Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? (573 Views)

Obasanjo Advocates For Marijuana Decriminalization: What Does It Mean? / Happy Birthday To A Patriot / Blessing Agbomhere's Book "Heart Of A Patriot", A Book About Buhari, Launched (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 2:53pm On Nov 16, 2016
What Does it Mean to Be a Patriot?

Patriots are those who have a love for their country and take pride in the nation, even if their loyalty results in the sacrifice of their own life or requires them to speak out against their own government’s actions. Some patriots can be outspoken and unabashedly loyal to their country, while others display their pride differently based on their individual beliefs and experiences. The meaning of the term can vary depending on the state of affairs of the nation, political leadership and general loyalty felt by citizens toward their country.

Patriotism Defined

Patriots remain loyal to their country, passionately demonstrating a love for the country as a whole regardless of government affairs. For many, identifying as a patriot gives them a virtuous sense of belonging and community. Patriots often feel called to fight for the overall welfare of their country through words or actions. They may also make personal sacrifices to improve the health and well-being of the country.

Evolution of Patriots

Patriotism was discussed throughout the 1700s, and continued to make its way into political discussions and other verbal expressions well into the 20th century. After that, common usage of the term waned. The country experienced a resurgence of patriotism in the late 1980s with the growth of communitarianism, which promoted individual responsibility for the betterment of the community and nation. Today, the term continues to describe a deep-seated love and devotion for country.

Patriots in Opposition

Patriots do not necessarily openly agree with government and might be quite vocal in their opposition of government actions. As a July 2008 "Forbes" article points out, more citizens may identify as a patriot during times of political unrest or instability. War in particular, more than any other political or social situation, tends to cause more citizens to identify as a patriot. However, those feelings of patriotism are often fleeting for a large majority of citizens, especially when they do not feel their country is acting appropriately during times of war or when there are large numbers of wartime casualties.

Modern Patriots[b][/b]

During periods of war or terrorism, modern patriots are compelled to speak out against government policies or actions that do not lead to the best situation for the nation as a whole. Other more simple acts of patriotism are openly displaying the country’s flag or signing up to serve in the armed forces. Veterans of war are often considered the ultimate patriots for risking or giving up their lives to fight for the betterment and safety of the nation.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by limeta(f): 2:57pm On Nov 16, 2016
Patriots in Opposition

Patriots do not necessarily openly agree with government and might be quite vocal in their opposition of government actions
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 3:01pm On Nov 16, 2016
limeta:
Patriots in Opposition

Patriots do not necessarily openly agree with government and might be quite vocal in their opposition of government actions

Sis how are you doing ?

I agree with you

We must all strive to make our country great once again

We should criticize where necessary and commend where they did well
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by limeta(f): 3:07pm On Nov 16, 2016
sarrki:

Sis how are you doing ?

I agree with you

So how you see buhahi government
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by limeta(f): 3:10pm On Nov 16, 2016
Politics / Re: President Buhari To Court: You Have No Power To Stop Judges Prosecution by sarrki(m): 12:13pm
Baba

My president

Nigerian president

President of the progressive

President of the wailers

President of all presidents

You have spoken well

We need more of your military action than this DEMOCRAZY

sarrki:

Sis how are you doing ?

I agree with you

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 3:13pm On Nov 16, 2016
limeta:

So how you see buhahi government

On my on kpi (key performance indicator not excellent but not doing bad

He needs to do more

He makes us to see how corrupt is our system

I commend him on the curtail of insurgency

I also commend him in blocking the wastage in govt spending

I will also commend him for the ongoing federal road construction

The truth is he needs to do more
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by richidinho(m): 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2016
You need to criticize the government of the day when necessary. e.g a patriotic Nigerian will not support the mask wearing DSS breaking into peoples house at Midnight

A patriotic Nigerian will not support flouting of court orders by the govt of the day

grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by LadyExcellency: 3:40pm On Nov 16, 2016
What patriotism is not I believe is "supporter of APC", I mean Janjaweedism
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 3:42pm On Nov 16, 2016
LadyExcellency:
What patriotism is not I believe is supporter of APC, I mean Janjaweedism

Your excellency I didn't get that
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by pheyikemi: 3:43pm On Nov 16, 2016
Wiaris patriotic9jaboy when you need him?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2016
richidinho:
You need to criticize the government of the day when necessary. e.g a patriotic Nigerian will not support the mask wearing DSS breaking into peoples house at Midnight

A patriotic Nigerian will not support flouting of court orders by the govt of the day

grin grin

The looters broke the law of our dear country
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by LadyExcellency: 3:48pm On Nov 16, 2016
sarrki:

Your excellency I didn't get that

Patriotism comes naturally and not forced.

Even those Biafrans that seem unpatriotic always support Eagles and Falcons during football matches.

In Olympics, they support Nigeria irrespective of ethnicity of the flag bearers.

Inequality and lack of "sense of belonging" is the problem.

We all are patriotic to an extent except when hurt by the system/government.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 3:53pm On Nov 16, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Patriotism comes naturally and not forced.

Even those Biafrans that seems unpatriotic always support Eagles and Falcons during football matches.

In Olympics, they support Nigeria irrespective of ethnicity of the flag bearers.

Inequality and lack of "sense of belonging" is the problem.

We all are patriotic to an extent except when hurt by the system/government.

I can't but agree with you

Let's all make our country great once again
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by limeta(f): 4:20pm On Nov 16, 2016
sarrki:

On my on kpi (key performance indicator not excellent but not doing bad

He needs to do more

He makes us to see how corrupt is our system

I commend him on the curtail of insurgency

I also commend him in blocking the wastage in govt spending

I will also commend him for the ongoing federal road construction

The truth is he needs to do more

sarrki, sarrki. Even you i commend you....lol
you can ve hope on him but don,t lie for him..lol again
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by sarrki(m): 4:23pm On Nov 16, 2016
limeta:

sarrki, sarrki. Even you i commend you....lol
you can ve hope on him but don,t lie for him..lol again

grin

Sis I see baba goes wrong I will criticize him

I don't follow blindly sis
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by wowmenow: 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2016
Patriots are people who say who says the truth irrespective of who is involved.

Not clown kids like sarki

Who support everything about buhari foolishly
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by limeta(f): 4:29pm On Nov 16, 2016
sarrki:

grin

Sis I see baba goes wrong I will criticize him

I don't follow blindly sis

I trust you sarrki

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Patriot? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2016
Make i quote one of My lecturers..
(Benedict Anderson, 1983)
"The Highest Demonstration of Nationalism(Patriotism) is the Willingness to lay down one's life in defense of the State".........DR.J.O Arowoshegbe

(1) (Reply)

Atiku And El-rufai And The Battle For 2019 / EFCC, DSS Slam Travel Ban On 15 Judges / VC, Ogunlewe To Spend Night in Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.