Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,171 members, 7,825,658 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Why Is PHP So.........boring?? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Is PHP So.........boring?? (6421 Views)

Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? / Is Php Dying? Give Your Reasons / Is PHP Dying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 16, 2016
So, about a week or so ago; I started learning programming. I started with the basics: HTML; CSS and Javascript.

HTML was bulky at first because I was using normal Windows Notepad. It was not until I learn about HTML editors that Web development became intresting.

HTML became fun, rather than waste time typing tags in full; I just type some words and voilĂ , it appears!!!

I brushed through HTML feeling fly; and cocky.

Next came CSS. Even better than html because it gives you the chance to experiment with colors, backgrounds, pattern.

It also reduced the stress of creating tables, forms and the like.

All in all; a great language.

Next came Javascript. At first; I got exicted thinking it was JAVA, until I realized (was told actually); that it's not even related. That was a downer.

However, Javascript no be beans oo... Although, it's fairly easy to grab and has amazing capacities; The codes for it are a bit bulky and requires a bit of mental gymnastics to memorize the paths you take.

Javascript opened even more intresting applications...... I finally understood the javascript alert and could build basic arithmetic tables.

I can even write some basic equations.....all in Javascript.

After learning all those, I was happy. After all, I've learn how to create, beautify and perform operations on webpage. I'm set to build webpages, right

Wrong.

Little did I know that the monster called PHP was waiting for me.

From the beginning, it was boring.

From variables, strings, foreach loops,
mysql_real_escape_string.........

I would rather watch a 1927 chess match sadsadsad

So please, programmers in the house, tell me;

Why is PHP so boring

Is it a must I learn it

Are there alternatives

Cuz I feel like peeling my eyes out right now due to boredom.

*sighes*

Any advice, guys??
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 6:53pm On Oct 16, 2016
If PHP is too hard, try Java angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 16, 2016
talk2hb1:
Java too is boring
I give up!

1 Like

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by etoluw: 7:12pm On Oct 16, 2016
talk2hb1:
na wa o, e be like comparing dog (PHP) with tiger(Java).
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by toheebDOTcom(m): 7:18pm On Oct 16, 2016
^^^ poster fuckin.g drop the bomb!

So you haven't started using php, yet attacking it. issoright!

Anyways, like you've said, it could be your IDE. you can use netbeans, it's free, helps with syntax highlighting, and does provide a little 'about me' for the functions.

Another reason be the programming fever. just use stronghead and see how you will cope with time.

As far as you are building web applications, try and go for php. there's approximately no web hosting provider that does not have extensive support. The web has a lot of information you can't finish reading. easier to get help! blablabla...

if not php, go for python. however, have it at the back of your mind that you will need to learn django as well or any alternative.

for more questions, you can ask google. google is our friend, not police grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Ceekay212: 7:23pm On Oct 16, 2016
Baba try Ruby on rails....nobody will tell u to run to PHP
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 7:24pm On Oct 16, 2016
SirWere:

Java too is boring

I give up!
Congratulations, Programming is not meant for the faint heart angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 7:25pm On Oct 16, 2016
toheebDOTcom:

Anyways, like you've said, it could be your IDE. you can use netbeans, it's free, helps with syntax highlighting, and does provide a little 'about me' for the functions.

Another reason be the programming fever. just use stronghead and see how you will cope with time.

As far as you are building web applications, try and go for php. there's approximately no web hosting provider that does not have extensive support. The web has a lot of information you can't finish reading. easier to get help! blablabla...

if not php, go for python. however, have it at the back of your mind that you will need to learn django as well or any alternative.

Worst Advise for beginners
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 16, 2016
talk2hb1:

Congratulations, Programming is not meant for the faint heart angry
I thought una go even give word of encouragement or something....

Na wa oo; so Programmers dey bone face like dis gringrin
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 16, 2016
toheebDOTcom:

I'm not attacking it per se, just stating an observation.

Other languages were swift and fun to learn but this one?? PHP

Boring!!

And I still want to learn Java embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2016
SirWere:
I thought una go even give word of encouragement or something....
Na wa oo; so Programmers dey bone face like dis gringrin
Why Should I?
Nobody encourages me while learning, infact I was discouraged!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by SeunLanLege(m): 9:04pm On Oct 16, 2016
Php isn't the only server side language, try node js(Javascript) or meteor(Javascript)
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 16, 2016
Learn Ruby on Rails ..thank me later
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by 4kings: 11:00pm On Oct 16, 2016
SirWere python is a great and simple language to learn.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 17, 2016
The year is 2016 and you are learning php with mysql functions

2 Likes

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by worisj(m): 2:40am On Oct 17, 2016
Lmao same reason why i dumped php for python, But django too no be beans o, but its far more interesting than php!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by mokoshalb(m): 5:37pm On Oct 17, 2016

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 17, 2016
talk2hb1:
Why Should I? Nobody encourages me while learning, infact I was discouraged!!!!!!!!!

Chaii; So you must offer the same deadpan advice you were offered

Wicked angry
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 17, 2016
mokoshalb:
grin You are right, encouraging sometimes swells the head an makes u feel like a god, but when u build a mansion and a pro walk in and said, is this a kiosk..? then u will know you have buckle up!! cool

But a gentle advice, a nudge or two helps once in a while.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by mokoshalb(m): 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2016
SirWere:

But a gentle advice, a nudge or two helps once in a while.
maybe after 100 downs! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by gloryz24: 11:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
Learn the PHP basics and start learning some PHP framework. There are many to chose from but somehow Laravel is most popular lately. You can watch some tutorials on youtube or laracasts... It makes php more readable, secure and powerful.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by ugwum007(m): 8:03am On Oct 18, 2016
U can switch to jsp or JSF.... They are based on Java and can do everything php will do.

Am not a fan of php and have refused to join php's fan base.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by directonpc(m): 9:12am On Oct 18, 2016
Learning html and css isn't programming sha. (maybe javascript to some extent isn't too)

So OP it is "why is programming so boring"
Well I have 2 reasons why.
1. The kind of mind with which you view it.
2. Lack of learning aids/wrong usage of the aids u have.

I can guarantee you that in 2 months you will feel different about this subject if you are able to address 1 and 2.
I can provide assistance for a token for 2 months.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 9:26am On Oct 18, 2016
SirWere:

Chaii; So you must offer the same deadpan advice you were offered

Wicked angry
Guy I am a trainer, even if you pay me to train you I wont go easy on you.
Importantly, learning to program is easy, but solving programming problem no be yam (Not Easy DUDE); with this mind set of yours while learning wondering what type of programmer you might end up. Just imagine a Client consulted you for a project, would you turn your client down because you find the problem too difficult for you to solve? NOPE!!! you wouldn't do that, because it is considered professional HARAKIRI
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 18, 2016
directonpc:
Learning html and css isn't programming sha. (maybe javascript to some extent isn't too)

So OP it is "why is programming so boring"
Well I have 2 reasons why.
1. The kind of mind with which you view it.
2. Lack of learning aids/wrong usage of the aids u have.

I can guarantee you that in 2 months you will feel different about this subject if you are able to address 1 and 2.
I can provide assistance for a token for 2 months.

Thank you. I know that css, html and javascript is not programming per se; but the tutorial I'm following says 'PHP' is the first real insight to programming.

I'm a student right now, not even studying comp. Science or anything related.
I just felt like picking up some valuable skills and programming seems a valuable skill to have.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 18, 2016
talk2hb1:

Guy I am a trainer, even if you pay me to train you I wont go easy on you.
Importantly, learning to program is easy, but solving programming problem no be yam (Not Easy DUDE); with this mind set of yours while learning wondering what type of programmer you might end up. Just imagine a Client consulted you for a project, would you turn your client down because you find the problem too difficult for you to solve? NOPE!!! you wouldn't do that, because it is considered professional HARAKIRI

Mind you, I'm just doing this as a hobby. My studies don't even relate to anything computer related.

And I basically did not even want to learn web designing. I want to learn PROGRAMMING, the mysterious domains of the geeks and the talented.

I want to learn how to create algorithms, build useful apps; learn the inner workings of software and manipulate it to my purpose.

And I also want to learn Hacking. Who doesn't
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 11:13am On Oct 18, 2016
SirWere:

Mind you, I'm just doing this as a hobby. My studies don't even relate to anything computer related.

And I basically did not even want to learn web designing. I want to learn PROGRAMMING, the mysterious domains of the geeks and the talented.

I want to learn how to create algorithms, build useful apps; learn the inner workings of software and manipulate it to my purpose.
And I also want to learn Hacking. Who doesn't
Neither do I, in fact I have never been to any computer school before and not even a computer to practice with wink I learn everything by reading books and more books.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by ugwum007(m): 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2016
talk2hb1:

Neither do I, in fact I have never been to any computer school before and not even a computer to practice with wink I learn everything by reading books and more books.

You will be surprised to find out that your only books method won't work when you decide to get a computer to practice.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by talk2hb1(m): 12:12pm On Oct 18, 2016
ugwum007:

You will be surprised to find out that your only books method won't work when you decide to get a computer to practice.
Well you can come test me for that grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by Karleb(m): 12:24pm On Oct 18, 2016
ugwum007:

He's damn right. All you'll ever really need is book and more books.

If you ain't getting it, give yourself a break. If you still ain't getting it after that, then you should be in romance section.

1 Like

Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by directonpc(m): 12:28pm On Oct 18, 2016
SirWere:

Thank you. I know that css, html and javascript is not programming per se; but the tutorial I'm following says 'PHP' is the first real insight to programming.

I'm a student right now, not even studying comp. Science or anything related.
I just felt like picking up some valuable skills and programming seems a valuable skill to have.
Nice.
Re: Why Is PHP So.........boring?? by ugwum007(m): 12:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
Karleb:

He's damn right. All you'll ever really need is book and more books.

If you ain't getting it, give yourself a break. If you still ain't getting it after that, then you should be in romance section.

Reading books is fine and cool but only reading books without practice........check it na

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shoplog V2.3 (Inclusion of license fee) / Pls I Need Registration Key For Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition / Hospital Management System Program.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.