Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

An Analysis Of The ND Issue By Martins Arogie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Analysis Of The ND Issue By Martins Arogie (564 Views)

Bismarck Rewane Subtly Admitted That Militancy In The ND Has Political Undertone / See What President Buhari Just Said Now On Radio & TV About The ND Militants / I Make Bold To Say That The ND Attacks Are Thiefnibu's Doing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Analysis Of The ND Issue By Martins Arogie by Atk1nson(m): 10:32pm On Nov 05, 2016
I found this interesting write-up, felt I should share:

I listened to a traditional ruler in the NIGER Delta passionately explain why they insisted as part of the conditions for peace in the region during the meeting with the President that pipeline protection contracts be given to host communities where the pipeline passes and immediately had several unresolved questions?
Where in the world do we need people to continually guard every inch of pipeline against willful destruction?
How come paying the community to guard the pipeline is a precondition for peace? If destruction of the pipelines is brought about by a lack of peace why should we still need to pay communities to guard them when peace is restored?
Shouldn't the aim be to empower those bombing the pipelines so that the pipelines becomes safe when they are gainfully employed? Or is pipeline protection expected to be the principal source of employment in the region going forward. So no need for schools anymore. Once you get to a certain age in your community, you join the pipeline protection brigade and you are made for life?
Who is the community? Who signs on behalf of the community and collects the funds for this patriotic service on behalf of the community? The same elders who have served in various Governments in the past on behalf of these same communities?
The same traditional ruler also talked about why they should own oil blocks not because they want to or like to (after all who likes to carry blocks. It's hard work, I suspect he must have been thinking) but because it is only fair they own some too.
Now I remember a story of a man who hails from a BH ravaged area but is rumored to have given a substantial amount to an American university while poverty loomed large in his backyard. Who can point to a community in Nigeria that is very developed because one of its sons owns an oil block. No one owns an oil block for his community. They only own it for themselves and their families.
It is a disgrace and shame that old and young men from my region went to see the President and rather than insist on a Marshal plan be developed to transform the landscape of the region, Massive investments in education, healthcare and infrastructure, they focus on individualistic pursuits.
When the oil blocks are allocated, mama Preye won't get one. She will keep roasting her fish by the riverside daily oblivious that some elder has just collected her pathway out of poverty in his name but on her behalf and has become even more well placed to entrench himself as her leader while poverty entrenches himself in her home!
Sad!
Re: An Analysis Of The ND Issue By Martins Arogie by ambitiousLord(m): 10:42pm On Nov 05, 2016
Okay
Re: An Analysis Of The ND Issue By Martins Arogie by edebemba(m): 10:50pm On Nov 05, 2016
It seems that the elders of the Niger Delta are tired of the restiveness of the youths and are looking for a way to curb it. Since there is no job anywhere for them, they figured that offerimg them pipeline security will keep them busy and, perhaps ends vandalism, robbery, kidnapping and cultism.

(1) (Reply)

Trump Victory Is A Victory Over The Forces Of Propaganda And Lies -wike / Nigerian Official Website Down / Nigeria’s Economy Shrinks By 2.2% In Third Quarter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.