Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters (1746 Views)

Kwankwaso Supporters Decamp To Gandujiyya Movement, Burn Their Red Caps(photos) / Abiapoly: Unraveling The Monsters Behind The Conundrum / Remi Tinubu Supporters Protesting In Ikeja, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by fineboynl(m): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2016
By Moses Ochonu

Donald Trump has Nigerian supporters and they are very vocal on social media. They troll Nigerians and Nigerians in the diaspora who support and plan to vote for Hillary Clinton. They are hard to ignore because they are worked up over the election and are fanatically committed to hating Clinton or getting Trump elected, or both. I’ve been observing and studying their strange antics and have come to a conclusion about their varied motives. The following list is not exhaustive but it captures, in my opinion, the major strands of the Nigerian pro-Trump phenomenon.

1. In the first category are those who are simply ignorant of what the vile, racist demagogue stands for. It doesn’t help that there is a lot of falsehood on social media and on the Internet generally about what Trump has done and what he will do. I have even come across several items on my Facebook newsfeed about how Trump has promised to “actualize Biafra,” how Trump would crush Boko Haram, how Trump made this or that statement about Nigerians and Africans — all of them false memes generated by Internet junkies on fringe sits with political agendas targeting the uninformed and lazy. If you look hard enough you’ll find on the Internet that Barack Obama is an alien from another planet and that the moon landing never happened. Some Nigerians wittingly or unwittingly share false information from far-right and racist websites on Facebook. Some shares are from the conspiracy website, Infowars, which, among other outlandish claims, peddle the notion that the September 11 attack was the work of the U.S government and that the killing of Osama bin Laden was a hoax. These shares regularly appear on my timeline. To me they are a minor irritation; to others they are credible information.

2. The second category comprises Nigerians who know but don’t care that Trump is a bombastic conman, a narcissistic, know-nothing racist, and a sexist xenophobe to boot. This group is the most perplexing because it requires a measure of self hate and/or cognitive dissonance to support a guy who combines xenophobia with a long history of disdain for blacks and Hispanics. Given the disdain of some Nigerians for research and history, it is possible that some in this category are simply not aware of the depth and span of Trump’s racism, xenophobia, and sexism, or his propensity for mocking the disabled and for petty insults and infantile tantrums.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by fineboynl(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2016
3. Category three is made up of Nigerians who identify with Trump’s strongman, fascistic tendencies and pronouncements. Some people are seduced by braggadocio and bluster. Some of these Nigerians won’t admit it but they see themselves in Trump. Others see a world in turmoil and yearn for a measure of order that they assume only a tough, Mafioso type leader can provide. This phenomenon is playing out in several parts of the world. In an unstable and uncertain world, citizens of several countries have embraced tough-talking, rigid, extreme political figures that several years ago would probably have been dismissed as unviable candidates. India’s Modi; Egypt’s el-Sisi; Nigeria’s Buhari; Turkey’s Erdogan — these are all so-called strong men whose firm, if counterproductive, certitude and showy display of nationalistic fervor have catapulted them to, or consolidated them in, their countries’ presidencies. The same potent mix of ultra-nationalist sentiment and a cult-like belief in a strongman’s capacity to restore the nation’s pride and solve its problems is at work in certain sections of America that fanatically support Trump. Ironically, many of Trump’s Nigerian supporters never supported Buhari. Conversely, many Nigerians who supported Buhari because of his strongman nationalist posturing against the “weak” Jonathan are opposed to Trump. This last position is not necessarily an inconsistent one as people in this camp of Buhari- supporting but Trump-opposing Nigerians are likely to be Muslims who are turned off by Trump’s Islamophobia, or people repulsed by his racist rhetoric.

2 Likes

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by fineboynl(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2016
4. The fourth category comprises Nigerians who, as embarrassing as it is to admit it, actually agree with Trump’s Islamophobia, his Muslim ban, and his blustery talk about “Islamic terrorism.” Here, in this category, you will see some Nigerians who are using the prism of Nigeria’s bitter religious politics to cultivate an attitude toward the US presidential election. For them, Trump is the solution to the global problem of Islamist terrorism and extremism, never mind that the candidate is woefully uninformed about Islam, the Middle East, and the Islamic world generally and knows even less about antiterrorism policy. Some Nigerians in this group channel their antipathy towards Boko Haram and towards Nigerian Muslims they believe share the blame for the rise of Boko Haram into supporting the candidate they see as being tougher on terrorism. I should add here that many Nigerian urban households now get the Right Wing US news network, FOX News, which is essentially an arm of the Republican Party and of Donald Trump’s campaign. Their attitude to the election has been partly shaped by FOX News. It was during the 2012 that I came to know about FOX’s presence on Nigerian cable TV offerings. A few weeks before the election, an Obama-supporting prominent Northern Nigerian journalist frantically called a Nigerian friend of hers in Atlanta asking if what she was hearing on FOX News about Obama was true and almost tearfully asking if it was true that Obama was headed for certain defeat. This friend spent a great deal of time lecturing her on the political loyalties of FOX, on its genealogy and ideological commitments, and on the true picture of the election campaigns. It was a big relief for her, a relief that Obama’s victory confirmed a few weeks later. In the same period, a cousin of mine also relayed what he had been hearing on FOX News to me, but in his own case, he said he was suspicious of the network and wondered why they were so biased against Obama and so intent on smearing him. Because he was already a skeptical watcher of FOX it didn’t take me long to confirm his suspicions and point him in the direction of more objective coverage of the election.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by fineboynl(m): 8:40pm On Nov 07, 2016
5. Category five contains Nigerians whose attitude to the US presidential election is refracted through the lens of Nigeria’s politics, specifically the lingering emotions of the 2015 presidential elections. In this category are many supporters of former president Goodluck Jonathan and detractors of president Buhari, who detest the Obama administration’s cold disposition toward Jonathan and its barely disguised support for Buhari’s candidacy. In the calculus of these Nigerian Trump supporters, it is payback time, time to humiliate Obama by defeating Hillary. 6. The sixth category is populated by gullible, impressionable Nigerian Christians who listen to and watch American right-wing radio and TV broadcasts. Most of these misguided Christians are from my own Evangelical/Pentecostal constituency and are naively drawn to US Evangelical political rhetoric without acquainting themselves with the political and cultural roots of such rhetoric. They are drinking the Kool-Aid of the American religious Right. To these Nigerians, Clinton (and by extension Obama) is too cozy with Muslims and not sufficiently Christian, precisely the rhetoric of the U.S. right wing. Conversely, for reasons that are known only to them, and contrary to all the available evidence, they regard Trump as a warrior for Christianity, the savior of a supposedly endangered Judeo- Christian civilization. This is an expansive category. My first introduction to this strange emotional alliance of Nigerian Evangelical and Pentecostal Christians and the U.S religious Right was during the 2012 election cycle when a relative of mine called me to ask if it was true that Obama was the antichrist and had begun forcing Americans to be implanted with 666-numbered chips on their foreheads to signify their allegiance to him. A quick search on the Internet gave me the source of his misinformation, which apparently had spread in his church and in his Christian circle. The fictional nonsense emanated from fringe, extremist Right Wing and Christian Right websites, and from a dark part of the Internet that is now associated with white supremacy and he Pseudo-Christian politics of the so-called alt-right. I spent at least one hour on the phone reeducating and disabusing my relative of the falsehood. In Nigeria today, thanks to the relative democratization of Satellite broadcasting technology and the globalization of mass media, many households have cable TV packages that come with several American Evangelical and Christian Right channels, including CBN, TBN, and others, where they are fed a steady diet of politicized gospel, apocalyptic nonsense, and anti- Obama, anti-Clinton talking points and inventions. They regard this information as gospel truth and are too lazy or too loyal to their TV Evangelists to verify what they are being told or to crosscheck the outlandish claims against the Bible in their hands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by fineboynl(m): 8:41pm On Nov 07, 2016
7. The final category comprises Nigerians who, far from being repulsed by Trump’s reputation as a con artist, artful tax dodger, and serial scammer, actually admire him for precisely those reasons, for what Trump himself says are a mark of his smartness. Unfortunately, some Nigerians, like some Americans, actually admire Trump for being a slick, litigious, and shady businessman who has managed to avoid getting into serious legal trouble despite operating outside or on the edge of the law for decades. It is the same kind of admiration that some people have for mob and mafia bosses and figures.

Fortunately for those of us who live and work in the U.S, know what’s at stake, and have American children whose lives and futures will be impacted by the outcome this election, the vast majority of these Trump-supporting Nigerians cannot vote and in fact are simply cyber noisemakers who buy data and log onto Facebook from their abodes in Nigeria to snipe at Hillary and those of us who support and love her.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by DickDastardly(m): 8:42pm On Nov 07, 2016
Moses Ochonu read my lips slowly ..... F.V.C.K Y.O.U!!!

3 Likes

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by ojun50(m): 8:43pm On Nov 07, 2016
Lady F pls am hungry wht on fire
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by fineboynl(m): 8:46pm On Nov 07, 2016
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by jerrywool: 9:14pm On Nov 07, 2016
How can you leave out those category of people who support Trump because they believe he will send many Nigerians back home to join in the recession party. grin

3 Likes

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by BiafraBushBoy(m): 9:20pm On Nov 07, 2016
Most of them are Igbos, who have cultivated Hatred for Buhari and channeling it to support trump!! A man that is a known racist and advent hater of minorities.

I wonder if they believe in the propaganda that trump will help bring biaf*a... bullshit!!!

Trump might win, but it will lead to something more bigger...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by carboblanko(m): 9:27pm On Nov 07, 2016
Very apt. Some folks can really be gullible and never make an effort to verify some of the nonsense that is posted on the Internet. Yes people have choices. But Trump? I think not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by orimsamsam(m): 9:36pm On Nov 07, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:
Most of them are Igbos, who have cultivated Hatred for Buhari and channeling it to support trump!! A man that is a known racist and advent hater of minorities.

I wonder if they believe in the propaganda that trump will help bring biaf*a... bullshit!!!

bro were are u from

1 Like

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 07, 2016
Association of bad belles grin
jerrywoolpost=50850098:
How can you leave out those category of people who support Trump because they believe he will send many Nigerians back home to join in the recession party. grin
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by Nobody: 10:36pm On Nov 07, 2016
I AM WITH HER kiss

1 Like

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by mensdept: 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2016
Look at all the grammer the OP used to say basically nothing at all LOL.

Trump may win and be the next Presido of Yankee. Probably then, "nigerians" will not be going there to give birth for blue passport for pikin
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 07, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

we have heard now gerrout!

4 Likes

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by PaulIdu: 11:42pm On Nov 07, 2016
Only very smart Nigerians would know that the greatest enemy Africa has ever had is Hillary Clinton..she has directly or indirectly funded Islamic terror groups on all continent for reasons best known own to her . She might end up winning the race but the the truth remains that a Trump presidency will pay Africa better on the overall
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by BiafraBushBoy(m): 9:23am On Nov 08, 2016
orimsamsam:
bro were are u from
Abum onye Enugu...
042 born and brought up!!!
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by 989900D: 9:31am On Nov 08, 2016
The foolery and ignorance of most pro-Drumpf commenters -- gosh!

The only thing worse than Trump contesting for president is, simpletons who actually support the 'retarded-tax-evading-pompous-pussy grabbing-racist-divisional-deluded-bankrupt-lying-con'.

P.S. Hillary wins today by at the minimum, 330 electoral votes (should/could be more, but some people would vote for the devil even, as long as he is contesting as a 'republitard').

ATEOTD, sane Americans won't just clown away their lives.

3 Likes

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by juman(m): 10:08am On Nov 08, 2016
Hillary going to win.

Mama for president.

Madam president.

1 Like

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by orimsamsam(m): 12:35pm On Nov 08, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Abum onye Enugu...

042 born and brought up!!!
ur Igbo is different
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by neocortex: 12:52pm On Nov 08, 2016
PaulIdu:
Only very smart Nigerians would know that the greatest enemy Africa has ever had is Hillary Clinton..she has directly or indirectly funded Islamic terror groups on all continent for reasons best known own to her . She might end up winning the race but the the truth remains that a Trump presidency will pay Africa better on the overall

Yes conspiracy theorists believe they are smart and possess
secret knowledge when in fact they are nothing but dummies
who are easily fooled with baseless memes and rhetorics.

1 Like

Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 08, 2016
All the OP wrote can be summarized as thus: All trump's Nigerian supporters are IPOB yoots. Simple
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by BiafraBushBoy(m): 1:45pm On Nov 08, 2016
orimsamsam:
ur Igbo is different

Enugu Igbo is always different.. Don't you listen to phyno?/

Anyi na enye nsogbu smiley
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by orimsamsam(m): 1:55pm On Nov 08, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Enugu Igbo is always different.. Don't you listen to phyno?/

Anyi na enye nsogbu
smiley
lolz wht the meaning.
Re: Unraveling The “mystery” Of Donald Trump’s Nigerian Supporters by BiafraBushBoy(m): 1:58pm On Nov 08, 2016
orimsamsam:
lolz wht the meaning.

We are Troublesome... Literally.. cheesy

We dey give trouble

We dey cause Trouble... cheesy cheesy

Igbo Boys Movement cool

(1) (Reply)

Restructuring Is The Solution To Ethnic And Religious Crisis - Jonathan / Briggs, Others Seek 100% Resource Control By South-south, South-east. / See The Way Pdp Defended Senate President Saraki On The Alleged Robbery Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.