Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,383 members, 7,836,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career (8177 Views)

Is Computer Science Degree Still Relevant??? / Is Nuclear Pysics Still Relevant In Nigeria? / National Trade Test Certificate - How Relevant It Is? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by viktohmarkz(m): 8:05am On Nov 04, 2016
that's what I ask myself whenever my shorthand lecturer comes to my department.

its stupid cause I dunno were am gonna use it in the office.

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Tedassie(m): 8:06am On Nov 04, 2016
JuanDeDios:

It's actually easy once you pay attention at the beginning and figure out the basic concepts. I was some sort of whizkid in it back in the day.
Guy,i like ur 'washing machine' grin
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by skubido(m): 9:12am On Nov 04, 2016
arvinsloane:
Who short hand Don epp?
if u belong u go no maybe e help or not. kudos 2d secretary in d aoz.

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 04, 2016
I dey my year 3 for university, the course almost killed me in 200level , ori lo yo mi
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by 3sexy: 10:27am On Nov 04, 2016
I'm good in shorthand , I only took the course serious not because I loved it , but because I didn't want to have it as a carryover .
I can do 250 words p/m but it's totally useless to me right now!
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by JuanDeDios: 11:09am On Nov 04, 2016
Tedassie:

Guy,i like ur 'washing machine' grin
I'm not sure what you mean, sir.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by dfrost: 11:35am On Nov 04, 2016
eph12:

Why struggle to write 100 words in a minute when you can just record the audio with your mobile phone? Even in meetings, secretaries don't write minutes but record with their phones so they can prepare the minute later. This is more efficient

You spoke words of truth. I agree with you albeit, have you ever been in a situation and our so-much hyped devices fail us?

I can never replace one method with another completely rather I'll work with the two.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:05pm On Nov 04, 2016
ngoben:
Hated dat subject soo much in second school days

High five to you sister!

I hated that topic during Business studies class.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by itzMizELo(f): 1:52pm On Nov 04, 2016
Shorthand is practically useless. Even lecturers do not know it. I remember one of my lecturers, he used to tell us that God will punish Pittman even in his grave because of the stress he put us through.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by mayowa1111: 2:34pm On Nov 04, 2016
i hate dat course in my NCE days na E all d tym
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by eph12(m): 3:07pm On Nov 04, 2016
dfrost:

You spoke words of truth. I agree with you albeit, have you ever been in a situation and our so-much hyped devices fail us?

I can never replace one method with another completely rather I'll work with the two.
You can always borrow from a colleague if your phone fails you.

If we don't accept that the world is changed and there are better ways to life then we get stucked in the past while our colleagues in other countries leave us behind. If we're looking for what to teach young ones in colleges and universities there are lots of areas of interest that will benefit them more and make them market ready.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by aalangel(f): 3:52pm On Nov 04, 2016
dfrost:
Yes, still relevant. If you know what it means to write 100 words in a minute, then you'll appreciate shorthand.

Ask a journalist.

I'm a Journalist. What's short-hand for when I have mini gadgets to record and transcribe??
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by dfrost: 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2016
aalangel:

I'm a Journalist. What's short-hand for when I have mini gadgets to record and transcribe??

If your mini gadgets works for you, that's fine. But let me ask you a question: you are invited to report a case and the judge presiding bars journalists from using recording devices, what will you do?
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by deborsky(m): 7:08pm On Nov 04, 2016
dfrost:

If your mini gadgets works for you, that's fine. But let me ask you a question: you are invited to report a case and the judge presiding bars journalists from using recording devices, what will you do?
Nice one, d truth is Shorthand is still very relevant. Gadget can fail(spoilt,stolen, barred etc) u , but shorthand cannot. Not every one understand shorthand, so it can be used for keeping secret, whatever u keep in ur gadget is understandable by all if its unlocked by u. Not to mention challenges like our epileptic power supply, need to be updating ur device, d high cost of obtaining these gadgets, ...etc. While gadgets are good, but in Nigeria, we are not there yet, u need a back up option like Shorthand writing.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by aalangel(f): 2:13pm On Nov 05, 2016
dfrost:

My dear, that has not happened to me in court cases. There are certain people always allowed in court. When I covered that Access Bank/ Intercontinental guy's case, fellow journalists collected stuff from me. We don't hoard information from colleagues. So in a case like that, if someone was allowed in, collect a report from the person. If no recording device was allowed, that's a report by itself, or better still, wait and interview the lawyers. Someone must talk. The most important thing is to get information of what went down, footage or no footage.

However, if I'm invited like you quoted up there, why won't you want me to take proceedings?

Moreover, an intelligent Journalist can follow proceedings without writing a lot. You still have your interviews to do. Trust lawyers, they like talking to us.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by domack99(m): 6:37pm On Nov 05, 2016
Shorthand is totally unnecessary in the world of today

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question: Roles Of An Bank Office Admin Staff / How Was The First Day Of Your Job? / Factory Worker Or Dispatch Rider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.