Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? (4781 Views)

5 Warning Signs Of Low Coolant In Car / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant / Radiator Coolant For Peugeot 406 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by feelme3(m): 6:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
Hello experts in the house.
Two days ago my Nissan maxima overheated for the first time. After flushing the radiator, my mechanic asked me to go buy two cans of coolant (greenish).

The issue now is that he has been having a running argument with a fellow mechanic on where to add the coolant. While my mechanic wants to pour it directly into the radiator, this other guy insists that coolant are poured into the radiator reservoir tank. I just had to fill my radiator with water and left for a meeting.

So na why I bring am to the council of elders. So please what is the right way: the radiator or the reservoir tank?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by Kjnwancaro: 6:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
Isn't it supposed to be mixed 50:50 with water and poured in radiator?
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by feelme3(m): 7:06pm On Nov 07, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

Na the issue be that. The other guy is insisting that it be poured to the Max line in the reservoir tank without dilution (also says DON'T DILUTE on the can). My mechanic says it's poured straight into the radiator with the water. That's why it's radiator coolant. I no know again
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by cjfbn: 7:10pm On Nov 07, 2016
I like ur style. Fill with water, let them argue.
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by Namzy(m): 10:59pm On Nov 07, 2016
Pour inside radiator and reservoir. Especially the pre mixed ones

1 Like

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by adanny01(m): 11:08pm On Nov 07, 2016
feelme3:

Na the issue be that. The other guy is insisting that it be poured to the Max line in the reservoir tank without dilution (also says DON'T DILUTE on the can). My mechanic says it's poured straight into the radiator with the water. That's why it's radiator coolant. I no know again

There are two options of getting coolant. Its either pre diluted or concentrated. Since yours says don't dilute, the its pre mixed. Just make sure the car has stopped overheating then buy the required quantity band buy spare
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:06am On Nov 08, 2016
feelme3:
Two days ago my Nissan maxima overheated for the first time. After flushing the radiator, my mechanic asked me to go buy two cans of coolant (greenish).

The issue now is that he has been having a running argument with a fellow mechanic on where to add the coolant. While my mechanic wants to pour it directly into the radiator, this other guy insists that coolant are poured into the radiator reservoir tank. I just had to fill my radiator with water and left for a meeting.

So na why I bring am to the council of elders. So please what is the right way: the radiator or the reservoir tank?

Its all the same but one poured via radiator gets to the engine quicker that the one poured via expansion tank remember its all one all system
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by feelme3(m): 7:40am On Nov 08, 2016
adanny01:

There are two options of getting coolant. Its either pre diluted or concentrated. Since yours says don't dilute, the its pre mixed. Just make sure the car has stopped overheating then buy the required quantity band buy spare
adanny01:

Thanks guys. But my confusion is, since it says DON'T DILUTE, does it mean I should fill the radiator with coolant or what? Cos it's the small can that I bought.

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by adanny01(m): 8:16am On Nov 08, 2016
feelme3:

Thanks guys. But my confusion is, since it says DON'T DILUTE, does it mean I should fill the radiator with coolant or what? Cos it's the small can that I bought.

Exactly. You may need up to 5litres or like 10 of the ones you are holding. There is a 5litre gallon of Abro coolant and other brands in the market. It should be cheaper that buying the small cans which I can see as less than half a litre.

Research the exact quantity your car needs. Before changing, start the engine and turn heater to fullest then drain and fill.

After refilling, you need to bleed air out of the cooling system. There is a bleeding port somewhere or start the car with radiator cap open. When thermostat opens, bobbles will start showing up. Note that the coolant is very dangerous if swallowed or spills in eye or ears. Keep some distance especially when starting with open cover.

The coolant is supposed to be applied directly to radiator and expansion tank till full or level.
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by Luckki1001(m): 8:33am On Nov 08, 2016
feelme3:

Good morning, @Feelme3.

Please pour coolant directly into the radiator, as seen below.

Abro? shocked My hand is not there ooo grin grin grin

Why not walk into any Total filling station and request for their coolant, which is sold at N400 per litre [second picture]? They come pre-mixed, meaning you won't need to add water and three would be more than sufficient to fill your radiator and your reserve tank.

All the best cool

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by feelme3(m): 2:19pm On Nov 08, 2016
adanny01:

Exactly. You may need up to 5litres or like 10 of the ones you are holding. There is a 5litre gallon of Abro coolant and other brands in the market. It should be cheaper that buying the small cans which I can see as less than half a litre.

Research the exact quantity your car needs. Before changing, start the engine and turn heater to fullest then drain and fill.

After refilling, you need to bleed air out of the cooling system. There is a bleeding port somewhere or start the car with radiator cap open. When thermostat opens, bobbles will start showing up. Note that the coolant is very dangerous if swallowed or spills in eye or ears. Keep some distance especially when starting with open cover.

The coolant is supposed to be applied directly to radiator and expansion tank till full or level.
Luckki1001:

Good morning, @Feelme3.
Please pour coolant directly into the radiator, as seen below.
Abro? shocked My hand is not there ooo grin grin grin
Why not walk into any Total filling station and request for their coolant, which is sold at N400 per litre [second picture]? They come pre-mixed, meaning you won't need to add water and three would be more than sufficient to fill your radiator and your reserve tank.
All the best cool

Na wa o. Wetin person no know pass am. grin cheesy
Thanks @Luckki1001 and adanny01 for the detailed explanation. I go buy the 5ltr. But afterwards what do I top up with? Does it mean no more water for radiator or is the coolant a periodic thing?
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by adanny01(m): 2:33pm On Nov 08, 2016
feelme3:

Thanks @Luckki1001 and adanny01 for the detailed explanation. I go buy the 5ltr. But afterwards what do I top up with? Does it mean no more water for radiator or is the coolant a periodic thing?

Thats the advantage half litre gives, its cheap to buy one and top up. It is also better to stick to a particular and more available product like the Total or Abro. Freezetone is one good product which comes in both Green and Red colours but i have only seen the 5litre. Unless you wanna buy and keep for topping purposes.

1 Like

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by ttshems(m): 3:04pm On Nov 08, 2016
adanny01:

Thats the advantage half litre gives, its cheap to buy one and top up. It is also better to stick to a particular and more available product like the Total or Abro. Freezetone is one good product which comes in both Green and Red colours but i have only seen the 5litre. Unless you wanna buy and keep for topping purposes.

@adanny01 how much can one get the Freezetone n which colours or will any do
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by Luckki1001(m): 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
feelme3:

Just top up with the Total coolant. It is not expensive, and the last time I flushed out and changed mine was 6months ago. I think coolants have a lifespan of 5yrs or something close to that [can't really remember], but just to be on the safe side, I do mine every 6months - 8months.

No more water please, if you value your engine.

PS: Just noticed you said you will buy the 5ltr. That should serve you for like a year or a year plus [ish]. Don't mix it with water ooo!!!

1 Like

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by adanny01(m): 4:18pm On Nov 08, 2016
ttshems:

@adanny01 how much can one get the Freezetone n which colours or will any do

I have never bought freezetone but i think you should have an idea from Konga or Jumia. The colour depends on your car, Toyota uses red and Honda Green.
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by flecho: 5:04pm On Nov 09, 2016
adanny01:

I have never bought freezetone but i think you should have an idea from Konga or Jumia. The colour depends on your car, Toyota uses red and Honda Green.

Mostly cars from 2010 upward uses red coolant whole 2010 downward uses green coolant.
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by adanny01(m): 8:32pm On Nov 09, 2016
flecho:

Mostly cars from 2010 upward uses red coolant whole 2010 downward uses green coolant.

I have never seen Toyota with green coolant neither have I ever seen Honda with red coolant.

The Honda genuine long life coolant was green and now blue.

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by timenamoney: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2020
Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by feelme3(m): 6:51pm On Nov 07, 2016

(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like) 1 Share (Share)
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by Kjnwancaro: 6:54pm On Nov 07, 2016
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by feelme3(m): 7:06pm On Nov 07, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

Your mechanic is wrong and a qwak, I use this and it says DO NO DILUTE which means his an illiterate and can read the instructions, just buy enough quantity for your radiator and reserve don't mix with water, if it expensive better go for total 9ja
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by VirtIQ: 4:24pm On Jan 19, 2020
How about a brand new double cell radiator. How many of total coolant should i buy
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by timenamoney: 5:19pm On Jan 19, 2020
VirtIQ:
How about a brand new double cell radiator. How many of total coolant should i buy

That very much important for better cooling base on hotter climate, and secondly if one stop working in middle of nowhere u can manage the other one

U will know how many buy experimenting with water or going to total station buy and pouring into the radiator, my Camry takes tree and half to fill + reservoir
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by VirtIQ: 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2020
But my car is honda and manual says
timenamoney:

That very much important for better cooling base on hotter climate, and secondly if one stop working in middle of nowhere u can manage the other one

U will know how many buy experimenting with water or going to total station buy and pouring into the radiator, my Camry takes tree and half to fill + reservoir

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by samadex2007: 10:19am On Jan 20, 2020
I rather advise you go for Valvoline coolant, it's an antifreeze, premixed, guaranteed for 5years,no story about it.

I have a distributor who imports them.

2 Likes

Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by timenamoney: 5:15pm On Sep 25, 2020
VirtIQ:
But my car is honda and manual says
use an abro coolant in tin container or total coolant sold in the filling station
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by Elsueno: 7:59pm On Sep 25, 2020
angry
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by timenamoney: 6:10pm On Oct 13, 2020
feelme3:

use it to fill the radiator before filling the radiator reservoir ,but do not dilute it, because is already mixed with distilled water
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by erico2k2(m): 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

Its all the same but one poured via radiator gets to the engine quicker that the one poured via expansion tank remember its all one all system
well some cars do not have direct openings on the radiators.so fru expansion tank must it go fru.
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2020
erico2k2:

well some cars do not have direct openings on the radiators.so fru expansion tank must it go fru.

we are saying the same thing

no car will have both openings aka both a radiator cap and expansion tank

mostly its one of either

i have never seen a car that has both
Re: Radiator Coolant: What Is The Right Way? by erico2k2(m): 10:37pm On Oct 13, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

we are saying the same thing

no car will have both openings aka both a radiator cap and expansion tank

mostly its one of either

i have never seen a car that has both
nah true. This simple thing kills loads of cars in 9ja.b4 u know nah to wire fan direct

(1) (Reply)

Stolen Car At Shoprite With The Photo Of The Thief. / How Do I Know When A Car Battery Was Produced? / Dodge Caliber How Reliable Is It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.