Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? (42021 Views)

Trump Vs Merkel: White House Orders Withdrawal Of 9,500 US Troops From Germany / Trump Vs Clinton: America Decides 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 08, 2016
Billyonaire:
USA is the leadership of planet earth, if you are on earth and you are not interested in the leadership of the earth, then you are ignorant of the real history of the planet and the direction of the dynamics. The cosmos influence that determines the direction of the planet is a geared towards global leadership. And not some third world ignorant Presidents. I dont even remember tuning to Nigeria TV station in the last many years. Everyone I know tune to CNN and Sky News. I no get liver to tune to Nigerian TV, their English even annoys me big time. They wear funny caps inside house and the women wear hijab. What a confused country. Who wears cap indoors if not bunch of morons.

We are not sovereign yet, so dont blame people who need hope.

"USA is the leadership of the planet" See your stin..king mouth!

1 Like

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Ibidi: 11:43pm On Nov 08, 2016
It is human nature to take sides in things. Just like say u support Enugu Rangers fanatically when their winning or losing will not affect your life in any way. So it is not just Nigerians, people all over the world are into US presidential election
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 08, 2016
Full display of ignorance as regards world politics by the OP.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by ademasta(m): 11:44pm On Nov 08, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by linearity: 11:46pm On Nov 08, 2016
This is a very naive and ignorant question...Nigeria andNigerians have a deep shared interest in what happens in the US, as it will affect us all.

No doubt, America is the most powerful country on earth today, with far reaching influence over many other countries than other powerful countries.

By analogy, the smaller trees should and must be concern about what happens to the big iroko tree in its mix.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Nov 08, 2016
mrvitalis:
Seriously why should i care if Americans elect a fish or cow as president??
do u know why u should care? The simple truth is dat the world is now a mini village. A singular event in one country can change the entire world. Decades ago we neva witnessed high Islamic insurgency, but today threat of al-qaeda, Isis in Arab nations sprang up various terrorist groups world over. Whether you like it or not boko haram is affecting u and me either directly or indirectly. Failed financial and economic and military policies in America and other first world societies about a decade or so led to huge financial crisis world over.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by ReubenE(m): 11:47pm On Nov 08, 2016
Some guys are just too emotional here.
Nigerians have no opinion in American politics so we should stop acting as if we do. We can only observe as events unfold.
How do we claim to have opinion when it does not have a corresponding effect on who becomes the president. Public opinion is not formed in this manner.
Nigerians are just ridiculous by trying to export their bitter type of politics beyond the shores of the country. I advise that we focus more on making Nigeria great

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Shaadey: 11:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
Infact ehn
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by LorDBolton(m): 11:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
The OP tonye typifies the stupidity of our forefathers.

The mark of great nations is they pay attention n participate in global events.

These ones are telling us to focus on nigeria like naija is running away.

Both candidates have polarized policies which will have a very direct impact on nigeria & the mumu is asking us not to be concerned n air our opinions which could/could not INFLUENCE voters in america?

To tonye n those supporting his dull opinion google to see how "active" people from Australasia. To europe are tweeting like mad.

U ignorantly mentioned empires rise, empires fall metioning greece,rome,germany etc did u even observe the TURMOIL that followed their fall b4 decades later the world recalibrated?

Smh 4 africans

5 Likes

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by cr7lomo: 11:50pm On Nov 08, 2016
Trump will be triumphant

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by ReubenE(m): 11:52pm On Nov 08, 2016
linearity:
This is a very naive and ignorant question...Nigeria andNigerians have a deep shared interest in what happens in the US, as it will affect us all.

No doubt, America is the most powerful country on earth today, with far reaching influence over many other countries than other powerful countries.

By analogy, the smaller trees should and must be concern about what happens to the big iroko tree in its mix.
the iroko may also fall without going down with any of the smaller once.
Thinking about d iroko shouldn't stop d smaller once from doing what they are suppose to do
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Nov 08, 2016
You guys that keep saying this shit are so freaking annoying. .. America affects everyone's lives one way or the other so stfu. . . I'm pretty sure when Rome was the world power people watched fervently anytime a new Emperor was going to be chosen. . . The Bush Administration neglected Nigeria, the Obama admin was terrible towards us until Buhari came into power, and now we're all watching because it affects us in one way or the other. The US is on the United Nations security council, and based on Nigerian's perception of the next President, whoever is put there could be a major help to fight insurgency all over the world which also means defeating Boko Haram. If you don't think it affects you fine, go home and drink garri, leave us alone. Something is trending all over the world, I'm pretty sure from Russia to Brazil to Australia, everybody is watching and you're here trying to act cool by saying we should not have an opinion . . . Abeg swerve jare. Nigeria is even the African country with the most American residents, so more than any other African country, we have our relatives, our families living there. . . I for one have lots of family members living in the United States. The next American president means different things to different people. So stop saying this bs, its really annoying

7 Likes

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by sukkot: 11:58pm On Nov 08, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by checkolatunji: 11:59pm On Nov 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Exactly!

During Brexit, you will never see Americans worrying themselves about the decision of the British because their say is irrelevant. But Nigerians think a Trump will help fight Buhari or a Clinton will become the financier of APC. I don't just get

Bro true Americans worried less about Brexit but Obama campaign against it, though he didn't came out directly, so as some other world leaders. But I do agree with some of your point.

Safe
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by mpowa(m): 12:01am On Nov 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Empire rise, empire fall. Yesterday it was Greek, later it became Rome, then British became very powerful, at a point Germany was like all powerful, USSR too was, today USA is. If USA makes wrong decision, they will GIVE WAY for a new superpower. That has no business on the rest of the world including NIGERIA.

@The Bold, you are ignorant or unexposed

Today it is US, so we pay attention to it. When the empire changes, we would move with it also, that's how it works. There will always be a center of the world and presently, it is the US. To a certain extent, what happens in the US would affect us because they have policies for countries in the world, we also have our citizens there that if anything affect them, it affects us - now i've heard people say they should come back home, come back home to where? Join the recession? at least some people should be out there and be helping those at home in this tough time.
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by tosyne2much(m): 12:01am On Nov 09, 2016
How come I just got to notice this wonderful write-up by Prof TonyeBarcanista?

You have said it all sir. Respect!
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Joe171(m): 12:03am On Nov 09, 2016
Almost everyday does a colleague of mine talk and disturb me with this USA election, for my mind, I'm like wetin concern me? why should I be concerned about America when naija needs to be fixed?

1 Like

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by kinibigdeal(m): 12:03am On Nov 09, 2016
Never knew you were this ignorant on the effect of american leadership on Nigerian interest.

TonyeBarcanista:
On August 11, 2008, Madam Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, the Chairperson of Nigeria Stock Exchange organised a fundraising dinner to support United States Presidential hopeful and Democrat Nominee, Senator Barrack Obama. In the said event that was help in Lagos, more than $630,000 (N94.5 Million) was raised to support Obama's candidacy. This event was held WITHOUT approval of Mr Obama, and also it was against the laws of America. Organisers held the event at a point when the average Nigeria could not boast of $2 in a day. In fact, Obama eventually won, but Nigeria got no special benefit of his Presidency. He was elected as the President of United States of America, and not anywhere else.

Like 2008, Nigerians are now concerned about the forthcoming USA Presidential contest between Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat Nominee Hilary Clinton.

In fact, I have seen various facebook pages, whatsapp groups and those of other forum run by Nigerians to solicit support for either of the candidates. It is ironical that most of these Clinton/Trump campaigners have never left the shores of Nigeria since they were born not to talk of possessing the right to vote in America. Some of them that are residents in America are either temporal residents or illegal residents. The negligible few that are citizens of America don't disturb the peace of Nigerians with the Trump/Clinton noise as they are concerned with their lives there.

It was laughable to read a piece that quoted Prof Wole Soyinka of threateing to destroy his American Green Card should Trump get elected. I laughed and ask, does Soyinka opinion or emotional feelngs now important in the scheme of things in America? Of what value is his Green Card to the American economy or even an average American? "na who even know Soyinka for America? Which American has his Green card helped for him to assume that Americans will be swayed by his emotional preference?

Though I am not for spiting Wole Soyinka or any Nigerian, but I think it is embarrassing for Nigerians to leave important pressing issues at home front just to appear important by joining the American campaign when their sermon are targeted at Nigerians with no single voting value in America. Beside, the emergence of either candidate will not help Nigeria out of recession. Americans are for America's interest, Nigerians should concern about Nigeria's interest.

A friend once told me that USA election affects the world, my reply to him was, same with the election of Nigeria, but should USA make wrong decision, they will bear the consequences and go down for another to rise. Same is applicable to every countries.

Finally my compatriots, let the truth be told, our opinion as Nigerians and non America citizens DOES NOT count in the American election. Let us at least learn to mind our business. I will end with two portions of the Bible:

"Interfering in someone else’s argument is as foolish as yanking a dog’s ears."- Proverbs 26:17

"Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands, just as we instructed you before."- 1 Thessalonians 4:11

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

Shaered on Palmchat Social Network

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by NaLaugh: 12:04am On Nov 09, 2016
cr7lomo:
Trump will be triumphant

It's way too early to go by current exit polling. There's still a minimum of 2 voting hours left at this time.

Hillary got my vote. My state is a very blue state, so there isn't a remote chance for Trump to win here.
The way I see it, Hillary will win the general election, but not by a wide margin.

I'm just happy this nonsense is nearly over. This has been the most toxic election season we've had - ever.

Most of us who voted Hillary aren't exactly excited about her, she just happens to be the better option. By a lot, but still.

@topic

As for Nigerians in Nigeria being interested. If they're interested, that isn't inherently bad, as long as it's limited to watching the news and such.
However, it only gets ridiculous if they engage beyond that, e.g forming groups or campaigning on behalf of any candidate.

As for Wole Soyinka, he only references his "green card." Which means he can't vote.
A green card holder is a resident, and not a citizen. Only citizens can vote.
I guess that's just his way of saying he can't live in a nation run by Trump.

Anyway, to each his own. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Princy13: 12:04am On Nov 09, 2016
Billyonaire:
USA is the leadership of the planet earth in my head, if I am on earth and I am not interested in the leadership of the earth, then I am ignorant of the real history of the planet and the direction of the dynamics. The cosmos influence that determines the direction of the planet is a geared towards global leadership. And not the great africa. I dont even remember tuning to Nigeria TV station in the last many years because I am a GOAT. I only tune to CNN and Sky News. I no get liver to tune to Nigerian TV,because I am a coward and unpatrotic. I wear funny caps inside house and MY sister wear hijab. I am so confused.I wear cap indoors and I am a slowpoke.

We are sovereign , no blames.

ding-a-ling angry
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by checkolatunji: 12:09am On Nov 09, 2016
EternalTruths:

You are wrong.

Clinton frustrated the desire of Jonathan to see BH tagged FTO for a long time

Whom do you think influenced Obama's government to frustrate Jonathan from buying weapons from our Western allies that forced Jonathan to go to the black market

Bro GEJ could have easily bought weapon from Russia or China. They are super powers too and they have it in abundance.

Safe
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by sirfee(m): 12:10am On Nov 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
I am not a Syrian, I am not a Libyan, I don't give a damn. Beside, I am only after the interest of Nigeria.
you don't give a damn but I saw some bible verses in your article,later una go dey claim christians.Surely you are happy with the events in Libya,Syria etc I respect you so much but this statement you made is so annoying
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by AAinEqGuinea: 12:16am On Nov 09, 2016
You cant, and it'd be foolish, to isolate oneself from the world. But you're right in the sense that no man should ever neglect his home while obsessing over others. I could be wrong, but based solely on what I've seen I think most Nigerians handle the balance.

I'm not Nigerian but I enjoy and welcome their foreign insights. Nigeria has to be a world player, but first they must deal with a Buhari et al problem. Who am I telling, you know this. I love Nigeria for not being a blacked-out country in terms of advanced technology that connects it to the world. Glad to have Nigeria apart of the globalist movement cool
[img]http://heavyeditorial.files./2014/11/advanced-warfare-comeback-map.png[/img]

To be reminded, the US and its citizens played a huge role in disseminating disinformation to Britain and the world to ultimately influence and swing the outcome of Brexit. I'm still laughing at Britain on how they were played by radicalized memes. But what wasnt funny was that such memes showed some practicality when warning Britain/EU about radicalized Islam. Not all are bad, but it only takes a few. Trump is a (Russian) meme too, so the laugh is on us now.

1 Like

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Hiringu: 12:16am On Nov 09, 2016
Opinions everywhere. cool
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Masterchef(m): 12:18am On Nov 09, 2016
The American presidential election remains a tight race and ALL candidates will lift America further. People all over the world are only at liberty to comment and make noise but to no effect. In the final analysis, this is only about the many good Americans who will vote for both main candidates
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by Lordave: 12:18am On Nov 09, 2016
Ajixegun:

You are a brainwashed african who always think without western aids Africans will not survive. SMH for u
Though you just misconstrued him, but how on earth, I mean, do you have any idea, can you list ways you think Africans will survive without western aid?

2 Likes

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by felixomor: 12:22am On Nov 09, 2016
There is nothing wrong about having opinions.

Moreover, the fact that america can determine the price of your crude oil in dollars should motivate you to have an opinion in their election.
Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by dhsfbi(m): 12:23am On Nov 09, 2016
Na wa for naija oooo, is it now a crime to discuss global affairs. US Presidential election is been discussed even in the first world country, the UN is moving very fast to put the fight against climate change in motiin because a President Trump might dismantle it. And yet you still think who Americans elected is their business.

Anyways, my own Facebook page is full of update about the election and I will keep it updated till the electoral college votes has been counted and the President-elect and vice President elect have been chosen.

You can call me all sort of names, that won't stop me.

1 Like

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by freecocoa(f): 12:24am On Nov 09, 2016
Nigeria goes to the US to seek aid and someone is asking why Nigerians should have an opinion on the next POTUS?

I can understand being vexed at holding mock elections and fundraising but on being interested in the news? Nah OP don't be an ignoramus please.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by sukkot: 12:24am On Nov 09, 2016
Billyonaire:

I cant believe you are not ashamed to continue this thread.

Young man, have you heard that the world is a global village ? I and many other people consider ourselves citizens of the world. Some of us have investments in other countries and we really care who manages the global economy and global politics. I can understand that you are stucked here so your view of events are parochial and localized. I am again, asking you to put blanket on your reasoning. We are not the same. I am not on your bracket and you are not on mine. Even your politicians run to the West every now and then for advise. We are bothered about global leadership and who and who has access to the nuclear weapons. So please, I know your concern is about food, shelter and clothings so Nigerian leadership is all you are birthed to swallow. As for me and other Nigerians, we know what America represent, and we believe with time, you will realize how ignorant this your opinion is.

[b]bros as learned as you purport yourself to be i cant believe you actually think whomever is SELECTED for american presidency will change any policies they have. you do know in america what they have is an illusion of democracy and the two parties are supplied by the people who control the money and the federal reserve. the election is just a charade to give the plebeians and peons a sense of belonging but in actuality both parties formulate the same policies and work for the same people. the stupid issues they argue about during campaign has nothing to do with peoples lives eg gay rights and women rights etc etc. point being if you think an empire gets as great as america by basing their leadership on the votes of the 300 million dummies who mostly vote on stupid personal interests and some even base their votes on who is more handsome etc etc, if you think an empire gets great by electing its leaders based on the vote of 300 million dummies, then you need a real lesson in world politics. what america has is an illusion of democracy but in actuality it is a dictatorship. they give the 300 million peons an illusion of inclusion by staging this election charade every 4 years. [/b]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by freecocoa(f): 12:27am On Nov 09, 2016
neocortex:
@Toyebarcanista, It makes sense that Nigerians are showing interest in US elections.
Consider the fact that many Nigerians are undocumented immigrants
in the US.
Lmao. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Trump Vs Clinton: When Did Nigerians Start Having Opinion In American Politics? by sirfee(m): 12:29am On Nov 09, 2016
LARRYDKING:

U don't care about Lybia and Syria? U lack simple logic of correct reasoning.
this are the same set of people you see in churches on sunday or in a mosque on friday preaching about love,forgiveness,peace etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

US Warships Shadowed In South China Sea By Military Vessels ( Pics) / Esther Agbaje, Oye Owolewa, Nnamdi Chukwuocha Win In U.S 2020 Elections / Neighbor Shot Dead NYC Dad And Son During Argument Over Noise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.