Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,413 members, 7,954,650 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:56 AM

New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms (24555 Views)

NEW Construction - 3 Bedroom Bungalow - Executive Design / New Construction Of A Block Of 6 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms In Enugu East. / New 8 Flats Of 3 Bedrooms Construction In Enugu City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by olukaywilson: 10:13am On Apr 16, 2017
Hi guys, am erecting a 4 units of 3 Bdrm. Just want to check if following quote is within range:
- Aluminum roofing N1,050,000
- 46 casement Aluminum window sN900,000
- Plastering of interior, exterior, floor and soak away N800,000 (labor only)
- Iron door: 4ft by 7ft N75,000
3ft by 7ft N23,000
- Iron rail for stairs & balcony N380,000
- Window burglary N250,000
Thanks
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 10:50am On Apr 18, 2017
Work almost concluded here, waiting for the roofing to start before the finish.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by deluxecad(m): 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2017
Fabulous job Mr. Spyder

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 8:50pm On Apr 22, 2017
deluxecad:
Fabulous job Mr. Spyder

Thank you Sir.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 7:21am On Apr 27, 2017
Ready for the roof...........

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by Luchitec(m): 6:22pm On Apr 29, 2017
Hi Spyder, do you have the contact information of the architect who designed this building?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2017
Luchitec:
Hi Spyder, do you have the contact information of the architect who designed this building?

Send me a whatsapp message 0803 335 0750
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 2:56pm On May 24, 2017
spyder880:
More work planned for today. .......
A fan that just started developing interest in construction and infrastructural development in general, so expect some naive questions. smiley

Looking at these images, ain't the mats for the column starter bars supposed to sit on blinded surfaces. Read somewhere that it's not appropriate for irons to have a direct interface with the soil.

Please clarify.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 7:41pm On May 24, 2017
joseph1013:

A fan that just started developing interest in construction and infrastructural development in general, so expect some naive questions. smiley

Looking at these images, ain't the mats for the column starter bars supposed to sit on blinded surfaces. Read somewhere that it's not appropriate for irons to have a direct interface with the soil.

Please clarify.

Meant to test the space of the column base, we have not even started turning the concrete then. There was a 100mm blinding before the mats were placed, and a further 225mm concrete fill for the columns bafore a 300mm level blinding before starting to set blocks.

Keep the questions coming, welcome.

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 8:12pm On May 24, 2017
spyder880:

Meant to test the space of the column base, we have not even started turning the concrete then. There was a 100mm blinding before the mats were placed, and a further 225mm concrete fill for the columns bafore a 300mm level blinding before starting to set blocks.

Keep the questions coming, welcome.
Thanks. Really appreciated.

Let me rephrase your explanation in my own words. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

After excavation, there was a 100mm blinding, then the mats were placed. Then a 225mm concrete fill was done before the starter column bar was placed. Then another 300mm was poured to hold the column in position.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 8:18pm On May 24, 2017
spyder880:
Getting ready for the setting out.

Can you kindly explain a bit about the art of setting out for construction as it's tailored towards Nigeria?

Do you measure exactly what is on the drawing or there are some tips one should not miss as it's so easy to make these mistakes on ground on site?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 8:21pm On May 24, 2017
spyder880:
The column bases are being excavated....
Why do they make the column bases deeper than the trenches? What's the structural argument?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 8:25pm On May 24, 2017
spyder880:
Bringing in cement, the Elephant 'Supaset'
I know that I've not been to a lot of sites, but the few ones I have been to never use Elephant cement, they all go for Dangote, so I was taken aback by this. Is there a reason you opted for Elephant? Does the name 'supaset' connote something to the professional?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by Nobody: 12:13am On May 25, 2017
Mr Spyder880, this remarkably nice. Well done Sir.

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 6:04am On May 25, 2017
joseph1013:

Why do they make the column bases deeper than the trenches? What's the structural argument?

That's the foundation design, column bases are made to be deeper to contain more concrete which provides a thicker base than the trench lines.

2 Likes

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 6:11am On May 25, 2017
joseph1013:

Can you kindly explain a bit about the art of setting out for construction as it's tailored towards Nigeria?

Do you measure exactly what is on the drawing or there are some tips one should not miss as it's so easy to make these mistakes on ground on site?

We measure to confirm if the land is as large as it is on paper, but the main work in setting out is the positioning of the building inside the land. You should take care to consider a lot of factors, always bear in mind the future occupants of the house, the plan for parking, setbacks and general livability. Then you can go to the figures, make sure to use the measurements as spelt out by qualified architects, setting out is not a tough as feared, experience makes it easy.

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 6:24am On May 25, 2017
joseph1013:

Thanks. Really appreciated.

Let me rephrase your explanation in my own words. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

After excavation, there was a 100mm blinding, then the mats were placed. Then a 225mm concrete fill was done before the starter column bar was placed. Then another 300mm was poured to hold the column in position.

In these three pictures, I will explain more

The first picture is the excavation, then the column base sunk to planned specification.

The second picture is the first concrete blinding, usually 75mm-150mm depending on what your building plan specifies, the column mat is then placed, and the column starter bar is set, and tied to position.

The third picture is the second blinding after we have set the column starter bar. You can still see some part of the mat. But there will still be another final concrete cast, raising the thickness to the specified gauge on the structural drawings.

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 3:27pm On May 27, 2017
spyder880:

In these three pictures, I will explain more

The first picture is the excavation, then the column base sunk to planned specification.

The second picture is the first concrete blinding, usually 75mm-150mm depending on what your building plan specifies, the column mat is then placed, and the column starter bar is set, and tied to position.

The third picture is the second blinding after we have set the column starter bar. You can still see some part of the mat. But there will still be another final concrete cast, raising the thickness to the specified gauge on the structural drawings.
Excellent explanation.

Please explain what is meant when the specification says that cover to main reinforcement to be 20mm in Slab, 25mm in Beam, 30mm in Column and 50mm in Foundations.

Why the disparity in the elements?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 3:38pm On May 27, 2017
joseph1013:

Excellent explanation.

Please explain what is meant when the specification says that cover to main reinforcement to be 20mm in Slab, 25mm in Beam, 30mm in Column and 50mm in Foundations.

Why the disparity in the elements?

Due to the fact that different structures are meant to serve different functions, the structural engineer designs different building according to the intended use and the amount of live load its expected to carry.

Those specifications you mentioned above are the way the structural engineer decided to design the slabs, beams or columns. Concrete cover is the expected gap of concrete cast expected to coat the reinforcement rods.

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 3:58pm On May 27, 2017
spyder880:
We have started doing the reinforcements for the columns...........
I can see the beam reinforcement here. If a beam is 300 x 600, which is the height and which is the width?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 3:09pm On May 31, 2017
I have a question: How do you make provision for a staircase during the construction of the sub structure? Or perhaps a better question is to ask at what stage is provision made for a staircase and its various elements in a building construction?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by spyder880(m): 5:31pm On May 31, 2017
joseph1013:
I have a question: How do you make provision for a staircase during the construction of the sub structure? Or perhaps a better question is to ask at what stage is provision made for a staircase and its various elements in a building construction?

You can make provision for the staircase at the sand filling/compaction stage, by marking out a 1200 x 600 space at the very point of the step base and leaving it without a concrete cast when the over site concrete is being cast.

1 Like

Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 6:05pm On May 31, 2017
spyder880:

You can make provision for the staircase at the sand filling/compaction stage, by marking out a 1200 x 600 space at the very point of the step base and leaving it without a concrete cast when the over site concrete is being cast.
I was going through some threads and saw where reinforcement was left at the space where the staircase will be. I was curious why.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 6:54pm On May 31, 2017
Question: If the volume of concrete needed for a dpc is 22m3. Using a mix ratio of 1:2:4, what is the quantity of bags of cement, tonne of sand, and tonne of gravel needed?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by johnson232: 7:06pm On May 31, 2017
joseph1013:

I was going through some threads and saw where reinforcement was left at the space where the staircase will be. I was curious why.
Stairs are reinforced like slab. remember they are suspended.
but don't be offended, your questions always crack me up... cheesy
Are u a student of building, architecture or civil engineering?
I really admire your quest for knowledge....
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 7:18pm On May 31, 2017
johnson232:

cheesy Thanks. I'm not offended. I'm aware I'm asking loads of silly questions. cheesy

So, you leave the space for the staircase with reinforcements coming out. Then at what stage do not return to it to do the staircase itself?

I'm none. Building construction just fascinates me and have always wanted to know more about the technicalities of what makes strong and durable structures.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 7:22pm On May 31, 2017
johnson232:

I was reading about anchorage in reinforcement, but didn't really get the nuances well. Can you explain it in layman's terms for me?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by johnson232: 8:28pm On May 31, 2017
joseph1013:

cheesy Thanks. I'm not offended. I'm aware I'm asking loads of silly questions. cheesy

So, you leave the space for the staircase with reinforcements coming out. Then at what stage do not return to it to do the staircase itself?

I'm none. Building construction just fascinates me and have always wanted to know more about the technicalities of what makes strong and durable structures.
@bold 1; When it is time for the decking.
@bold 2; Nice...
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by johnson232: 8:33pm On May 31, 2017
joseph1013:

I was reading about anchorage in reinforcement, but didn't really get the nuances well. Can you explain it in layman's terms for me?
Anchorage in reinforcement is when u attach two rods together or to something else to ensure it doesn't loose...hooking...
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 4:59am On Jun 01, 2017
johnson232:

Anchorage in reinforcement is when u attach two rods together or to something else to ensure it doesn't loose...hooking...
Ah...like when you place column bars on top of the base reinforcement and hook it up? Makes sense that way.
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by joseph1013: 9:36am On Jun 03, 2017
johnson232:

Usually reinforcements have a length and often one needs more than one reinforcement for a span, so we need to join the bars. How do you know the length to lap the rods?

Example, a length of rod is about 12m(?). If you need to arrange it in a 20m beam, what is the lapping length to use in the new rod?
Re: New Construction Of 8 Flats Of 2 Bedrooms by johnson232: 5:24pm On Jun 03, 2017
joseph1013:

Usually reinforcements have a length and often one needs more than one reinforcement for a span, so we need to join the bars. How do you know the length to lap the rods?

Example, a length of rod is about 12m(?). If you need to arrange it in a 20m beam, what is the lapping length to use in the new rod?

600mm is the lapping length

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Real Estate In Nigeria Is The Best Business You Should Put Into Account / Landlords And Tenants' Rights In Nigeria / Idris Salako Visits Magodo Wetland, Restates Zero-tolerance For Illegal Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.