Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career (8154 Views)

Is Computer Science Degree Still Relevant??? / Is Nuclear Pysics Still Relevant In Nigeria? / National Trade Test Certificate - How Relevant It Is? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by domack99(m): 5:28pm On Nov 03, 2016
I was researching on programs for secretariat studies when I bumped into Nigeria Institute of professional secretary (NIPS) and women secretary of Nigeria (CIWSON).
Going through their syllabus and the shorthand course caught my attention and I kind of wonder if shorthand is still relevant with all the model way of taking note including voice recording.

Is it that our institution are still behind or is shorthand still relevant in this modern world.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by dfrost: 6:45am On Nov 04, 2016
Yes, still relevant. If you know what it means to write 100 words in a minute, then you'll appreciate shorthand.

Ask a journalist.

8 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Adiwana: 6:45am On Nov 04, 2016
domack99:
I was researching on programs for secretariat studies when I bumped into Nigeria Institute of professional secretary (NIPS) and women secretary of Nigeria (CIWSON).
Going through their syllabus and the shorthand course caught my attention and I kind of wonder if shorthand is still relevant with all the model way of taking note including voice recording.

Is it that our institution are still behind or is shorthand still relevant in this modern world.
The Guy above sha.Na 5G network u dey use?

2 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by veekid(m): 6:46am On Nov 04, 2016
Here to read comments

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by lifestyle1(m): 6:46am On Nov 04, 2016
a method of rapid writing by means of abbreviations and symbols, used especially for taking dictation. The major systems of shorthand currently in use are those devised in 1837 by Sir Isaac Pitman and (in the US) in 1888 by John R. Gregg (1867–1948).

I saw the app on play store.

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Gidoka(m): 6:46am On Nov 04, 2016
any modern typewriter/keyboard with short hand app?
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Fantastic2m(m): 6:47am On Nov 04, 2016
I can never understand this society
undecided
In 2 Pac's voice.

5 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by ngoben(f): 6:47am On Nov 04, 2016
Hated dat subject soo much in second school days

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Acidosis(m): 6:48am On Nov 04, 2016
No!
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by arvinsloane(m): 6:48am On Nov 04, 2016
Who short hand Don epp?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Nobody: 6:48am On Nov 04, 2016
It's as irrelevant as Buhari.

10 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by devlishGINGER(m): 6:49am On Nov 04, 2016
Way back in secondary school that subject would boost Your intelligence cheesy or the woman would report you to the Principal grin you know the rest.
I wish i knew the subject
was meant for secretaries undecided undecided
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by mrmy42(m): 6:51am On Nov 04, 2016
Secretary abi secretariat? grin I don't know anything again

3 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by dfrost: 6:52am On Nov 04, 2016
Adiwana:

The Guy above sha.Na 5G network u dey use?

cheesy 5G no dey naija bros.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by lonelydora: 6:54am On Nov 04, 2016
Yes, it is still useful. Ask Journalists, Presidential secretaries, etc. Do you know what taking notes of 100 words per minutes is?
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by fflamingo(m): 6:54am On Nov 04, 2016
The usage of shorthand should have gone into extinction but for some reason Nigeria syllabus still appreciate the mechanism in the era of improvised IT.
you have apps dictator, speech translator

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by martineverest(m): 6:54am On Nov 04, 2016
shorthand still dey exist?

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Mujaheeeden: 6:58am On Nov 04, 2016
It's no longer relevant because with your phone recorder youcan record every minutes of a mmeeting

2 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by sakalisis(m): 7:00am On Nov 04, 2016
Shorthand....lmao...
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by onyeawka80(m): 7:03am On Nov 04, 2016
It shuld scrapped completely. One ghanian lecturer use dat course finish girls for my HND days.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by eph12(m): 7:08am On Nov 04, 2016
dfrost:
Yes, still relevant. If you know what it means to write 100 words in a minute, then you'll appreciate shorthand.

Ask a journalist.
lonelydora:
Yes, it is still useful. Ask Journalists, Presidential secretaries, etc. Do you know what taking notes of 100 words per minutes is?
Why struggle to write 100 words in a minute when you can just record the audio with your mobile phone? Even in meetings, secretaries don't write minutes but record with their phones so they can prepare the minute later. This is more efficient

6 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by seunlayi(m): 7:12am On Nov 04, 2016
Shorthand is good but with modern tech, it is becoming useless.
This made me to remember my nick in the secondary school = shorthand

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Frabjous(m): 7:14am On Nov 04, 2016
seunlayi:
Shorthand is good but with modern tech, it is becoming useless.

This made me to remember my nick in the secondary school = shorthand
You are right.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by ncdegreat: 7:16am On Nov 04, 2016
the course is very funny. that's one of my course this semester.the lecturer taken it is even a proff in shorthand, is this same question we asked him the other day. he said shorthand can help you in your pronunciation since it the representation of spoken sound with signs,symbols and strokes

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Nobody: 7:16am On Nov 04, 2016
LOL. Secretaries are a dying breed in most corporates. There are absolutely none in my company - and its a billion dollar firm. Likewise at one of the top banks I used to work at, Only the GMD had one - and even then, the dude did not know short-hand.

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Opistorincos(m): 7:26am On Nov 04, 2016
grin
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by JuanDeDios: 7:27am On Nov 04, 2016
ngoben:
Hated dat subject soo much in second school days
It's actually easy once you pay attention at the beginning and figure out the basic concepts. I was some sort of whizkid in it back in the day.

1 Like

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by takenadoh: 7:27am On Nov 04, 2016
if you know it, then good for u.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by JuanDeDios: 7:29am On Nov 04, 2016
Bagehot:
LOL. Secretaries are a dying breed in most corporates. There are absolutely none in my company - and its a billion dollar firm. Likewise at one of the top banks I used to work at, Only the GMD had one - and even then, the dude did not know short-hand.
You're right. Everyone does their own secretary things nowadays, especially in the West. We still have a lot of big men in Nigeria who retain secretaries, but if you were trained as a secretary it's time to start acquiring some other skill or profession.
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Twallace: 7:31am On Nov 04, 2016
Who needs old shorthand when we have invented new ones like:
u
lol
lmao
BRB
k
kk
TGIF
OMG
UWC
PMB
GEJ

4 Likes

Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by FakeNEWSevryday: 7:42am On Nov 04, 2016
Gone 4 ever
Re: Shorthand Still Relevant Or Not In Secretariat Career by Phrankin(m): 7:58am On Nov 04, 2016
It's no longer relevant

(1) (2) (Reply)

Requesting For Redeployment From HR / Don’t Release Our Pay To LG Bosses; They’ll Spend It On Girlfriends – Ebonyi NUT / How Was The First Day Of Your Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.