Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,861 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (635160 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 25, 2015
bibeetee:
Hello doc, I had ectopic pregnancy last year n my ryt tube was removed . Since then we av bn ttc. Tests revealed I av not bn ovulating and doc placed me on clomid. Pls r there supplements I can take to boost my chances. Dh is not around n av not started using it.

Just take multi-vitamins; make sure it has Folic Acid of at least 400 ug.

Please, try not take any other 'supplements' especially one you purchase outside prescription or recommendation from your doctor.

If you are overweight, loosing some weight by proper diet and exercise can help you get pregnant.

If you have diabetes, control your diabetes.

I recommend that you obtain the following tests: blood count, thyroid hormone (TSH, T4) and blood glucose level. Reason being; for your TTC events, you need to make sure your thyroid hormone is functional and glucose levels are near normal limits.

Don't hesitate if further questions.

Best.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
afolayan22:
Yes sir,I ave a brother he is into his 25th year bt he is more thine I veri slim nd he does consume food at lot bt he would fat!sir is any drug he use atleast to add little weight,if u see him u wil pity him!tank u sir

Diet:I need a detailed food diary. I know he consume food, but does he consume exactly. Does he eat balanced diet that contained proper amount of protein, carbs, fats, vitamins, fruits and veggies?

Hereditary: could be genetically inclined, has he always being skinny/thin? Other folks in the family thin?

Systemic issues: go to his doctor, and ask for thyroid hormone tests (TSH, T4), also rule out parasites with stool culture

Lifestyle: is he very active? Maybe he is expending more calories than he is putting in. In that case, either eat more or slow down a bit with his activities.

Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ikemeze: 10:56pm On Mar 25, 2015
hi xidanat,I have pain in my throat,shoulder bone and upper back pain. and also body itching.I went test on 12 march strap culture and they discovered there was moderate growth of streptococcus. I was given peflomed ( anti bacteria drug) to take for 7 days and I did another again on 23 march, nothing was found again.am still having body itching and throat pain.no score throat. I eat well without pain, no cough or sneezing.
what do I do?I send you pm to forward the test to you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 26, 2015
ikemeze:
hi xidanat,I have pain in my throat,shoulder bone and upper back pain. and also body itching.I went test on 12 march strap culture and they discovered there was moderate growth of streptococcus. I was given peflomed ( anti bacteria drug) to take for 7 days and I did another again on 23 march, nothing was found again.am still having body itching and throat pain.no score throat. I eat well without pain, no cough or sneezing.
what do I do?I send you pm to forward the test to you

I doubt strep or staph is causing this. I think you need to rule out autoimmune phenomena. Get an complete blood count and ANA test to start with.

I will email you later.

Thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ikemeze: 7:16pm On Mar 26, 2015
@xiadinat Thank you very much
I have done the blood count test and the result will be out tomorrow.ANA test is not available in my area awka.I have check where I will do it but I was referred to asaba.
am waiting for your mail.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by PipSurgeon(m): 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2015
nice one @xiadinat.. make me sef join try contribute.. status# medstudent
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2015
PipSurgeon:
nice one @xiadinat.. make me sef join try contribute.. status# medstudent

Ok. Please feel free....

That would be awesome.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mkbadeniyi(m): 7:55pm On Mar 27, 2015
Doctor please, am feeling discomfort and some kind of heat on my ribs the lower sides.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 8:31pm On Mar 27, 2015
mkbadeniyi:
Doctor please, am feeling discomfort and some kind of heat on my ribs the lower sides.

I need more information. Heat? Burning sensation you mean? Any rashes? Injury? How long have you had this? Any important medical history?

Put on ice pack, see if it helps. Take some ice cups, put it a bag or towel and place on affected area.

As long as this isn't your heart/lung (pain in chest, radiating pain, sweating, nausea, palpitations or short of breath), then no need to panic.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 27, 2015
ikemeze:
@xiadinat Thank you very much
I have done the blood count test and the result will be out tomorrow.ANA test is not available in my area awka.I have check where I will do it but I was referred to asaba.
am waiting for your mail.

This ANA may cost you money. So, you can wait on that until I obtain proper history from you.

Tell me more about this pain you have in detail: when it started, where exactly, describe pain, medical history? Medications you take, injury? profession?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by abayomi93(m): 10:10pm On Mar 27, 2015
Xiadnat:

Ok. Just treat the high blood pressure then. Engage in healthy lifestyle: exercise, low fat diet. Any drinks that have caffeine in it especially those energy drinks as well as coffee itself.

T wave inversion may or may not be pathologic (problem), that's why I said I needed to interpret it within the context of your history and the rest of the ECG tracings. Since you are young and based on what you have said, I suspect it is not terrible.

Just take the BP meds; and stop caffeine if you take them, get your thyroid hormone checked. Then, I suggest repeating the ECG at some point the near future. Should probably also re-check your BP.

Best.
doctor I think there cud be more to the BP. Bcus I recently startd having palpitaions,high anxiety,sweeting from hands nd limbs,frequent urination,dry lips nd muscular contraction.soo,the doctor askd me to do some test, such as; T4,T3 and TSH.though he gave me propanolol and typizol.pls what do u know of this drugs?I will be doing the test next week.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mkbadeniyi(m): 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2015
Xiadnat:

I need more information. Heat? Burning sensation you mean? Any rashes? Injury? How long have you had this? Any important medical history?

Put on ice pack, see if it helps. Take some ice cups, put it a bag or towel and place on affected area.

As long as this isn't your heart/lung (pain in chest, radiating pain, sweating, nausea, palpitations or short of breath), then no need to panic.
its been over 6 months now. Presently, I am lying on my side little discomfort and increase in temperature in my lower ribs, staring from the 3rd one not attached to the sternum.
No injuries, no rashes. I could remember I fell down some months ago with the lower part of my ribs hitting the ground.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jetworldpee: 12:35am On Mar 28, 2015
hi doc, I just notice some form of sebaceous sebum all over my face, look more like a very tiny zit which makes my face appear rough and very dull,I do exfoliate once in a week before and am good with my face until of recents it become rough and dull.
please help with my face as am not comfortable with my face looking lifeless.
in addition,no matter how smooth my nose regios is after exfoliation,within 2,3 days of exfoliating,the sebum will form quickly and look rough again(only my nose)
the cheek will survive through the whole week.
thanks doc.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by PipSurgeon(m): 11:39am On Mar 28, 2015
abayomi93:
doctor I think there cud be more to the BP. Bcus I recently startd having palpitaions,high anxiety,sweeting from hands nd limbs,frequent urination,dry lips nd muscular contraction.soo,the doctor askd me to do some test, such as; T4,T3 and TSH.
ur symptoms r consistent wit thyrotoxicosis.. u shud get d T3, T4 n TSH done.. d propanolol is to control ur BP n will reduce d palpitation.. among other signs r protruding eye. ur thyroid gland will enlarge moderately n hot also. u eating much but not getting fat.. after d test den a proper treatment, drug 1st or surgery afterwill surfix.. over to d senior doctor
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by PipSurgeon(m): 11:41am On Mar 28, 2015
and sorry av got no idea abt d other drug.. typizol..
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2015
abayomi93:
doctor I think there cud be more to the BP. Bcus I recently startd having palpitaions,high anxiety,sweeting from hands nd limbs,frequent urination,dry lips nd muscular contraction.soo,the doctor askd me to do some test, such as; T4,T3 and TSH.though he gave me propanolol and typizol.pls what do u know of this drugs?I will be doing the test next week.

Yea...those symptoms sound like hyperthyroidism symptoms and I did suggest you check you thyroid hormone on my prior posts.

Propanol is a beta-blocker given to combat the effects/symptoms of excessive thyroid hormone release such as your symptoms suggest (and that includes blood pressure)

I am not sure of typizol, is that the correct spelling? Perhaps methimazole or tapazole?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2015
mkbadeniyi:
its been over 6 months now. Presently, I am lying on my side little discomfort and increase in temperature in my lower ribs, staring from the 3rd one not attached to the sternum.
No injuries, no rashes. I could remember I fell down some months ago with the lower part of my ribs hitting the ground.

OK. you probably injured the rib cage, as in fracture and then possibly impinged intercoastal nerve (runs along the intercoastals/ribs) or the fractured/displaced rib is irritating your lung tissues.

I would get an x-ray to see if identifies a fracture. If other things can be ruled out, I would say nerve issues or irritated lung parencyma, then you might need something like gabapentin to dull the sensation. What have you tried for the pain?

Do you have any other symptoms at all however insignificant? it is important you rule out other causes.

Best
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2015
jetworldpee:
hi doc, I just notice some form of sebaceous sebum all over my face, look more like a very tiny zit which makes my face appear rough and very dull,I do exfoliate once in a week before and am good with my face until of recents it become rough and dull.
please help with my face as am not comfortable with my face looking lifeless.
in addition,no matter how smooth my nose regios is after exfoliation,within 2,3 days of exfoliating,the sebum will form quickly and look rough again(only my nose)
the cheek will survive through the whole week.
thanks doc.

How old are you? You are have excessively active propionibacterium; which lives on skin. You also making excess oil from your sebaceous gland as you astutely pointed out. Those oil clogs up the gland making environment conducive for bacterial to breed and multiply hence the acne.

Not much you can do right now about your excessive oily skin, but you can do something about the bacteria that's causing the acne.

I will recommend getting w/ prescription: benzoyl peroxide facial cleanser/wash first. Try that, if it doesn't effectively work, then add oral antibiotics such as clindamycin, tetracycline. Third and final resort is: retinoic acid; more complicated if you are female (teratogenic), but this is absolute last resort treatment.

Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 28, 2015
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 28, 2015
nazzyglad:
ello dr,pls I recently noticed somting like a growth around my private part.it is niether paining me nor gowing furtheer but I just feel uncomfortable with it.what do I do?

Are you sexually active, if so, then suspect condyloma accuminatum (warts) until proven otherwise.

Can you describe where it is anatomically? Like is it around or inside vagina? Near the labia, mons pubis, anus? etc. etc.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jetworldpee: 10:46pm On Mar 28, 2015
Xiadnat:

How old are you? You are have excessively active propionibacterium; which lives on skin. You also making excess oil from your sebaceous gland as you astutely pointed out. Those oil clogs up the gland making environment conducive for bacterial to breed and multiply hence the acne.

Not much you can do right now about your excessive oily skin, but you can do something about the bacteria that's causing the acne.

I will recommend getting w/ prescription: benzoyl peroxide facial cleanser/wash first. Try that, if it doesn't effectively work, then add oral antibiotics such as clindamycin, tetracycline. Third and final resort is: retinoic acid; more complicated if you are female (teratogenic), but this is absolute last resort treatment.

Good luck.
thanks for your prompt reply, by zit,my bad..I don't mean acne but very tiny like white substance on whole face, if you hard press your nose upward,it will pop out some ish like grounded "egusi".. that is what is on my entire face,just hope you got ma drill.. and beside I am a male but
.My face,my priority.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by rubylady: 7:56am On Mar 29, 2015
Good morning doctor, I am supposed to be 6 weeks pregnancy going by my last mp, i spotted for like 4 days also I did blood test that have a positive pregnancy result.
I then did a scan on the 5wks6day and the scan didn't show any pregnancy but this is the result below:
A non gravid, anteverted uterus(64.6mm ap)with homogenous myometal echo pattern and well defined endometrial plate is noted. No features of intra/extra uterine gestational sac seen. However multiple intramural fibroids of mixed echo patters is noted at fundal, posterior and anterior ( 15.8/14.7mm, 20.3/19.2mm and 14.8/ 17.2 mm) resp aspect of the uterus.
Both adnexae are normal with no evidence of bilateral ovarian cyst seen
Cul de sac is empty
Impression : acyesis

Sorry for the long post, am confused as to why I got a positive pregnancy result, what happen and what medications can I take for the above report cos I want to conceive soon by Gods grace?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gen2fella(m): 8:58am On Mar 29, 2015
Hello Doc.,
I have a daughter of less than a year and she doesn't fancy eating-anything going into her mouth. Eating is always wars, she will cry throughout and even throw up when she is angry. We have tried all available variant and makers of baby food. Doctors keep saying she is fine. What else can we do cuz she is losing weight
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by PipSurgeon(m): 11:03am On Mar 29, 2015
jetworldpee:

thanks for your prompt reply, by zit,my bad..I don't mean acne but very tiny like white substance on whole face, if you hard press your nose upward,it will pop out some ish like grounded "egusi".. that is what is on my entire face,just hope you got ma drill.. and beside I am a male but
.My face,my priority.
i still think everything is inline with her first paragraph. oily skin, over productive sebaceous gland n propionobacterium acne.. try her 1st n 2nd line of treatment n all shud b fine. use to hav it yrs back mine has resolved spontanrously
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 29, 2015
PipSurgeon:
i still think everything is inline with her first paragraph. oily skin, over productive sebaceous gland n propionobacterium acne.. try her 1st n 2nd line of treatment n all shud b fine. use to hav it yrs back mine has resolved spontanrously

Yep. What you said essentially. Thanks Pip.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 29, 2015
jetworldpee:

.My face,my priority.

I see. It is called Milia. Essentially similar treatment to acne. Keep face clean and dry and oil free as much as possible, wash face with good exfoliating cleanser that has retinoic or benzoyl or salicylic acid. Give it time, it will resolve. Just don't prick face too much cause it may form scarring.

Best
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2015
If you are certain the blood test was positive and a gestational sac (pregnancy) was confirmed per pelvic/abdominal ultrasound, then the spotting/bleeding x4days likely was miscarriage.

Fibroids can sometimes cause pregnancy loss, but usually with submucosal fibroids, less likely intramural, but it happens. The size of fibroids is also on the average. Pregnancy loss may be coincidental and not due to fibroids.

Is this your first pregnancy then? I mean what's your GP status? You can keep trying to conceive.

I would also go back to your doctor for follow up of possible miscarriage and fibroids, discuss possible implications on conceiving, if and whether treatment needed for the fibroids, why you may have miscarried in the first place.

Best.

rubylady:
Good morning doctor, I am supposed to be 6 weeks pregnancy going by my last mp, i spotted for like 4 days also I did blood test that have a positive pregnancy result.
I then did a scan on the 5wks6day and the scan didn't show any pregnancy but this is the result below:
A non gravid, anteverted uterus(64.6mm ap)with homogenous myometal echo pattern and well defined endometrial plate is noted. No features of intra/extra uterine gestational sac seen. However multiple intramural fibroids of mixed echo patters is noted at fundal, posterior and anterior ( 15.8/14.7mm, 20.3/19.2mm and 14.8/ 17.2 mm) resp aspect of the uterus.
Both adnexae are normal with no evidence of bilateral ovarian cyst seen
Cul de sac is empty
Impression : acyesis

Sorry for the long post, am confused as to why I got a positive pregnancy result, what happen and what medications can I take for the above report cos I want to conceive soon by Gods grace?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:14pm On Mar 29, 2015
gen2fella:
Hello Doc.,
I have a daughter of less than a year and she doesn't fancy eating-anything going into her mouth. Eating is always wars, she will cry throughout and even throw up when she is angry. We have tried all available variant and makers of baby food. Doctors keep saying she is fine. What else can we do cuz she is losing weight

Hm. When the doctors say she is "fine", have they run some tests to make sure it's not organic cause for her not accepting food.

Aside from rejecting food, Is she otherwise normal, active, symptom free child? Normal pregnancy and birth history?

Is she still breastfeeding? Weaning from breast feeding? Has she maintained weight previously and now loosing weight?

Assuming answers to aforementioned is insignificant or inconsequential, then she will outgrow it. It can be normal part of development. And, as frustrating as it is, it may take months before she is able to eat normally. Just keep trying even if you have to force it. Maybe she doesn't like baby food, can you try giving regular food but pureed, like mash it up?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gen2fella(m): 4:42pm On Mar 29, 2015
Thank you very much, your response is very helpful. As for the questions, normal birth, no complication during after birth and she is plauful with just some teething prob. We will watch outas u imply for some months and also try the othet option. Forgot to mention she was solely on breast feeding for six months , she mixed the two now. Thanks once again for the advise.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2015
gen2fella:
Thank you very much, your response is very helpful. As for the questions, normal birth, no complication during after birth and she is plauful with just some teething prob. We will watch outas u imply for some months and also try the othet option. Forgot to mention she was solely on breast feeding for six months , she mixed the two now. Thanks once again for the advise.

Yep. Teething will do that too. If she is weaning, then, do both breast feeding while slowing introducing baby food. That might go smoother.

Good luck
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 29, 2015
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by abayomi93(m): 7:00pm On Mar 29, 2015
Xiadnat:

Yea...those symptoms sound like hyperthyroidism symptoms and I did suggest you check you thyroid hormone on my prior posts.

Propanol is a beta-blocker given to combat the effects/symptoms of excessive thyroid hormone release such as your symptoms suggest (and that includes blood pressure)

I am not sure of typizol, is that the correct spelling? Perhaps methimazole or tapazole?

its tryptizol (amitriptyline), twynsta and propranol I take daily.I am tired of these drugs jarey.And I heard that propranol may take like a week before you start getting Some results

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.