Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,590 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US (775 Views)

Photo Of El-Rufai Kneeling Before Atiku Dug Up By Nigerians For Attacking Atiku / Buhari’s Meeting With N-delta Leaders: Our Expectations — US Govt / Goodluck Jonathan Mobbed By Nigerians At London Resturant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by TheFreeOne: 10:13am On Nov 12, 2016
The emergence of Donald Trump as the President-elect of the United States of America has shocked the entire world.

Africans, Mexicans, Muslims and several other people and interests, who were the target of Trump’s campaign have expressed different views on the president-elect.

Trump, the candidate of the Republicans Party, defeated Hillary Clinton, candidate of the Democratic Party, after a bitterly fought election that was marred by a blackmail-filled campaign, which left the people divided.

Trump’s campaign, tagged ‘Make America great again’, was largely hinged on threats to send immigrants back to their home countries.

With the emergence of Trump as the next president of the US, The Nation spoke with some Nigerians resident there (US) on their reactions to some of Trump’s campaign issues.

For George Nikoro, a Nigerian resident in Denver, Colorado, it is still premature to say whether Trump will carry out his threat. He, however, said the president-elect may have made those threats as a ploy to win the election.

He said: “There is fear, but it is too premature to decide that Trump is going to carry out all those threats. From all indications, he was just saying all those things to appeal to the electorate.

“When he starts acting as president, all these things he said that he is going to build a fence, he was just spewing them out to appeal to the electorate during the campaigns.

“Also on deportation, America is a country that is organised. I don’t see Trump coming up with a deportation squad. So, I don’t see it happening. He is not going to do anything without the approval of congress.”

In the opinion of Oluwaseun Ogunniyi, who lives in Maryville, Illinois, all immigrants in the US are anxious over the anticipated Trump’s policy on immigration. According to him, Nigerians, like other immigrants in the US, are scared that it will be more difficult to get opportunities to remain in the country on a long term basis.

“Nigerians here have the same fears as those of immigrants from other countries. There are anxieties about how Trump’s immigration policies might make it more difficult for people to get visa to study and work. Ultimately, people are scared that it will be more difficult to get opportunities to stay here on a long-term basis.

“There are also concerns about how this can further aggravate violence and all forms of abuse against minorities. People are also worried about how sound his foreign policy will be, if it will not be disastrous for the rest of the world. This is due to the fact that this man will be controlling the most powerful army in the world,” Ogunniyi said.

Olagbenro Oladipupo, resident in Madison, is not surprised with the emergence of Trump.

“I wasn’t surprised. For some reasons, I knew Trump would win. The Democrat Party, media and public intellectuals tried to trivialise Hillary’s baggage of scandals. This is a great undoing on their part. Someone is telling you to “Make America Great Again”, he is getting a lot of followers to buy this message and you think he is stupid? For a long time, liberals in America have pursued liberal ideologies that are threatening the values of white middle class Americans. In trying to please everyone, liberals robbed some of their values. They voted Trump as a protest.

“As a Nigerian, I really do not care if Trump is elected or not; I am not afraid. I am here illegally. As a Black man, my humanity will be a little bit bruised. But, really what do we expect? America is not my country. I don’t expect myself to think I can act anyhow here. America belongs to those who own it.

“The worst scenario is that America gets too hostile for me to live in as a Nigerian. And the last time I checked, I wasn’t exiled from Nigeria. I can always return home. Maybe a mass return of Nigerians in Diaspora would even help shake things up and make Nigeria great again if we were ever great. Only those who think they can’t make it in Nigeria or anywhere else should be afraid.”

Francis Fapohunda of Tucson, California, condemned the reactions by Nigerians who took to twitter, facebook and other social media platforms to mock their kinsmen in the US. He is, however, optimistic that Trump may turn out to be a good leader like the late Ronald Regan, who was also an entertainer.

“In my honest opinion, I think Trump said all those things to become president. I am expecting he is going to be different from his campaign now that he is president-elect. There is fear, but I am sure the American people will not allow him do all that he threatened to do.

“On Nigerians at home mocking Nigerians in America; they don’t understand the politics of America. Yes, the victory was a major setback, but the American congress will checkmate his activities.

“Ronald Regan was more of an entertainer than a politician, but he did well as president. Let’s just watch and see how things unfold.”

http://linkis.com/thenationonlineng.net/VxeXB
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by UrennaNkoli(f): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2016
You people just dey overhype this trump.as if he be one Adolf Hitler.
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by zakim(m): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2016
ok
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by TheFreeOne: 10:19am On Nov 12, 2016
There shouldn't be any for fear except such individuals except they are illegal immigrants or law breakers.

I refuse to to get carried away that Trump is a monster as the democrats made some people to believe.
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by DropShot: 10:19am On Nov 12, 2016
Enjoy your Trump. Whatever he does, take it like that.
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by DropShot: 10:23am On Nov 12, 2016
TheFreeOne:
There shouldn't be any for fear except such individuals except they are illegal immigrants or law breakers.

I refuse to to get carried away that Trump is a monster as the democrats made some people to believe.
He presents himself as a monster. Not anyone.
All he said is in record. Those were not even quoted words but heard from his mouths.

In any case, he can't even push through a third of his campaign pledges.

He has already started to backtrack from his promise to repeal Obamacare.
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by EHMIR(m): 10:34am On Nov 12, 2016
I even heard obama is blaming buhari for hillary's defeat,because of bubu's infamous "...the kitchen and the other room''
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by TheFreeOne: 11:38am On Nov 12, 2016
DropShot:

He presents himself as a monster. Not anyone.
All he said is in record. Those were not even quoted words but heard from his mouths.

In any case, he can't even push through a third of his campaign pledges.

He has already started to backtrack from his promise to repeal Obamacare.

Kindly share those quotes that portrayed him as a monster.

As per his policies he hasn't been sworn in as president yet so it'll be better you avoid passing judgement. And if you expect him to maintain confrontational posture whilst there a transition process in place then it clearly shows you don't understand politics.
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by KingNom(m): 12:45pm On Nov 12, 2016
THE NIGERIA SOLUTION: A MIND RE-DRIVE
Dear Mr. President, I suggest we make the best use of your tenure to fix the basic FOUNDATIONAL PROBLEM to all our problems as an emerging Great Country: the AVERAGE NIGERIAN MINDSET! Here we can fix the many issues of our Country by using 'ONE STONE to kill a thousand birds'.
Nigeria was not as bad as this, we started becoming like this when we started *THINKING WRONGLY *
Let us use the MIND RE-DRIVE STRATEGY. This is by renewing the minds of Nigerians (as many are with respect to Integrity, corrupt) through an AGGRESSIVE value reorientation campaign using all forms of Public and Private Agencies and media; Tv, radio, internet Print media, even the movies, musical artistes etc.
If the President through his powers ( with our Governors and other Political office holders) together with the teeming population can reproduce an 'Integrity' mindset in the average citizen, his work will be made much more easy in fixing Nigeria, cutting down the giant tree of Nigeria problems from its MAIN ROOT.
'Get a person to think of doing a thing AND he will ACTUALLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY do it.' Get the Nigerian person to think of doing the right thing righlty AND he will ACTUALLY and ENTHUSIASTICALLY do the right thing rightly.'
Then will we have many 'high integrity persons' almost everywhere, fixing Nigeria. This way, the 'REAL POSITIVE CHANGE' will be deeply entrenched and sustainable for future generations.
It will surely take us time and much sacrifice, but we will get there if we persist!
A tree cannot make a forest alone, BUT CAN, through reproduction. Just Imagine if every Nigerian was thinking and acting with integrity at the various levels of our society, how our Country will be, Paradise!
If we fix our 'Integrity' values as individuals and as a Country, God helping us; Nigeria will become Paradise! _St. Nom S.
Pls share till it reaches everyone, We can be Great again, even Greater than ever before!!
Re: TRUMP: Our Fears, Our Expectations, By Nigerians Resident In US by TheFreeOne: 10:21am On Nov 13, 2016
EHMIR:
I even heard obama is blaming buhari for hillary's defeat,because of bubu's infamous "...the kitchen and the other room''
cheesy

Obama and Hillary are blaming FBI Director James Comey for their loss instead of accepting responsibility.

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Tension, Fears Mount In Niger Delta / PHOTOS: Governor Obaseki Visits Oba Of Benin Yesterday / Abraham's Hope To Stop Akeredolu Temporarily Stopped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.