Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

The Electoral Triumph Of Donald Trump. By Sir Don Ubani, Okwubunka Of Asa. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Electoral Triumph Of Donald Trump. By Sir Don Ubani, Okwubunka Of Asa. (410 Views)

Wife Of Donald Trump Junior Files For Divorce / Coffin & Dead Chicken Dumped In Front Of Ghana Electoral Commission's Office / See the Woman Who May Defeat Trump By 2020 To Become First US Female President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Electoral Triumph Of Donald Trump. By Sir Don Ubani, Okwubunka Of Asa. by mecedonia(m): 10:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
THE ELECTORAL TRIUMPH OF DONALD TRUMP. BY SIR DON UBANI, OKWUBUNKA OF ASA.
13TH NOVEMBER, 2016
Each time a victory is recorded in any field of endeavour, there is always the temptation for individuals, including the ones that were vehemently opposed to the subject of victory, to turn round to lay claims of absolute belief in the struggle.
This is why many critics only take post victory solidarity writings or speeches with a pinch of salt. This is more so in sub-saharan Africa where the trend is survival of the fittest.
In this part of the world, no body wants to be a loser. This is why truth is perceived as disrespect, disloyalty and for one to succeed within the societal frame-work, one has to be a pathological liar and a ruthless opportunistic sycophant.
I consider the above preamble necessary because of the sensitivity of this discourse.
Prior to this write-up, including the declaration of Mr Donald Trump as President-elect of the United States of America, I had not written any piece on the American Presidential election. I did not even bother myself predicting who would win or lose.
I, however, had a strong opinion on one of the major contestants; Mr Donald Trump.
About the middle of March 2016, I had gone to see the Abia State Commissioner for Works, Mr Eziuche Ubani, in his office at Umuahia but was told he was on his way to the office and, so, I decided to wait a little.
While I was in his reception, some persons, a good number of whom I did not know except a fairly-complexioned tall young man who is a Personal Assistant to Abia State Commissioner for Sports; Chief Chinwe Nwanganga, were discussing the chances of either Mrs Hillary Clinton or Mr Donald Trump becoming the next American President, a successor to incumbent President Barack Obama.
I remember all of them predicting the victory of Mrs Clinton as given.
According to them, every consideration favoured the female presidential candidate of the Democratic Party. Besides, opinion poll, all over the United States of America and the world over, projected her as a winner.
At the risk of sounding lonely, ignorant, unpopular and even stupid, I boldly told them that Mr Trump was 'my candidate'. This assertion spontaneously attracted cold surprises from them.
One of them who, in sharp reaction to my declaration, said he had lived for about thirty years in the USA wondered why a man of my height in the society could make such a statement.
He went further to elucidate his stand by saying that Mexicans, Arabs, Muslims and Blacks that indisputably constitute a very high percentage of the American population would, no doubt, effectively use their votes to guarantee the electoral failure of Mr Donald Trump. He concluded by describing Trump as a racist.
In order not to be seen as one who would make a claim without being able to substantiate it or, at least, give reasons behind such a claim, I told them my support for Trump arose from the facts that he was able to pronounce that the Muslim gangs parading as ISIS and Boko Haram are terrorists and should be seen, perceived and treated as such. To me, this was not only a bold statement but very apt, assuring and timely.
Again, were I part of the American electorate, I would have unmistakably voted for Donald Trump, irrespective of Party affiliation, because of his stated policy on immigration. He made it clear that America would no longer be a loose country for all manner of immigrants.
As long as I am concerned, respect should be accorded Mr Trump for taking the bull by the horn over this statement.
It is an open secret that Nigeria, for instance, has more natural resources than the USA.
Unfortunately and regrettably, Nigeria remains one of the most undeveloped countries of the world, with a high percentage of her citizens being afflicted by abject penury.
The irony of our situation is that Nigerian leaders and the bourgeoisie who do not have an American green card would think they have not arrived.
Corruption that is euphemism for Nigerian leaders is engineered by our leaders' penchant for extravagant display of affluence in foreign countries, especially the United States of America.
If our leaders in Nigeria could discipline themselves a little and develop positive interest in the affairs of their father land, we would have no need thinking of American green card.
May God strengthen President-elect; Donald Trump, to live up-to his election promises.
Don Ubani; KSC, JP
Okwubunka of Asa.

(1) (Reply)

Israel Ban Chrismas Idolatry Act / The Life Of Thomas Sankara..the Jewel Of Burkina Faso / President Akufo-addo’s Speech Plagiarised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.