Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

What Is Christian Meditation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Christian Meditation? (845 Views)

Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists / What Is Christian Reconciliation? Why Do We Need To Be Reconciled With God? / What Is Christian Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Christian Meditation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
How is Christian meditation different from meditation in other religions? Is meditating compatible with Christianity?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 08, 2016
Christian meditation focuses on God. It is dome by thinking on his word, personality, etc

Other forms of meditation focus on vain things, like a spot in the surrounding, a thought or voice. its basically a form of self absorption and draws attention to ones self.

I stand to be corrected by people who have seen otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by Scholar8200(m): 7:12pm On Nov 08, 2016
Christian meditation focuses God via His Word and brings a release of man to God's Power.

Other meditations focuses on man and endeavours, by certain preternatural props , to stir up certain latent abilities whereby those mentioned aid the usage thereof in ways by no means advantageous.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by malvisguy212: 5:27pm On Nov 10, 2016
Scholar8200:
Christian meditation focuses God via His Word and brings a release of man to God's Power.

Other meditations focuses on man and endeavours, by certain preternatural props , to stir up certain latent abilities whereby those mentioned aid the usage thereof in ways by no means advantageous.
hello bro, long time.
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by Scholar8200(m): 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2016
malvisguy212:
hello bro, long time.
Indeed, where have you been?
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by skeendyke: 6:08pm On Nov 10, 2016
After a long time being away from this section, I must say I'm very glad to see the faces of Scholar8200 and Malvisguy212. It is really great to see you both. smiley
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by Scholar8200(m): 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
skeendyke:
After a long time being away from this section, I must say I'm very glad to see the faces of Scholar8200 and Malvisguy212. It is really great to see you both. smiley
Thanks a lot.
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by malvisguy212: 5:32pm On Nov 16, 2016
Scholar8200:
Indeed, where have you been?
i am fine brother, thank you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by malvisguy212: 5:34pm On Nov 16, 2016
skeendyke:
bless you bro,thank you
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by urheme: 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
How is Christian meditation different from meditation in other religions? Is meditating compatible with Christianity?

I'M HERE TO TAP FROM YOUR WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD OF GOD.

I KNOW YOU ARE FULLY LOADED WITH WORD grin grin

KINDLY DROP SOME FOR A LEARNER
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by plappville(f): 5:37am On Nov 17, 2016
Yes, Méditation is compatible with Christianity. According to the bible, a Christian meditation should mean pondering on God's revealed truths and reflecting on how they pertain to us. King David revels in the richness of God's law throughout in the book of Psalm 119. He encourages us to meditate on it.

"I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word" Psalm. 119:15-16.

Other meditations are in a conflict with biblical spirituality. For example yoga. Yoga is an Eastern type of meditation that teaches that the source of salvation is found within. This type of meditation is not ScripturAl. A CHRISTIAN should be careful.
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by plappville(f): 5:42am On Nov 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Since all Scripture is God-breathed (2 Tim. 3:16), all of it is profitable for meditation in the biblical sense.
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:42pm On Nov 17, 2016
urheme:

I'M HERE TO TAP FROM YOUR WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD OF GOD.

I KNOW YOU ARE FULLY LOADED WITH WORD grin grin

KINDLY DROP SOME FOR A LEARNER

I am also looking forward to learning from biblical scholars. May we learn at the Lord's feet and that the words of Christ dwell in us richly. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23am On Dec 21, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/Christian-meditation.html
Re: What Is Christian Meditation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:09pm On Jan 05, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/Christian-meditation.html

Question: "What is Christian meditation?"

Answer: Psalm 19:14 states, "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." What, then, is Christian meditation, and how should Christians meditate? Unfortunately, the word "meditation" can carry the connotation of something mystical. For some, meditation is clearing the mind while sitting in an unusual position. For others, meditation is communing with the spirit world around us. Concepts such as these most definitely do not characterise Christian meditation.

Christian meditation has nothing to do with practices that have Eastern mysticism as their foundation. Such practices include lectio divina, transcendental meditation, and many forms of what is called contemplative prayer. These have at their core a dangerous premise that we need to "hear God's voice," not through His Word, but through personal revelation through meditation. Some churches are filled with people who think they are hearing a "word from the Lord," often contradicting one another and therefore causing endless divisions within the body of Christ. Christians are not to abandon God's Word, which is "God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17). If the Bible is sufficient to thoroughly equip us for every good work, how could we think we need to seek a mystical experience instead of or in addition to it?

Christian meditation is to be solely on the Word of God and what it reveals about Him. David found this to be so, and he describes the man who is "blessed" as one whose "delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night" (Psalm 1:2). True Christian meditation is an active thought process whereby we give ourselves to the study of the Word, praying over it and asking God to give us understanding by the Spirit, who has promised to lead us "into all truth" (John 16:13). Then we put this truth into practice, committing ourselves to the Scriptures as the rule for life and practice as we go about our daily activities. This causes spiritual growth and maturing in the things of God as we are taught by His Holy Spirit.

(1) (Reply)

How True Is D Ouija Board / Santa Claus Is A Lie Made To Distract From The Real Reason For Christmas (jesus) / The Mind Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.