the single cell got bad. It's a camry 2000 . Have since noticed I pay more visits to the petrol station. D mechanic, I think also connected D ignition to D fan directly, so my fan comes on immediately I ignite now. Now which is causing increased fuel consumption, the double cell or D new connection. Abeg, fuel na, 145 naira o...
Bro I don't think so. D engine no dey power radiator na.

1 Like

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by inze(m): 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2016
nextprince:

. . . quite on the contrary.
An engine ought to reach its peak operating temperature before the fan kicks in.

2 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by nextprince: 3:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
inze:

. . . quite on the contrary.
An engine ought to reach its peak operating temperature before the fan kicks in.

Na thermostat dey do dat one na. D thermostat dey tell fan say engine don ovehot. How much power d thermostat need to do dis one. Except if u dey talk about d power wey fan need and dat one too na battery dey supply d power and na alternator dey charge d battery. D alternator too dey get im power if engine dey rotate. Finish

6 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by inze(m): 4:07pm On Nov 03, 2016
nextprince:

Na thermostat dey do dat one na. D thermostat dey tell fan say engine don ovehot. How much power d thermostat need to do dis one. Except if u dey talk about d power wey fan need and dat one too na battery dey supply d power and na alternator dey charge d battery. D alternator too dey get im power if engine dey rotate. Finish

. . . going by the details he provided, isn't it obvious the mechanic bypassed the thermostat by connecting fan directly?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by AnusOdourInhaler: 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2016
Both may be the cause!
The double cell radiator will not allow the engine to reach optimal temperature and the constant running fan will help cool the engine even more

3 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by honmusa(m): 4:57pm On Nov 03, 2016
thaqib:
There is a concept in fuel management system termed closed loop and it is at this condition that your car operate at optimum temperature and most efficient efficient fuel consumption at the lowest emission .This condition is entirely dependent on temperature and presence of O2 sensor. With your thermostat removed ,fan running direct and using double cell radiator ,your car is far away from close loop and this will result to serious fuel consumption and poor lubrication of moving Part.I will advice you revert everything to default condition asap before youstart having a smoking engine issue as well.

1 Like

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by honmusa(m): 4:59pm On Nov 03, 2016
thaqib:
There is a concept in fuel management system termed closed loop and it is at this condition that your car operate at optimum temperature and most efficient efficient fuel consumption at the lowest emission with good lubrication of engine parts .This condition is entirely dependent on temperature and presence of O2 sensor. With your thermostat removed ,fan running direct and using double cell radiator ,your car is far away from close loop and this will result to serious fuel consumption and poor lubrication of moving Part.I will advice you revert everything to default condition asap before you start having a smoking engine issue as well.

2 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by nextprince: 5:24pm On Nov 03, 2016
inze:

. . . going by the details he provided, isn't it obvious the mechanic bypassed the thermostat by connecting fan directly?

But na wetin u talk i respond to na

"an engine ought to reach its peak operating temperature before the fan kicks in".

If d mechanic bypass d thermostat, na wen d engine start d fan go start too na.

Anyway from wetin ah dey see other people dey post, e be like say u sabi am pass me sha. But u no explain wella 4 me to understand na. U just put am 4 summary, how ah want take understand wetin u dey explain. I for still dey argue if no b say other peeps don explain ya point. U sabi am but u no b good teacher.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by ogawisdom(m): 5:53pm On Nov 03, 2016
thaqib:

I pity ur engine BC it will be running cold all d time causing increased fuel consumption. Yes both the steady fan and d double cell radiator is over cooling ur engine, am sure d thermostat is gone too. Ur temp gauge may never reach half way mark even if u cover 500km daily cry cry

7 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by thaqib(m): 6:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
The thermostat has long been removed, but then the temp gauge usually gets to the middle. Now it is almost permanently down or just rises a little , doesn't matter whether I am driving for 10hrs.
Learnt, there are no single cell radiator in D market, but meanwhile I ll ask him to disconnect the ignition to D fan ..

2 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by chillex8(m): 10:51pm On Nov 03, 2016
thaqib:
The thermostat has long been removed, but then the temp gauge usually gets to the middle. Now it is almost permanently down or just rises a little , doesn't matter whether I am driving for 10hrs.
Learnt, there are no single cell radiator in D market, but meanwhile I ll ask him to disconnect the ignition to D fan ..

There are single cell radiators....
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:45am On Nov 04, 2016
thaqib:

your car is running cold hence its drinking fuel like crazy

the ECU is getting the reading that the engine temperature is cold so it increase the fuel ratio for the engine get to the operating temperature, your car will never reach it becoz most likely the fool that connected your fan direct mostl chances he took out the thermostat

have you ever started a car in the morning lets say 5am?, if you notice for 2 minutes or so the idle revs are too high, then it settles, is same reason the ECU has been feed the reading that the engine temperature is very low so the revs its self to quickly reach operating temperature which is fuel efficient

10 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by Namzy(m): 10:39pm On Nov 04, 2016
The bulk of the problem lies with removal of thermostat. Because if the thermostat is involved the engine will reach optimum temperature at same time regardless of double cell or constant running fan. Double cell or constant running fan disadvantages will include shortening life span of fan and strain on battery which might lead to a lil above normal fuel consumption. But the problems lies with the thermostat removal shikena. Because thermostat will open when the optimum temperature has been reached allowing cool water to flow and close if temperature becomes too cool regardless of fan constantly on or double cell radio toe which will have their own wahala but engine running rich is not one of them. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by princemillla(m): 11:00am On Nov 05, 2016
nextprince:

But the fan recieves current that will have effect on the alternator right... The more the load on alternator the more engine require fuel.

Novince POV
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by phonneh: 8:22am On Nov 06, 2016
Changing from single cell to double cell is okay as long as the double cell radiator has a thermostat just as the single cell has. This thermostat makes your radiator fan to stay off thus enabling the engine to reach its optimal operation temperature. Mind you before it reaches this temperature the ecu is going to send lots of fuel into your cylinders with the aim if quickly warming up. Once this optimal operating temperature is attained the fuel consumption drops and once in a while your radiator fan kicks in to cool the engine. So if you change your radiator ensure the wires that need to be connected to your radiator thermostat are connected.

I drive a 2000 Toyota camry with excellent fuel consumption.

5 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by nomadfx: 8:54am On Nov 24, 2021
Wow nice thread, so what is the conclusion.

My radiator is smoking unless I have the ac on.
I think it's because I miss water in my 50/50 pink coolant

So I need to change my radiator now will it be nice to change to 2 cell still and never let them touch the thermostat OR still just buy my one cell because of fuel ?

Thanks in advance

Toyota Camry 2006
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by Itulah(m): 11:02am On Nov 24, 2021
It is obvious your car has no thermostat, go, buy and return a working thermostat on your engine, you will see the different.

The importance of an automotive thermostat in a car’s cooling system:
When you drive a vehicle, it is important to know some of its basic parts, such as the thermostat and how it works.

The engine temperature is controlled by means of cooling liquid and a thermostat. It is one of the key components for the optimum operating temperature for an engine. The thermostat of an engine is a simple mechanism, but very practical as well as useful and necessary. This part of the vehicle fulfills the function of regulating the temperature of the engine and, through its radiator, controls the overheating of the engine, that is, it is used to cool and warm the car engine.

It is a valve with a spring that is responsible for regulating the amount of coolant that passes from the engine block to the cooling radiator of the same, to ensure that the engine works properly.

This has two positions, closed and open. When closed, the flow of coolant is prevented, causing the engine to rise in temperature.

On the contrary, when it is open, the coolant can flow to the radiator, where the heat is dissipated and the coolant itself cools. This component can be seen as a gate that allows or prevents the flow of coolant from the engine to the radiator.

During normal use, the thermostat is never in the fully closed or fully open position, as it depends on the condition of the engine and gradually nears either state to control coolant flow. In turn, the water pump pushes lower-temperature coolant from the radiator into the engine.

3 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by SONDACURRENCY(m): 10:01am On Feb 14, 2023
AnusOdourInhaler:
Both may be the cause!
The double cell radiator will not allow the engine to reach optimal temperature and the constant running fan will help cool the engine even more

Exactly , a lot of people don’t know the major work of the engine cooling system of a car engine and other engine but let’s focus the cooling system on the car engine . Let’s start from your car thermostat function and it’s relationship with the radiator and the team work they are both doing for your engine . In a sim play layman understanding; you start your car , your water pumps start working as the engine is working because the your engine belt runs through it also , now it passing the water in and out of the engine and through the thermostat in your engine , so your radiator absorbs the engine heat , retains it to help your car gets to its peak performance, ( every car need to be heated up to a certain level ) so when the heat is getting above recommended heat for the engine , the heat pressure pushes and compresses the thermostat which automatically triggers your fan to work , so now the thermostat gets back to it position the moment the heat is reduced and the fan stops working . Now it’s keeps your engine are a particular heat level , not to go too high or too low.
Back to the reason your car consumes more fuel after listening to your road side mechanic who will have told you that 9ija is too hot and where the car is coming from is too cold so you don’t need the thermostat, or else your car will keep overheating lolz , fiam them don remove am and by pass your fan relay , INFACT that is the beginning of your car problem but you might not notice immediately.
Yes when your car runs on below recommend temperature for your engine , it’s takes more fuel , my next post I will show you exactly how but let me focus on the one you will understand faster, I saw lots of post saying alternator charges the battery while fan get power from battery there for it has nothing to do with fuel lolz , INFACT is has everything to do with fuel , “have you had of battery over charging before “. What you are doing is making the alternator over work ,most times when your battery is fully charged your alternator stops charging it but you will never notice that because it’s does not work like your AC compressor that you see the physical cutting of power , that is the reason your battery don’t get overcharged and the moment your battery start over charging, that mean something is wrong with your alternator, in conclusion, you are making your alternator work too much by always charging the battery since the fan is always on there by take more tole on engine .
There is another major important of thermostat a lot of people don’t know , immagine you driving on a raining day through flooded str , if your thermostat is working , the minute you enter flood , the engine temperature drops immediately and the fan will never pick Exept your AC is on ( why it’s always advisable to off your AC while driving through flood ) but what do you think happens when you connect your fan directly, it’s means your fan keep running inside flood and in most cases destroys the blades and in a long run the fan engine . Am a professional online mechanic, ask me any questions about car mechanical aspects.

5 Likes

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by Laxomurfy(m): 11:48am On Mar 12, 2023
Apt!
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by vivalavida(m): 6:34pm On Mar 12, 2023
SONDACURRENCY:

Exactly , a lot of people don’t know the major work of the engine cooling system of a car engine and other engine but let’s focus the cooling system on the car engine . Let’s start from your car thermostat function and it’s relationship with the radiator and the team work they are both doing for your engine . In a sim play layman understanding; you start your car , your water pumps start working as the engine is working because the your engine belt runs through it also , now it passing the water in and out of the engine and through the thermostat in your engine , so your radiator absorbs the engine heat , retains it to help your car gets to its peak performance, ( every car need to be heated up to a certain level ) so when the heat is getting above recommended heat for the engine , the heat pressure pushes and compresses the thermostat which automatically triggers your fan to work , so now the thermostat gets back to it position the moment the heat is reduced and the fan stops working . Now it’s keeps your engine are a particular heat level , not to go too high or too low.
Back to the reason your car consumes more fuel after listening to your road side mechanic who will have told you that 9ija is too hot and where the car is coming from is too cold so you don’t need the thermostat, or else your car will keep overheating lolz , fiam them don remove am and by pass your fan relay , INFACT that is the beginning of your car problem but you might not notice immediately.
Yes when your car runs on below recommend temperature for your engine , it’s takes more fuel , my next post I will show you exactly how but let me focus on the one you will understand faster, I saw lots of post saying alternator charges the battery while fan get power from battery there for it has nothing to do with fuel lolz , INFACT is has everything to do with fuel , “have you had of battery over charging before “. What you are doing is making the alternator over work ,most times when your battery is fully charged your alternator stops charging it but you will never notice that because it’s does not work like your AC compressor that you see the physical cutting of power , that is the reason your battery don’t get overcharged and the moment your battery start over charging, that mean something is wrong with your alternator, in conclusion, you are making your alternator work too much by always charging the battery since the fan is always on there by take more tole on engine .
There is another major important of thermostat a lot of people don’t know , immagine you driving on a raining day through flooded str , if your thermostat is working , the minute you enter flood , the engine temperature drops immediately and the fan will never pick Exept your AC is on ( why it’s always advisable to off your AC while driving through flood ) but what do you think happens when you connect your fan directly, it’s means your fan keep running inside flood and in most cases destroys the blades and in a long run the fan engine . Am a professional online mechanic, ask me any questions about car mechanical aspects.

Learnt a lot from this.

1 Like

Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by Ammc(m): 5:22am On Apr 23, 2023
SONDACURRENCY:

Thanks for your response Boss. My question is based on the radiator, is it advisable to change from single cell radiator to double cell radiator?
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by thowbie7ven(m): 10:10am On Jun 18, 2023
SONDACURRENCY:

please how can i get your contact? I need to talk to you pls....I'm in a dilemma about my car
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by Angrygoat: 1:07pm On Jun 18, 2023
What could tools fuel I. Cars are three things..working maf sensor,catalyst,be it china or Korea all na still Asia then lastly pre 02 sensor and02 sensor. 02 sensor side of engine ,exhaust,passenger side and pre 02 sensor after catalyst driver side.if those 3 are not working well,forget u go buy fuel pass corolla. Lastly most cars fans are corrected directly.so additional work of ecu on fuel like 3 %. Constant AC manual or auto ..10%....so in total engine load like 40perce t for day and 60% for nite..with headlights on,radio AC. If your maf and 02 sensors are bad. Just rest. No catalyst. Oh bobs. E don be.
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by profhenrii(m): 9:14am On Jan 05
Please chat me up on whatsapp 07033239110. I Need your advice
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by profhenrii(m): 9:18am On Jan 05
[right][/right][color=#000099][/color]
SONDACURRENCY:

Please chat me up on whatsapp 07033239110. I need advice on a subject.
Re: Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? by senator2k9(m): 8:00pm On Jan 07
Are u experiencing any difficulty with your car.?ranging from Engine, transmission, electrical, cooling system, fuel consumption or suspension problems, kindly follow our page and ask any questions. You will get a professional response and recommendation promptly.

https://www.instagram.com/autos_inspector_general_abuja?igsh=MTd6a2VlbW12cG5jMA%3D%3D&utm_source=qr

Facebook :
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090433257112&mibextid=ZbWKwL

WhatsApp channel : https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaIyAiWGU3BLv5mPVp1z

08034059397 (whatsapp only)

(1) (Reply)

Info Needed About Toyota Carina 2 / CAR Service Manual / How Can One Know When The Leg Of Honda Car Is About To Pull Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.