Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,191 members, 7,839,048 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? (4596 Views)

Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve / Putting My Writing Skills To Test / Help! I Want to Improve My Writing Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by hasyak(m): 1:43pm On Nov 02, 2009
DreaShola:

Write what?

you can have a diary where you write your daily activities
write about yourself
write about any issue to find interesting
write about about your fantasy
write about your environment
or any thing you find interesting
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by MyJoe: 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2009
To do anything exceptionally, two or three things are required.
1. Talent
2. Discipline
3. The third factor - something you have no control over - call it luck, time and chance, or God, depending on your beliefs.

1. Talent is inborn.
2. Discipline - this is where the work is. You have been told to read. Yes, that is basic. Read wide. African writing, non-African writing. Fiction, non fiction. Modern, ancient. The list goes on. But without discipline, reading would be useless. When you read, you need to develop a keen sense of language and differences. This is what I mean: there is a town called Damascus in the Bible. So the day a friend of mine came across the name Stella Damasus-Aboderin, he called Stella Damascus. You can't be a good writer if you can't spot the smallest of differences. Discipline also entails working at it. Can you have regular schedule of waking up, say, 5AM to write everyday?
Finally, a disciplined writer is not lazy. Perhaps I should have made this a point of its own. I remember travelling two towns away to get a piece of information to complete just a paragraph in an article I was writing. I also remember finishing an article for the papers but just on a whim decided to crosscheck the facts again. It turned out two facts were wrong and both of them had come from wikipedia!
And no, a disciplined writer would never write: please i need your tips and ideas. He will write[b] Please I need your tips and ideas.[/b] Yes, you must practise punctuated writing, even in an anonymous forum.
There are lots of other tips, but have got to to back to work right now.
Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 6:56pm On Nov 02, 2009
@myjoe & hasyak thanks for ur advice
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by manmustwac(m): 9:50pm On Nov 02, 2009
DreaShola:

@myjoe & hasyak thanks for your advice
you want to improve your writing skills as well?
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 7:19am On Nov 03, 2009
Sure I know I have got the talent its just that I dont know how to start How I wish I can take a class that will help
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by adebayo201: 7:24am On Nov 03, 2009
cool
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by MyJoe: 1:37pm On Nov 03, 2009
DreaShola:

Sure I know I have got the talent its just that I dont know how to start How I wish I can take a class that will help

There are now writing courses available but mainly in schools abroad. I may be able to help you, though.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by adebayo201: 5:22pm On Nov 03, 2009
let see undecided undecided
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 6:08pm On Nov 03, 2009
@my joe How can you help me
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by manmustwac(m): 6:59pm On Nov 03, 2009
DreaShola:

@my joe How can you help me
join an online writers club. Look at agathaamari's links in post 15 to find some online clubs to join
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by adebayo201: 12:54am On Nov 04, 2009
Post 15 of what
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by manmustwac(m): 2:07am On Nov 04, 2009
adebayo201:

Post 15 of what
post 15 of this topic. This post is post 43.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by MyJoe: 12:14pm On Nov 06, 2009
@DreaSola

"Writing" encompasses something big. For example, Achebe write prose and poetry. Soyinka write poetry, drama and prose. Okri writes only prose. Abati write essays and critiques. What genre are you interested? Or you simply want to improve your ability to write generally?
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by ofala(m): 7:59pm On Nov 06, 2009
Writing comes easy when you have a goal. Since you have the desire, the next question is: what are you trying to achieve with your writing? Check this man out: http://cashminters.com/freeguide.htm I stumbled on his materials and he is really sound. If he is here , can he get in touch with me? He needs to be promoted. So proud of himas a Nigerian.

Pick up his insightful material: http://cashminters.com/freeguide.htm
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by DreaShola: 12:17am On Nov 07, 2009
@myjoe I am interested in drama and fiction but I still want to improve generally too
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by odysseus1: 7:23pm On Nov 03, 2011
Try this site http://www.runonwords.com. You can write with a bunch of other people online and they will help critique your writing.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Wesslier(m): 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2013
agathamari: join an online writers club
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by kentochi(m): 5:47pm On Aug 23, 2013
wow this very good for people of my kind. thanks so much for every one who have contributed to this thread.
Re: How Can I Improve My Writing Skills? by Zynabsani: 9:35pm On Aug 02, 2022
Check out my YouTube channel I showed a very easy way to improve your handwriting �

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_V_aamkP8

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Story Are You Reading Now And Who Is The Best NL Writter According To You / ............ / FREE 2015 UNIUYO GST 123 TERM PAPER MATERIALS – CITIZENSHIP AND PEACE STUDIES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.