Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Labour Union And Deregulation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Union And Deregulation (1716 Views)

Improve Power Supply, Not Tariffs, Labour Union Tells Buhari / NLC: Buhari Now Captive Of Forces Of Subsidy Removal, Deregulation / Deregulation Of The Downstream Oil Sector Is Illegal - Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Union And Deregulation by Akanbiedu(m): 8:08am On Oct 30, 2009
Banking: They told us that if Dr. Soludo recapitalized banks, people would lose their jobs. Just four years after, there were more bank jobs.

Telecommunications: They told us if govt privatized telecoms services, workers would lose their jobs and that phone services will be out of reach of the masses, few years’ later total lines increased from below 1million to over 50million and there are more telecoms jobs.

They were happy when Pres Yar'adua cancelled sale of kaduna refinery on the same claim; job losses and masses consideration, two years after refineries
are still not working. Sebi, it has to be available first before we talk about affordability.

Now they are fighting against privatization of PHCN, deregulation of downstream sector, concession of GAT. Should government listen to them this time around? The fear of job losses is understandable but not if we are actually going to generate more jobs in the long run.

Reasons to support deregulation of the downstream sector:

Subsidy has been bastardized in nigeria. Government officials and oil marketers collude to inflate prices, which mean government is paying a lot into private pockets. Lets say the selling price of PMS is N80/litre and the pump price is N65 the government pays the N15 difference. But if due to corruption the marketers and government officials tell government it’s N90. It means N10/litre will be paid into private pockets. It could be worse because there are fluctuations in prices all the time, creating more room for corrupt practices. How is this supposed to be in the interest of the masses?

Our borders are porous, meaning we have been subsidizing not only Nigerians but our neighbors (Niger, Benin republic etc) through smuggling of petroleum products to them enriching private pockets in the process. The only reason for smuggling out of the country is because the product has been subsidized and thus cheaper.

It’s subsidy that is killing investment in local refineries due to sabotage.

I don’t think deregulation will add more to masses’ suffering. Yes there may be initial hardship, but I believe it will eventually subside later. These things have a way of creating more cash flow in the system.
What do you think?
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 30, 2009
@poster,u dnt have d facts about deregulation at all.Fine there corruption in d claims of marketers,but this is corroborated by benefiting nnpc officials.If govt shd deregulate nigerians we see hell.our economy is petrol driven.no power we use fuel for generators,our cars,grinding machines etc evrything depends on petrol.Have u asked ur d aftermath of ago(diesel)&aviation fuel that av being deregulated? Airlines are closing down operation cost is high.1hr flight lag-abj N20,000.cost of fueling an aircraft for an hr is N500000
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 30, 2009
Dis airlines must pay salaries,tax&do other operations when fuel have taken 40% of their income.Look at belview&others they stopped operation.Staff will be retrenched put urself in their shoes.Recently they ran to govt for intervention.All due to deregulation&high fuel.The sector have failed to grow for many years now.Many nigerians cant afford travelling by air
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 30, 2009
Lets talk about disel.Since it was deregulated by obj,d price flaunctuates btw N100&N160.U no we dnt hav stable power.95% of big companies operate on gen eg mtn glo zain cadbury, pz etc.These high diesel cost is telling on d prices we buy their products.Gsm for instance said we pay N40/min due to diesel cost&power problem.Dunlop ran to ghana for d same reason.Imaging all these
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 30, 2009
Look at DPK(KEROSINE) dat millions of people use sells at N500/4litre i.e N120 imagine in a country blessed with abundant crude.labovr is saying fix roads,power,rails coruption refineries etc then deregulate but they wuldnt listen
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 30, 2009
Lastly PMS(PETROL).We buy presently at N65.After deregulation we may be buyin @N104 or more depending on price at international mkt,when if we refine locally we can buy at N20/litre.In lagos if d price of fuel is increased by N1, everything will go up like transport,pepper,bread,egg,gala,buscuit etc in corresponding proportion.If N45 is now added to N65 it means our salaries will be turned to peanut.Govt must develop infrastures before deregulating
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by netotse(m): 9:39am On Oct 30, 2009
toba:

Lets talk about disel.Since it was deregulated by obj,d price flaunctuates btw N100&N160.U no we dnt hav stable power.95% of big companies operate on gen eg mtn glo zain cadbury, pz etc.These high diesel cost is telling on d prices we buy their products.Gsm for instance said we pay N40/min due to diesel cost&power problem.Dunlop ran to ghana for d same reason.Imaging all these

stop lying jo
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 30, 2009
U ought to have have raised me up since i was lying&not lieing
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 30, 2009
Akanbi_edu:

Banking: They told us that if Dr. Soludo recapitalized banks, people would lose their jobs. Just four years after, there were more bank jobs.

Telecommunications: They told us if govt privatized telecoms services, workers would lose their jobs and that phone services will be out of reach of the masses, few years’ later total lines increased from below 1million to over 50million and there are more telecoms jobs.

They were happy when Pres Yar'adua cancelled sale of kaduna refinery on the same claim; job losses and masses consideration, two years after refineries
are still not working. Sebi, it has to be available first before we talk about affordability.

Now they are fighting against privatization of PHCN, deregulation of downstream sector, concession of GAT. Should government listen to them this time around? The fear of job losses is understandable but not if we are actually going to generate more jobs in the long run.

Reasons to support deregulation of the downstream sector:

Subsidy has been bastardized in nigeria. Government officials and oil marketers collude to inflate prices, which mean government is paying a lot into private pockets.  Lets say the selling price of PMS is N80/litre and the pump price is N65 the government pays the N15 difference. But if due to corruption the marketers and government officials tell government it’s N90. It means N10/litre will be paid into private pockets. It could be worse because there are fluctuations in prices all the time, creating more room for corrupt practices. How is this supposed to be in the interest of the masses?

Our borders are porous, meaning we have been subsidizing not only Nigerians but our neighbors (Niger, Benin republic etc) through smuggling of petroleum products to them enriching private pockets in the process. The only reason for smuggling out of the country is because the product has been subsidized and thus cheaper.

It’s subsidy that is killing investment in local refineries due to sabotage.

I don’t think deregulation will add more to masses’ suffering. Yes there may be initial hardship, but I believe it will eventually subside later. These things have a way of creating more cash flow in the system.
What do you think?

Who told you Banks are hiring more? Anyway The issues of deregulation is that before you deregulate your refineries should be working, A country can not fully deregulate when you are importing, then you make your economy dependent on the economy of another country. Plus how much does it cost to subsidize fuel, Government says it spends N700 million / day, that translates to N5 per citizen, is N5 too much for any Government to pay to make its citizens life less stressful, Thats all we enjoy is it too much in a country with poor power supply, poor roads, poor education and health care system. If there is a problem with saboters for God sake we have over 100000 policemen, SSS, Custom and Imigration, Its their problem to deal with saboteurs, The masses cant pay for their failure to deal with sabotuers
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Akanbiedu(m): 10:32am On Oct 30, 2009
aisha2:

Who told you Banks are hiring more? Anyway The issues of deregulation is that before you deregulate your refineries should be working, A country can not fully deregulate when you are importing, then you make your economy dependent on the economy of another country. Plus how much does it cost to subsidize fuel, Government says it spends N700 million / day, that translates to N5 per citizen, is N5 too much for any Government to pay to make its citizens life less stressful, Thats all we enjoy is it too much in a country with poor power supply, poor roads, poor education and health care system. If there is a problem with saboters for God sake we have over 100000 policemen, SSS, Custom and Imigration, Its their problem to deal with saboteurs, The masses cant pay for their failure to deal with sabotuers

The issue is that refineries are not working right now. If you ask government to fix refineries, its like doing the same thing and expecting different results. Successive governments have tried before without results we all know why (corruption). Should we continue doing the same thing? Subsidizing is not in the interest of the masses as the rich use petroleum product more.

N700million per day translates to N250billion naira in a year. thats almost 10% of our national budget. with over 40 going to recurrent expenditure(labour demanding more pay will make it higher) leaving 50% for all other aspects of our national life. defence, education(ASUU demanding 20%), health,sports, agriculture etc

The ration of 140million to 100000 policemen is about 1400 to 1. How much do you think a policeman to 1400 can do?
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Akanbiedu(m): 10:34am On Oct 30, 2009
Sincerely speaking I think its agriculture, education and health that need subsidy.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by netotse(m): 11:18am On Oct 30, 2009
toba:

U ought to have have raised me up since i was lying&not lieing

you really dont want to go there. . . (but if you do, i would suggest you check a dictionary first!)
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 30, 2009
Please confirm to me from all the previous test run deregulations or partial deregulations which of the items you mentioned have been subsidized. Obasanjo increased fuel price 11 times with the same excuse, has power impreoved? Has security improved? Are raods better? Has the health sector improved? Government propagandists
Akanbi_edu:

The issue is that refineries are not working right now. If you ask government to fix refineries, its like doing the same thing and expecting different results. Successive governments have tried before without results we all know why (corruption). Should we continue doing the same thing? Subsidizing is not in the interest of the masses as the rich use petroleum product more.

N700million per day translates to N250billion naira in a year. thats almost 10% of our national budget. with over 40 going to recurrent expenditure(labour demanding more pay will make it higher) leaving 50% for all other aspects of our national life. defence, education(ASUU demanding 20%), health,sports, agriculture etc

The ration of 140million to 100000 policemen is about 1400 to 1. How much do you think a policeman to 1400 can do?
, look for better lies. Just more money for them to loot
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Ibime(m): 1:57pm On Oct 30, 2009
They better deregulate PHCN. . . . NLU can go phock themselves.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by rethink: 2:41pm On Oct 30, 2009
first of all I am very angry with Nigeria I SAY ITS ABOUT TIME WE DEREGULATE HABA

I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO START BECAUSE

If Nigeria pays 700 million on petrol everyday

75% of that money goes to susidize the Middle class and the Elite. The NLC is just not getting it. The petrol that is subsidized is used by the Elite.
Government is saying we are stealing you and we know that we are, we dont want to Subsidize petrol for our girl friends and family that we buy cars we want to focus on other issues.

The Farmers dont have cars that they drive. We see people cars with 5.6 liter egnine that drink petrol, they are like moving petrol stations. Nigerians Should tell NLC to go to hell because they have lost it.

THE Poor that the NLC is pretending to fight for knows nothing on the other side. The subsidy is on The big Generators and big cars that your BIG MEN drive.

Do the farmer have generators or big cars?

I have said it until we start paying heavy prices on fuel no one would dream of opening a single refinery in Nigeria. Deregulation is the way.

IF PEOPLE SAY THAT YOU INCREASE FUEL AND EVERYTHING GOES UP AND SO WHAT? FUEL IS NOT OUR GOD WHAT IF WE DID NOT HAVE CRUDE OIL? THIS IS A SHAME ON YOU NLC. YOU KNOW THE TRUTH AND YOU IGNORE IT.

Every OMC knows that at the end of the month he will earn so much because they just fix the price and the same government pays for it.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Akanbiedu(m): 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2009
rethink:

first of all I am very angry with Nigeria I SAY ITS ABOUT TIME WE DEREGULATE HABA

I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO START BECAUSE

If Nigeria pays 700 million on petrol everyday

75% of that money goes to susidize the Middle class and the Elite. The NLC is just not getting it. The petrol that is subsidized is used by the Elite.
Government is saying we are stealing you and we know that we are, we dont want to Subsidize petrol for our girl friends and family that we buy cars we want to focus on other issues.

The Farmers dont have cars that they drive. We see people cars with 5.6 liter egnine that drink petrol, they are like moving petrol stations. Nigerians Should tell NLC to go to hell because they have lost it.

THE Poor that the NLC is pretending to fight for knows nothing on the other side. The subsidy is on The big Generators and big cars that your BIG MEN drive.

Do the farmer have generators or big cars?

I have said it until we start paying heavy prices on fuel no one would dream of opening a single refinery in Nigeria. Deregulation is the way.

IF PEOPLE SAY THAT YOU INCREASE FUEL AND EVERYTHING GOES UP AND SO WHAT? FUEL IS NOT OUR GOD WHAT IF WE DID NOT HAVE CRUDE OIL? THIS IS A SHAME ON YOU NLC. YOU KNOW THE TRUTH AND YOU IGNORE IT.

Every OMC knows that at the end of the month he will earn so much because they just fix the price and the same government pays for it.

Thank you. Its not easy explaining this because people get too emotional with these things. The masses do not even use a quarter of petroleum products. the money spent per day is actually more than 700million, its about N1700miilion out of which only God knows how much enter private pockets. because govt imports, a lot of fuel goes to government officials free of charge. how is this supposed to be in the interest of the masses?

aisha2:

Please confirm to me from all the previous test run deregulations or partial deregulations which of the items you mentioned have been subsidized. Obasanjo increased fuel price 11 times with the same excuse, has power impreoved? Has security improved? Are raods better? Has the health sector improved? Government propagandists, look for better lies. Just more money for them to loot

The reason Obj had to increase 11 times is still the reason to deregulate. Because every time prices flunctuate, government has to fluctuate with it. Do you really want to continue with this arrangement? We definitely can not continue doing the same thing over and over. if prices go up and government can not sustain it, we go through another round of strikes abi? Have you noticed the opposition are not really saying anything about deregulation? I am sure Adams Oshiomhole will deregulate.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 30, 2009
U guyz are missing points about deregulation.I pointed out 2eg from my previous posts on jet A1,Ago&dpk which were deregulated&just as aisha said which benefit hav d masses derived from these? I shd be glad if u can give me 1eg that we benefit from kerosine&diesel.come to lagos u will pity people when u see crowd at gas station waiting to buy deregulated dpk.if govt doesnt address some issues deregulation wouldnt help
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 30, 2009
When u deregulate there shd be competition among mkters&availability,But from records d reverse is d case.We pay high&have to wait in agony to buy d products.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 30, 2009
Personally i support deregulation but i still think d time is not ripe for it.When d price moved from 65-N70,prices of goods moved immediately.When it was brought down prices of goods didnt come down.Thats my fear.With d recession countries over d world are given stimulus packages,reducing taxes,costs of goods are coming down.But in nigeria we want to deregulate&bring our own prices up,without increasing salaries in return
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by rethink: 5:03pm On Oct 30, 2009
@toba

Thank you for your post.

1) The OMC know how to throw the cost on your so called Deregulated DPK and Diesel. The same company that carry Fuel is the same one that carry the DPK and Diesel.

EG I bring in 100 million liters of fuel and 100 million liters of diesel. If i made a loss on the import of Diesel i would common sensely Charge you for the my loss on the Fuel which you still foolishly SUBDSIDIZE.

2) Should we then boycot this OMC? Then you will see people buying fuel for 500 hundred a liter. Should we put a gun in their heads and force them they have right and the same labour Union would say all kinds of things.

THE RICH HAVE DISCOVERED THAT THEY HAVE ROBBED US ENOUGH AND THE NLC IS NOT READY TO LET GO BECAUSE NUPENG AND PENGASSAN THEIR MEMBERS KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY IS MAKING.

THE NLC IS THE BATON THE OIL CABAL USES TO WHIP THE GOVERNMENT.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by omofineboy(m): 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2009
Must Nigeria import petroleum products?. Stop importation and build/repair refineries to full capacities. I am sure there wont be anything to subsidize again. All these deregulation stories are lies. Yaradua should fix PHCN, RAILWAY and Roads. chikena
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 30, 2009
Thats d point insecerity on d part of govt.Fix roads,fix refineries,fix rail&stop importation,fix phcn.After then deregulate.6000 megawatts by dec 09 is a myth,rem when theres no light we must buy fuel at deregulated price by jan 2010.Who will suffer d poor or d rich?
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Akanbiedu(m): 5:42pm On Oct 30, 2009
toba:

Thats d point insecerity on d part of govt.Fix roads,fix refineries,fix rail&stop importation,fix phcn.After then deregulate.6000 megawatts by dec 09 is a myth,rem when theres no light we must buy fuel at deregulated price by jan 2010.Who will suffer d poor or d rich?

Have you ever asked why they couldn't fix these things?
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2009
Why? If i may ask
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by rethink: 6:20pm On Oct 30, 2009
Some people think that it is robots or Angels that run PHCN The Refineris The roads et all.  The theives are in the Ministeries and those instituition. you have people in the civil service.

Supose we have had 15 presidents since indepence and we have all as theives (just for arguement sake) lets say they stole  $2 billion on the Average so we have $30 billion stolen by the Leaders and this means that the official are either saints or Idiots. Where did the other moneys go?

THE TECHNOCRATS
THE CIVIL SERVICE
THE MINSTERS
THE UNIONS

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT WITHOUT THEM NO SOLDIER OR TEACHER CAN STEAL ONE NAIRA FROM NIGERIA.

TO EVERY THEFT THERE IS NOT ONE PERSON INVOLVED IT IS A SYNDICATE.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by omofineboy(m): 6:46pm On Oct 30, 2009
when the head is bad all other parts are rotten, the civil servants do whatever they are asked to do otherwise they are booted out.
Re: Labour Union And Deregulation by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 30, 2009
Thats it govt thats accusing mkters of corruption is also corrupt.so deregulation can stop corruption? Its a big lie.Bode george is a good example of these officials N85billion in npa in less than 3yrs as head

(1) (Reply)

NTA 8.5b Contract: Is Prof Dora Akunyuli Corrupt Or Simply Dumb? / Ohakim And Efcc Are Theif / How Tinubu (allegedly) Reduced Igbo Population In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.