Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned (1300 Views)

Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It-soyinka / US Poll: Wole Soyinka Trends On Twitter For Saying He'll Destroy His Green Card / Wole Soyinka: "I Will Tear My Green Card If Donald Trump Wins" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by yGist: 7:48pm On Nov 10, 2016
An Abuja-based legal luminary, Mr Kayode Ajulo, has cautioned Soyinka against carrying out his threat of destroying his Green Card as he would be risking three to seven years jail term. Nigerian Nobel Literature Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka had earlier vowed to destroy his American Green Card in protest to Donald Trump becoming the winner of the U.S. 2016 Presidential election. Few days before the Nov. 8 election, Soyinka told students at Oxford University that “I will cut my green card myself and start packing up” if Trump won the polls. The moment Trump won the election, the literary icon vowed to leave the United States by Jan. 20, 2017, the very day president-elect Donald Trump will be inaugurated.

Ajulo said Soyinka is an opinion moulder, an elder statesman and nation builder, who should know the implication of such act. “Under the American law losing or having your U.S. green card destroyed can be a serious problem. Legally, such is tagged as wishful destruction of government’s property. He said the truth is that Soyinka is far better and far bigger than that because such act is provocative and unacceptable. He stressed that the literary icon is free to leave the country but does not have to tear the card; instead he should return the card as required by the law.

Ajulo said the professor, who is currently a resident scholar at New York University’s Institute of African American Affairs, should know better. He said: "it has a lot of implications for Nigerians. Green cards or passports are valuable documents and should be looked after it with care. Mishandling of passport could stop you from travelling not to talk of destroying green card." Ajulo further described Soyinka as a good ambassador who cares not just about Nigeria but the world at large, advising him to keep to it.

Will Soyinka still destroy his Green Card?

Source: www.ygist.com/2016/11/soyinka-destroy-your-american-green-card-and-go-to-jail.html

Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by charriot: 7:52pm On Nov 10, 2016
Oga you have been advice

2 Likes

Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by MalcoImX: 7:53pm On Nov 10, 2016
He should tear it jare - even the Americans are running. Haven't you heard the Canadian Immigration website crashed more than two times when it dawned that Trump will win.
Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by DCMIX(m): 7:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by ghettowriter(m): 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2016
The drama just started..!

can't wait for Trump memes smiley

....[I]grabs my popcorn[\i]

1 Like

Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by onnenka: 8:00pm On Nov 10, 2016
The Yoruba Coward will never do that!
Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by opethom(m): 8:11pm On Nov 10, 2016
let Trump come to ajegunle to arrest him... Him head way be like igbo yam go correct
Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by Flexherbal(m): 8:11pm On Nov 10, 2016
charriot:
Oga you have been advice
A word is enough for the wise!

1 Like

Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by sammuell(m): 8:13pm On Nov 10, 2016
Him think say america na nigeria
Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by Ovokoo: 8:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
There's no need advising Soyinka because he knows better than to destroy his green. He only said it in a moment of irrational thinking.

1 Like

Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by sekundosekundo: 8:24pm On Nov 10, 2016
Does he think that American green card is as useless as his Cultic certificate.
Re: Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned by TheBossLadyK(f): 12:11am On Nov 11, 2016
sekundosekundo:
Does he think that American green card is as useless as his Cultic certificate.

[size=30pt]Hmmmmmmmm[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Hidden Love� / I Need Content Writer(s) .... / The Pastor Wife. Episode 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.