Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home (4681 Views)

Need To Make Akara Chips, Who Can Help?? / Nigerian Akara Recipe: How To Make Tasty And Crunchy Akara For Breakfast / How Different People Behave When They Want To Buy Akara - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by Silvereze(m): 2:00pm On Nov 12, 2016
Today I tried to fry akara(bean cake) for breakfast and it was bad. It doesn't come anywhere close to the akara sold in the street. You know what I mean the soft, round, brown, and delicious akara sold by road side women. My own was flat, almost black and I couldn't even eat it because of the smell.

I have never seen any home made akara look as the ones sold outside. So I wanna ask foodlanders if anyone has been successful in frying akara to his or her satisfaction.

I even discarded mine....
see photos

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by matrixme(m): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2016
your first flaw is that you decided to take the easy path. Is that powdered beans I see there? and you want to achieve the same results as those who grind their own beans with mortar. It really don't work that way.
Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by Silvereze(m): 3:30pm On Nov 12, 2016
matrixme:
your first flaw is that you decided to take the easy path. Is that powdered beans I see there? and you want to achieve the same results as those who grind their own beans with mortar. It really don't work that way.

So what's the beans powder for?
matrixme:

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by matrixme(m): 3:33pm On Nov 12, 2016
Silvereze:

they are for obviously not so great tasting akara balls.

2 Likes

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by africanpea: 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2016
It's very possible, I do it often. Just add a teaspoon of baking powder to about 500grams of beans, add a little water into it. For the spices, I like to use suya spice in it and a little of extra pepper and seasoning.

Mix everything very well preferably with an egg beater and use table spoon to dispense into hot oil, note akara fries better when deep fried.

This should taste better than what you have up there.
Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by soonest(f): 10:52pm On Nov 12, 2016
No I have never and have never enjoyed any home made akara. I don't even bother any more. I simply buy outside. There's just something about commercial akara.

1 Like

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by Nobody: 6:29am On Nov 13, 2016
Hahahahaha, I just has to laugh at your Akara. I have made perfect Akara at home, this is how I did it:

(1) I bought beans from the market and washed off the skin, the same way we clean it off for moi-moi.

(2) I sliced onions and pepper into the now 'skin-less' beans to the market and grounded it with their grinding machines, instructing them to add very little water because it's for Akara. Most times they even ask u 'shey na for Akara or moi-moi?'

(3) When I got back home, I added salt/maggi (to taste)to the thick paste.

(4) I brought our my biggest frying pan and added a lot of groundnut oil, a lot more than required because the Akara will have to float. I heated the ocean of oil till it was smoking.

(5) Then I took a round shaped spoon and scooped the mixture into the hot oil, friend it until it turned reddish-brown

(6) I gave everyone a treat, was even better than the street akara.

5 Likes

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by HillaryD(f): 3:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
I do make perfect and delicious akara. use those big
brown beans not the packaged powered one.
step 2) peel the skin and soak it for at least one hour.
step 3) add enough Onion's,then pepper small dry time,ginger and crayfish then grind it and fry in deep oil.

1 Like

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by ajumsy1(f): 4:00pm On Nov 13, 2016
Your akara didn't go well fr some reasons like
1. You Used powdered beans dts y it's looking strong
2. Ur frying pan was a sticky pan reason fr the burnt part
3. The oil fr frying should nt be smoky hot. Moderately hot, n u have to control the temperature frm time to time. If it's too hot, the inside might still be raw bt the body will be looking done. If it's not hot, it will soak the oil.
4. There's no need fr Maggi, if u put enough onions, it will be sweet on its own. U can add ginger also, it gives it a nice taste n smell.

Tank u.

1 Like

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by HillaryD(f): 4:05pm On Nov 13, 2016
I do make perfect and delicious akara. use those fresh big
step 2) peel the skin and soak it for at least one hour.Then wash and sieve it.
step 3) add enough Onion's,then pepper ,crayfish then grind it.
step4) add salt only u don't need maggi to give it natural taste, the fry in deep oil.
NOTE.:The secret of sweet akara is the type of beans u use,the period u use in soaking it in water and enough onions you use.

2 Likes

Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by RoyalBlak007: 10:24pm On Nov 13, 2016
HillaryD:
I do make perfect and delicious akara. use those fresh big
step 2) peel the skin and soak it for at least one hour.Then wash and sieve it.
step 3) add enough Onion's,then pepper ,crayfish then grind it.
step4) add salt only u don't need maggi to give it natural taste, the fry in deep oil.
NOTE.:The secret of sweet akara is the type of beans u use,the period u use in soaking it in water and enough onions you use.

i once tried to make these...but it turned out horrible.
For me to make akara as good as this;i guess I'll need a 3month training cheesy
Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by Silvereze(m): 11:54pm On Nov 13, 2016
africanpea:
It's very possible, I do it often. Just add a teaspoon of baking powder to about 500grams of beans, add a little water into it. For the spices, I like to use suya spice in it and a little of extra pepper and seasoning.

Mix everything very well preferably with an egg beater and use table spoon to dispense into hot oil, note akara fries better when deep fried.

This should taste better than what you have up there.
Good luck!

Thanks. Will try it
Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by Silvereze(m): 11:59pm On Nov 13, 2016
I really learnt a lot from all your contributions. I appreciate
Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by Greekoyinbo: 11:53am On Nov 19, 2016
I also tried making it during Ramadan tasted bit grany I think I take all the skin off property.. mine tasted okay if wasn't so grany I think would been awesome haha..but mine didn't go black I suggest u put it low heat on pan or won't cook in the inside just outside.

Also I read that best if use actual beans not bean powder..anyways good luck!
Re: Have Anyone Ever Made A ' Perfect Akara' At Home by yetseyi(f): 2:39pm On Nov 20, 2016
The key is the amount of oil and the type of spoon used to place the akara on the oil.

Plenty oil, as if you want to deep fry then deepround spoon to serve the grounded beans.
Frying akara with little oil is like a disaster, it will soak the oil and it will most likely be flat not round shaped(spoon shape also influences this)

(1) (Reply)

Which Noodle Is King? (indomie, Chikki, Minimie, Golden Penny, Honeywell) / Nigerian Jollof And Ghana Jollof, Which Is Better? / This Weird Snake-Like Fish Is Sweeter Than Catfish — See It [Picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.