Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? (5413 Views)

Toyota To Share Its Patented Hybrid Car Tech With Other Automakers / Just Bought A Used Car? What Next? / You Too Can Identify A Hybrid Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by ajims(m): 7:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
Thanks Joe, will try that out.
TRYGO:
@ajims. If those codes are still there after replacing the sensors, there are other possibilities I'm thinking of.

* find out if your mechanic erased the codes after replacing those sensors, and enquire if he carried out a drive cycle, in order for the ECU of the car to learn a fix has being done.

########

%%% check if there's a short to ground between the wire harnesses.

%%% check for continuity on the sensors

%%% find out also if the mechanic interchanged the sensors the wrong way

%%% specifically check the fuses on the fuse box at the bonnet area. In some cars, oxygen sensors have got fuse/relays.

%%% check for power supply from battery to the sensors.

%%%trace the wiring harness that goes from the sensors to the ECU.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Joseph
Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by TRYGO(m): 8:57pm On Jan 20, 2017
@ajims. No problem brother!
Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by ikefor(m): 9:42pm On Mar 22, 2017
6. HYBRID BATTERY.
This is where many hybrid car owners get discouraged buying, or even contemplate selling their hybrid cars.
This is a DC battery with a combined nominal voltage in the hundreds. Though this varies from hybrid car brands and the vehicle type.
Refer to your car's manual for more info about the nominal voltage if your car.
This is the battery, with the real potential to electrocute, that powers your car's hybrid system(inverter/converter assembly, Ac system compressor, electric motors/generators, etc).
Any slight deviation from the car's standard voltage, would have negative impacts on your car, ranging from the car not starting, etc.
This type of batteries are different from the auxiliary battery, in such that their electrodes, are embedded in a highly conductive electrolyte(potassium hydroxide), in a well sealed battery pack.
They're save, environmentally friendly, and lasts more than the 12volt battery.

THE FIX: Don't park the car for more than a week, without driving it. If you won't be around for a long while, give it to a friend to help with cruising it in your absence **""""""""**********

Hi Joseph, good thread again. however, i would like to correct this general misconception about long parking a hybrid vehicle having an adverse effect on its hybrid battery.

Nimh, which is the widely used battery technology in most hybrid vehicles up until recently, have a characteristic of self discharge at about 0.1% per quarter. That means that without use, a block sitting at 16 volts, will likely be sitting at 14.4V at the end of 3 months, so will other modules/blocks in the same hybrid battery be if it is in a good shape. This is not a fault, its a characteristic of Nimh technology.

Consequently, if you long park your car for an extended time, say 4 weeks, and then you have a problem with the hybrid battery when you try to start the car afterwards, what has happened is that the rate of self discharge for some modules across the hybrid battery is higher that some others leading to a deviation in block (module pair) voltages which has been sensed by the battery ECU / Smart Unit thereby throwing the code. In such a situation, the hybrid battery has failed. Giving a friend to cruise the car or warm it does not FIX the condition but masks the issue for a later date.

What may be a better option for long storage will be to store the vehicle is a location where the hybrid battery is not exposed to high temperatures (like a shade) because self discharge rates are higher at higher temperatures. For instance, one can park the car and have it covered, if a prius, the tonneau cover must always be used to provide some shield to the hybrid battery pack.

I have had hybrid vehicles that have been parked for 3 - 6 weeks without any issues (no one warmed them).

Mr. Jossy > hybrids.com.ng
2005 Prius 1NZ-FXE
2007 Prius 1NZ-FXE
2010 Prius 2ZR-FXE
2015 Prius Plugin ZVW30

hybrids dot com dot ng

1 Like

Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by igbanbajo(m): 3:40am On Jun 27, 2017
igbanbajo:

I confirm gazzuzz's above assertion. My RX400h was the one he worked on which threw up a code on account of use of wrong engine oil. He sold me a Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt. to cure the ailment. Ever since I changed the oil the car has been super performing. Its sound has even changed.

Disclosure - gazzuz only pulled out the code and recommended the oil which I bought from him. He refused to do ordinary oil change pleading Company Policy not to touch hybrids. He however surprised me as he allowed a complete stranger walk away with his oil after having effected a bank transfer but without him having received a confirmatory alert.

Gazzuz,
I need you to pull another code for me.
When would you want me to bring it to your workshop this week from Wednesday?
Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:37am On Jun 27, 2017
igbanbajo:

Gazzuz,
I need you to pull another code for me.
When would you want me to bring it to your workshop this week from Wednesday?

Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by TRYGO(m): 12:24pm On Sep 11, 2017
@ikefor. I do understand this chemistries of those batteries as you've explained, vis-à-vis their SOC and DOD.

Thanks for the inputs.
How's work?
Re: Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? by Idaytesj29(m): 8:56am On Oct 06, 2021
I am getting a 2009 Camry Hybrid soon. I hope I enjoy the ride. Major reason is the fuel economy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are All Toyota Avalon V6? / Nissan Almera, Golf 3 And Nissan Micra, Which Is Most Rugged For Transport Biz / No Stabilizer Linkage On Corolla 2009?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.