Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,370 members, 7,853,655 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:01 PM

Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. (591 Views)

Please Why Is The Buhari Govt Killing Citizens And Hide Ing Their Bodies / The Citizens And The Army [an Abusive Relationship] / BREXIT, What It Means And How It Affects UK Citizens And Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 15, 2016
President Muhammed Buhari rode to power on the back of the "CHANGE" mantra. After three failed attempts at the polls, he was elected in a historical election in 2015. His campaign promises of tackling insecurity, improving the economy, and fighting corruption resonated well with the electorate, who overwhelmingly trooped out to vote for him.

Since his inauguration last May, his performance in office has been lacklustre. Although the war against corruption is being fought with admirable gusto, falling oil prices and militancy in the oil-rich Niger Delta have done incalculable damage to the West African nation economy. This has led to the shortage of dollars, which an import dependent nation like Nigeria needs. Consequently, the prices of food and other essential commodities have shot up, a situation that has further impoverished millions of Nigerians.

The President has taken a lot of flak from the press for his poor handling of the nation's economic crisis. He and his team have been severely criticized for their tepid response to the myriad of problems confronting the nation. Buhari has ceaselessly blamed his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, for the ailing economy and other challenges besetting the country. He accused Jonathan of superintending over the most corrupt administration in the history of the country--an accusation Jonathan has stoutly denied.

In the midst of these back and forth accusations, there has been a lacuna of communication between the president and his countrymen. Buhari, known for his reticence, seldom grants press interviews. In fact, since he came onboard, The Presidential Media Chat, an interface between the President and selected journalists, has been held once. This has created the impression of aloofness. The President also has the unfortunate knack for speaking to Nigerians through his media aides. Little wonder he has five of them!

It is sincerely hoped that Buhari will get back his lost mojo and arrest the nation's declining fortunes. But the beleaguered president must begin to apprise the nation of his efforts at pulling the country out of the current economic recession. Thus far, his taciturn nature has led to a steep fall in his popularity. Nigerians crave to hear their President speak. It is time the President spoke to the nation.

1 Like

Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by blackpanda: 6:02am On Nov 15, 2016
It is not just Buhari thats the problem but rather we as Nigerians play a huge part in our economic woes, especially the upper class. I was in a supermarket yesterday and a gentleman was paying for some groceries he bought. The total cost amounted to 75k. When I looked at what he was buying I just shook my head in dismay. Everything was imported and they were not even up to 10 items!

Why will u go and buy cereal for 4k when u have golden morn,nasco cornflakes etc thats less than 1k?? And yet you turn around to say Buhari is the one spoiling the economy Its just sad. I dont think we realise the deepp shit we are in yet.

1 Like

Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:04am On Nov 15, 2016
Confused President

2 Likes

Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by yjgm(m): 6:09am On Nov 15, 2016
This write up is the poo.
Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 15, 2016
blackpanda:
It is not just Buhari thats the problem but rather we as Nigerians play a huge part in our economic woes, especially the upper class. I was in a supermarket yesterday and a gentleman was paying for some groceries he bought. The total cost amounted to 75k. When I looked at what he was buying I just shook my head in dismay. Everything was imported and they were not even up to 10 items!

Why will u go and buy cereal for 4k when u have golden morn,nasco cornflakes etc thats less than 1k?? And yet you turn around to say Buhari is the one spoiling the economy Its just sad. I dont think we realise the deepp shit we are in yet.
This does not obviate the need for the President to speak to Nigerians about what is being done to lift the country out of the current economic crisis.

1 Like

Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 15, 2016
yjgm:
This write up is the poo.
How?

1 Like

Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by ybalogs(m): 6:23am On Nov 15, 2016
blackpanda:

Those that can't afford all these wouldn't give a Bleep about the "deep shit we're in". If everybody is affected same way now,we would have found a common ground to make things work but as it is,those really feeling the pangs will have to keep hoping and praying.
May God help us.
Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by ybalogs(m): 6:28am On Nov 15, 2016
bejeiodus:
This does not obviate the fact that Nigerians are in the dark about what is being done to lift the country out of the current economic crisis.
Obviously but why?Is that the norm or is it that we are just so ignorant as that to the steps that is being taken?
Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by blackpanda: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2016
bejeiodus:
This does not obviate the need for the President to speak to Nigerians about what is being done to lift the country out of the current economic crisis.

That is not for the President to say. I believe the Finance minister and cbn have been on air severally to address such issues. The President has already told nigerians his policy direction, how to achieve the policy is the job of the experts he employed. And I believe you are aware of ministry of finance agenda to mop up funds, cut recurrent expenditure and invest in infrastructure. U must not hear it from Buhari's mouth
Re: Disillusioned Citizens And A Reticent President. by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 15, 2016
blackpanda:

That is not for the President to say. I believe the Finance minister and cbn have been on air severally to address such issues. The President has already told nigerians his policy direction, how to achieve the policy is the job of the experts he employed. And I believe you are aware of ministry of finance agenda to mop up funds, cut recurrent expenditure and invest in infrastructure. U must not hear it from Buhari's mouth
Hearing it from Buhari's mouth would have a mollifying effect on the mass despair pervading the land. Aside the economic crisis, there are other pressing issues the President needs to publicly addressed.

(1) (Reply)

World Oldest President Robert Mugabe Won't Contest In 2018 Due To Health Issues / President Muhammadu Buhari Today Was Inducted As The Grand Patron Of The Nigeria / Why Rivers People Needs 3 Days Fasting - Gov. Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.