Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists (1591 Views)

What Religious Folks Mean When They Tell You To Be Open Minded / Question And Chat With The Religious Folks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 6:37pm On Jul 08, 2018
Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious folks have over Atheists

First note that I am an Atheist. I totally dont believe in God, but i was once a christian and even a church leader for several years.

I have been an atheist now for about 6years and i believe i have enough experience to know what is lacking in both.

It may shock my Atheist colleagues if i tell them they are at disadvantage because they do not pray and meditate

Yes! You read that right! Christians and muslims most especially have a big advantage in life over most other people if they pray and meditate regularly.

Why?
1. Prayers Works! I have seen people get better because of prayers. When i was a christian, i saw many people recover faster through prayers. I saw depressed people pull through because of prayers. Even scientists have conducted researches to understand why prayers work for ill people. That is works does not mean god answers prayers, it works because these people have a belief. Belief helps put you in a mental state that deals with stress and releases the hormones needed for quick healing. There is a strong link between your mental state and your physiological being. Why do i say it has nothing to do with god? Because all prayers regardless of religion has the same effect. And alternatives to prayers to God work as well.

2. Prayers strengthen relationships " the family that prays together stays together". This statement is true. Those who pray together and for one another tend to maintain a strong bond. When you have people who constantly pray for you, you can be sure you mean a lot to them. Unfortunately this has also been used to exploit a lot of emotional people especially women. Have you ever wondered why women are victims to religion based scams especially in the church?

3. Improves your outlook praying every morning can make you more productive. I realize that when i prayed in the morning i always go out with lots of energy and enthusiasm. This is a good thing for those who pray and believe God to go through the day with them.

it helps cultivate a disciplined life when you pray with sincerity and regularly about habits that makes you unproductive, you are very likely to cut such habits off.

Note: this thread is not to convert anyone or endorse religion. I am only stating facts. I am an atheist and i dont pray. So what should an atheist do?

All atheist should learn to meditate. Make meditation an habit. Learn to stay quiet or should i say have your 'Quiet time' everyday both early in the morning and late at night when no one would disturb you.

Secondly, you should learn to speak positive things about yourself, business, family and all. Speak those things called positive confessions, if you believe them, it wld improve your mental state and that of those you speak them to. Tell your children positive things. Call them and tell them they would be great. Words make a lot of difference.

Note! Christians who spend their time praying against enemies and demons dont enjoy these benefits. Their lives are usually dark and pitiable, they are never victorious. Prayers i am talking about is the type you see churches like believers love world pray.

Also note that prayers without works is dead. Prayers itself dont work, they only help position your mind correctly. So it is wisdom when you know even the bible says prayers without works is dead.

Thank you.

Hardmirror

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by Thewesterner(m): 6:57pm On Jul 08, 2018
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 7:15pm On Jul 08, 2018
unilagfreshest:
I strongly agree with you.
For your affordable phones, check
https://www.nairaland.com/4605078/know
thnx

Cc hopefullandlord
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by malvisguy212: 7:19pm On Jul 08, 2018
you tried, by His grace you will get there.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 7:20pm On Jul 08, 2018
malvisguy212:
you tried, by His grace you will get there.
where pls?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by hopefulLandlord: 7:26pm On Jul 08, 2018
Interesting take, I'd research more on the points OP made although I feel prayer does work in the same way soliloquising does. talking to anyone including yourself can make you think more clearly. since prayer is basically talking to yourself and thinking some entity is listening and would favour you it can help psychologically by looking out for the signs of the help from that imaginary friend you'd position yourself for the help more and its possible to fill you with confidence which might be all that's needed. this can help you recognise opportunities better and succeed
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by malvisguy212: 7:26pm On Jul 08, 2018
HardMirror:
where pls?
home.

1 Like

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by johnydon22(m): 7:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
What exactly stops an atheist from meditating?
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 7:50pm On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Interesting take, I'd research more on the points OP made although I feel prayer does work in the same way soliloquising does. talking to anyone including yourself can make you think more clearly. since prayer is basically talking to yourself and thinking some entity is listening and would favour you it can help psychologically by looking out for the signs of the help from that imaginary friend you'd position yourself for the help more and its possible to fill you with confidence which might be all that's needed. this can help you recognise opportunities better and succeed
very true bro
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 7:51pm On Jul 08, 2018
johnydon22:
What exactly stops an atheist from meditating?
many dont. Also many people of religion dont too.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 7:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
malvisguy212:
home.
wake up

1 Like

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by hakeem4(m): 8:03pm On Jul 08, 2018
Hardmirror what a lovely article. I just want drop my own opinion about prayer. People who pray are actually suffering from Stockholm syndrome but they’re are not aware. Prayers do not actually work, but it makes the individual feel better.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by johnydon22(m): 8:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
hakeem4:

Hardmirror what a lovely article. I just want drop my own opinion about prayer. People who pray are actually suffering from Stockholm syndrome but they’re are not aware. Prayers do not actually work, but it makes the individual feel better.
Stockholm syndrome? How so?
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by hakeem4(m): 8:22pm On Jul 08, 2018
johnydon22:
Stockholm syndrome? How so?
god is the captor and we keep talking to him
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by Hakeem12(m): 8:54pm On Jul 08, 2018
The short answer is that there are signs that sick people who

(a) believe in prayer and
(b) know they are being prayed for
Show positive health benefits.
People who

(a) don't particularly believe in prayer and
(b) know they are being prayed for can show some, but markedly less results.
People who don't know they are being prayed for don't show anything significant enough to be more then happenstance (or a break in study protocol.)

To the non-believer, this points to psycho-somosis as the likely acting ingredient.
To the believer, this 'proves' that faith is necessary, although that doesn't really adequately explain why those with faith unknowingly prayed for dont show bette results. But, again, it can be argued away with the fact that people of faith whoa re sick always have people in their community praying for them.

The short answer is, no, there is no scientifically valid proof in the efficacy of prayer but, as in all science, that doesn't prove that such effect doesn't exist, merely that no study has been formulated to date that can capture it.
We are rationalizing animals and anything with emotional import gets rationalized by *everyone* with a feeling on the subject.

Edit: It should be noted however that this has no bearing on the existence or non existence of a deity or deities. Its a relatively small percentage of deists who believe in a god who is a super santa clause that delivers what ever we ask for if we grovel low enough.

1 Like

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 9:17pm On Jul 08, 2018
hakeem4:
god is the captor and we keep talking to him
i dont agree. God does nothing, we are slaves to ourselves, our delusions, our wishes and hopes. God has never had anything to do with anything, all we think we know about god are from men and we hoping they are true
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by hakeem4(m): 9:29pm On Jul 08, 2018
HardMirror:
i dont agree. God does nothing, we are slaves to ourselves, our delusions, our wishes and hopes. God has never had anything to do with anything, all we think we know about god are from men and we hoping they are true
what I mean is that the term “god” is our captor
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by hakeem4(m): 9:30pm On Jul 08, 2018
Hakeem12:
The short answer is that there are signs that sick people who

(a) believe in prayer and
(b) know they are being prayed for
Show positive health benefits.
People who

(a) don't particularly believe in prayer and
(b) know they are being prayed for can show some, but markedly less results.
People who don't know they are being prayed for don't show anything significant enough to be more then happenstance (or a break in study protocol.)

To the non-believer, this points to psycho-somosis as the likely acting ingredient.
To the believer, this 'proves' that faith is necessary, although that doesn't really adequately explain why those with faith unknowingly prayed for dont show bette results. But, again, it can be argued away with the fact that people of faith whoa re sick always have people in their community praying for them.

The short answer is, no, there is no scientifically valid proof in the efficacy of prayer but, as in all science, that doesn't prove that such effect doesn't exist, merely that no study has been formulated to date that can capture it.
We are rationalizing animals and anything with emotional import gets rationalized by *everyone* with a feeling on the subject.

Edit: It should be noted however that this has no bearing on the existence or non existence of a deity or deities. Its a relatively small percentage of deists who believe in a god who is a super santa clause that delivers what ever we ask for if we grovel low enough.
lovely point

1 Like

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by Lirqur: 9:44pm On Jul 08, 2018
HardMirror:

First note that I am an Atheist. I totally dont believe in God, but i was once a christian and even a church leader for several years.

I have been an atheist now for about 6years and i believe i have enough experience to know what is lacking in both.

It may shock my Atheist colleagues if i tell them they are at disadvantage because they do not pray and meditate

Yes! You read that right! Christians and muslims most especially have a big advantage in life over most other people if they pray and meditate regularly.

Why?
1. Prayers Works! I have seen people get better because of prayers. When i was a christian, i saw many people recover faster through prayers. I saw depressed people pull through because of prayers. Even scientists have conducted researches to understand why prayers work for ill people. That is works does not mean god answers prayers, it works because these people have a belief. Belief helps put you in a mental state that deals with stress and releases the hormones needed for quick healing. There is a strong link between your mental state and your physiological being. Why do i say it has nothing to do with god? Because all prayers regardless of religion has the same effect. And alternatives to prayers to God work as well.

2. Prayers strengthen relationships " the family that prays together stays together". This statement is true. Those who pray together and for one another tend to maintain a strong bond. When you have people who constantly pray for you, you can be sure you mean a lot to them. Unfortunately this has also been used to exploit a lot of emotional people especially women. Have you ever wondered why women are victims to religion based scams especially in the church?

3. Improves your outlook praying every morning can make you more productive. I realize that when i prayed in the morning i always go out with lots of energy and enthusiasm. This is a good thing for those who pray and believe God to go through the day with them.

it helps cultivate a disciplined life when you pray with sincerity and regularly about habits that makes you unproductive, you are very likely to cut such habits off.

Note: this thread is not to convert anyone or endorse religion. I am only stating facts. I am an atheist and i dont pray. So what should an atheist do?

All atheist should learn to meditate. Make meditation an habit. Learn to stay quiet or should i say have your 'Quiet time' everyday both early in the morning and late at night when no one would disturb you.

Secondly, you should learn to speak positive things about yourself, business, family and all. Speak those things called positive confessions, if you believe them, it wld improve your mental state and that of those you speak them to. Tell your children positive things. Call them and tell them they would be great. Words make a lot of difference.

Note! Christians who spend their time praying against enemies and demons dont enjoy these benefits. Their lives are usually dark and pitiable, they are never victorious. Prayers i am talking about is the type you see churches like believers love world pray.

Also note that prayers without works is dead. Prayers itself dont work, they only help position your mind correctly. So it is wisdom when you know even the bible says prayers without works is dead.

Thank you.

Hardmirror

So what are you on now? That it's a placebo effect? If it's placebo and it works, is it still placebo?

So it means God does exist.

Allahu Arkbar.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HappyPagan: 9:56pm On Jul 08, 2018
I meditate regularly.

It helped me manage my anxiety, and taught me to control a terrible anger. I try to make it a regular habit, as I end up feeling easily irritated and out of sync when I don't.

It also helped with forgiveness. I used to hold grudges against the 'church' cause I felt hurt that I could have been deceived for so long. With time, I realised holding on to the past is a poison that slowly kills you..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by Hakeem12(m): 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2018
hakeem4:
lovely point
thanks
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by budaatum: 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2018
Lirqur:

So what are you on now? That it's a placebo effect? If it's placebo and it works, is it still placebo?

So it means God does exist.

Allahu Arkbar.
No it doesn't mean anything of the sort. Read up on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, and Neurolinguistic Programming. You'd find the same concept bar gods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 4:07pm On Jul 09, 2018
budaatum:

No it doesn't mean anything of the sort. Read up on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, and Neurolinguistic Programming. You'd find the same concept bar gods.
thanks for the appropriate reply.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by danvon(m): 4:28pm On Jul 09, 2018
Atheist Apologist
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by Image123(m): 12:45am On Jul 10, 2018
HardMirror:

Why?

Thank you.

Hardmirror

Lol, see this confused fellow is preaching "New Age" to people. Well, to the devil, it's the same thing. All other ways are his, Jesus is the ONLY way.

1 Like

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 5:21am On Jul 10, 2018
Image123:

Lol, see this confused fellow is preaching "New Age" to people. Well, to the devil, it's the same thing. All other ways are his, Jesus is the ONLY way.
that is your dumb opinion (if you think you know i am confused then i have every right to assert my opinion that you are dumb). Keep wallowing in your imaginations

2 Likes

Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by malvisguy212: 7:44am On Jul 11, 2018
HardMirror:
wake up
do you meditate ?
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 7:51am On Jul 11, 2018
malvisguy212:
do you meditate ?
yh
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by malvisguy212: 7:55am On Jul 11, 2018
Image123:

the guy is reinforcing the definition of atheism, there are many unanswered questions which he cannot deny, so to filled up this void is to twist the definition of atheism. can you believe there are atheists who believed in the existence of spirit ? I wept for this people.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by malvisguy212: 7:58am On Jul 11, 2018
HardMirror:
yh
you meditate mean you believe in something you don't understand which requires faith.
Re: Prayers & Meditation: Big Advantage Religious Folks Have Over Atheists by HardMirror(m): 8:40am On Jul 11, 2018
malvisguy212:
you meditate mean you believe in something you don't understand which requires faith.
get a dictionary. You dont know what meditation is.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OMG!! See This Pastor Post "That Got Nigerians Talking And Clapping" / Winners Chapel Gives Out Brand New Houses, Fully Equipped To Members (pics / Islamic Cleric Buhari Omo Musa Encourages Youths To Engage In Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.