Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,212 members, 7,815,233 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (60554 Views)

Yakubu Nataala Is Dead! Kogi Polytechnic Lecturer Slumps, Dies Over Non-Payment / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2016
Dereformer:

Thanks Madam.

Sir,which one should I go for DE or part time in d university?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by African101(m): 7:56pm On Dec 18, 2016
Thanks. Do you have any idea about CIPM.

Timossa:
You can easily practice Human Resource Management with your business if you have people working for you. HRM is very vast, without organization, people and resources, you cannot practice HRM.

You may have to locate organizations or get a job where you can function in the HR Dept. HR needs practice and that is where you get most of your experience from.

Most HR positions requires a lot or some working experiences. But you can include your ''Self Employment'' work history on your CV so that it can look attractive.

Hope my suggestions prove useful?

Good luck sir.

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 8:22pm On Dec 18, 2016
Yes! CIPM is good but their curriculum is outdated. The HR world has moved from Personnel Management to Human Resource and now its Human Capital. The only relevant thing about CIPM is that its Chartered.

But you can go ahead and become a Chartered Personnel Manager and not a Chartered Human Resource Manger or Chatered Human Capital Manager or Practitioner.

Hope this information prove useful?

Goodluck.

African101:
Thanks. Do you have any idea about CIPM.

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2017
Dereformer:

Four years ago, I was in your shoes.

I had an HND(Distinction) in accounting and ACA.

The discrimination was just too much. My friend told me the painful truth. He ask me to go back to school for a Bsc in Accounting.

I thought of this, with children school fees to pay, family to feed and cloth and other important financial responsibilities to meet, how could I possibly add another responsiblity of paying university school fees for myself. It wasn't an easy decision.

In 2012, then i was 38 years, i took a bold step that is later to be one of the important decisions of my life. I enrolled for a Bsc accounting in Anambra state university.

It was not an easy journey, but the support i got from my wife made things a whole lot easier. I completed the program in December 2015 after 4 years of struggle. I collected my statement of result in September 2016. The good thing is that i finished with First Class (honours).

Today, as I am typing this, I am gainfully employed with my Bsc result. By next year, God willing, I will start my MSc in Accounting.

Sir, the truth is that you need a Bsc if ever you want to be a lecturer. MBA is not an accademic masters and as such is not recognised in the academic environment.

In my class during the Bsc days, I had a coursemate who is older than me and who came in with the following qualifications: HND, PGD, MSC, ACA, ACIT. Yet he came back to do Bsc.

On a final note, NEVER LET AGE STOP YOU FROM ACCOMPLISHING A NOBLE IDEA.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Dereformer(m): 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2017
Carmal90:

Sir,which one should I go for DE or part time in d university?

If you are working, go for PT.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 4:39pm On Jan 17, 2017
Dereformer:

If you are working, go for PT.

Am not working ohh
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 11:42pm On Jan 28, 2017
Am taking the step right now.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 11:46pm On Jan 28, 2017
Nwaonyeocha:
Am taking the step right now.
h

How? Let me know sir
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by laittos(m): 11:20pm On Jun 23, 2017
Well, i have read all the comments but the best for somebody to fully enjoy lecturering job whether in NCE, Poly or University is to pass through B.Sc and move to other ladder because polytechnic system even said a graduate of poly be employed as only technologiest and instructor. However, if you find your way to class with HND, don't wait till you will be forced out of the system. Also, you can do HND-B.Sc Conversion programme; many universities are doing the programme, in fact, i just finished from Kwara State University, Malete http://app.kwasu.edu.ng/portal or http://kwasuvoice.com/tag/kwasu-begins-top-up-degree-and-hnd-conversion-programme//top_up_prog.php

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 24, 2017
ade2008:

No university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Even to be employed in a polytechnic the PGD should be in the core field(mass comm not in education+ MSC. Academic carreer for HND is very narrow , you can only work as a technologist, so my advice is obtain a degree if you're passionate about working in academic as lecturer. I'm a senior technologist working in a polytechnic , speaking from experience
what of B. Sc(second class Hons ) +PGD(upper credit) , can he lecture in private University as an instructor?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by cmoney22222: 11:17am On Jun 24, 2017
laittos:
Well, i have read all the comments but the best for somebody to fully enjoy lecturering job whether in NCE, Poly or University is to pass through B.Sc and move to other ladder because polytechnic system even said a graduate of poly be employed as only technologiest and instructor. However, if you find your way to class with HND, don't wait till you will be forced out of the system. Also, you can do HND-B.Sc Conversion programme; many universities are doing the programme, in fact, i just finished from Kwara State University, Malete http://app.kwasu.edu.ng/portal or http://kwasuvoice.com/tag/kwasu-begins-top-up-degree-and-hnd-conversion-programme//top_up_prog.php
how many year nd cost for this sir
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Ustec: 9:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
laittos:
good day sir.
I have a brother that wants to apply for the topup/conversion program in kwasu,.i want to know if the #200,000 is for the whole program and how the semester and program is being run?
Ur response will be highly appreciated,thanks.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 24, 2017
spice123:
you can get a lecturing job with your degree but it depends on the university. Unless you want to start off first from either a polytechnic or college of education then gradually do your masters. Note: the most important thing in nigeria now is work experience. Start from somewhere. I know someone who had a masters degree and currently running on another one but has been Jobless for 4 years now. *myonemillionadvice*
Hello, I sent you a mail, I need to ask you something the lecturing job.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by 1kingwriter: 12:38am On Aug 26, 2018
Am learning
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by lacum: 8:22pm On Aug 27, 2018
Please can someone teach me how to apply for a job in a Polytechnic?

I saw an advert for a graduate assistant that says I should submit 5 copies of my application and CV and relevant credentials. Now, what are the relevant credentials and since am submitting online, how do I submit 5 copies of CV. Again, I am a graduate of Economics and the job is for banking and finance, how do I structure my letter for it to make more sense to them.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by bobbybrown007: 12:11pm On Sep 23, 2018
[quote author=my guy go for PGD in education,dont dull[/quote]
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 06, 2019
bro, pls can i have ur mail or mobile number? i wanna get enquiry about KWASU HND to BSC conversion program

deprofbk8@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by wozup: 6:54pm On Jun 06, 2019
I just got admitted in to kwasu for the top up.
Pls anybody doing the program should whatsapp me on 08032948842 for information sharing.. Thanks
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by cmoney22222: 6:33pm On Jun 11, 2019
pls whats the total cost and duration for this program?

wozup:
I just got admitted in to kwasu for the top up.
Pls anybody doing the program should whatsapp me on 08032948842 for information sharing.. Thanks
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Maurista(m): 8:37am On Jul 02, 2019
Pls house, I want to know the chances of getting admitted into a public university with a private conversion Bsc in Nigeria?? Urgent response pls
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 11:21pm On Jul 02, 2019
cmoney22222:
pls whats the total cost and duration for this program?

Six semester,two years program,the fees is 170k per year but there is room for installmental payment..I am a student.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Jamesarua: 4:31pm On Jul 25, 2019
spice123:
My brother, I am currently in the teaching profession with HND and it's paying me well. Just go and do a Post Graduate Diploma in Education ( 1 year) for a start. A lot of Polytechnics need lecturers. You can start from there and then do your masters degree and move to a University. By then you must have gained at least 2 years lecturing experience before moving to a University. Nigeria work is solely based on experience and not just carrying certificate around. #speaking from concrete experience#
is it a must that it must be post graduate degree in educeation what about PGD in science or engineering
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by lacum: 11:01pm On Jul 28, 2019
spice123:
My brother, I am currently in the teaching profession with HND and it's paying me well. Just go and do a Post Graduate Diploma in Education ( 1 year) for a start. A lot of Polytechnics need lecturers. You can start from there and then do your masters degree and move to a University. By then you must have gained at least 2 years lecturing experience before moving to a University. Nigeria work is solely based on experience and not just carrying certificate around. #speaking from concrete experience#
Hello Sir, am I qualified to teach in a polytechnic?
I have B.sc in Economics and a PGD in Education from NTI. I have been teaching in private Secondary Schools for about 7 years now. I really want to teach in a higher institution but how do I go about it. Please advice me because I dont see adverts for polytechnic and colleges like the Universities
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by DexterousOne(m): 1:37pm On Jan 07, 2020
Interesting discussion we have here
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by DexterousOne(m): 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2020
Nkarchi:
Since I joined nairaland almost half a decade ago, this has been one of the most mature and educated post I have read, devoid of abuse, ethnic sentiment, political tones and absolutely insightful. I appreciate the guys that took their time to explain and educate others. People who jus read on have sure learnt alot.

There are a lot of ideas and knowledge I have picked up in the process. Once again,thanks very much for all he contributors.

I'm impressed with the calibre of comments
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by DexterousOne(m): 1:52pm On Jan 07, 2020
seyema:
Is it possible to become a lecturer in a university with 2.2 and a strong MSc grade?

Very possible
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Harus(m): 9:27pm On Feb 15, 2020
The best way to upgrade your hnd is to do top-up/hnd conversion program. It's a 2 yrs program.
Kwara state university Ilorin, Federal university Oye-ekiti and some private universities offer this program.

I'm currently in Kwara state university to change my hnd to Btech, electrical engineering.
I'm admitted into 300 level, 2 yrs duration, 3 semesters per year, #140K school fees per year, lectures Friday to Sunday. School fees payable instalmentally.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by cmoney22222: 11:09am On Feb 17, 2020
Sir can I get your number as I am interested in getting a form if it’s still available
Harus:
The best way to upgrade your hnd is to do top-up/hnd conversion program. It's a 2 yrs program.
Kwara state university Ilorin, Federal university Oye-ekiti and some private universities offer this program.

I'm currently in Kwara state university to change my hnd to Btech, electrical engineering.
I'm admitted into 300 level, 2 yrs duration, 3 semesters per year, #140K school fees per year, lectures Friday to Sunday. School fees payable instalmentally.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by arcdone(m): 5:03pm On Feb 17, 2020
Wow... This thread is one in a million, I really have more exposure to academia here..matured thread to learn from... I really appreciate the contributions of many here. Continue the good works, God will reward you guys miraculously
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Adeboye4421(m): 9:04am On Sep 16, 2020
Harus:

thanks for this info sir, please I want to know, will one be admitted into 300L of 400L of regular lecture time or weekend lecture time.

Also how is it possible to have 3 semesters in a single session, I thought it use to be 2 semesters per session.

Also when do 20/21 form will be out

is environment conducive for living for average students, also how cost is accommodation outside campus
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by parkervero(m): 4:16am On Dec 16, 2020
Harus:

If the programme is run for six semesters don't you think that is equivalent of starting from 200 Level?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Meet Malam Abba Gandu From Kano, Who Has Been Feeding Lions For The Pass 50yrs / Sleep With Me Or I Fire You - My Female Boss. / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.