Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Has Best Mate Scammed Me? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Has Best Mate Scammed Me? (1246 Views)

Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? / Which Bank Has Best Online Service In Nigeria Plus Open Gtbank Acct On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by Eclairs: 3:34pm On Oct 29, 2009
Hi everyone,

In brief, my mate called me recently thanking me for giving him some money through my aunt in Nigeria, I was surprised but simply played along. I called my aunt almost immediately and before I could say a word, she told me she saw my text message and have given the money to my mate. Now the truth is I didn't send any text message. I called my aunt to tell me the number she received the text message from and was surprised to find out that it was my number, I live in England and my aunt and mate live in Nigeria, I have on one occassion asked my aunt to give my mate money on my behalf and so its easy to see why she wouldn't hesistate to give him money if a text message believed to be from me asks her to.

I am at the moment playing along acting like I sent the text, both to my mate and to my aunt, yet, I know of a fact that something is wrong somewhere especially as the number is question is my number, and this is what makes it intriguing.

I have explored all the possibilities which I am happy to share but would like to know if anyone is thinking what I am thinking. I've known this mate for over 10yrs and whilst accepting that he's been cool all along, the fact that he is the only beneficiary from the whole incident (as far as I am aware) questions his integrity.

also to mention that my aunt would only be doing me a favor by giving my mate the money, which suggests that she wouldn't expect I would pay her back,

Honestly, I am pussled, really pussled, really really pussled,

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by jaybee3(m): 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2009
What if they registered your number online with one of those free sms website then subsequently sent text msgs to your unsuspecting family members.
Whatever be the case, the person that did it must have an insider knowledge in terms of your number.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by justwise(m): 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2009
This happened to my aunt last July, she received a txt from her husband asking for money, her husband is in Nigeria while she is in asia, then my aunt quickly called the husband only to be told that he did not send the txt.

I think i have to go with jay bee's view, the person has an inside knowledge and the use of online free sms services.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 29, 2009
jay bee:

What if they registered your number online with one of those free sms website then subsequently sent text msgs to your unsuspecting family members.
Whatever be the case, the person that did it must have an insider knowledge in terms of your number.

you need to confirm your number on those sites before they send.most probably the poster has those online sms thing and his mate knew his logon details
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by mrperfect(m): 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2009
He knows you are bigger than that Money.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 29, 2009
mrperfect:

He knows you are bigger than that Money.

still,no excuse for scamming tongue
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by Eclairs: 1:12am On Oct 30, 2009
MrPrsdent:

you need to confirm your number on those sites before they send.most probably the poster has those online sms thing and his mate knew his logon details

I do not have an online sms account, did think of the online sms and thought of it as the one and only possibility but with your assertion, it's makes the whole incident more difficult to unravel, surely there must be websites that doesnt ask for a confirmation, I didnt receive any confirmation request, thats for sure.

someone mentioned that for text sent via internet, there's usually a website underneath, not sure how true this is, but think this might help

I am stil playing along and I'm reluctant to call my aunt at the moment to ask for more info about the text.
MrPrsdent:

still,no excuse for scamming tongue

I agree with you, big time, it does appear everyone thinks my mate is definitely pulled a stunt,, I can confirm once again that the text message in question wasnt sent by me,
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by iyeayo(f): 2:30pm On Oct 30, 2009
I really pity you. I am not so sure you should be playing along, for how long do you want to play along with a situation that makes you a victim. If the 'scammer' sees that he got away this time, he is going to do it again. At this stage, try and tell your Aunty not to honour text messages instructing payouts anymore unless you call her to confirm it. This is just my opinion, its all up to you.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by FunmyKemmy(f): 4:40pm On Oct 30, 2009
Follow iyeayo's advice.

Try to tell your Aunty the truth and warn her or anybody you think the fraudster may try to fool at any time.

Your Aunty or any member of your family should confirm from you first before they give out anything to anybody on your behalf.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by iyeayo(f): 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2009
@poster

what did you end up doing, have you been able to inform your Aunt. You will be surprised to learn that a similar issue has just been raised in Australia about an internet site where you can actually send messages to someone from another persons phone without both of them suspecting anything. This may provide some answers to your concerns. To cut the long story short, visit the "Adelaide Current Affairs (ACA)" website on this link. http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/   , click on "Fake Text Trap" and then click on the "SMS horror" link.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by Eclairs: 5:59am On Nov 05, 2009
many thanks to everyone.

Told my auntie as advised and the issue's been resolved, its strange that the text message in question was actually sent by me to my brother who was visiting Nigeria at the time, unknown to me, he had his sim card in my aunty's phone. Apparently, my aunty got to see the text message after my brother had removed his Sim card and returned to England, and had thought it was an instruction for her and gave my mate the money before she could confirm with me.

The funny thing's my mate's received the money twice unaware of the situation. But to your credit, I would not have been able to get to the bottom of this if I didnt tell my aunty.

Many many many thanks
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by FunmyKemmy(f): 4:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
All is well. Glory be to God.
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by snokky(m): 11:24am On Nov 06, 2009
Mennn, I like your mate's star o,

Having hammered twice, i must confess the guy dey lucky menn, kai,

God plz, let someone knowingly or unknowingly pay me too o, abeg!!!!!!!!
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by rawe45: 10:38pm On Nov 06, 2009
snokky:

Amen and Me too o!
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by iyeayo(f): 1:30am On Nov 07, 2009
snokky:

And me too! I claim it too, let someone pay me unknowingly to the tune of millions of dollars grin grin
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by snokky(m): 12:26pm On Nov 07, 2009
iyeayo:

And me too! I claim it too,  let someone pay me unknowingly to the tune of millions of dollars grin grin

I prefer it in Pounds instead!!

Iyeayo,

U dey try o,  this your location is something else o,  won ni e ma n spend 24hrs in the air or something

Good one there,  how your side dey??
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by iyeayo(f): 4:28am On Nov 08, 2009
snokky:

I prefer it in Pounds instead!!

Iyeayo,

U dey try o,  this your location is something else o,  won ni e ma n spend 24hrs in the air or something

Good one there,  how your side dey??

Haba! who told you we spend 24hrs in the air?? shocked shocked it not true o, far from that. Its only 23.5hrs in the air, LOL grin grin
Anyway, what can we do, this place is good I tell you, but man, it's faaaaaaarrr!
Its summer here now and very hot, but otherwise, this side is cool. How my naija people ?
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:04am On Nov 08, 2009
epele oo iyaeyo, se dada ni
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by snokky(m): 1:29pm On Nov 09, 2009
iyeayo:

Haba! who told you we spend 24hrs in the air?? shocked shocked it not true o, far from that. Its only 23.5hrs in the air, LOL grin grin
Anyway, what can we do, this place is good I tell you, but man, it's faaaaaaarrr!
Its summer here now and very hot, but otherwise, this side is cool. How my naija people ?

@iyeola

We dey for naija my dear, the rain is something else this year, its already Nov and we still have some rain last week

look at you, wot is the different btw 24 and 23.5hrs, na just some change mins remain jare.

If i have to take on that kinda journey, i will make sure i visit a medicine store, there is this drug that make u sleep for hours

As soon as I hear the pilot saying. Goodmorning ladies n gentlemen, u re welcome on board, we shall be flying at 33k about the sea leave, bla bla bla,

I don swallow the drug be that, i shld wake up when i get to Australia. lol, 

oh,  my bad, there is no direct flight i think!

There is this man i knew back then, a friend to my brother, he got some cars in Aussy but said he cant even think of sending it to naija cos the bill will kill him, he com dey go europe go buy car send to naija instead.

najia pple dey plenty 4 ur side?
Re: Has Best Mate Scammed Me? by iyeayo(f): 11:13pm On Nov 09, 2009
@oyinbogoju

dada ni o, thanks, how your side?

snokky:

@iyeola

We dey for naija my dear, the rain is something else this year, its already Nov and we still have some rain last week

look at you, wot is the different btw 24 and 23.5hrs, na just some change mins remain jare.

If i have to take on that kinda journey, i will make sure i visit a medicine store, there is this drug that make u sleep for hours

As soon as I hear the pilot saying. Goodmorning ladies n gentlemen, u re welcome on board, we shall be flying at 33k about the sea leave, bla bla bla,

I don swallow the drug be that, i shld wake up when i get to Australia. lol,

oh, my bad, there is no direct flight i think!

There is this man i knew back then, a friend to my brother, he got some cars in Aussy but said he cant even think of sending it to naija cos the bill will kill him, he com dey go europe go buy car send to naija instead.

najia pple dey plenty 4 your side?

I wish that sort of drug is available, but unfortunately, it isn't. My bros, where in the world will you not find our people?? cheesy Naija people full Australia like water. Dont even question it, they are here plentyyyy. Cars are cheap here but the freight cost will kill. Kudos to my people o, I miss home jare, especially my one and only almight "Amala, Gbegiri and ewedu with goat meat".

(1) (Reply)

TOKUNBO TRUCKS FOR SALE AT A VERY CHEAP PRICES / Cold Room Business: All(almost) Yhu Need To Know / Massive Corruption Uncovered In The Federal Fire Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.