Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,049 members, 7,828,695 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? (1404 Views)

Man Catches His Wife In A Hotel With Man, Says "I Have The Right To Kill You" / I Want To Leave My Wife For My Girlfriend / I Hate My Girlfriend’s Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by YOLO1(m): 9:19pm On Nov 05, 2016
Even though am from a below average family (economy wise), one of the lessons my parents instilled in us is contemptment.
There is this lady that I have been dating for over 2 years now. No doubt, we are really inlove with each other. Never knew she is from a wealthy background till we started ddating. Even with my financial constraints, I still try to be the man in our relationship by taking her out and buying her gifts from the funds I gather while hustling. She has also opted to help me out at most of my financial crisis, some of which I accepted, most I rejected.
Now to the main story. She introduced me to her parents during our convocation last year. They were very happy to see me. We exchanged contacts and we have been communicating since then. Her mum told me several times during our communications that she would love that I serve in Lagos (Batch A, 2016) and as that I should send her my Call up number so that they will help me influence it to Lagos. Even though I had the intention of serving in Lagos cos of the opportunities their, I didn't oblige to her request. As God will have it, I got posted to Lagos without influencing anything.
Few days to we resuming to camp, I arrived Lagos. I put off with one of my friends who resides in Lagos. My girlfriend called me that she would love me to come and visit her parents and siblings, was reluctant at first but had to oblige just to satisfy her. Went with my friend and the reception was so nice.
The following day, I received loads of gift items (provisions and groceries) from her family for me to take to camp. Felt embarrassed at first but had to collect it cos it will be insultive for me to tell them to take it back.
Fast-forward to after camp, was posted to a firm in VI as my PPA. Tried to get an accommodation around but couldn't afford all the houses I saw. Again, her family came in by giving me a self-contained room (BQ) in one of her Dad's properties in Ikoyi.
Sincerely, all these gestures have been bothering my mind as to whether to stop or continue receiving future gifts and gestures.
Won't these gifts from her parents affect my relationship with her?
Will she still be submissive if we eventually get married and not taking vain glory that it's cos of her family (She is very humble and always keep low profile. She hasn't behaved in any rude way or manner since we started dating)
What will her siblings and friends think about me? Won't they see me as a gold-digger?
What will happen, if finally we breakup and didn't get to marry?

Please would like to know ur sincere advice on this issue..... A brotherly advice I ask for.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by yomi007k(m): 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2016
Una too dey complain . if d family r not receptive, una go talk. if dem no give una go talk.

Pls jus be a good guy to ur girl or send us her number....Recession dey ground

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by banjicom(m): 9:27pm On Nov 05, 2016
it will backfire, one day she will use that to insult or nag you. Women are all the same smh!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by NevetsIbot(m): 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2016
i'm afraid she might use it against yu.. As in, insult your manliness with it. It's a 50/50 chance. Yu may claim she's humble buh evry woman has a sleeping lion in her.

Just up your hustle and make more cash
Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Nicolars(m): 10:22pm On Nov 05, 2016
meanwhile
that was how a mad man saw his frnd crying by the river
he asked him, y r u crying....
the other replied- i threw a cube of sugar into the river then i tasted it but it was not still sweet
then he laughed saying - idiot, y didnt u shake it first

NICO JOKES

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 05, 2016
YOLO1:
Even though am from a below average family (economy wise), one of the lessons my parents instilled in us is contemptment.
There is this lady that I have been dating for over 2 years now. No doubt, we are really inlove with each other. Never knew she is from a wealthy background till we started ddating. Even with my financial constraints, I still try to be the man in our relationship by taking her out and buying her gifts from the funds I gather while hustling. She has also opted to help me out at most of my financial crisis, some of which I accepted, most I rejected.
Now to the main story. She introduced me to her parents during our convocation last year. They were very happy to see me. We exchanged contacts and we have been communicating since then. Her mum told me several times during our communications that she would love that I serve in Lagos (Batch A, 2016) and as that I should send her my Call up number so that they will help me influence it to Lagos. Even though I had the intention of serving in Lagos cos of the opportunities their, I didn't oblige to her request. As God will have it, I got posted to Lagos without influencing anything.
Few days to we resuming to camp, I arrived Lagos. I put off with one of my friends who resides in Lagos. My girlfriend called me that she would love me to come and visit her parents and siblings, was reluctant at first but had to oblige just to satisfy her. Went with my friend and the reception was so nice.
The following day, I received loads of gift items (provisions and groceries) from her family for me to take to camp. Felt embarrassed at first but had to collect it cos it will be insultive for me to tell them to take it back.
Fast-forward to after camp, was posted to a firm in VI as my PPA. Tried to get an accommodation around but couldn't afford all the houses I saw. Again, her family came in by giving me a self-contained room (BQ) in one of her Dad's properties in Ikoyi.
Sincerely, all these gestures have been bothering my mind as to whether to stop or continue receiving future gifts and gestures.
Will she still be submissive if we eventually get married and not taking vain glory that it's cos of her family (She is very humble and always keep low profile. She hasn't behaved in any rude way or manner since we started dating)
What will her siblings and friends think about me? Won't they see me as a gold-digger?

Please would like to know ur sincere advice on this issue..... A brotherly advice I ask for.
If you are very close to her(if you are very passionate with each other, of course you can feel it if you are) call her and with wisdom tell her how you feel and your fears. If she is genuinely in love with you, perceptive and is intelligent, you can initiate the process of giving a closure to this issue in your relationship. If what you said is true(her being humble; a rare attribute for some well to do people) you might find a balance.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by EfemenaXY: 12:11am On Nov 06, 2016
YOLO1:

Well... you are punching above your weight with that one.

Why don't you lower your expectations and date girls from the same social class and circle as yours? That way your manhood won't feel threatened with thoughts of non-submission?

Re: the bolder part of your post, you definitely do sound like a gold digger. Why else would you be worried about what happens to you (financially ) if you breakup with her??

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by mrjojo: 6:11am On Nov 06, 2016
I don't really see anything bad in this, As long as you both are in love as you claim, just continue to be good and HUSTLE too, don't get lazy, you will be fine. I know a friend whose girlfriend parent started a company for, yeah, A pure water factory for him. he got married last month and am sure he will be forever grateful. As long as you don't stop loving each other, you are safe.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by sisisioge: 8:30am On Nov 06, 2016
Guy...Biko don't accept to live in her father's property o. If you must, arrange to move within the shortest time possible! How do you plan to establish your independence as a man and head of the family eventually if the two of you get married when her people are your benefactor? How will you be able to put your feet down when it's required without seeming ungrateful? Biko, stop accepting gifts from them. Love their daughter correctly, respect them and just be a good person. If they want to assist find you a job... may God bless them! You sure would need that.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by eyinjuege: 8:36am On Nov 06, 2016
You don't sound convinced that you want to marry her. She and her people believe you guys are headed to the altar.
Please, let her know now that you can't marry her and leave her father's house immediately. They are being nice to you because of their daughter who must have let them understand how important you are to her.
They are not nice to you for any other reason like you're fine, or because you're a graduate with prospects. There are a lot of other fine young men who are graduates with prospects that they can equally help. The only difference is that those ones aren't dating their daughter.
That your call up you assumed wasn't influenced to Lagos, think again. I can almost bet it that it was influenced.

There's no need leading her on. Her family has accepted you despite your background, and it would be wicked of you to lead them on.

If you however feel you can marry her, why don't you develop some self worth, and stop with all these submission and taking of vain glory ish?
No man is an island, and no man can boast of achieving anything in this life without the help of others, not necessarily family. Even Dangote owes a lot of his achievements to his mothers family , I believe. He was able to get a loan from them to start his business. Of course his personal effort is what made the business successful as it is today.
So even if they want to take glory for your achievements, why see it as something new? Your personal effort too is what matters the most.

Instead of you to settle down, and take her father as one of your mentors to teach you things and show you how he was able to make it in life, you're here talking about vain glory.
Even if you marry someone of your social standing, does that mean she'll be automatically "submissive"?

Anyways, it seems your mind is already biased against your gf so I doubt if you won't read meanings to anything she or her family does if you get married.
Better let everyone go their separate ways now and allow water to find its own level.

13 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by KillerBeauty(f): 3:50pm On Nov 06, 2016
Your concerns are very petty.
She hasn't done anything wrong to you yet you're already guessing she won't be submissive to you.
Whether her family is richer than you or you are richer than they wouldn't make her more or less submissive.

Op just focus on your job work hard to change your financial status, love your girl as much as you can. Relax and everything will work out.

And stop thinking negatively.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Welcomme: 4:51pm On Nov 06, 2016
Ogbeni, come make we exchange girlfriend

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by dangotesmummy: 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2016
You're complaining about nothing. You just want to whine for the sake of whinning. You have a girlfriend that's to your taste her family loves and accepts you what else do you want undecided

Can you please shut the fok up undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by spawnx: 6:32pm On Nov 06, 2016
It can be quite daunting. I see no problem here, Focus on building. your career, make your own money be a man. It will work out.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by yetseyi(f): 6:50pm On Nov 06, 2016
One thing is certain they have accepted you and they are they thinking this is the man for our daughter

Provisions is not to much to give to a corper going to Camp especially one dating your daughter and as for the apartment are you living there permanently? Is it not for a while, won't you hustle and make your own money?

If it was your family doing same for your girlfriend would she question it, If a neutral family helped you with an apartment/gave provisions wont you accept it or is it because its her family doing it. Its not likr after camp they were bringing the provisions on a monthly basis, I guess they just felt provions is something you need while in camp. After Nysc if they offer to use their influence to get you a good job won't you accept?

I have not seen anything in your writeup that you need to be concerned about, except your intentions towards the lady are not pure.

This your vain glory thinking won't help you at all.

By the way I think your posting and PPA were influenced.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Richy4(m): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2016
[b]Na so the thing dey take start..... From provision , her parent will be giving u a call>>>YOLO1 come and check our garden, I think the tree is about to fall...From there,>>>Yolo1 please Ben our house boy took a day off , he usually do the dishes, do you mind helping a distressed mother do the dishes please>>>Oh Yolo1, I think the car is faulty, we have not serviced it for some time Please take it to the mechanic and tell them to change the oil etc....

Any day you object, you will become an ungrateful pig....They will start with the phrase.. After all they have done for you, saw you through school from primary to PHD....Picked you up from the gutter and dust u up.... Now you feel you can bite the fingers that fed you...bla bla bla

you sound like an intelligent person, AND wants to be a self made man....but a lot of people will not understand u here...If you want to maintain your prestige, and do not want to be reminded of how they picked u up from the gutter, please stay clear from their gifts, if possible, ask to pay a little from the rent... so that you can have an opinion in future..[/b]
wink

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Snow5(m): 11:59pm On Nov 06, 2016
From my observations... With this your write up

You don't love the girl.. U are afraid of breaking her heart cos u already know the kinda calibers that will come for your head if you dont treat d daughter very nicely..

You are bordered cos you are already tired of the relationship but the wealth of the Father still keeps it floating.... If u know u don't love the girl anymore and she is not your spec... Bro better let her know now cos wen u brake up with her after all the family's gift and connection... Hehehehe you go hear weeen!!!

Nigga wants to quit the relationship but does not know how and is afraid d family of the girl is investing into something that won't work out... Lols... He already knows he won't Marry her fa!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Nobody: 1:19am On Nov 07, 2016
With your write up, I see no threat here,except you want to create one..

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't man up with basic responsibilities.
Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by dayleke: 6:05am On Nov 07, 2016
Wahala wa o,
See comments na...
YOLO1 = OYO...
Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 07, 2016
My fiancé abi fiancée mother wants to do well about everything for me,
And me no send at all
I even tell the younger ones that once they see me they should assume chaperone roles..
As at today "IF" you have genuine intentions then don't bother but don't sell your birthright .. Double your hustle
Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 07, 2016
Op stop looking for faults when there's none.
She's submissive and rich , na problem
Shes not submissive and poor, na still problem for u
What else again do u want in this life..
God has sent an angel to soft pedal the remaining journey of. Your life, u are asking God why all these good. Fortunes...
Just be thanking your God everyday and try and learn from the dad and take her family as yours.. And remove doubts of breakup from your mind.
Life is all. About stages, a time will come u will make it and be able to take gifts to her parents too.. .. Be wise and appreciative.
Re: Is It Right To Be Collecting Gifts From My Girlfriend's Parents? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 07, 2016
Stop looking for problems where they don't exist. But if you have no intentions of settling with this girl please move on and set her free.

(1) (Reply)

Win The War Against Sickle Cell With Dioscovite Supplement . / Help! Parents Want Me To Break Up With My Girlfriend Because She's HIV Positive / Should Marriage End Up On The Ground Of Childlessness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.