Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders (11155 Views)

GTB Releases Official Statement On Innoson And EFCC / Naira Appreciates Across Forex Market / Naira Appreciates As Demand For Dollar Gets Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Truth234(m): 5:24am On Nov 12, 2016
The Nigerian Naira gained against the U.S dollar on Friday in all segments of the foreign exchange market.

The Naira improved N5 at the parallel market to exchange at N455, from the N460 recorded on Thursday, while both the Pound Sterling and the Euro were exchanged at N555 and N505, respectively.

On the interbank market, the Naira climbed N1.45 to close at N304.75 from N306.50 recorded on Thursday.

While, the local currency remains N385 to a dollar at the Bureau De Change Segment — in line with the CBN directive. Both the pound and the Euro were exchanged at N555 and N500, respectively.

But Bureau de change operators said activities at the segment were low as Thursday’s raid by the Department of State Service and Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on market traders has weakened business sentiment.

Some experts have said the raid was a temporary measure, and not the solution to the illiquidity of the foreign exchange market.

“Until, the Central Bank of Nigeria increase its foreign exchange earnings, usually through diversification or on a short-term basis surge in global oil prices, which is currently tied to OPEC decision, the liquidity issue will persist,” said Samed Olukoya, a foreign exchange research analyst at Investors King Ltd.

However, in an effort to improve the Naira value, the CBN has licensed additional 21 international money transfer operators to augment current market liquidity. But on Friday, the apex bank alerted the public to the resurgence of illegal money transfer operators in the country.

In a statement signed by the Acting Director of Corporate Communications Department, Isaac Okorafor, the CBN explained that “this unscrupulous operators, lure unsuspecting customers with ridiculous exchange rate and use Naira accounts opened in local banks ostensibly for legal business to pay out the proceeds to the beneficiaries, while channeling the foreign currencies to fund the parallel market.”

He further stated that “This practice has led to non-reporting of such transactions to relevant authorities thereby undermining effective surveillance of the sector as well as leading to discrepancies in statistics on the transactions between countries of origin of remittance and the destination country, Nigeria.

http://investorsking.com/naira-appreciates-after-dss-and-efcc-raid-traders/

2 Likes

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by HtwoOw: 5:31am On Nov 12, 2016
Well that's good to know

Some people here said forcing traders will make it scarce and naira will fall even more

Let's thank God that the President of the nation does not take advise from nairaland

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by OgaTheTop2: 5:43am On Nov 12, 2016
Naira problem is internal. We are the harbinger of naira failure.

There should be a special task force to crack down on illegalities in this country. Some people are bent on making this country not to progress. Just what's wrong with us people?

There should also be a law in place that whoever patronises the BDC with the aim to exchange forex illegally should be reported, arrested and jailed for 2 years. With this, everyone will seat up.

Soon, naira will bounce back. I trust Buhari on this.

Haters can wail can hang....who cares undecided

13 Likes

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by princedoz: 5:45am On Nov 12, 2016
Wow. This is goodnews. Expecting more goodnews today

1 Like

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Truth234(m): 5:47am On Nov 12, 2016
HtwoOw:
Well that's good to know

Some people here said forcing traders will make it scarce and naira will fall even more

Let's thank God that the President of the nation does not take advise from nairaland

They are not forcing the traders, the CBN had an agreement with BDCs to sell at N385 to the public, while Travelex and FBN are to sell at N381 to BDCs. But BDCs are selling at N400, gaining N19 a dollar.

This activity has steepened the gap between the official rates and parallel market rates, because no business person will buy at N400 and sell at official rate, rather he/she will head straight to the parallel market for N455-N470/$. Hindering all efforts by the CBN to boost market liquidity and improve the Naira value. This is one of the reasons parallel market is booming.

Although, the raid was the reason for low transaction at BDC segment on Friday, but those that will sell at agreed N385 will sell and if any operators want to sell at N400 and above, they should go and source for their forex elsewhere and not use CBN channel for personal gains.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by zakim(m): 6:08am On Nov 12, 2016
k
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by okosodo: 6:15am On Nov 12, 2016
This your assertion is false as i looked for dollar to buy yesterday without success. I was even ready to buy at 520. But to come here and start giving glory to fraud shows that nigeria will never make headway, sadly because i am a nigerian too

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Nobody: 6:27am On Nov 12, 2016
People do not think clearly, because the author of the story when it was posted on NL said the DSS raids would cause dollar scarcity and lead to further devaluation; almost all NL posters accepted it as gospel.

When you analyse it you should conclude that the raids, would only see reduction in transactions in the BDCs, which wouldn't be a bad thing because it would result in fewer imports.

At the same time, the likelyhood is that those who need to sell dollars would be more likely to sell to banks , meaning the dollar inflow to banks will increase.

Win win situation.
HtwoOw:
Well that's good to know

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by HtwoOw: 6:30am On Nov 12, 2016
grin I like you

Made your point without insult, then I thought you were GMbuhari my buddy

Anyhow follow me make I follow back

Enjoy your weekend
GenBuhari:
People do not think clearly, because the author of the story said the DSS raids would cause dollar scarcity and lead to further devaluation; almost all NL posters accepted it as gospel.

When you analyse it you should conclude that the raids, would only see reduction in transactions in the BDCs, which wouldn't be a bad thing because it would result in fewer imports.

At the same time, the likelyhood is that those who need to sell dollars would be more likely to sell to banks , meaning the dollar inflow to banks will increase.

Win win situation.
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by pointstores(m): 6:37am On Nov 12, 2016
i dont understand these rates how much is dollar nw sold for in black marke nw
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by eezeribe(m): 6:41am On Nov 12, 2016
Nonsense
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 12, 2016
Following you
HtwoOw:
grin I like you

Made your point without insult, then I thought you were GMbuhari my buddy

Anyhow follow me make I follow back

Enjoy your weekend
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 12, 2016

At N455 to $1 ??

I hope it gets to N700 to $1 before December

1 Like

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Turks: 7:08am On Nov 12, 2016
Only Nigeria has two rates..Pituful..
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Morhziez(m): 7:09am On Nov 12, 2016
Haaa...God Have mercy
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by baski92(m): 7:10am On Nov 12, 2016
Tomorrow e go still rise times 2, I see no reason we suppose dey happy
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by OKorowanta: 7:10am On Nov 12, 2016
Buhari will neva sleep well since u like to dey mad
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Aburi001: 7:10am On Nov 12, 2016
Țemporary measure if you ask me grin
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Ayoswit(f): 7:11am On Nov 12, 2016
k
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by AxeurdaddyIX: 7:12am On Nov 12, 2016
Lol. Is the fear of EFCC and DSS the beginning of 'Wisdom'??
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by martineverest(m): 7:13am On Nov 12, 2016
some youths want this govt to fail.but they fail to realise that the failure of the govt will affect them the most....smh
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by OgaTheTop2: 7:13am On Nov 12, 2016
AfonjaStinks:

At N455 to $1 ??

I hope it gets to N700 to $1 before December

Enemy of progress.

6 Likes

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Pavore9: 7:13am On Nov 12, 2016
lt will depreciate again based on the reality on ground!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Adesiji77: 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
cheesy
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by emmanwandud(m): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
Wow declare war on them . Officially a year older

1 Like

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Generalkorex(m): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
ok
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Ayoswit(f): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
k, I don't know wat to comment anymore.
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by IRobot7(m): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
After all that has been promised, still....

1 Like

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Mememan: 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
Nonsense!

Wake me up when 1 dollar = 1 naira.
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by sylvar02(m): 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
good news

Anyways

[size=20pt]E kú rècéssìon èní ooo grin grin grin[/size]

1 Like

Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 12, 2016
[size=18pt]Abegi make central bank let us hear word jare, appreciate today, depreciate tomorrow, price of goods now, na double, even triple. The masses are suffering. I just tire for dis yeye country, we say PDP no good, we carry APC put for dere, na dis one come worse pass. Maybe we should reinvite Great Britain back to re colonize us. Abi Wetin I talk??[/size]
Re: Naira Appreciates After DSS And EFCC Raid Traders by Felixtuta(m): 7:17am On Nov 12, 2016
We don hear, not until price of food go down the government is not doing anything. Help me tell them that people are dying of hunger.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Reliable Business To Invest Money On In Nigeria??? / Get Paid To Read News, Comment And Share Posts. Its Free! / IMF says eNaira and other CBDCs are better than Bitcoin, altcoins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.