Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,233 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? (1667 Views)

I Went To An Occasion Today At Oriental Hotel I Was Served Beans And Dodo / Fried Plantain (Dodo) Or PuffPuff? (Photo) / For The Love Of Plantain | New! - Dodo Ikire | Share your recipes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Hardeysolution(m): 4:24pm On Nov 06, 2016
Even Hausas, igbos, say dodo. ..what is the English word for Dodo ..... Or?
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Abiagirl777(f): 5:04pm On Nov 06, 2016
If its plantain you mean then you are wrong cos Igbo's call it une or Abrika.
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Hardeysolution(m): 5:20pm On Nov 06, 2016
Abiagirl777:
If its plantain you mean then you are wrong cos Igbo's call it une or Abrika.
I mean they adopt that word. I have lot of them as friends.. I don't mean that's the right word in igbo
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 06, 2016
Plantain
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Abiagirl777(f): 9:22pm On Nov 06, 2016
Hardeysolution:
I mean they adopt that word. I have lot of them as friends.. I don't mean that's the right word in igbo

Maybe in Lagos and other westrn states but not in the east,I heard it on Nl for the first time.
Travel out,the world doesn't end in Lagos,Ogun n Abuja.
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Baroba(m): 6:13am On Nov 07, 2016
In Igboland its called Ogede, Plantain is supposed to be the English name isn't it?
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Baroba(m): 6:14am On Nov 07, 2016
Abiagirl777:

Maybe in Lagos and other westrn states but not in the east,I heard it on Nl for the first time.
Travel out,the world doesn't end in Lagos,Ogun n Abuja.

Exactly, Its called Ogede in Igboland, no one I know in Enugu calls it dodo..
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by Hardeysolution(m): 8:41am On Nov 07, 2016
Baroba:

isn't ogede Yoruba?
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by babyfaceafrica: 8:30pm On Nov 07, 2016
Baroba:

lolz...eve the ogede is yoruba for banana
Re: Please, What's The Original English Word For 'dodo'? by marylandcakes: 9:13am On Nov 10, 2016
In Benin it is called Edodo

In English it is called fried plantain

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Most Delicious Food You Should Eat Before You Die In Nigeria / Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil / Spaghetti Comes From Italy?cinderella Wore Glass Slipper?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.