Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Is PHP Dying? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is PHP Dying? (4587 Views)

Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? / Is Php Dying? Give Your Reasons / Why Is PHP So.........boring?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is PHP Dying? by noibilism(m): 3:28pm On Nov 14, 2016
Started in the year 1995, PHP is one of the popular server-side scripting languages designed for web development. Today, a big segment of the “server side website development industry” is dominated by PHP. Besides, many popular sites like Wikipedia and Facebook as well as CMSs like WordPress, Magento, Drupal, and Joomla are built on PHP.
Now these days, a question “is PHP dying or not” has become a moot point among web developers. Many people think that due to the arrival of newer programming languages like ruby, mean stack, python, lua, etc. PHP’s popularity is diminishing slowly. In this article, we will discuss whether or not PHP language is dying with the help of statistics because stats don’t tell lie!!!

http://www.pixelcrayons.com/blog/web/is-php-dying/
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 14, 2016
Lol...im not clicking through that link though.
All this Yeye posts reminds me of something :::The old thing is dead, long live the new about to be old thing

3 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 21, 2016
Jregz:
All this Yeye posts reminds me of something :::The old thing is dead, long live the new about to be old thing

Yeah, it's dying and that's why facebook is using it.

2 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 21, 2016
PHP is just an Html editor that grew too big for its britches.

Even facebook had to modify PHP,

I Disdain PHP. angry
Re: Is PHP Dying? by slightlyMad(f): 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2016
SirWere:

I Disdain PHP. angry

3 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by danidee10(m): 10:57pm On Nov 21, 2016
slightlyMad:

Keep on disdaining PHP, the main truth is that PHP can never die because a lot of companies have built their services with it.

Even if the authors abandon it, The community will keep on improving it

3 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by slightlyMad(f): 6:59am On Nov 22, 2016
danidee10:

Keep on disdaining PHP, the main truth is that PHP can never die because a lot of companies have built their services with it.

Even if the authors abandon it, The community will keep on improving it

i was just doffing my hat for the dude who, on a public forum with experts, called php an IDE

6 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by micodon(m): 8:22am On Nov 22, 2016
SirWere:

I Disdain PHP. angry

PHP is a Html editor My God!!! My God!!! I'm done with this earth. I'm moving to Jupiter

3 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 22, 2016
SirWere:

I Disdain PHP. angry

Most people who say this wrote php in the late 90s and I totally get that- the whole haterade stuff. The question is did you ? I started with 5.5 (late 2014) and no one was mixing php and html code together then. Mixing them together was a pre 2005 thing. Again were you writing php prior to 2005? . If not, you are just rephrasing stuffs you read on quora or some blog run by a sadist.

Slack, Tumblr, badoo didn't modify php right. ? And they are by every means a large startup... Facebook is a fucking big behemoth..even if they had used node, or any other fast stuff, they'd still modify it..

There's this talk from Keith Adams (used to work at Facebook, now slack ) that goes like "Taking php seriously".. He did it at both Facebook and slack. Funny enough, this guy happens to be one of the designers of what you called a "modified php"
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/php-history - - while at Facebook

https://slack.engineering/taking-php-seriously-cf7a60065329 - - at slack

Why did Google write go ?

Stop using Facebook as a comparison tool.

Stop acting like you are building the next Facebook (or something half the size) .. You won't. I won't either. No one probably will..

2 Likes

Re: Is PHP Dying? by uzoexcel(m): 6:01pm On Nov 23, 2016
Jregz:
Lol...I 'll borrow this quote @ theBolded
Re: Is PHP Dying? by appcypher: 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2016
noibilism:
Many people think that due to the arrival of newer programming languages like ruby, mean stack, python, lua, etc. PHP’s popularity is diminishing slowly. In this article, we will discuss whether or not PHP language is dying with the help of statistics because stats don’t tell lie!!!/
Erm... but Python, Ruby, Lua are older than PHP, except maybe Ruby which was released the same year.

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by Karleb(m): 5:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
Yes! I'm killing it.
Re: Is PHP Dying? by 2Pr3cise(m): 8:59pm On Nov 25, 2016
Gdevit.com is using PHP... I think PHP is powerful and cool
Re: Is PHP Dying? by cbrass(m): 4:37pm On Nov 27, 2016
This op just wants us to click his link, by the power of the most high I won't click it.

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by adenijiayo(m): 6:22pm On Nov 27, 2016
SirWere:

I Disdain PHP. angry

PHP isnt dying, it is people who write spaghetti PHP scripts are the one on the increase. And you wrote that PHP is an IDE, i shake head for you. Slack, Tumblr and Facebook uses PHP (and FYI, facebook uses HACK, a version of the "HTML EDITOR" called PHP)

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nascimento(m): 10:51pm On Nov 29, 2016
I don't like php. It might be loosing prominence in developed world, But it's not dying in Nigeria, probably because we are slow to adopt new technologies here. Infact most shops in Nigeria use php. It's not a bad idea to get a full grasp of it for the sake of most Nigerian shops.
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 30, 2016
Nascimento:
I don't like php. It might be loosing prominence in developed world, But it's not dying in Nigeria, probably because we are slow to adopt new technologies here. Infact most shops in Nigeria use php. It's not a bad idea to get a full grasp of it for the sake of most Nigerian shops.
Why don't you like php ? And I'm not trolling, trying to have a decent conversation
Re: Is PHP Dying? by ernieboy(m): 8:50am On Dec 01, 2016
slightlyMad:

i was just doffing my hat for the dude who, on a public forum with experts, called php an IDE
he may not even be smart enough to comprehend the sarcasm.

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by ernieboy(m): 8:58am On Dec 01, 2016
Nascimento:
it is not dying anywhere. according to this link php has a whooping 82.3% dominance of the server scripting market
https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language/all
Re: Is PHP Dying? by nasfem22(m): 3:48pm On Dec 01, 2016
as far has I know Php is used by 75 percent of all web servers, PHP is a general-purpose server-side scripting language that can't be compared with any. The main advantages of PHP is that it is open source, with a huge online community to support it, and that it’s compatible across multiple platforms. for people comparing php with Java please just stop it! that talk is so irritating..
so Op if you are finding it hard to comprehend PHP don't say it dying..

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by romme2u: 12:49am On Dec 03, 2016
who cares if php is dying or not. like every tool when it has outlived its usefulness, we abandon it and move to something better.
Re: Is PHP Dying? by micodon(m): 7:23am On Dec 03, 2016
romme2u:
who cares if php is dying or not. like every tool when it has outlived its usefulness, we abandon it and move to something better.

Everyone who uses PHP cares. Facebook cannot just abandon PHP and move to another language. It will cost them so much cos the bulk of their codebase is in PHP. One reason why they created HHVM.

Migrating to another language may not be as easy as you think depending on your area of expertise, codebase and time constraints

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by iluvpomo(m): 4:02pm On Dec 03, 2016
NairaLand uses PHP too cool
Re: Is PHP Dying? by iluvpomo(m): 4:05pm On Dec 03, 2016
micodon:

PHP is a Html editor My God!!! My God!!! I'm done with this earth. I'm moving to Jupiter
Next you will also read that Java is a DBMS grin

1 Like

Re: Is PHP Dying? by logicalhumour: 9:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
OP asked a simple question. The answer is No!. PHP is the most successful lang for the web.

People just read something from somewhere and run their mouths else where as if they know what they are saying. If u say php is not advisable. WHY? vulnerable to hacking? like the rest of the others? or what?

And to the "php a HTML editor/IDE guy..." you should have said Emacs (yhu too much grin )
Re: Is PHP Dying? by dahzle: 12:05am On Dec 10, 2016
That link though. Did anyone get to click it?
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 10, 2016
SirWere:

Even facebook had to modify PHP
Php is not an HTML Editor, rather it was innitially designed to be a templating engine for HTML. I left d PHP world also. But I still appreciate it for introducing me to the fundamentals of server side programming.
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 10, 2016
nasfem22:
as far has I know Php is used by 75 percent of all web servers, PHP is a general-purpose server-side scripting language that can't be compared with any. The main advantages of PHP is that it is open source, with a huge online community to support it, and that it’s compatible across multiple platforms. for people comparing php with Java please just stop it! that talk is so irritating..
so Op if you are finding it hard to comprehend PHP don't say it dying..

Lol. why would anybody compare Php and Java ?
Re: Is PHP Dying? by nasfem22(m): 10:39am On Dec 10, 2016
Noel1:
Lol. why would anybody compare Php and Java ?

check posters above
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 10, 2016
micodon:

Lol. I guess he wanted to say an HTML templating engine. It could be a slip-off fingers.
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 10, 2016
trolls by. . .
Re: Is PHP Dying? by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 10, 2016
dhtml18:
Take it or leave it, at the moment - in Nigeria at least, PHP developer makes more money than NODE.JS developer.
Don't mind them. Why develop a Java / Nodejs application u wouldn't be able to easily deploy. The Nigerian ecosystem is too slow to catch up with such technologies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help With A Small Qbasic Program / Javascript Is Very Very Powerful, It's Not Just Script. / Appointment Scheduler In Asp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.