Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua (4490 Views)

Blame Obasanjo For Yar’adua, Jonathan’s Failure — Bakare / Soludo: Decision Time For Yar’adua / My Fear For Yar’adua, By Pastor Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 3:59am On Oct 31, 2009
Niger Delta: Senate rejects Nobel prize for Yar’Adua
By Emmanuel Aziken & Inalegwu Shaibu
Friday, October 30, 2009
Abuja—The Senate yesterday praised President Umaru Yar’Adua for his peace initiatives in the Niger Delta region but rejected attempts to nominate him for a Nobel Peace prize for the effort.

The Senate’s resolution followed a motion moved by 56 senators who commended the President’s initiatives in restoring peace to the hitherto restive Niger Delta region.

A prayer to recommend him for the Nobel Peace prize was, however, rejected on the argument that it was an international award.

Moving the motion yesterday, Senator Nimi Barigha-Amange (PDP, Bayelsa East), noted that the region was for nine years under the siege of militant groups fighting for a share of its oil wealth.

He said the armed struggle was because of the neglect of the region which has suffered great environmental degradation as a result of oil exploration.

He noted that Yar’Adua was able to quell the agitations and disarm the militants without blood as against armed confrontations by previous governments.

The motion was supported by the senators.

Among them were Grace Bent (PDP, Adamawa South), Victor Ndoma-Egba (PDP, Cross River Central), Nkechi Nwaogu (PDP, Abia Central), Joseph Akargerger (PDP, Benue), Uche Chukwumerije (PPA, Abia North), Tanko Ayuba (PDP, Kebbi), Nicholas Ugbane (PDP, Kogi East)and Eme Ufot-Ekaette (PDP, Akwa Ibom South).

Supporting the motion, Chukwumerije said: “When you thank a person for a good job, he would do more. Yar’Adua’s regime has restored peace in the Niger Delta region. For the peace to be lasting, two steps must be taken including aggressive approach to development of the area.

Ekaette, who commended the President’s peace initiatives, however, expressed concern that the arms submitted by the converted militants was only a fraction of arms in the region.

Senator Ndoma-Egba called for urgent steps to develop the region, noting that the agitation was provoked by ill-feelings arising from perceptions that Abuja was developed at the expense of the oil-bearing region.

He called for a cocktail of goodwill, good fate and political will to sustain the peace in the region.

Ayuba said: “For nine years, the Niger Delta region has been a cause of concern to this country. There is no doubt that the main wealth of this country lies in the region. It is not only in the Niger Delta that we have proliferation of arms. This feat should be extended to other parts of the country where we have proliferation of arms

“I want the government to embark on massive housing programmes in the area which should be completed within nine months.

The prayer to nominate Yar’Adua for the Nobel Peace prize was amended to remove the nomination for a Nobel on the fact that the prize was an international award.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/30/302.html
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by Nobody: 4:13am On Oct 31, 2009
It appears those senators are on a bid to be Yaradua's favorite. Nonsense.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 4:19am On Oct 31, 2009
Do we award Nobel prize in Nigeria now?. I am confused.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by sjeezy8: 4:28am On Oct 31, 2009

Among them were Grace Bent (PDP, Adamawa South), Victor Ndoma-Egba (PDP, Cross River Central), Nkechi Nwaogu (PDP, Abia Central), Joseph Akargerger (PDP, Benue), Uche Chukwumerije (PPA, Abia North), Tanko Ayuba (PDP, Kebbi), Nicholas Ugbane (PDP, Kogi East)and Eme Ufot-Ekaette (PDP, Akwa Ibom South).

Senator Nimi Barigha-Amange (PDP, Bayelsa East), noted that the region was for nine years under the siege of militant groups fighting for a share of its oil wealth.

he gave the senators and co.  esp from that region hush money in billions of naira now they want to kiss ass and still dont have 100% resource control. Some people can blame problems on other regions but the matter still remains the same, account for their own govt.

rubbish nobel prize ko, oscar award ni
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 4:49am On Oct 31, 2009
Did they dub the idea from Obama's Nobel prize or what?. Is this not the same senate who suggested Nigeria should give Obama an award for getting democratic presidential nomination. Nigeria is a joke.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by mustafar1: 4:55am On Oct 31, 2009
awon atoo le oshi. . .olori gbigbe bi eja dindin
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 5:01am On Oct 31, 2009
Speak english. This is not vernacular board.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by mustafar1: 5:18am On Oct 31, 2009
kilon so? Vernacular? Geesi(English) ni Vernacular mi? ti ko ba dun mo e ni nu lo gbe placard ko protest.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 9:01am On Oct 31, 2009
Have some respect for others who can neither read nor write your language plz. If everybody starts writing in vernacular, will you enjoy this tread?
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by MrCrackles(m): 9:09am On Oct 31, 2009
must_a_far:

awon atoo le oshi. . .olori gbigbe bi eja dindin
must_a_far:

kilon so? Vernacular? Geesi(English) ni Vernacular mi? ti ko ba dun mo e ni nu lo gbe placard ko protest.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by Duduknight(m): 9:36am On Oct 31, 2009
must_a_far:

This is a public board for all; please share your views in a language understood by all. Thanks
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by SapeleGuy: 10:25am On Oct 31, 2009
These are some of the senators in permanaent exile in Abuja. Fear no dey let them go their constituency.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by cvibe: 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2009
Nobel peace prize for Yar Adua?
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by Ibime(m): 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2009
Is the peace in Niger-Delta secured?
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by semid4lyfe(m): 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2009
Na wa o! Naija no dey dissapoint in terms of comedy.

Yaradua only deserves to be nominated as the dullest president in the world and nothing else.

Utter rubbish!
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by theviper1: 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2009
why not give him an award for the most sick and  confused head of state? are these so-called senators permanently on some cheap drugs or is it too much time and money on their hands? may the Lord save our souls.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 4:57pm On Oct 31, 2009
Ibime:

Is the peace in Niger-Delta secured?

According to our senators o. Very soon they will start handing out Grammy awards to Nigerian musicians. grin
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by mrperfect(m): 5:12pm On Oct 31, 2009
Let us wait first.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by mustafar1: 5:16pm On Oct 31, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Have some respect for others who can neither read nor write your language plz. If everybody starts writing in vernacular, will you enjoy this tread?

Duduknight:

This is a public board for all; please share your views in a language understood by all. Thanks

wat i wrote sounds better and gets the message across more in the language its written in. this vernacular aka english wouldnt do wat i had to say any justice.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by victorazy(m): 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2009
Do we have President in this country
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 31, 2009
What a nonsense razzmatazz by this syconphantic senate! By the way who told them the peace is a lasting one when development of the regoin is yet to start. They are all gearing up seeking for favours and aligning themselves to be renomination to the senate seat come 2011. See them, brainless. Waste a time for a good debate and passage of FOI bill and other better things to talk about in Naija wahala. They didnt even know in the first place Nobel Prize is an International Award? Well I dont blame u guys. It is your turn. I just hope my turns comes up fast to follow chop this Naija money in this dirty politics! (Hissing)!!!!
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by tunde300us(m): 5:57pm On Oct 31, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen of NL ,pls join me in nominating the senate as participant for next years NIGHT OF A THOUSAND LAUGH !!! and when they re tru we will then nominate the presido for MOBO awards grin
I am sure opa williams will agree with me,but i dont know how he will pay them
Cos dis senators no dey spend naira again and if dem wan collect naira it has to be in ghana must go.
Nija i hail thee !
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by AloyEmeka6: 5:59pm On Oct 31, 2009
tunde300us:

Ladies and Gentlemen of NL ,pls join me in nominating the senate as participant for next years NIGHT OF A THOUSAND LAUGH !!! and when they re tru we will then nominate the presido for MOBO awards grin
I am sure opa williams will agree with me,but i dont know how he will pay them 
Cos dis senators no dey spend naira again and if dem wan collect naira it has to be in ghana must go.
Nija i hail thee !

LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by eros(m): 6:07pm On Oct 31, 2009
Nobel peace prize for that sick bastard, milking this country dry. These Senators are jokers. God, i wish i could get 5 more guys like myself and just blow up the damn House of Senate with them suckers all up in there. I bet, it will restore some sanity to the country and keep off others who think they can continue to play the masses around like football.

God Bless Nigeria
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 31, 2009
nominate ke,  they should buy it as usual,  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by aieromon(m): 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2009
Stupidity truly runs in Abuja's corridors of power angry
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by slimes(m): 6:32pm On Oct 31, 2009
It looks like they want an award for doing their job.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by blaksril(m): 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2009
Yes ohhhhh!!! Nobel Peace Prize, bunch of jokers(our leaders) sad
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 31, 2009
So na mumu person like umaru cum deserve nobel prize? Prof wole soyinka et others won it on merits&achievements.Tell me d thing this mumu don achieve in 2yrs.power we no get,for lagos now scarcity of fuel dey happen.he neva achieve 1/2 agenda out of 7points
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by atilla(m): 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2009
Since the nobel peace prize is international, they should nominate him for DSTV or HITV award.

these people should get down to serious business and stop joking around.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by leye1234(m): 8:56pm On Oct 31, 2009
@poster
This is a joke. I LAUGH in Hausa, oops! I mean ibo, sorry people I was going to say Yoruba. What the HELL, WAZOBIA.
Re: Senate Rejects Nobel Prize Nomination For Yar’adua by adconline(m): 9:20pm On Oct 31, 2009
this is second term agenda in disguise

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forgive Major Hamza Al-mustapha? / P H C N Sold To 18 Companies. Good Or Bad Idea? / Al Mustapha Death Sentence: Its Long Overdue. Hafsat Abiola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.