Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,532 members, 7,823,316 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? (677 Views)

It's Better To Be An Atheist Than A Nigerian Christian Or Muslim - Man Says / I Don't Want To Marry A Christian Or Religious Person. / Why I'm Convinced That No One Will Make Heaven, Be You A Christian Or A Pagan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Sibe007(m): 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2016
Hallos everyone,

I have always wanted to ask all the practicing Christians and Muslims here if they really made the choice to be practicing the religion they currently practice.

Where you not sang to, told stories, taught lessons from a Religious book while you were barely grown enough to understand and decide for yourself.

Where you at anytime presented with different Religions books, summary, and what they entail while you were growing up, then at some point did you then decide that, from all these, I choose to be a Christian, Muslim or whichever you currently practice.

Did you exercise a choice to evaluate them, then chose one.

Or all you have always known, heard, was just as was handed to you from birth till now?

Only asking if it is true, you actually chose to be a Christian/Muslim, or you were sort of guided towards your eventual present Religion.

Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2016
I didn't choose Christianity, Christianity chose me. And it's one of the divine favours I received before I know myself
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Pastafarian: 2:37pm On Nov 11, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:
I didn't choose Christianity, Christianity chose me. And it's one of the divine favours I received before I know myself

in order words

you were "indoctrinated"
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2016
Pastafarian:

in order words
you were "indoctrinated"
That's not the right word, I was EXPOSED.
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Pastafarian: 2:49pm On Nov 11, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

That's not the right word, I was EXPOSED.
you were "exposed" before you even know what Islam is, Amirite?
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 2:56pm On Nov 11, 2016
Pastafarian:

you were "exposed" before you even know what Islam is, Amirite?

That is hilarious, I spent about 21 years in northern Nigeria: Primary, Senior secondary, University all in the north. I know almost everything a non-muslim can know about islam.

Thank God, Christianity chose me
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Pastafarian: 2:58pm On Nov 11, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

That is hilarious, I spent about 21 years in northern Nigeria: Primary, Senior secondary, University all in the north. I know almost everything a non-muslim can know about islam.

Thank God, Christianity chose me

you said:
"And it's one of the divine favours I received before I know myself"

it sounds like you were born into a Yahweh believing home, I stand to be corrected
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Paulpaulpaul(m): 3:05pm On Nov 11, 2016
Pastafarian:

you said:
"And it's one of the divine favours I received before I know myself"

it sounds like you were born into a Yahweh believing home, I stand to be corrected

Was I born with the knowledge that Jesus was from Nazareth? No, I was told.

Was I born with the knowledge that 360 idol were worshipped in Mecca bwdore the prophet? No, I was told.

I never waited to taste poison before I knew it was lethal. I was exposed to the truth, earlier and I'm grateful for it
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Pastafarian: 3:14pm On Nov 11, 2016
Paulpaulpaul:

Was I born with the knowledge that Jesus was from Nazareth? No, I was told.

Was I born with the knowledge that 360 idol were worshipped in Mecca bwdore the prophet? No, I was told.

I never waited to taste poison before I knew it was lethal. I was exposed to the truth, earlier and I'm grateful for it

it seems we are saying the same thing here

you were born into a Christian home and remained Christian

indoctrination simply means "teach"

you were taken to church, told Jesus is the son of god, made to read, memorise and recite the bible sometimes

no doubt, you still had a choice to make despite all these but you can't deny that being born into it made the choice a much more easier

indoctrination isn't generally bad since we were taught almost everything we know
Re: Did You Really Choose To Be Christian Or Muslim?? by Sibe007(m): 6:35pm On Jan 18, 2017
Pastafarian:

it seems we are saying the same thing here

you were born into a Christian home and remained Christian

indoctrination simply means "teach"

you were taken to church, told Jesus is the son of god, made to read, memorise and recite the bible sometimes

no doubt, you still had a choice to make despite all these but you can't deny that being born into it made the choice a much more easier

indoctrination isn't generally bad since we were taught almost everything we know

Well said!

You took the words out of my mouth.

(1) (Reply)

The Meek That Will Inherit The Earth. / Islamic/arabic Phrases And Meanings / Christ Your Wisdom Gives You Good Success - Joseph Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.